2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
dayooper said:
Asking because I really don't know. Who was UConn's biggest mutual rivalry in the old Big East?

Truthfully, it was whoever was good at the time. UCONN was really the only constant from 88 through the end of the Big East.

Georgetown (Iverson), Nova (Kittles), Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, Louisville all took their shots and none toppled the king.

The only reason the # of titles is close is because during the period from 79-86 UCONN was transitioning to top level BB.

Sound familiar?

pj

Reaction Score
This is about what I thought. There are so many reasons why rivalries start and it looks like UConn has been stripped of most of them.

If you joined the Big10, who would want as your rivalry and who do you think would be your main rivals? I'm assuming you would be the only new eastern team joining. I have an outsiders view, but want to see what you all would say.

Rutgers #1. Closest geographically and, in football, athletically. Penn State - we'd aspire to be their football rivals but the gap will be large for a long time. Maryland could be good rivals in a number of sports; they've been a basketball rival and Edsall going there, plus a recent series, added to the football interest. Then Michigan and Ohio State. Both good in basketball, aspirational rivals in football.

But you know, Iowa recruited Connecticut well for a number of years and became a sort of football rival, at least in recruiting, so I think it can happen even with geographically distant schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Rutgers #1. Closest geographically and, in football, athletically. Penn State - we'd aspire to be their football rivals but the gap will be large for a long time. Maryland could be good rivals in a number of sports; they've been a basketball rival and Edsall going there, plus a recent series, added to the football interest. Then Michigan and Ohio State. Both good in basketball, aspirational rivals in football.

But you know, Iowa recruited Connecticut well for a number of years and became a sort of football rival, at least in recruiting, so I think it can happen even with geographically distant schools.

Yep, Rutty, Maryland and Penn St would be the natural rivals, particularly Maryland and Rutty. Our rivalry with Syracuse would never be the same, but it certainly be on better footing if we have a P5 home. Maybe our most interesting and contentious rival is BC - the ghost that won't play us.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yep, Rutty, Maryland and Penn St would be the natural rivals, particularly Maryland and Rutty. Our rivalry with Syracuse would never be the same, but it certainly be on better footing if we have a P5 home. Maybe our most interesting and contentious rival is BC - the ghost that won't play us.

You know, sometimes I think BC, along with UConn and Rutgers would make a great completion to the NE wing of the Big10. Good proximity to each other, past history, BC and UConn only true NE schools in major athletics. The hockey would be tremendous.

Then I come to my senses and remember it's BC we are talking about and I'm over it.

So the question is, what Eastern school would you like to join the Big10 with? The Big10 is becoming the Big 20 and you will be in a division with PSU, UMD, Rutgers, and the other new school. Who comes in with you?

Reaction Score
You know, sometimes I think BC, along with UConn and Rutgers would make a great completion to the NE wing of the Big10. Good proximity to each other, past history, BC and UConn only true NE schools in major athletics. The hockey would be tremendous.

Then I come to my senses and remember it's BC we are talking about and I'm over it.

So the question is, what Eastern school would you like to join the Big10 with? The Big10 is becoming the Big 20 and you will be in a division with PSU, UMD, Rutgers, and the other new school. Who comes in with you?
Buffalo. Just to spite the rest of them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

UVA or VA Tech are probably the most realistic of the P5 or P6 schools to add as a rival for an expanded B1G.

Reaction Score

Twenty years ago, would have said Syracuse. But, they have no medical school, have lost AAU status, are faced with the shrinking population and stagnant economy of upstate NY, and are out muscled in "their" home turf of NYC by two larger, closer, state U's in Rutgers and UConn.

Thus, if the B1G wants pair of eastern schools, it hast to be one of the Virginia schools - UVA or v Tech, if they can be pried from the ACC. Both are big, state research Universities. Academically, UVA is on par with the B1G's best public, Michigan, with decent cores ports (football, basketball) and solid Olympic sports (soccer, lacrosse) whereas V Tech is growing academically (another rumored AAU wannabe) with very good football. The combination of Maryland with UVA or V Tech would lock-up the key DC (#9) and Baltimore TV markets (#26). Adding UConn also in combination with Rutgers plus the B1G Alumni network would make the B1G the leader in NYC (#1), own Hartford/New Haven (#30), plus a presence in Boston (#7) also.via UConn. This adds to the B1G's existing strength in Philly (#4) with Penn St. That leaves the ACC with a massive hole in its northern flank with BC isolated and just small markets north of the Mason-Dixon line elsewhere - #23 Pittsburgh, #50 Louisville & #81 Syracuse. That leaves the ACC with 1 big gun in the Northeast - ND, which is located 700 miles from Times Square.

This expansion would enable the B1G to print its own TV money based on these markets - #1 NYC, #3 Chicago, #4 Philly, #9 DC, #11 Detroit, #15 MSP, #17 Cleveland, #25 Indianapolis, #26 Baltimore, #30 Hartford/New Haven, #32 Columbus OH, #34 Cincinnati, #35 Milwaukee, #39 W Michigan, etc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure enough people realize how big the B10 would be in the NE. The Big East may have started with Ewing, Rollie, and Mullen. It may have thrived with Miami, but it was UCONN that drove the bus once it got rolling. Calhoun outdid all the other hall of fame coaches once he got rolling.

Reaction Score
Does this mean you think Memphis is UConn's #1 rival in the AAC right now?
For the simple fact that Memphis and Cincy are the only other programs at uconn's level the games seem to have more importance...
There isn't really enough history or shared geography with those schools for a 'rivalry'.... That could chang but it would take time.

Reaction Score
It's weird that no one even mentions UConn's rivalry with St. John's anymore. 20 years ago if you asked this question, the answer would have been: St. John's.

And now St John's isn't even mentioned as a top rival.

If you ask me, the rivalries went like this:

1. Syracuse
2. St. John's
3A. Pitt
3B. Georgetown
Maybe Villanova & Providence
Maybe Seton Hall
Louisville & Cincy & West Virginia?

Reaction Score
It's weird that no one even mentions UConn's rivalry with St. John's anymore. 20 years ago if you asked this question, the answer would have been: St. John's.

1. Syracuse
2. St. John's
3A. Pitt
3B. Georgetown
Maybe Seton Hall

UConn was the Yankees of the old Big East almost always near the top of the standings for the last 20 years. Thus, the Huskies' rival any given year was whoever else was at the top with us.

Reaction Score

1. Syracuse
2. St. John's
3A. Pitt
3B. Georgetown
Maybe Seton Hall

I was going to mention St. Johns. As Conehead stated, I think it has a lot to do with competitiveness. St. Johns eventually dropped off. BC was a rival at times, but only when they were competitive.

My 25 year list would be:

Syracuse
Georgetown
St. Johns
Pitt
Villanova, Notre Dame, Providence, Boston College
Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Marquette

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Just goes to show the power of Satan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman