ACC expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only reason moving to the ACC would make sense for us would be for the additional media revenue. If we join at such a discount where the increase would be negligible, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

SMU has an advantage in that they have donors who would be both willing and able to underwrite the lack of revenues, we aren't in that position.

I also still have a strong desire to get to where we are above all ACC schools as an athletic program and tell them to kiss our backside if they finally come around as extend an invitation.

Reaction Score
The only reason moving to the ACC would make sense for us would be for the additional media revenue. If we join at such a discount where the increase would be negligible, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

SMU has an advantage in that they have donors who would be both willing and able to underwrite the lack of revenues, we aren't in that position.

I also still have a strong desire to get to where we are above all ACC schools as an athletic program and tell them to kiss our backside if they finally come around as extend an invitation.
The same can be said for the big 12. First, we need a seat anywhere. Then we aspire to be part of the P2.

Reaction Score
Big money greed is parasitical. It infiltrates its host and its uncontrolled appetite eats away at the very thing it feeds upon until it leaves a dead mutilated carcass. College sports is slowly being eaten alive by wiseguys who care for nothing but how they get more and screw the rest.

Reaction Score
So now smu is better then uconn.
Texas is better than Connecticut for everything that matters here. Having access to recruiting and a large population that is interested in college football = money, better recruits, and better media contracts in the future for ACC teams.

Reaction Score
The same can be said for the big 12. First, we need a seat anywhere. Then we aspire to be part of the
If we get a b12 invite it will be a disaster for BC and Syracuse athletics.

Reactions: GG

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The same can be said for the big 12. First, we need a seat anywhere. Then we aspire to be part of the P2.
The B-12 would also have operated as a bridge that would have had an exit ramp within sight.

Make no mistake, it would have been a marriage of convenience (just as the BE is and the ACC would be) but I don't believe (when it appeared as a possibility)
anyone proposed that we join the B-12 without reasonable compensation. This doesn't mean demanding a full payout immediately (an initial 50% share would still be roughly triple the BE payout), but the suggested discounts (I imagine a knee jerk reaction to the SMU story) would lead us to at best a lateral move financially.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Big money greed is parasitical. It infiltrates its host and its uncontrolled appetite eats away at the very thing it feeds upon until it leaves a dead mutilated carcass. College sports is slowly being eaten alive by wiseguys who care for nothing but how they get more and screw the rest.
Really its just feeding the natural arms race of competition. Institutions want more money because they want options and the ability to stay relevant with the next school. Get up the arms race (money) at your peril.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So now smu is better then uconn.
If by "better than UConn" you mean "free", then, yes, I guess.

SMU to the ACC has the same energy as the desperation adds to the big east right before the C7 walked out the door. It feels more like death throes, than strategy.

CL82

Reaction Score

SMU would be for going about 9 million a year. Not an insurmountable amount of money to make up. Connecticut would before going about $4M/yr which would be easy enough for the state to absorb, if it chose to. I am certainly not advocating it, I'm just pointing out it's not insurmountable amount of money.

Reaction Score

I think just getting our football team in the conference is a huge upgrade from our current situation. The Acc has the former big east rivals we’ve been scheduling and attempting to schedule as an independent anyway and then it adds in a conference championship to play for and bowl tie-ins. I think those things are critical for getting football where it needs to be both the quality of the team and fan support. Not saying I’d definitely do it, I’ll trust Benedict and the rest of the admin to know how hard to negotiate and what works for us financially but if our only 2 options are stay where we’re at or accept way less money I lean towards the latter.

Reaction Score
The ACC could have positioned itself to be #3 if it had made the right moves, which it hasn't. Not that anything can be predicted anyway. Maybe it is planning on being mostly privates and high academics once the football powers bail and to be considered the Ivy-like FBS conference. Differentiate. Duke, BCU, ND, SU, Wake, Berkeley, Stanford, SMU, Rice, Tulane, Navy

SU fans hate UConn but you will find some reasonable posters who understand that rivalries are actually good for sports.

GG

Reaction Score
The Syracuse board is speculating on who the ACC should invite. App State, Marshall, Coastal Carolina.
No mention of UConn.
Of course the ACC commissioner cannot understand that Yormark may eventually head east and work on NYC and the surrounding area. Apparently, the ACC has no desire to protect its turf.

GG

Reaction Score
The Syracuse board is deranged when it comes to UConn.

You might as well be getting respiratory health advice from Phillip Morris.
If Syracuse was smart, they would add UCONN because regional rivalries make sense and may help their ailing basketball team.

CL82

Reaction Score
The ACC could have positioned itself to be #3 if it had made the right moves, which it hasn't. Not that anything can be predicted anyway. Maybe it is planning on being mostly privates and high academics once the football powers bail and to be considered the Ivy-like FBS conference. Differentiate. Duke, BCU, ND, SU, Wake, Berkeley, Stanford, SMU, Rice, Tulane, Navy

SU fans hate UConn but you will find some reasonable posters who understand that rivalries are actually good for sports.
I actually find most SU fans, in person, to enjoy the rivalry and for it to be a, largely, friendly one. It's just those misanthropes on the Syracuse board that have a weird obsession with us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with the ACC is that there is a broad range of viewership...with Duke and Boston College brining up the bottom and even North Carolina in the bottom third.

Are there any "draws" left that will slot into the top half of viewership?

Reaction Score
Sounds like FSU needs to go indy if they are that valuable instead of being held back by their conference.

Reaction Score
If Syracuse was smart, they would add UCONN because regional rivalries make sense and may help their ailing basketball team.

Yes. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Syracuse Admin is throwing up over the prospects of SMU and Tulane in the ACC.

The Syracuse board is filled with a bunch of old cranks that have been traumatized by UConn.

You literally will get more rational takes on CSNBBS and that place is filled with toothless idiots.

Reaction Score
Syracuse fans still think they are an attractive add for the B1G when it comes time. Now that's funny.

Reaction Score
Sounds like FSU needs to go indy if they are that valuable instead of being held back by their conference.

Indy is not an option....no sweet Notre Dame deal to park non revenue sports. I believe that the Irish are the only Indy that can challenge in the CFP....I loved FSU in the independent years when non football sports were in the Metro Conference.

Oh where did all the indy's go? Gone to conferences, almost every one, long time passing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom