2016 Natalie Chou Going to Baylor | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2016 Natalie Chou Going to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You must not have like what you saw in Justis because before the Cox signing you wrote this:

This week you have her transferring:

That writing on the wall could be an indication of a problem.
*rubs hands together* This is good

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You must not have like what you saw in Justis because before the Cox signing you wrote this:

I guess the word was wrong...what do fans know?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Who is it a problem for?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who is it a problem for?
The problem is for those unfortunate Baylor players like Imani Wright, Micayla Buckner, and Ieshia Small and possibly Szcepanski -A likely transfer by your own admission.
The problem is also similar to the one mtsuraider and LadyVols9 defined for Baylor almost exactly 1 year ago today.
Baylor has a roster of 13 players with one senior. They have a class of 5 for next year. In other words, Mulkey is kicking some people to the curb. I hope all recruits are watching how she handles business.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The problem is for those unfortunate Baylor players like Imani Wright, Micayla Buckner, and Ieshia Small and possibly Szcepanski -A likely transfer by your own admission.
The problem is also similar to the one mtsuraider and LadyVols9 defined for Baylor almost exactly 1 year ago today.

Well, if someone wants to transfer because they don't like the way that minutes are distributed or if they think they will have limited playing time, so be it. Imani Wright was not forced out because she was starter and the second leading scorer on the team, so you assertion that she was a victim has no basis. Small had too many turnovers and therefore was getting very little playing time and she decided to leave. Buckner should never have been offered a scholarship, just as Sadie Edwards probably should have never been offered a scholarship by UCONN. Buckner was red-shirted to give her an opportunity to improve but I am sure that she realized that she was never going to get meaningful playing time and chose to transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, if someone wants to transfer because they don't like the way that minutes are distributed or if they think they will have limited playing time, so be it. Imani Wright was not forced out because she was starter and the second leading scorer on the team, so you assertion that she was a victim has no basis. Small had too many turnovers and therefore was getting very little playing time and she decided to leave. Buckner should never have been offered a scholarship, just as Sadie Edwards probably should have never been offered a scholarship by UCONN. Buckner was red-shirted to give her an opportunity to improve but I am sure that she realized that she was never going to get meaningful playing time and chose to transfer.
The last 4 UCONN transfers (Sadie Edwards, Brianna Banks, Lauren Englen & Michala Johnson) transferred when UCONN had 11, 9 , 11, and 11 signed scholarship players on the roster. The UCONN transfer had nothing to do with making room to sign other/better players. By contrast the last 3 departures from Baylor (and the pending one(s )by your own guestimate) came at a time when Baylor was or will be at the limit of signed scholarship athletes making it necessary for Mulkey to “purge” (my word) or “kick someone to the curb” (LadyVols9’s words).
We are in complete agreement that if someone doesn’t like their situation/minutes they are free to transfer. Hopefully we are also agreement that the number of signed players on the rosters is entirely with the coach. And while Imani Wright might not have been a Mulkey “victim” both Small & Bucker appear to have been her victims in order to make room for a class that included Brown, Mompremier, Gulley, Szczepanski & Dry. Just as a current Baylor player will likely be again victimized to make room for a class that includes Cox, Landrum & now Chou.

Reaction Score
Good call. Just like when Pat recruited the 6 pack and held Parker back til everybody committed then the 6 just about vanished and then what happened? Doty EDD and Maya committed to UConn. You got Brown and Monty and then bring in Cox. What message does that send? In any sport a bad attitude cant help the team. If a coach cant handle a bad attitude then you've got to let that player go. Baylor imo could have some very serious internal problems that we may never hear about. TAM and Texas may benefit from it if those kids still want to remain in Texas. I wish Kim luck but...

Well, let us not be jelous. These players committed knowing who were there. These girls are not naive, they are headed to their dream school- afterall, there were other schools begging for their service.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, let us not be jelous. These players committed knowing who were there. These girls are not naive, they are headed to their dream school- afterall, there were other schools begging for their service.
Of course they committed knowing who was there, that is not the problem. This problem is who comes in after you that makes you suddenly "unwelcome" because it is your scholarship that will not be renewed to make room for someone else.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how Baylor uses her. She will have a lot of competition for minutes.

While making the USA team in the summer of 2014 is a great accomplishment that only a select few earn, she did not get much playing time and her shooting numbers were atrocious - something like 3 of 19 from what I remember.

Reaction Score
Of course they committed knowing who was there, that is not the problem. This problem is who comes in after you that makes you suddenly "unwelcome" because it is your scholarship that will not be renewed to make room for someone else.

If you are serious about this then all D1 programs are guilty. I cannot imagine that a school like Uconn would recruit a player by telling her that she will start and we will not recruit a comp. player until your junior year. Either the coach is lying, players are buying-in (until ...) or, it's their dream school. Take Cox f.ex. I am shocked that some here thought that Uconn was a serious consider. Based on what I read on this very Board say that it was Baylor with ND as a possibility. And when it came out that she was diabetic, well .... Unless we have evidence to the contra. that Kim is pushing players out (unnecessarily: not for work ethics, etc), we should query other reasons for this traffic in players to Baylor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you are serious about this then all D1 programs are guilty. I cannot imagine that a school like Uconn would recruit a player by telling her that she will start and we will not recruit a comp. player until your junior year. Either the coach is lying, players are buying-in (until ...) or, it's their dream school. Take Cox f.ex. I am shocked that some here thought that Uconn was a serious consider. Based on what I read on this very Board say that it was Baylor with ND as a possibility. And when it came out that she was diabetic, well .... Unless we have evidence to the contra. that Kim is pushing players out (unnecessarily: not for work ethics, etc), we should query other reasons for this traffic in players to Baylor.

November 2014 & April2015 Baylor signs a 2015 recruiting which includes 5 players Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier, Alexandria Gulley, Justis Szczepanski-Beavers, & Alyssa Dry.

In April of 2015 the Baylor roster had 13 scholarship players including only 1 Senior Sune Agbuke.

The NCAA scholar limit is 15 and Baylor would have exceed the limit if all the underclassmen returned because 12 underclassmen + 5 incoming Freshmen would equal 17.

May 2015 “mysteriously” two Baylor players Ieshia Small & Micayla Buckner were granted a release from the program bringing Baylor within the NCAA scholarship limit.

June 2015 “surprisingly” Imani Wright decides to transfer from Baylor. Surprising not just because Baylor was at the scholarship limit but because Imani was a starter and as ETT correctly keeps pointing out nobody at Baylor forced her out.

I don’t know if all the incoming players were better than Small & Buckner and every school should have the right to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

My beef: Baylor signed new players (April 2015) knowing full well that it would have to break its commitment to at least two existing players. My speculation: In the process Baylor may have lost Imani Wright and stand poised to lose other quality players like Justis Szczepanski.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
While making the USA team in the summer of 2014 is a great accomplishment that only a select few earn, she did not get much playing time and her shooting numbers were atrocious - something like 3 of 19 from what I remember.

Yet Texas continued to recruit her until the very end. I guess Aston saw something that made her want her at UT.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
November 2014 & April2015 Baylor signs a 2015 recruiting which includes 5 players Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier, Alexandria Gulley, Justis Szczepanski-Beavers, & Alyssa Dry.

In April of 2015 the Baylor roster had 13 scholarship players including only 1 Senior Sune Agbuke.

The NCAA scholar limit is 15 and Baylor would have exceed the limit if all the underclassmen returned because 12 underclassmen + 5 incoming Freshmen would equal 17.

May 2015 “mysteriously” two Baylor players Ieshia Small & Micayla Buckner were granted a release from the program bringing Baylor within the NCAA scholarship limit.

June 2015 “surprisingly” Imani Wright decides to transfer from Baylor. Surprising not just because Baylor was at the scholarship limit but because Imani was a starter and as ETT correctly keeps pointing out nobody at Baylor forced her out.

I don’t know if all the incoming players were better than Small & Buckner and every school should have the right to add as much talent to the roster as possible.

My beef: Baylor signed new players (April 2015) knowing full well that it would have to break its commitment to at least two existing players. My speculation: In the process Baylor may have lost Imani Wright and stand poised to lose other quality players like Justis Szczepanski.

Hey maybe Justis could come to UTenn. We need a couple posts :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hey maybe Justis could come to UTenn. We need a couple posts :D

Who knows. It was reported on Baylorfans.com that Justis is not getting to play due to an NCAA eligibility issue. The reason has not yet been revealed but it has been stated that it is not due to academics.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yet Texas continued to recruit her until the very end. I guess Aston saw something that made her want her at UT.
Why so sensitive? The stats from her play at the highest level of her career speak for themselves. For a player whose greatest asset is supposed to be shooting, numbers like that won't get it done. I believe she also had a rough shooting night in the Texas state semi-finals in March 2014.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why so sensitive? The stats from her play at the highest level of her career speak for themselves. For a player whose greatest asset is supposed to be shooting, numbers like that won't get it done. I believe she also had a rough shooting night in the Texas state semi-finals in March 2014.

Not sensitive. I just like it when only after a recruit snubs a program that they suddenly become one that you really don't want.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not sensitive. I just like it when only after a recruit snubs a program that they suddenly become one that you really don't want.
You are reaching because you can't dispute the stats. I personally never posted anywhere that I was high on her, wanted her (as I wanted Ionescu so much more), or felt she was a good fit for Texas; don't think she's a good fit at Baylor either for that matter. In fact, I questioned her "shooting" since watching her in the state semi-final game in 2014. And, after seeing her stats with USA basketball later that summer, it led me to believe that she struggles against the best of the best.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You are reaching because you can't dispute the stats. I personally never posted anywhere that I was high on her. In fact, I questioned her "shooting" since watching her in the state semi-final game in 2014. And, after seeing her stats with USA basketball later that summer, it led me to believe that she struggles against the best of the best.

You may be right. You seem to have put in the research so I will defer to your knowledge on this one.

UT has some tremendous players coming in so it looks like Baylor and UT will be the cream of the crop in the Big 12 over the next few years. It should be a lot of fun to watch these two programs battle for Big 12 titles and Texas recruits.

Reaction Score
Another 2016 Texas recruit than neither Texas nor Baylor got - Nancy Mulkey - may be dunking flat-footed on both those schools in the Big 12 championship game before it's all over.
upload_2015-11-12_9-27-28.png

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You may be right. You seem to have put in the research so I will defer to your knowledge on this one.

UT has some tremendous players coming in so it looks like Baylor and UT will be the cream of the crop in the Big 12 over the next few years. It should be a lot of fun to watch these two programs battle for Big 12 titles and Texas recruits.
Should be the heavyweights in the conference over the next several years. Don't think there is a close third at this time.

As for Chou, she obviously has skills or she wouldn't have all the accolades and recruiting attention. I just think that Baylor's players with whom she'll compete for the next few years are more athletic and probably better on defense than she is. If she ends up being a role player (every team needs them) because of her shooting, and she is fine with that, then good. Heck, fellow 2016 signee Calveion Landrum (whom I love and coveted), can play all 3 backcourt positions; so, unless Landrum is for sure slated for PG, Chou has to compete with her for 4 years for minutes. Time will tell if Chou becomes a starter or a role player at BU.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
maybe this is a generational difference but if I were a player today, I'd be VERY reluctant to commit to a school whose coach is deliberately recruiting players knowing she'll need to eliminate current players on the team to make room for them. Clearly Cox and Chou want to stay near home, and have the confidence it will never happen to them. But given Mulkey's history, maybe Chou should stay in touch with Cal....who could really have used her and seemed like a good fit.

Reaction Score
This is called "sour grapes." lol. I hear Longhorns explanation though. I think Chou has been evaluated by folks who watch a lot more basketball than us so I'm pretty sure the book on her ability and potential has been well written (impartially :) ).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
maybe this is a generational difference but if I were a player today, I'd be VERY reluctant to commit to a school whose coach is deliberately recruiting players knowing she'll need to eliminate current players on the team to make room for them. Clearly Cox and Chou want to stay near home, and have the confidence it will never happen to them. But given Mulkey's history, maybe Chou should stay in touch with Cal....who could really have used her and seemed like a good fit.

She hasn't even started her senior year in high school and some of you already have her being at Baylor, being used a role player, getting limited playing time, getting frustrated and transferring. LOL!!

Emily Neimman was a HUGE part of the Baylor championship run in 2005 and she did not really fit the mold of that team, which was otherwise quite athletic. She was a not so fleet of foot perimeter player who got valuable playing time because she could shoot the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom