Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer.

Reaction Score
Guess we gotta assume the position for another kick to the nads.
I want to ask you guys a question. If they were both being pursued, but now they are not. But now we ar sharing Gonzaga is back in talks, why would u assume that UConn wasn’t also in those talks but that is being kept very close due the explosive nature of UConn hoops and athletics.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The 4 B12 additons are currently 1-8 in conference. Hell we could do that and bring multiple nattys in bball.

In other news the AAC only has 3 teams over 500.

AAC is now the third or fourth best G5 football conference from top to bottom.

I would definitely take the Sun Belt and Mountain West over the AAC right now.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I want to ask you guys a question. If they were both being pursued, but now they are not. But now we ar sharing Gonzaga is back in talks, why would u assume that UConn wasn’t also in those talks but that is being kept very close due the explosive nature of UConn hoops and athletics.
As we've seen time and again, teams that make the move may have some chatter (or none at all), but then there is very quick movement, and boom, there's a confirmed announcement. Big12 jerked UConn's chain as sacrificial bait...I cannot believe we were ever seriously considered, perhaps a "nice to have" but not a "need to have". Nothing is really stopping the Big12 from taking UConn; that they didn't do so in July makes me think they won't now or next year or this decade. I would gladly like to be wrong.

Reaction Score
I've been wondering this for weeks as to why we are always left at the altar or totally forgotten..... Hard to come up with whys other than all I can think is a combination of many things. Also how realistic are we to analyze this and not just argue/defend the whys???? Are we looking at this truly objectively?

I'd say its geography from the other Universities, a state population that is stagnant or lessening (I have been away 24 years so I'm not truly updated to date), Blumenthal up, the fact that we are stubborn and MUST include football, cost base analysis that we will not move the needle in profit, the fact that noone wants to lose to a blue blood (M and W hoops) and an independent FB team---I am sure I am missing much more...I haven't read any posts after this yet so I apologize ahead of time if I am repetitive.

My ACC friends in Raleigh Triangle are as confused as I am as to why we are always left out...They so want BC and Syracuse out and us to come in! They'd even take ECU in place of them.

Can anyone give other reasons???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Gonzaga goes to the Big 12, Washington State isn't even the second most desirable athletic program in the State of Washington.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 really doesn't want or need UConn anymore unless it truly wants its TV in NYC more often, But lets be honest, the Big 12 got their dream scenario from the Pac 12 so even if Gonzaga is in "talks" I doubt they will get the votes needed to be invited.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh because...
1696952287299.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 really doesn't want or need UConn anymore unless it truly wants its TV in NYC more often, But lets be honest, the Big 12 got their dream scenario from the Pac 12 so even if Gonzaga is in "talks" I doubt they will get the votes needed to be invited.
I've come to the conclusion that we're screwed until the ACC blows up. Even then, being a part of the shattered remnants of that conference isn't a great alternative. It's just a better alternative than what we have right now.

Reaction Score
If we're parking our bball team somewhere and no other sports, we stay right where we are. Unless they're giving us double digit figures for revenue (LOL!!!) it's a big no. To me it's an all or nothing and anyone who thinks there's some unwritten promise that when our bball joins we'll be invited full time for fball in a few years, I have a bridge to sell you.
I keep seeing posts like these. When Oregon/UW and the Cal/Stan/SMU agreed to reduce shares for the remainder of the deal that ship sailed. The best UConn could hope for is the same money they get from the Big East + a bump for travels costs. A FB scheduling arrangement where UConn can then sell those games to CBSSN at an increased amount would be a sweetener.

I proposed UConn offer to go to the ACC at a half share when the FSU/Clemson/UNC started griping about $. This board thought that was a terrible idea. The people in charge of decisions at OU/UW/Stanford/SMU/Cal realized what UConn folks haven't. Networks are tapped out. They're not bumping dollars up for everyone for adding schools. If you're a school in a P5, even if you have pro rata in your deal, what advantage is it to you to bring in "another mouth to feed"?

Reaction Score
Yes, I think the basketball tv rights are fairly well known. I can't imagine maximizing that except on the margins. It's the tournament revenue that is at stake.

Reaction Score
I guess Uconn doesn’t meet those needs?
I'm thinking our football program is the hangup like it's always the hangup and there's no way in hell UConn is agreeing to just moving their basketball program there.

Reaction Score
now that's where things get interesting.
It's clear if the basketball tournament gets cleved away that uconn has a lot of value. Not as much as football but that was yormarks play.

Reaction Score
It's clear if the basketball tournament gets cleved away that uconn has a lot of value. Not as much as football but that was yormarks play.
Do they?

Here is my thing, if the Big 12 can convince that basketball is undervalued, which it is imo, then the clock starts on the big east getting a bigger deal or it will get taken .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom