2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures | The Boneyard

2013-2014 NCAA basketball attendance figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that Syracuse has only 1 title to their name and that Duke only has four. Three of the top four are ACC, but really drop off from there. Big10 represented well too.

Link

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that Syracuse has only 1 title to their name and that Duke only has four. Three of the top four are ACC, but really drop off from there. Big10 represented well too.

Link

Great link. So Wyoming managed to sneak in a NCAA basketball title during WWII in 1943 - amazing factoid. I think that is back when saddles were used and lassos had not been banned yet.

Reaction Score
Also, am I blind or is Rutty missing from this top 100 list?
I just checked RU attendance for the 2013-2014 hoops season
Total Home Attendance at the RAC: 88,492
Avg per Game: 4425
Highest attended home games: 1/4/14 vs Louisville 7263 1/25/14 vs UCONN 8006
Lowest attended home games: 11/25/13 vs Stillman 392, 11/26/13 vs Farleigh Dickinson 466

Reaction Score
2014-2015 numbers should be finalized as well, surprised not to see that one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gampel's small size really hurts UConn. They should have made it bigger.

Reaction Score
Breakdown:

Most by State:
Texas - 6
Ohio - 5
Indiana - 5
Illinois - 5
North Carolina - 4
Utah - 4
Florida - 4
California - 4

Most by Conference:
SEC - 14/14 = 100%
BigEast - 10/10 = 100%
B1G - 13/14 = 93%
B12 - 9/10 = 90%
ACC - 12/14 = 86%
MWC - 8/11 = 73%
AAC - 6/10 = 60%
A-10 - 5/14 = 36%

Reaction Score
Gampel's small size really hurts UConn. They should have made it bigger.

What really hurts UConn is attendance at the XL has plummeted. 15 to 20 years ago, you couldn't buy single game tickets -- the Civic Center pretty much sold out just on season tickets. Now, you can buy for whatever games you want, and crap games no one is there.

Yes, the conference is a part of it but the Hartford attendance was way, way down even before that.

Reaction Score
What really hurts UConn is attendance at the XL has plummeted. 15 to 20 years ago, you couldn't buy single game tickets -- the Civic Center pretty much sold out just on season tickets. Now, you can buy for whatever games you want, and crap games no one is there.

Yes, the conference is a part of it but the Hartford attendance was way, way down even before that.

I think there are multiple factors there:
1) TV - Coverage has exploded over the past 15 years, and with high definition televisions and rising costs of attending games, that's a viable alternative
2) XL Center - its operating beyond its useful life, and doesn't have the modern amenities that would attract someone to the arean
3) Conference Realignment - obvious answer, but the lack of rivalries or attractive conference opponents hasn't helped ticket sales

dayooper

Reaction Score
3) Conference Realignment - obvious answer, but the lack of rivalries or attractive conference opponents hasn't helped ticket sales

Asking because I really don't know. Who was UConn's biggest mutual rivalry in the old Big East?

Reaction Score
Also, am I blind or is Rutty missing from this top 100 list?

High school football games in Jersey outdraw Rutgers basketball and, for the most part, their stadiums are nicer than the RAC, too.

Reaction Score
I think there are multiple factors there:
1) TV - Coverage has exploded over the past 15 years, and with high definition televisions and rising costs of attending games, that's a viable alternative
2) XL Center - its operating beyond its useful life, and doesn't have the modern amenities that would attract someone to the arean

I would add...
4) Ticket prices have gone up while people's salaries have not (not just a UConn problem)
5) Maybe just my imagination; but, getting into and out of Hartford overt he last decade has gotten worse and some people just can't/won't want to deal with the nightmare known as I-84

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You guys don't go to basketball games, do you?

When I can. Had season tickets back when I lived in CT. Had student gold pass to the first ever season at Gampel. What's your point? I agree with BL by the way, enthusiasm isn't what it was.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Asking because I really don't know. Who was UConn's biggest mutual rivalry in the old Big East?
Cuse, Georgetown and Pitt were the biggest ones for me but I'm of a younger generation so my scope is basically 2000 on.

Reaction Score
Cuse, Georgetown and Pitt were the biggest ones for me but I'm of a younger generation so my scope is basically 2000 on.

Yeah our biggest rival is still Syracuse, but Georgetown/Villanova/Pitt are all pretty close. I guess the biggest thing missing is that we still had "rivalry" games with some of the "bottom tier teams" like Providence, Seton Hall and St. Johns, who we all had history against. When the Big East expanded in the mid 2000's, games against Cincy, Marquette and Louisville were immediately must watch because all of those teams were good too

mets1090

Reaction Score
Yeah our biggest rival is still Syracuse, but Georgetown/Villanova/Pitt are all pretty close. I guess the biggest thing missing is that we still had "rivalry" games with some of the "bottom tier teams" like Providence, Seton Hall and St. Johns, who we all had history against. When the Big East expanded in the mid 2000's, games against Cincy, Marquette and Louisville were immediately must watch because all of those teams were good too
Yeah there's definitely a huge gap between UConn/Memphis/whoever and UConn/Cuse/GTown/Nova/Pitt. And on top of that, in the Big East we had your classic "rivalries" with the likes of Providence who viewed us as rivals while they were simply a thorn in our side that somehow always beat us when we had our best teams. Not a rivalry in the sense that I got hyped for the game, but at least there was a history there that made me dislike them.

dayooper

Reaction Score

I guess I'm asking because I hear you all talking about lack of rivalries being a reason for lack of support, but I just don't know of many "Big10"like rivalries that were in the old Big East. I remember The Pitt - WVU, but that's about it. What teams returned the UConn hate or even what were some other mutual hate rivalries?

Reaction Score
Yeah there's definitely a huge gap between UConn/Memphis/whoever and UConn/Cuse/GTown/Nova/Pitt. And on top of that, in the Big East we had your classic "rivalries" with the likes of Providence who viewed us as rivals while they were simply a thorn in our side that somehow always beat us when we had our best teams. Not a rivalry in the sense that I got hyped for the game, but at least there was a history there that made me dislike them.

Does this mean you think Memphis is UConn's #1 rival in the AAC right now?

mets1090

Reaction Score
Does this mean you think Memphis is UConn's #1 rival in the AAC right now?
To be perfectly honest, I didn't really care to come up with a list of rivals in the AAC and they were the first name to come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom