A Boneyard Memory | The Boneyard

A Boneyard Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is a memory of two former Boneyarders (unless one of them is on here with a handle I don't know). Icebear's observance that I don't usually call posters out like I recently did reminded me of the time I was once called out on here. OSouthBranch was new to the Boneyard at the time and posting at a prolific rate. This was back in the day when Stanford, Rutgers and Duke coaches were greater villains than Summitt because of things they said. I tended to be evenhanded about Tennessee, or at least tried to be, and OSouthBranch called me out as a Tennessee fan in a pejorative way.

A long time poster to the Boneyard, LaserT, was tremendously more upset about this than I was. He sent me a couple of private emails to console me. Actually, it was first through his email that I learned I had been called out. He also asked me to forgive OSouthBranch because the guy really did mean well. The whole incident was a little surreal because I apparently did not take what transpired on the BY as seriously as either of them. Being called a Tennessee fan didn't bother me, I'm sure I've been called worse, though I really can't think when ;) .

For the newer posters, LaserT was a lovable favorite on here who has since passed away. Elzorro comes to mind as perhaps a close comparison. I'm not sure what happened to OSouthBranch, though he once was as prolific a poster as Ice or esd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure what happened to OSouthBranch either. He was one of the few I have met in person that actually remembered me (by face) from here on the BY. He also lives/lived? up here north of the border. IIRC, he was still pretty prolific right around the time the tornado came through Springfield. He had a lot of tree damage and such and was off line for a bit. After that he came back a couple times and then.....nothing??? Haven't seen him at any of the games either. :( Was always a nice guy. If you are out there lurking OSouthBranch, come on back.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Sounds like something out of Oz. Or perhaps the Summitt had something to do with the disappearance, as they were really capable of anything as they proved beforehand and to lesser extent since.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Bob (LaserT) was a former hockey goalie and a devotee of a racehorse he once owned (thus his handle) and his passing saddens me still. Tom (OSB), a former Marine, persistently distinguished himself by his uncommon combination of wit and wisdom in his BY posts, characterized by erudition. Personally, he was one of the finest people I have ever known. I hope he is ok for I/we certainly miss him here.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The last I heard of OSB was when he and Mrs. Z and I attended the Kentucky playoff game at URI back in 2011. He seemed in good fettle. I will try emailing him. He is indeed one of the finest. So was LaserT. It is a fine (but totally undeserved) compliment to be mentioned in the same post as these.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tom... SB is a cool dude. Its been a few years since we chatted (around the storm time). He worked in Hartford, not sure if he's still there.

He gathered tickets to UConn games for girls in state care (my previous employer). donated school supplies as well. He's a personal favorite of mine (along with Blake )Hopefully he still has his lucky cap

:)

Reaction Score
I didn't have the pleasure of meeting LaserT but did meet Tom (Southbranch). One of the nicest people you can meet! Hope everything is ok with him!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The last I heard of OSB was when he and Mrs. Z and I attended the Kentucky playoff game at URI back in 2011. He seemed in good fettle. I will try emailing him. He is indeed one of the finest. So was LaserT. It is a fine (but totally undeserved) compliment to be mentioned in the same post as these.

I saw Southie at a game this past season, think it was in Hartford. He said he's doing well and he did, in fact, look good.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Uhhhh....Looks like you are really in the bag, Nan.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
This is a memory of two former Boneyarders (unless one of them is on here with a handle I don't know). Icebear's observance that I don't usually call posters out like I recently did reminded me of the time I was once called out on here. OSouthBranch was new to the Boneyard at the time and posting at a prolific rate. This was back in the day when Stanford, Rutgers and Duke coaches were greater villains than Summitt because of things they said. I tended to be evenhanded about Tennessee, or at least tried to be, and OSouthBranch called me out as a Tennessee fan in a pejorative way.

A long time poster to the Boneyard, LaserT, was tremendously more upset about this than I was. He sent me a couple of private emails to console me. Actually, it was first through his email that I learned I had been called out. He also asked me to forgive OSouthBranch because the guy really did mean well. The whole incident was a little surreal because I apparently did not take what transpired on the BY as seriously as either of them. Being called a Tennessee fan didn't bother me, I'm sure I've been called worse, though I really can't think when ;) .

For the newer posters, LaserT was a lovable favorite on here who has since passed away. Elzorro comes to mind as perhaps a close comparison. I'm not sure what happened to OSouthBranch, though he once was as prolific a poster as Ice or esd.

OSouthBranch is doing just fine. Here's the skinny:

I keep in touch with SouthBranch on a regular basis. He is one of my most precious UConn friends. He had some health problems two years ago; but he has "been repaired under warranty " and is happy and healthy now. His home in Springfield was right in the path of the tornado a few years ago. It blew down all the trees in his yard; but none of them fell on his house.

Today is the 39th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. SouthBranch.

"Southy" doesn't follow the Boneyard much anymore; but I keep him up to date on the big issues with Geno and his heroes. Southie has season tickets and goes to all of the UConn home games with a long term friend and veteran Husky fan. Whenever I come down from Vermont to CT to see "our girls" play, I almost always stay at the South-Branch "estate" in Springfield --- and travel to and from the games with Southie.

Southies long term favorite hobby is coaching softball pitchers. His team started this past spring season 0-8. Then won 12 in a row and the took the league championship. Southie taught one of his rookie girls to pitch really well!

For those who don't know much about OSB, he is an American History buff --- very widely read on the Revolutionary and Civil War periods. He is a delightful gentleman and conversationalist. And, of course, a very knowledgeable UConn WBB fan. He sends "best wishes" to all of his old UConn and Boneyard friends.

sTu

Reaction Score
I sit with Tom at many games. As Olde Coach says, he is a delightful person. Wonderful sense of humor. Maybe we will all get together this year for food and cheer at Willington Pizza for pre-game?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'll add my accolades for Tom. A really nice guy and great poster in the past.

More importantly, how was he able to kick the boneyard habit? A stronger drug than heroin, what was his cure for this insidious place? My wife would pay a fortune to get me on that program.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Anybody else out there have a mental image of folks rummaging in their sofa cushions to send Mrs. DD spare change?:p

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I sit with Tom at many games. As Olde Coach says, he is a delightful person. Wonderful sense of humor. Maybe we will all get together this year for food and cheer at Willington Pizza for pre-game?

If somebody puts this together, I'll pay for the pizza.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Uhhhh....Looks like you are really in the bag, Nan.

It's football season. The bag stays until the football team gives me a reason to remove it.

BTW, borrowed the bag from my husband, the Notre Dame football fan. He doesn't need it anymore.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If somebody puts this together, I'll pay for the pizza.

Sounds good. When the schedule comes out with locations, we'll set something up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OSouthBranch is doing just fine. Here's the skinny:

I keep in touch with SouthBranch on a regular basis. He is one of my most precious UConn friends. He had some health problems two years ago; but he has "been repaired under warranty " and is happy and healthy now. His home in Springfield was right in the path of the tornado a few years ago. It blew down all the trees in his yard; but none of them fell on his house.

Today is the 39th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. SouthBranch.

"Southy" doesn't follow the Boneyard much anymore; but I keep him up to date on the big issues with Geno and his heroes. Southie has season tickets and goes to all of the UConn home games with a long term friend and veteran Husky fan. Whenever I come down from Vermont to CT to see "our girls" play, I almost always stay at the South-Branch "estate" in Springfield --- and travel to and from the games with Southie.

Southies long term favorite hobby is coaching softball pitchers. His team started this past spring season 0-8. Then won 12 in a row and the took the league championship. Southie taught one of his rookie girls to pitch really well!

For those who don't know much about OSB, he is an American History buff --- very widely read on the Revolutionary and Civil War periods. He is a delightful gentleman and conversationalist. And, of course, a very knowledgeable UConn WBB fan. He sends "best wishes" to all of his old UConn and Boneyard friends.
Great to hear OC. Thanks for the info.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's football season. The bag stays until the football team gives me a reason to remove it.

BTW, borrowed the bag from my husband, the Notre Dame football fan. He doesn't need it anymore.
Oh they do, all ND football fans do, they are just to narcissistic to realize it. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really enjoy the OP and the other observations posted - I remember OSB and certainly enjoyed his posts in previous years, but can't say I remember LazerT. This is a strange modern community that we form and unique in terms of sports forums I visit in that I do feel a sense of connection to most of the posters even though I am aware of having met only two and that very briefly.
Part of the community feeling I believe is greatly enhanced by having a very strong police force for our community and praise is due to our moderators. Our discussions often meander off point, but seldom devolve into the idiotic vitriol and or personal attacks the predominate most forums - and when they do, they are quickly quashed. The general civility it seems also allows more posters on this board to give glimpses behind the mask of anonymity that is the general rule for our internet lives. I enjoy getting those bits of backstory.
Based on the above and during the doldrums of the off-season I have a question - would it be appropriate to add a profile section to the forum that posters could choose to fill in or not? Alternatively, would a thread in which posters shared some background about themselves be appropriate?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I got to know LaserT over the years...always commencing our chats with much wisdom [?] about the team.
He would often present himself as a perpetual grouch and then would take considerable pleasure when that view was adopted by those who did not know him.
He was one serious UConn fan...a special affection for Dee. He was a world class photographer among his skills.
It is nice to read accounts of past Boneyarders...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom