Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Samuelson has "great" official visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TonyC - nice post.
The other issue is chemistry with coaches and teammates and I think coaches more so as they are a fixed commodity. There are a number of good coaches out there that can take a motivated kid and develop them and surround them with good talent. We all agree on this board the best at this is Geno and Co. but it only works if the personalities mesh - if they don't it is no fun for either party.
And location matters as well - yes basketball is important, but if you hate cows and country and want to be in a big city, then however good the chemistry is, the 70% of your life not spent in the gym is not going to be pleasant.
I think Uconn is a great location for serious, talented WBB players to grow, but some on this board seem to think it is ideal for everyone and Geno is ideal for everyone.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
“It’s totally on her,” Bonnie Samuelson said of her youngest sister’s recruitment prior to the Cardinal’s semifinal game with UConn. “Karlie and I have been very supportive of her. We told her wherever she’s going to be happy and wherever she fits in the best, that’s where she should go.

“We’re going to support her no matter what. That’s what sisters do.”

Not Stanford.....if one reads between the lines.

I have no information in this scenario... but this is the same type of statement that Nneka made when Chiney was deciding what college to play for. It's a genuine statement and it's what sisters who are close and support each other feel. They are letting KLS take her time to find the school that is the right fit for her - whether it be Stanford, UConn, Notre Dame or elsewhere.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have no information in this scenario... but this is the same type of statement that Nneka made when Chiney was deciding what college to play for. It's a genuine statement and it's what sisters who are close and support each other feel. They are letting KLS take her time to find the school that is the right fit for her - whether it be Stanford, UConn, Notre Dame or elsewhere.

I come from a very close family and it never occurred to me this wasn't just a statement of support.

Uconn would be lucky to get a young lady from this wonderful family.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I come from a very close family and it never occurred to me this wasn't just a statement of support.

Uconn would be lucky to get a young lady from this wonderful family.

It was a reply to OCHoopsfan who said we should read between the lines and that Stanford was out if the picture.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was a reply to OCHoopsfan who said we should read between the lines and that Stanford was out if the picture.
I know that.

I was just stating my opinion on the sister's statement as you did.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So it's not possible to be sincere in an email? Sheesh. She said she had a great visit. I think we all know that alone doesn't mean she'll choose UConn.

When people ask me how I am doing, I say "great," even if I am having a crappy day. Great is an overused word.

Now, I don't doubt that she had a great visit to UCONN, but the use of that word hardly means anything.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who knows...maybe KLS is tired of her sisters and wants to get as far away from them as possible. My sisters could live 3,000 miles apart and it wouldn't be far enough for them.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I dont pay much attention to what recruits say when the come and leave from their visits. They're going to be polite and respectful no matter what they think. The more they come visit, well I think that shows me there is some real interest. What it comes down to is will they play, start and what do they want which again is, will I play or start at some point and how long do I have to wait. This is tuff. We have 4 guards coming in and Stewie MoJeff Chong and Tuck and will she be heathly. We have KML Banks and Kiah in their last season. So where is the room? The room is we need some height. We need players to replace Kiah KML and KLS looks to be the choice to do that.

So as far as Haley goes I think she saw 4 very good guards coming in and Durr in the wings and yes Duke needs guard so that was a good choice for her, and dont forget Sierra Calhoun is going to Duke. As far as KLS. We need her height and her shooting ability. So yes there is room for her to play and most likely start sooner then later. But what does she want. Her sisters are at Stanford. She also has ND on her list and they're loaded with height and just can't seem to get by UConn. Stewie has 2 more years so having KLS on a wing with Stewie we have a terrific high low and outside threats for Stewies final season. IMO it up to her and whether she wants to play for UConn or follow her sisters.

Remember this. UConn doesnt have to sell themselves. Everybody knows what UConn offers....championships. The question is who's coming in and is there room to play and start and when will those two things happen. My guess is if KLS and Durr come they will be playing alot and starting right after KML Stokes and Stewie gradate. As far as other coaches. They really can't compete with UConns record so they will have to press the issue of their conference, and offer playtime. Lets face for the past two seasons UConn was solid at the starting positions. That wont change much next season especially if Tuck is healthy. However KML and Stokes graduate opening the door for starting positions.
Nailed it Tony- I kind of like our chances from what the sisters said- this is perfect timing for her to be filling in as the 3 and 4 and bet plenty of minutes off the bench her freshman year.

Reaction Score
I dont pay much attention to what recruits say when the come and leave from their visits. They're going to be polite and respectful no matter what they think. The more they come visit, well I think that shows me there is some real interest. What it comes down to is will they play, start and what do they want which again is, will I play or start at some point and how long do I have to wait. This is tuff. We have 4 guards coming in and Stewie MoJeff Chong and Tuck and will she be heathly. We have KML Banks and Kiah in their last season. So where is the room? The room is we need some height. We need players to replace Kiah KML and KLS looks to be the choice to do that.

So as far as Haley goes I think she saw 4 very good guards coming in and Durr in the wings and yes Duke needs guard so that was a good choice for her, and dont forget Sierra Calhoun is going to Duke. As far as KLS. We need her height and her shooting ability. So yes there is room for her to play and most likely start sooner then later. But what does she want. Her sisters are at Stanford. She also has ND on her list and they're loaded with height and just can't seem to get by UConn. Stewie has 2 more years so having KLS on a wing with Stewie we have a terrific high low and outside threats for Stewies final season. IMO it up to her and whether she wants to play for UConn or follow her sisters.

Remember this. UConn doesnt have to sell themselves. Everybody knows what UConn offers....championships. The question is who's coming in and is there room to play and start and when will those two things happen. My guess is if KLS and Durr come they will be playing alot and starting right after KML Stokes and Stewie gradate. As far as other coaches. They really can't compete with UConns record so they will have to press the issue of their conference, and offer playtime. Lets face for the past two seasons UConn was solid at the starting positions. That wont change much next season especially if Tuck is healthy. However KML and Stokes graduate opening the door for starting positions.
I'd say more than guards, Duke needs competent coaches.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I heard that too many months ago.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I'd say more than guards, Duke needs competent coaches.
Coach P really hasn't seamed to get the most of the talent she has had. I have to say- I always liked her when I watched her on the sidelines of Mich State was it originally? Even at Duke- to me she looks and and acts like a coach. I had a 5 minute chat with her in Nashville at a reception we attended after the seminars. She was really endearing and my buddies and I really enjoyed her. I still want to continue to beat the Dukies by 30 annually- but I really like coach P- she is really easy to like. She was still upset about being seeded with UConn- first line out of her mouth when we met- and obviously I had my 89 perfection / streak shirt and UConn hat on!

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is a "great" picture of De'Janae Boykin (from left), Napheesa Collier, Duke verbal Haley Gorecki and Katie Lou Samuelson outside UConn's new practice facility construction site. This photo could prove helpful for future Boneyard discussions on height. ;)
espnw_e_samuconn_300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When people ask me how I am doing, I say "great," even if I am having a crappy day. Great is an overused word.

Now, I don't doubt that she had a great visit to UCONN, but the use of that word hardly means anything.

I am in total agreement here. It reminds me about all the times I have gone out and buy a pair of shoes with the most helpful clerks anyone would want. At the end they all seem a bit bewildered that I decided to shop further, after having used the words great, fantastic, etc. Bostonians will remember the joke from CarTalk: 'Why have you chosen to buy .... I like red ...' There is no science in buying anything or deciding where to go and play bb-- only personal biases. Otherwise Uconn would be doing 100% of the picking every year- if every kid wanted to win an NC. As Bria said about her underclassmen- 'they are spoiled ..' So are we at. We can no longer fanthom a top recruit with a high bb IQ wanting to play at Duke or BC over Uconn, ND, etc. Maybe the like the Gothic building, they are Catholic, family connections ...

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is a "great" picture of De'Janae Boykin (from left), Napheesa Collier, Duke verbal Haley Gorecki and Katie Lou Samuelson outside UConn's new practice facility construction site. This photo could prove helpful for future Boneyard discussions on height. ;)
View attachment 5888
To have totally accurate discussions of height- which are sure to come- we will need exact identification of footwear also. If I can get that, I will make the run to shoe stores, or order each on Amazon. Then I will micrometer the width or "heighth" of each shoe. And then we can really "discuss" these kids heights in much more detail and have a truly meaningful discussion for maybe a month or so in June or July or August. If u can PM me that info, I will handle the rest!

Reaction Score
Good lord people. Here's my 2 cents: I went fishing around for some youtube video of our recruits and the first one I found was on Samuelson and it started with her talking about wearing #12 for the U-16 (18?) team last summer and she wore that because that's Tarausi's number.

I'd say that's a good sign.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good lord people. Here's my 2 cents: I went fishing around for some youtube video of our recruits and the first one I found was on Samuelson and it started with her talking about wearing #12 for the U-16 (18?) team last summer and she wore that because that's Tarausi's number.

You mean the one posted 5 posts above yours? :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A beautiful and articulate young woman with model looks and the camera loves her.

+1 beautiful on the court, too. I mean, that shooting stroke. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom