2016 Natalie Chou Going to Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 Natalie Chou Going to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
They will arrive happy. They will have the joy of Jesus in their hearts. We'll give each a copy of a Ben Carson book.

Forgive me for saying this, but Kim Mulkey HAS always reminded me of Tammy Faye Bakker Messner.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Anyone know who the last recruit was, that stated "playing time" was a factor in leaving? Why can't they just become an extremely deep team with no one leaving?
cant you tell... some aren't happy Baylor may be ready to knock them off the throne, here and in Orange Land

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Top 50 or 500... players have egos.

very few Top players transfer... its the ones deep on the bench that pack their bags early.

Reaction Score
Baylor is tearing it up on the recruiting trail; of course only 5 can play at a time. If you end up with 10 top 20 players then some are going to be upset at a lack of playing time. I don't think chemistry can be overstated.
I doubt this will be a problem now. The game of basketball is constanly changing and talent is increasing. I love the 4 quarter rule that was implemented I think it really helps the Wcbb escape the shadow of the mens colllege ball. I think we will all see the deeper your bench the better suit your team will be for this years game.

Reaction Score
Top 50 or 500... players have egos.

very few Top players transfer... its the ones deep on the bench that pack their bags early.

I think the current count is 8, of HoopGurlz's class of 2013 top 20, have already transferred.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
How many from UConn... or South Carolina, or Notre Dame

who are they and what have they done on the college level?

Reaction Score
What difference does it make who they played for ?
Davis #2
DeShields #3
Harper #5
Gray #7
Tucker #8
Washington #14
Brown #15
Small #19

BTW. Edwards, #17 in 2014, transferred from UConn.

Reaction Score
Good Pickup for Baylor. Kim's recruiting is telling Texas, we aren't ready to give up being the Best Team in the Big 12. Battles should be interesting over the next few year.

Natalie Chou ‏@NatalieChou1 24m24 minutes ago
I would like to thank all the programs that have recruited me! I'm happy to say that Im going to Baylor University for the next 4 year
The sky is falling!!!
Geno is failing to get top recruits!!
Muffet has Geno's number!!
Uconn will fall from the top tier !!
What did Shea do in recruiting???

OK---those are all out lets move to reality!! You must have TALENT to win, yes. But you must have the most TALENTED coach first...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The sky is falling!!!
Geno is failing to get top recruits!!
Muffet has Geno's number!!
Uconn will fall from the top tier !!
What did Shea do in recruiting???

OK---those are all out lets move to reality!! You must have TALENT to win, yes. But you must have the most TALENTED coach first...

Why quote the OP? There was nothing in his/her post that had the "woe is me" tone described above.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I fully expect some players to leave Baylor due to playing time. Ieshia Small and Sadie Edwards are examples of players who left their teams because they saw the writing on the wall.

Reaction Score
Happy to see Kim keeping some Texas talent in-state. It will be interesting to see which 2017 players commit to Baylor. These were two that I felt good about all along.

I believe that the FF will be held in Dallas when Jones and Davis are seniors and Chou and Cox are freshman. Would be great to send the seniors out with a NC.
Congrats. I think Baylor should be the favorite to win it all next season. UConn, South Carolina, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Baylor, Maryland, Duke and Louisville is as good a top 8 as we've seen in women college basketball for 2016-17.

Reaction Score
I think those 3 players will be just fine with playing time. Now, current freshman, Justis Sczepanski-Beavers will most likely find it tough to get on the court unless she can play some small forward. Baylor fans already wondering why she didn't play in their exhibition/scrimmage, and if she is going to redshirt this season as she tries to develop an outside shot.

For 2017, will be interesting to see if elite front court players like Rellah Boothe and Jade Williams continue their current interest in Baylor and seriously consider joining a young and loaded frontcourt.

I think Chou could get lost in Baylor's backcourt depth if she can't play defense; will be difficult for her to guard the opposing team's shooting guard, so I'd guess she will be a situational player at best who comes in to try and use her perimeter shooting to bust a zone defense.

Rellah Booth is considering only Maryland, Tennessee and Auburn.

Reaction Score
Why quote the OP? There was nothing in his/her post that had the "woe is me" tone described above.

Actually I was going along with that posting. No "woe is me", as you pointed out, in that posting. But you must be a great friend to select me out to in your defense of your friend. Enjoy. Life is shorter than you think.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What difference does it make who they played for ?
Davis #2
DeShields #3
Harper #5
Gray #7
Tucker #8
Washington #14
Brown #15
Small #19

BTW. Edwards, #17 in 2014, transferred from UConn.
Just players who teams didn't make much noise in the Big Dance... except Lexie, I guess that's who Brown is.
But I will say your point was made, thanks for doing the research and providing facts!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Rellah Booth is considering only Maryland, Tennessee and Auburn.

I've heard no chatter about Booth being interested in Baylor. I was surprised when I read that. And I have seen nothing to indicate that Jade Williams is on Baylor's radar.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just as a side note on chemistry and keeping players happy - With the exception of Samarie Walker, who left UCONN because of home sickness and for personal reasons that had nothing to do with UCONN and everything to do with a significant other, UCONN has never had a top 10 kid leave the program.

the kids who have transferred (Johnson, Engeln, Banks, etc) were all kids who were struggling to get PT and saw the writing on the wall for kids who were coming in. They wanted to go to programs where they could earn more PT. I totally get that and support it, but when people talk about potential chemistry etc, I think it's all over blown. It's rare to see a top kid transfer unless the program they are leaving is a disaster (UNC with Deshields, Muvunga, Gray etc), or a kid like Jones wants to be closer to home.

I know it does happen in other programs, but if you have that much talent, the cream will rise to the top and those kids will play. The ones who play less will generally be the ones who want to leave.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just as a side note on chemistry and keeping players happy - With the exception of Samarie Walker, who left UCONN because of home sickness and for personal reasons that had nothing to do with UCONN and everything to do with a significant other, UCONN has never had a top 10 kid leave the program.

the kids who have transferred (Johnson, Engeln, Banks, etc) were all kids who were struggling to get PT and saw the writing on the wall for kids who were coming in. They wanted to go to programs where they could earn more PT. I totally get that and support it, but when people talk about potential chemistry etc, I think it's all over blown. It's rare to see a top kid transfer unless the program they are leaving is a disaster (UNC with Deshields, Muvunga, Gray etc), or a kid like Jones wants to be closer to home.

I know it does happen in other programs, but if you have that much talent, the cream will rise to the top and those kids will play. The ones who play less will generally be the ones who want to leave.
Lexie Brown??-Consecutive FF appearances, Achieved AA status, poised to be the face of MD basketball for the next two years leaves for Duke who has not been to FF under the current coach.
I still think there is more to the Harper story at UK.
Reimer left ND team however briefly but long enough to cost ND a loss to Miami.
We had a whole thread on the reasons why so many transfers for this 2013 class,maybe we should ressurect it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lexie Brown??-Consecutive FF appearances, Achieved AA status, poised to be the face of MD basketball for the next two years leaves for Duke who has not been to FF under the current coach. I still think there is more to the Harper story at UK. Reimer left ND team however briefly but long enough to cost ND a loss to Miami. We had a whole thread on the reasons why so many transfers for this 2013 class,maybe we should ressurect it.
I said it's rare, not unheard of. Lexie Brown was 15 per HG (not sure where she was per other sources), but that's close to what Banks was ranked. But you are right - Deshields and Kaela Davis would be great examples of top 5 kids who left programs along with Jones (and Harper in your example). I was referring to really true top kids in a class - top 5 for the most part. And if a kid is a chemistry problem, it will be better for the program she's leaving once she's gone. And there have been several recently...

My point is, people keep mentioning how Kim has so many quality kids and how it's going to be hard to keep them all happy. Bottom line is she doesn't have to keep them all happy. I have no idea what she says to recruits, but if it's along the lines of "come to Baylor, be part of a great program and team, help us win NC's, and earn your PT on the team", then how is that a bad thing? Mompremier, Brown and Cox? If 2 are starters and one comes off the bench and earns PT like Stokes did, how is that a bad thing?

Maybe Mulkey preaches the team concept like Geno does. Plus, Mompremier and Brown are a year older than Cox. Honestly, I wish UCONN had that problem. I wish Geno had gone harder after CT star Bria Holmes. I wish he had more post players even tho we have Butler on board for the next 3 years. I wish we had more depth in the post once Stewie leaves.

But it's generally not how Geno runs the program - he's rarely had 14 or 15 schollies all used up. Look at the # of HS AA's on any UCONN team - this year we have 8. Stewie, Jefferson, Tuck, Chong (she played in one of the all star game so I assume she was an AA), Williams I think (Nurse should have been), Collier, Boykin and Samuelson. That's more than almost any other team in WCBB.

The thing is, though, that we only have 11 players on the roster (not withstanding the great teammates Polly and Tierney). When you consider that Nurse should have been a HS AA, that means 9 out of the 11 players on our roster were HS AA's (or should have been if Williams wasn't). Only Ekmark and Butler weren't HS AA's. So how does Geno "keep everyone happy" when he almost has 2 entire teams of HS AA's?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have no idea what she says to recruits, but if it's along the lines of "come to Baylor, be part of a great program and team, help us win NC's, and earn your PT on the team", then how is that a bad thing? Mompremier, Brown and Cox? If 2 are starters and one comes off the bench and earns PT like Stokes did, how is that a bad thing?
Eric, I don't know what she says to recruits either but my trained eye tells me Kim has a problem (Playing time) now, even before we put Cox into the mix next year.
Besides Mompremier & Brown Baylor has post players Szcepanski-FR + Cave-JR and Higgins-SR. NOONE is going to unseat Davis from a Post position in the next two years. So you are talking about 5 post players this year and 5 next year when Cox comes on board competing for 1 position-that is a problem as I see it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It may happen but let's wait instead of assuming when the season hasn't even started... and Cox is still in High School

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It may happen but let's wait instead of assuming when the season hasn't even started... and Cox is still in High School
Not really it is happening now. Kim has 5 quality Post players competing for 1 position.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Eric, I don't know what she says to recruits either but my trained eye tells me Kim has a problem (Playing time) now, even before we put Cox into the mix next year.
Besides Mompremier & Brown Baylor has post players Szcepanski-FR + Cave-JR and Higgins-SR. NOONE is going to unseat Davis from a Post position in the next two years. So you are talking about 5 post players this year and 5 next year when Cox comes on board competing for 1 position-that is a problem as I see it.

That is a problem that UCONN would like to have.

I expect Szcepanski to transfer. She is looking at a red-shirt this season and I think that she will see the writing on the wall. Brown, Higgins, Mompremier and Cave will be fighting for the 5 spot. Of those four I think we will see Cave get less and less time. She doesn't look to have added anything to her game this season. Mompremier will probably be the one who plays the 4 when Davis is out.

Mulkey runs a lot of players on and off the court and some games a player gets more minutes because she is playing well and the next game they may hardly see the court. And the players are staggered enough that the next group coming up knows that people in front of them will graduate.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not really it is happening now. Kim has 5 quality Post players competing for 1 position.

Well, she hasn't done it yet. There are three freshmen post players so they haven't been given their opportunity to become disgruntled and leave the team. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom