ACC expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
During the 1990 season, the group of independent teams included the Noles along with Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, South Carolina and over a dozen more teams.

I know that I am dating myself, but I was sitting in the stands before Bobby Bowden came in 1975...those 15 years of indy play under Bowden were great years for a fan (but you had to travel).

Reaction Score
I actually find most SU fans, in person, to enjoy the rivalry and for it to be a, largely, friendly one. It's just those misanthropes on the Syracuse board that have a weird obsession with us.
Big difference in how someone behaves face-to-face versus hiding behind the cloak of the internet.

Reaction Score

The paragraph that laid it out...

So in the end, there was not enough support among the ACC presidents. Adding just to add, with zero financial benefit, did not make sense to the four schools not in favor, according to multiple sources. Still, ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said as recently as July 27 -- the day Colorado left for the Big 12 -- the league would continue to actively consider adding teams, with an emphasis on finding value in any expansion option.

Reaction Score
The paragraph that laid it out...

So in the end, there was not enough support among the ACC presidents. Adding just to add, with zero financial benefit, did not make sense to the four schools not in favor, according to multiple sources. Still, ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said as recently as July 27 -- the day Colorado left for the Big 12 -- the league would continue to actively consider adding teams, with an emphasis on finding value in any expansion option.
There isn't anyone left to add of value other than UConn. They are tied by the ACC ESPN contract. When the GOR is near its end, the raiding will start.

Reaction Score
2036 is a long way off. Everything depends on what financial shape ESPN is in and who their media partner will be. At the end of day, the SEC and the B1G might grow to 20 teams and the ACC or the B12 whichever survives will also have 20 teams.

Reaction Score
2036 is a long way off. Everything depends on what financial shape ESPN is in and who their media partner will be. At the end of day, the SEC and the B1G might grow to 20 teams and the ACC or the B12 whichever survives will also have 20 teams.
Or like the baby bells they all break apart

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The nature of a conference affiliation could change quite a bit as the massive linear deals roll off. There are going to be some winners and losers within the current conferences.

Reaction Score
The nature of a conference affiliation could change quite a bit as the massive linear deals roll off. There are going to be some winners and losers within the current conferences.
Whoever doesn't already have facilities would be foolish to build them. California and West Virginia are experiencing massive shortfalls because of all they've invested in buildouts recently. If schools don't heed their troubles, they are liable to make things extremely bad in a decade.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Whoever doesn't already have facilities would be foolish to build them. California and West Virginia are experiencing massive shortfalls because of all they've invested in buildouts recently. If schools don't heed their troubles, they are liable to make things extremely bad in a decade.

West Virginia’s problems are mostly a function of joining the growth rat race for students without considering that they were WVU and kids didn’t want to go to the school or the state unless they had already been rejected everywhere else. I read that WVU has capacity for 33% more kids than they actually have, and the demographic cliff starts next year.

Reaction Score
"Due on the vine." Some feel the same way about UConn basketball.

“If you put those two schools in the ACC, it’s going to be so easy for them to recruit nationally. So it will just benefit them in my opinion, not us,” Dorrance said. “There’s no way I want to share the glory of our conference with two schools that could do a very good job recruiting against us.”

He continued: “So basically I want Cal and Stanford die on the vine."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

“If you put those two schools in the ACC, it’s going to be so easy for them to recruit nationally. So it will just benefit them in my opinion, not us,” Dorrance said. “There’s no way I want to share the glory of our conference with two schools that could do a very good job recruiting against us.”

with their alumni, Cal and Stanford could take every single player of UNC's team the last day the Transfer Portal was open for the next 5 years, without even putting a dent in their financial firepower. Dorrance needs to choose his enemies a little better.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

What a dumb-@$$ statement- Can't believe his AD or President are happy about the optics of such a rash public comment- even if they feel the same way.

Reaction Score
with their alumni, Cal and Stanford could take every single player of UNC's team the last day the Transfer Portal was open for the next 5 years, without even putting a dent in their financial firepower. Dorrance needs to choose his enemies a little better.
Sure they could, you're so unbelievably clueless.

Reaction Score
I mean conference realignment is a giant “dying on the vine”. Everyone involved, from presidents to coaches to tv execs, have already written off the Cougars and Beavers. Isn’t really nicer saying it behind closed doors.

Reaction Score
Dorrance is the Women's Soccer Coach at UNC...

Nuff said

UNC was runner up to Stanford in 2019

In the last 8 years...FSU has won 3 NC's, Stanford won 2, and UNC 0

Stanford has 3 NC's since 2010 in Women's Soccer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
West Virginia’s problems are mostly a function of joining the growth rat race for students without considering that they were WVU and kids didn’t want to go to the school or the state unless they had already been rejected everywhere else. I read that WVU has capacity for 33% more kids than they actually have, and the demographic cliff starts next year.
Nothing to do with the demographic cliff. That’s a convenient excuse for massive mismanagement. Half a billion in new buildings and athletic facilities and no way to pay for it. It’s mismanagement. I always flat out reject this idea of a demographic cliff when you realize we had 9.5m students at 4 yr institutions in 1969 and now we have 10.5m. Back then total population was under 200m. This is all by design, it’s a choice.

Reaction Score
My main point is that, if TV revenues are going to contract, you’re going to damage your university if you take on huge loans you can’t pay back

Reaction Score
Dorrance is the Women's Soccer Coach at UNC...

Nuff said

UNC was runner up to Stanford in 2019

In the last 8 years...FSU has won 3 NC's, Stanford won 2, and UNC 0

Stanford has 3 NC's since 2010 in Women's Soccer.
Billy, i don't know who needs to hear this, but no one here gives a flying chicken cluck what FSU accomplishments are. Nuff said.

Reaction Score
Just pointing out that after an unprecedented run of Women's Soccer NC's...UNC has gottem pricklish about the competition of late...

And bringing in a competitor like Stanford didn't tickle the UNC coach's fancy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom