2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2023-24 South Carolina regular season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She is terrific. If so, I think Ashlyn would start at the 5, Kiki at the 4 and Breezy at the 3. If Chloe can expand her range to 3, she’d be the heir apparent to Breezy in 25-26. Joyce and Chloe would backup the 4 and Adhel and Kiki would backup the 5.

Reaction Score
She is terrific. If so, I think Ashlyn would start at the 5, Kiki at the 4 and Breezy at the 3. If Chloe can expand her range to 3, she’d be the heir apparent to Breezy in 25-26. Joyce and Chloe would backup the 4 and Adhel and Kiki would backup the 5.
And Feagin will do what? Wait her turn another year?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
And Feagin will do what? Wait her turn another year?
Feagin will get minutes if she stays. It's all about "what do you want?" Feagin can rest assure that she will get drafted. Look at Amihere. She rode the bench her entire career outside a few starts at point guard. The WNBA scouts are not dumb. They scout these players, and they know how Dawn utilizes her girls. If Feagin wants another title she will stay. If she wants to improve her draft status (it's questionable if a transfer will do that) then maybe she leaves. This "starter" role is not that big a deal at South Carolina. There are bench players who play more minutes than the starters on a given night. They either buy in and win...or they don't and go somewhere else. It didn't seem to help Rivers (NC ST.). She is still not a top player at her position even though she is one of her team's best players. She is inconsistent and it gets more magnified now than it did in the past.

Reaction Score
Feagin will get minutes if she stays. It's all about "what do you want?" Feagin can rest assure that she will get drafted. Look at Amihere. She rode the bench her entire career outside a few starts at point guard. The WNBA scouts are not dumb. They scout these players, and they know how Dawn utilizes her girls. If Feagin wants another title she will stay. If she wants to improve her draft status (it's questionable if a transfer will do that) then maybe she leaves. This "starter" role is not that big a deal at South Carolina. There are bench players who play more minutes than the starters on a given night. They either buy in and win...or they don't and go somewhere else. It didn't seem to help Rivers (NC ST.). She is still not a top player at her position even though she is one of her team's best players. She is inconsistent and it gets more magnified now than it did in the past.
But Dawn does have to consider team spirit and unity. Our nine minus Cardosa are extremely loyal and unselfish to each other. They have been readed for Joyce Edwards to step into Kamilla’s spot?. Are they ready to see the rotation expand to ten with the addition of an “outsider?

Not saying it is impossible but Dawn has to consider it

Reaction Score
It's not about coming off the bench. It's about she's in her final year and pretty much has sat there while being recruited over or whatever you might call it. SO adding the role of backing up some new additions (again) or as the poster suggested backing up backups (lol)wouldn't sit right with me personally. Let them come off the bench if it 's not a big deal.

At this point, she needs to look out for herself. My observation has been that she's a pretty good player, just seems that they forget she's sitting over there at times. If I put my business hat on....I'd give up a championship, go play for LSU and empty their NIL coffers on the way out the door. This portal frenzy I see is more about getting more exposure than not being happy. Look how many of these kids are their teams' top scorers. Problem is...they aren't visible enough until they get crushed by some power conference team in the tourney. Fame over in 3 hours. Nike aint paying for 3 hours.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
But Dawn does have to consider team spirit and unity. Our nine minus Cardosa are extremely loyal and unselfish to each other. They have been readed for Joyce Edwards to step into Kamilla’s spot?. Are they ready to see the rotation expand to ten with the addition of an “outsider?

Not saying it is impossible but Dawn has to consider it
If you don't buy in....then you don't buy in. You can't say 'loyalty' and then bail when it doesn't go the way you planned. I already said that Feagin will get her minutes. She will get her exposure. She will get evaluated at the end of the season when it matters by the WNBA scouts. The fact that Dawn only gets players that buy in, and mesh is her strong suit. The girls get it. It's the fans that seem to be clueless about what the girls are feeling. There are never enough spots in the WNBA because of numbers. The girls make way more money playing overseas. The WNBA players go overseas to play. This is not so much about the WNBA as it is about personal goals. I think these girls understand that and want to be somewhere they can be developed for a long career regardless of whether it's the WNBA or overseas play. This WNBA status is overplayed. If it was that great, then Grinner wouldn't have been in Russia in the first place.

Reaction Score
That would be a shame.
Why? Not everyone will get drafted into the WNBA and even fewer will make a roster. There have been plenty of UConn players who didn't get drafted despite spending more than 1-2 years at the university. Same with Tennessee over the years. LSU didn't have a single player make a roster last season even though two of their starters (one of them was a post) were drafted in the second round.

Having said that, we had five draftees (three first rounders, including a bench player) last year--and four of them made rosters.

CDS knows her team better than everyone else, including those currently posting here. If she's seeing a role for Kiki Iriafen on next year's team, then she must know that Kiki brings something (or some things) that the returners don't. And it's obvious that Kiki is exploring the possibility of expanding her trophy case (possible SEC POY, Final Four MOP), adding rings to her fingers (SEC championships and NCAA championship), and solidifying her draft stock. She might sign--she might not. But it's great that both sides are taking the time to see what each has to offer the other.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This ain't a good look. Quit being greedy

the_big_fat_red_chicken_by_mase0828_dfiznvx-fullview (1).jpg

Reaction Score
Why? Not everyone will get drafted into the WNBA and even fewer will make a roster. There have been plenty of UConn players who didn't get drafted despite spending more than 1-2 years at the university. Same with Tennessee over the years. LSU didn't have a single player make a roster last season even though two of their starters (one of them was a post) were drafted in the second round.

Having said that, we had five draftees (three first rounders, including a bench player) last year--and four of them made rosters.

CDS knows her team better than everyone else, including those currently posting here. If she's seeing a role for Kiki Iriafen on next year's team, then she must know that Kiki brings something (or some things) that the returners don't. And it's obvious that Kiki is exploring the possibility of expanding her trophy case (possible SEC POY, Final Four MOP), adding rings to her fingers (SEC championships and NCAA championship), and solidifying her draft stock. She might sign--she might not. But it's great that both sides are taking the time to see what each has to offer the other.
Because...that's my opinion about this particular player. Not UCONN. Not Tenn. Not Kiki. She came in highly recruited and to see her possibly not even drafted (didn't say make a team). There's generally a pecking order on these very talented rosters and she seems to have waited patiently so I was surprised that she would be considered a backup at this point to even incoming recruits.

Reaction Score
Because...that's my opinion about this particular player. Not UCONN. Not Tenn. Not Kiki. She came in highly recruited and to see her possibly not even drafted (didn't say make a team). There's generally a pecking order on these very talented rosters and she seems to have waited patiently so I was surprised that she would be considered a backup at this point to even incoming recruits.
Why her in particular, though? What has Feagin shown you (and not her actual college coach), in three years, that suggests she deserves to be the starter for this team? She's obviously good enough to get minutes, but is there something specific about her game (based on what she's put on film and how she practices) that suggests she's not getting a fair shake?

We've seen an obvious jump in Kiki's skill set and production--to the point where she's being considered an elite 2025 player (same class as Sania Feagin). We've seen a jump in skill set and production by Ashlyn Watkins--to the point where she's being considered an elite prospect for 2026 (and she comes off the same college bench as Sania Feagin). So we see that a player can make a huge jump between sophomore and junior year and we also see that a player can come off the bench at South Carolina and make a huge impact more often than not. It's unfortunate that Sania hasn't been able to break through in one of those ways to become more of a WNBA prospect. But it appears that there are people who are now better than she is. That's life.

Reaction Score
Why her in particular, though? What has Feagin shown you (and not her actual college coach), in three years, that suggests she deserves to be the starter for this team? She's obviously good enough to get minutes, but is there something specific about her game (based on what she's put on film and how she practices) that suggests she's not getting a fair shake?

We've seen an obvious jump in Kiki's skill set and production--to the point where she's being considered an elite 2025 player (same class as Sania Feagin). We've seen a jump in skill set and production by Ashlyn Watkins--to the point where she's being considered an elite prospect for 2026 (and she comes off the same college bench as Sania Feagin). So we see that a player can make a huge jump between sophomore and junior year and we also see that a player can come off the bench at South Carolina and make a huge impact more often than not. It's unfortunate that Sania hasn't been able to break through in one of those ways to become more of a WNBA prospect. But it appears that there are people who are now better than she is. That's life.
Because in the scenario the poster presented...she was left out. Joyce Edwards hasn't played a single college game so I thought it odd to suggest that Feagin would be her backup. How many college games has she played? You would suggest she back her up? Based on what?

I think you need to go back and read what I wrote versus what you injected here. I didn't say anything about her starting or being treated "unfairly". I've seen enough to think that there's probably not an SEC team where she wouldn't be a probable starter. Something she may want to consider all her options. Wasn't talking about Kiki or Watkins. I'm strictly talking about Feagin and what she needs to consider for herself.

Reaction Score
Because in the scenario the poster presented...she was left out. Joyce Edwards hasn't played a single college game so I thought it odd to suggest that Feagin would be her backup. How many college games has she played? You would suggest she back her up? Based on what?

Again, what has Sania Feagin shown you (and not Dawn Staley), in practice and in games, that would suggest that she is not being given a fair shake and that other players are not somehow capable of being better than she is? It seems like the mere suggestion that Kiki, Ashlyn, and even Joyce being better than her is not sitting well with you. Why is that? What is Feagin showing you that she's not showing the coaching staff that would suggest that she would need to be the "next woman up" and not anyone else?

I think you need to go back and read what I wrote versus what you injected here. I didn't say anything about her starting or being treated "unfairly". I've seen enough to think that there's probably not an SEC team where she wouldn't be a probable starter. Something she may want to consider all her options. Wasn't talking about Kiki or Watkins. I'm strictly talking about Feagin and what she needs to consider for herself.

You're making the assumption that something is amiss because Sania isn't being seen by everyone as the next in line to be a starter. When you suggest that she's being recruited over, then that does bring other people (who either are or are likely to play ahead of her) into play. So yes, we are talking about Ashlyn Watkins and we are also talking about Kiki Iriafen here--because these are some of the characters involved in the "getting recruited over" stance that you've staked out.

You're also saying that she could start at other SEC schools, which means that you're talking about her starting. You keep saying that she needs to look out for herself or that the coaching staff seems to forget she exists, which seems to suggest that she's being treated unfairly. I'm asking you to provide deeper insight and analysis into why you feel that to be the case and what, specifically, is the coaching staff overlooking when it comes to Sania Feagin.

Reaction Score
Again, what has Sania Feagin shown you (and not Dawn Staley), in practice and in games, that would suggest that she is not being given a fair shake and that other players are not somehow capable of being better than she is? It seems like the mere suggestion that Kiki, Ashlyn, and even Joyce being better than her is not sitting well with you. Why is that? What is Feagin showing you that she's not showing the coaching staff that would suggest that she would need to be the "next woman up" and not anyone else?

You're making the assumption that something is amiss because Sania isn't being seen by everyone as the next in line to be a starter. When you suggest that she's being recruited over, then that does bring other people (who either are or are likely to play ahead of her) into play. So yes, we are talking about Ashlyn Watkins and we are also talking about Kiki Iriafen here--because these are some of the characters involved in the "getting recruited over" stance that you've staked out.

You're also saying that she could start at other SEC schools, which means that you're talking about her starting. You keep saying that she needs to look out for herself or that the coaching staff seems to forget she exists, which seems to suggest that she's being treated unfairly. I'm asking you to provide deeper insight and analysis into why you feel that to be the case and what, specifically, is the coaching staff overlooking when it comes to Sania Feagin.
UM...again, no I'm not. I just don't think she should be seen as a backup to a backup. Backup to a HS recruit? Do you? AND...maybe that's what she will always be on this team, but there are options. If she has a choice between being a backup to a backup versus starting somewhere else to showcase what she can do if given a larger role, then why would you be opposed to that consideration? Why would it be a bad thing, especially considering the opinion here is she is somewhere between being not drafted or drafted and not making a team. Maybe it's not about practice or lack of skill, but opportunity. On the best teams, it gets crowded. Not everyone is going to consent to cheerleading for four years. Sometimes it's just the wrong fit for a player. Look at Reese. Look at Shakeera Austin. I never said it had anything to do with coaching. Maybe coaching decisions, but that's not the same thing. There are only so many minutes to go around. I haven't seen anything that suggests she isn't a very good player.

Reaction Score
UM...again, no I'm not.
Yes, you are. You would not have brought up her being a potential starter in the SEC elsewhere if you didn't have her starting at South Carolina in mind. That's the reason for the "unfair treatment" sentiment and the "getting recruited over" statement. So yes, you do think that she should be in the conversation for starting since she's "waited her turn" yet may have to be "the backup to a backup".

I just don't think she should be seen as a backup to a backup.
Why not? If there's something that you're seeing in practice that the coaching staff isn't, then please feel free to divulge that information. I've asked multiple times yet have not received anything substantive on this front.

Backup to a HS recruit? Do you?
Yes, as some "HS recruits" are just that good. Joyce may be one of those recruits.

AND...maybe that's what she will always be on this team, but there are options.
Yes, one of those options being for her to stay where she is, fight for the minutes that you think she deserves, contribute to another championship team, and put herself in position to get drafted. She does not need to be a starter to be drafted. She does, however, need to show the coaching staff enough in practices and in games to warrant enough exposure to make a case for herself.

If she has a choice between being a backup to a backup versus starting somewhere else to showcase what she can do if given a larger role, then why would you be opposed to that consideration?
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I did bring up a situation where an SEC backup has been drafted in the first round and made a team while an SEC starter on a championship team was drafted later and did not make a team. We've seen that a player who leaves SC and receives a bigger role doesn't always get a better outcome than one who stays and has a lesser role.

Why would it be a bad thing, especially considering the opinion here is she is somewhere between being not drafted or drafted and not making a team.
Again, who's saying it would be a bad thing for her to leave? It just would not make sense if being drafted is the ultimate goal. If she's a sure-fire draft pick on what will certainly be a lesser team, then she's a sure-fire draft pick on a team where she'd receive far more exposure. If the talent is there, the scouts will see it and react accordingly. Sania leaving to play at another institution at this point isn't going to magically turn her into a better draft pick than she'd be if she remains at South Carolina.

Maybe it's not about practice or lack of skill, but opportunity.
Players can receive more opportunity and still not be drafted. I'm still waiting to learn about what you're seeing in games and practices that the coaching staff isn't seeing.

On the best teams, it gets crowded.
Sure, that happens.

Not everyone is going to consent to cheerleading for four years.
Not sure what this has to do with the present discussion, as Sania has not been relegated to "cheerleading". But again, this ties back into you thinking that she should be in line for a starting role (while not providing any substantive to back up the claim).

Sometimes it's just the wrong fit for a player.
Could be, but that would go against your belief that she should not have others challenging her for minutes because she's waited her turn. If, for example, Joyce is a better fit, shouldn't she play more?

Look at Reese. Look at Shakeera Austin.
What about them? They were Top 5 recruits (who were both seen as future first round draft picks) who went to Maryland, played a lot at Maryland, but decided to go elsewhere (for whatever reason--likely clashed with the coach's philosophy). They were both first round picks at their new schools just like they would've been, in all likelihood, had they remained at Maryland. I don't see the direct parallels between their situation(s) and that of Sania.

I never said it had anything to do with coaching. Maybe coaching decisions, but that's not the same thing.
So if Sania's being looked over and relegated to cheerleader status (in your mind) and it doesn't have to do with the actual instruction she's receiving but the decision that is being made by the coaching staff, then what do you think is leading to said decisions being made? The player herself. So again, the coaches aren't seeing what they need to see from the player for her to be in a position to not have her minutes challenged. So if they've deemed her to be a backup or a "backup to a backup", then that's the case she's made for herself to this point.

There are only so many minutes to go around.
Yes, Dawn and her staff know this very well and do their best to distribute them based on team need/chemistry, player development, and merit. It's a delicate balance, and she has done a better job than most of striking said balance.

I haven't seen anything that suggests she isn't a very good player.
You haven't actually said what you think makes her a very good player--just that you believe she's a very good player while suggesting that you believe she's not being given a fair shake by those who have dissected her game the most.

Reaction Score
Yes, you are. You would not have brought up her being a potential starter in the SEC elsewhere if you didn't have her starting at South Carolina in mind. That's the reason for the "unfair treatment" sentiment and the "getting recruited over" statement. So yes, you do think that she should be in the conversation for starting since she's "waited her turn" yet may have to be "the backup to a backup".

Why not? If there's something that you're seeing in practice that the coaching staff isn't, then please feel free to divulge that information. I've asked multiple times yet have not received anything substantive on this front.

Yes, as some "HS recruits" are just that good. Joyce may be one of those recruits.

Yes, one of those options being for her to stay where she is, fight for the minutes that you think she deserves, contribute to another championship team, and put herself in position to get drafted. She does not need to be a starter to be drafted. She does, however, need to show the coaching staff enough in practices and in games to warrant enough exposure to make a case for herself.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I did bring up a situation where an SEC backup has been drafted in the first round and made a team while an SEC starter on a championship team was drafted later and did not make a team. We've seen that a player who leaves SC and receives a bigger role doesn't always get a better outcome than one who stays and has a lesser role.

Again, who's saying it would be a bad thing for her to leave? It just would not make sense if being drafted is the ultimate goal. If she's a sure-fire draft pick on what will certainly be a lesser team, then she's a sure-fire draft pick on a team where she'd receive far more exposure. If the talent is there, the scouts will see it and react accordingly. Sania leaving to play at another institution at this point isn't going to magically turn her into a better draft pick than she'd be if she remains at South Carolina.

Players can receive more opportunity and still not be drafted. I'm still waiting to learn about what you're seeing in games and practices that the coaching staff isn't seeing.

Sure, that happens.

Not sure what this has to do with the present discussion, as Sania has not been relegated to "cheerleading". But again, this ties back into you thinking that she should be in line for a starting role (while not providing any substantive to back up the claim).

Could be, but that would go against your belief that she should not have others challenging her for minutes because she's waited her turn. If, for example, Joyce is a better fit, shouldn't she play more?

What about them? They were Top 5 recruits (who were both seen as future first round draft picks) who went to Maryland, played a lot at Maryland, but decided to go elsewhere (for whatever reason--likely clashed with the coach's philosophy). They were both first round picks at their new schools just like they would've been, in all likelihood, had they remained at Maryland. I don't see the direct parallels between their situation(s) and that of Sania.

So if Sania's being looked over and relegated to cheerleader status (in your mind) and it doesn't have to do with the actual instruction she's receiving but the decision that is being made by the coaching staff, then what do you think is leading to said decisions being made? The player herself. So again, the coaches aren't seeing what they need to see from the player for her to be in a position to not have her minutes challenged. So if they've deemed her to be a backup or a "backup to a backup", then that's the case she's made for herself to this point.

Yes, Dawn and her staff know this very well and do their best to distribute them based on team need/chemistry, player development, and merit. It's a delicate balance, and she has done a better job than most of striking said balance.

You haven't actually said what you think makes her a very good player--just that you believe she's a very good player while suggesting that you believe she's not being given a fair shake by those who have dissected her game the most.
ok

Reaction Score

Sure, that happens.

Timeout guys.

Let’s let Kiki and Dawn and Sania make the decisions

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
UM...again, no I'm not. I just don't think she should be seen as a backup to a backup. Backup to a HS recruit? Do you? AND...maybe that's what she will always be on this team, but there are options. If she has a choice between being a backup to a backup versus starting somewhere else to showcase what she can do if given a larger role, then why would you be opposed to that consideration? Why would it be a bad thing, especially considering the opinion here is she is somewhere between being not drafted or drafted and not making a team. Maybe it's not about practice or lack of skill, but opportunity. On the best teams, it gets crowded. Not everyone is going to consent to cheerleading for four years. Sometimes it's just the wrong fit for a player. Look at Reese. Look at Shakeera Austin. I never said it had anything to do with coaching. Maybe coaching decisions, but that's not the same thing. There are only so many minutes to go around. I haven't seen anything that suggests she isn't a very good player.
Who told you she would be a backup to a high school recruit? That's just talk. Feagin will be fine, and she has a great opportunity to show out in the coming year. You seem to be putting the cart before the horse for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom