2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess I'm asking because I hear you all talking about lack of rivalries being a reason for lack of support, but I just don't know of many "Big10"like rivalries that were in the old Big East. I remember The Pitt - WVU, but that's about it. What teams returned the UConn hate or even what were some other mutual hate rivalries?

Syracuse for sure. The Georgetown-Syracuse rivalry is the one that both schools love to talk about, but the reality is that UConn-Syracuse has been a bigger rivalry over the past 25 years. Pitt-WVU (Backyard Brawl) was a big one too, along with Cincy-Louisville (Battle for the Keg o' Nails). It was sort of weird with the Big East because we as a school had a different "rival" in essentially every major sport:
Basketball - Syracuse
Football - Rutgers
Soccer - St Johns
Baseball - St Johns (Historically) and Louisville (Best two teams in the Big East)
Hockey - Eh

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I guess I'm asking because I hear you all talking about lack of rivalries being a reason for lack of support, but I just don't know of many "Big10"like rivalries that were in the old Big East. I remember The Pitt - WVU, but that's about it. What teams returned the UConn hate or even what were some other mutual hate rivalries?
Well the Big East was just generally fierce. The refs let the bruisers play down low so the games got nasty frequently which just breeds hatred regardless of history. The media hype about the Big East being a war path wasn't really an exaggeration when you watched every game.

I always felt like the 3 teams I listed (Cuse/Georgetown/Pitt) were mutual hate rivalries, but Cuse was definitely the rival if you want to talk about your OSU/Michigan type rivalries. No program from the Big East has as many players that I still hate to this day.

Cuse fans also often had a weird defense mechanism through the very end where they tried to act like we weren't the superior program despite the whole 3>1 thing (now 4>1 of course). This of course gave me endless joy.

Reaction Score
Does this mean you think Memphis is UConn's #1 rival in the AAC right now?

If anyone it would be Cincy. Not because we are rivals, but they are the closest school in the conference that I would consider in our "peer group" (P5 school). Thing is that I kind of like Cincy, as they are in the same situation as we are and I can sympathize with that.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If anyone it would be Cincy. Not because we are rivals, but they are the closest school in the conference that I would consider in our "peer group" (P5 school). Thing is that I kind of like Cincy, as they are in the same situation as we are and I can sympathize with that.
I'm actually surprised I didn't think of them first. But yeah, probably for the same reason. I never had a real reason to hate Cincy in the Big East compared to all the other teams we've listed. Just because they got stuck in the AAC doesn't mean I suddenly hate them, although I do look forward to those games more than others just based on their short time in the Big East.

Reaction Score
When I can. Had season tickets back when I lived in CT. Had student gold pass to the first ever season at Gampel. What's your point? I agree with BL by the way, enthusiasm isn't what it was.

I irk him. He doesn't need a point to want to make that clear.

I held season tickets for five years when my son was in Trinity. Since then, go to an average of probably two games a year. FWIW.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Maybe this doesn't translate in midwestern terms. But UConn, BC, St. Johns, PC, Rutgers, Seton Hall could all just about fit inside one decent sized midwestern state. Syracuse is more distant, but still in the adjacent state. It's not just a lack of a single traditional rival, we didn't have one really. Syracuse was closest, but they (claimed) GTown was their biggest rival. PC hated us and is geographically closest. BC hated us and pretended indifference while we beat them twice a year, every year for more years than I can recall.

Now we play Tulsa. SMU. USF. UCF. Tulane. ECU. Do you see a difference there? Tulsa, Temple, Cinci and Houston have some history at least, but none of them truly excite anyone and nobody we play is a bus ride away except maybe Temple.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
This is about what I thought. There are so many reasons why rivalries start and it looks like UConn has been stripped of most of them.

If you joined the Big10, who would want as your rivalry and who do you think would be your main rivals? I'm assuming you would be the only new eastern team joining. I have an outsiders view, but want to see what you all would say.

Reaction Score
I could see MSU in basketball as there is some tourney history there and big games between the two programs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I irk him. He doesn't need a point to want to make that clear.

I held season tickets for five years when my son was in Trinity. Since then, go to an average of probably two games a year. FWIW.
You give yourself too much credit. You don't irk me. My point was both of you miss the point completely. The XL is saving UConn's total attendance figures, not hurting them. People that go to all the games know this.

Reaction Score
This is about what I thought. There are so many reasons why rivalries start and it looks like UConn has been stripped of most of them.

If you joined the Big10, who would want as your rivalry and who do you think would be your main rivals? I'm assuming you would be the only new eastern team joining. I have an outsiders view, but want to see what you all would say.

Maryland all day. No question.

Reaction Score
You give yourself too much credit. You don't irk me. My point was both of you miss the point completely. The XL is saving UConn's total attendance figures, not hurting them. People that go to all the games know this.

I am not suggesting we stop playing in the XL. I am suggesting that average attendance at the XL going down from 15k to 10k or whatever hurts attendance. Thought it was fairly obvious.

Glad to know you're not irked. As for giving myself too much credit -- well, Duh.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I could see MD and Rutgers. I don't recall ever playing PSU.

I could see MSU in basketball as there is some tourney history there and big games between the two programs.

Maryland all day. No question.

My thought was this:

Basketball: Maryland. MSU is a possibility, but the UM hate flows strong. Maryland needs to find a basketball rival and UConn would be perfect, IMO

Football: Rutgers. Proximity, previous relationship, hatred of PSU (you will hate PSU), and mutual recruiting grounds would make for a great rivalry.

Hockey: PSU. The two eastern schools will collide for a great rivalry.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Indiana and Michigan State for basketball. Hopefully one could develop with Wisconsin. For football, probably Rutgers and Penn State.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Indiana and Michigan State for basketball. Hopefully one could develop with Wisconsin. For football, probably Rutgers and Penn State.

Izzo will drive you crazy. MSU is easy to hate.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Izzo will drive you crazy. MSU is easy to hate.

LMAO. From a Wolverine perhaps. I think many here would agree he's one of the few coaches of major programs that we respect and like. Duke is easy to hate. Boeheim and Syracuse are easy to hate. Pitino and Louisville are easy to hate. Kentucky and Calapari are past that, they are impossible to like. But MSU and Izzo? Always one of the teams I admire.

dayooper

Reaction Score
LMAO. From a Wolverine perhaps. I think many here would agree he's one of the few coaches of major programs that we respect and like. Duke is easy to hate. Boeheim and Syracuse are easy to hate. Pitino and Louisville are easy to hate. Kentucky and Calapari are past that, they are impossible to like. But MSU and Izzo? Always one of the teams I admire.

If you only knew.

Reaction Score
If you only knew.

Did he come to your house? He's a public figure. His behavior isn't a secret. If your only reason for hating him is that Michigan State has passed Michigan in athletics, no one here cares about that.

Reaction Score
Football: Rutgers closely followed by Maryland as both are programs UConn can compete with with many UConn fans enjoying a bi-annual trip to Penn St though it may take a while before the Huskies can win there.

Men's Hoops: Maryland followed by the other big dogs in the B1G (Ohio St, Michigan, State, Wisconsin) while everyone else especially Rugers who will be insanely jealous, will be targeting UConn due to the 4 NCAA title banners hanging from an expanded 12K Gampel Pavillion.

Women's Hoops: Penn St. and Rutgers with everyone else gunning for the Huskies due to the 10 banners hanging from an expanded Gampel.

Hockey: Penn St plus an opportunity to draw on some of that New England v. Midwest hockey rivalry.

Lax: Hopefully UConn can find the $$ to upgrade the men's team as there is no reason to believe with access to CT and Long Island recruiting territories that UConn can't compete with Maryland & JH.

Soccer: UConn, Rutgers, Penn St and Maryland make for an imposing group of soccer programs in the Northeast and Indiana is not too shabby either.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Did he come to your house? He's a public figure. His behavior isn't a secret. If your only reason for hating him is that Michigan State has passed Michigan in athletics, no one here cares about that.

It started as a joke, him whining about the calls when his team is the most physical and making excuses about injuries. It was supposed to be a little play on what will drive you crazy about him as an opposing fan. You know, like saying you will find out when you play him in conference play.

As for hating him because MSU "passed us by,"I could give a rats @ss what happens in East Lansing. Every school has to take care of their own and after a great run of 60 years and, 20 years after that ended, a 35 year run, we fell on some hard times. We had a horrible AD (Dave Brandon) that makes your previous one look an all star. I know you don't believe me, but he was worse than any AD I can think of. The success doesn't last forever, but the down years don't either. Kinda like everybody writing Alabama before Saban got there, USC before Carroll got there, OSU before both Tressell and Meyer were hired, and Oklahoma before Stoops took the job, programs have ups and downs. Will Harbaugh bring Michigan to the pinnacle? Who knows, but he's the best chance we have at this time.

Sparty is what Sparty is and they have had a great run in both basketball and football. They have two very effective coaches and a purpose driven AD. They are not without warts, but no more than any other school. Yet it will take many years in football to achieve what Michigan has accomplished. I will leave it at that. As far as basketball, we are holding our own. The recent run we had ended last year, but two regular conference season championships in three years is a big deal in the Big10 (regular season championships are more valued than conference tourney championships). I will take John Beilein and his program anyday. I like where UM basketball is and where it's heading. We were one half away from a national championship in 2013 and look like we will be pretty decent this year. Not UConn good, but most aren't. MSU isn't either.

Reaction Score
Of course, the ACC has ready-made rivalries. For the Big Ten, the following are either rivals or have the potential to develop as rivals for UConn (IMO):

Football: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State (Indiana needs a "might-win" conference game besides Rutgers)
Basketball: Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin (Maybe Ohio State)
Soccer: Maryland, Indiana, Penn State
Hockey: Penn State (Maybe Wisconsin)
Womens Ball: Penn State, Rutgers
Baseball: Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland

If you compare UConn, Maryland, Rutgers and Penn State there are many similarities *LINK*. If UVA joined the Big Ten you would have a nice 5 team Eastern pod that would excel in basketball, soccer, and lacrosse. Every school is reasonably close and the group would encircle the Northeast corridor. If UConn eventually launched a mens lacrosse program there would be some opportunities for natural rivals.

Reaction Score
I must have read the list incorrectly, but it seems our number is higher than U. Texas' but they ranked them ahead of us. Same for USC East.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about the fact that Sparty fans all suck?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gampel's small size really hurts UConn. They should have made it bigger.
Still, when it is hopping, the experience there is as good as any place in the country.

(IIRC, the idea was to protect the NHC and the HCC. It was a needed concession.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom