Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Yormark confirms that the big 12 was in expansion talks with Connecticut and Gonzaga but indicates neither program is being pursued any longer.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We are in a power conference in the sport that matters most for UConn.
We are in a high major basketball conference. Not a power five conference. This is two completely different things.

Gonzaga has 5000 undergrads as part of its small private religiously affiliated school in Spokane.

$32M AD revenue and is 762 miles from the closest Big 12 team in BYU

They’ve made two final fours EVER.

Big 12 is absolutely psychotic for doing this. And for UConn to now be sitting here in a league that has teams that have been in the Horizon League, A-10, and CUSA in the last 20 years while schools like Gonzaga get the call up to the Big Leagues is just a complete and total joke.

Reaction Score
Well, that’s disingenuous. We could go B12 for basketball only in a heartbeat. We wouldn’t want to.
Did you guys not read the short article? It says Gonzaga for all sports.

Reaction Score
We are in a high major basketball conference. Not a power five conference. This is two completely different things.

Gonzaga has 5000 undergrads as part of its small private religiously affiliated school in Spokane.

Big 12 is absolutely psychotic for doing this. And for UConn to now be sitting here in a league that has teams that have been in the Horizon League, A-10, and CUSA in the last 20 years while schools like Gonzaga get the call up to the Big Leagues is just a complete and total joke.
P5 is a made up thing with no application to basketball, Big East is obviously a Power basketball conference.

Big 12 is going to be a bunch of teams from the AAC, Conference USA, WCC, MVC, A-Sun...

Reaction Score

I understand your viewpoint but respectfully disagree. Also it should be noted that the Big 12 now has schools formerly in C-USA, American and WCC.

Reaction Score
Well, even if we were considering a non-football invitation, this is likely where the talks did/will fall apart:

"The source said Gonzaga would potentially get $2 million if accepted into the league, a pittance compared to the other schools."

Reaction Score
I hope they do go in the big 12… because I certainly don’t want them in the big east

Drew

Reaction Score
P5 is a made up thing with no application to basketball, Big East is obviously a Power basketball conference.

Big 12 is going to be a bunch of teams from the AAC, Conference USA, WCC, MVC, A-Sun...
Except its actually not a ‘made up thing’ and is codified into the NCAA bylaws: NCAA adopts new Division I model giving Power 5 autonomy

And we sponsor more sports than basketball. The Big East in fact is not a ‘power’ conference- it’s a high-major in one sport and low major in everything else. Just because you and others don’t care about anything else doesn’t change that.

Reaction Score
Except its actually not a ‘made up thing’ and is codified into the NCAA bylaws: NCAA adopts new Division I model giving Power 5 autonomy

And we sponsor more sports than basketball. The Big East in fact is not a ‘power’ conference- it’s a high-major in one sport and low major in everything else. Just because you and others don’t care about anything else doesn’t change that.
I'm well aware that UConn sponsors more sports than basketball, I'm also well aware the Big East is a Power conference in basketball. Lolz at you thinking P5 is still a thing.

I guarantee I know way more than you about UConn athletics across the board.

Reaction Score

We just don't know the significance of P5 for basketball yet.

The NCAA has a financial reason for wanting to hold onto the tournament, and the football school have a financial reason to rip it away. For the NCAA, this is the entire reason for its existence, and it would otherwise be incredibly diminished if the tourney was taken away from them. It's possible the NCAA would cease to exist.

There's no way to know if schools outside the P5 power structure would be given an equitable seat at the table.

Given the way the P5 have treated conferences like the MWC or AAC, you could certainly see the possibility that they would try to screw over the BE. Especially once the NCAA is out of the picture and the selection committee then becomes P5 dominant.

Everything points to the P5 then slowly snuffing out conferences outside the structure either through money ($$ for coaching, $$ for facilities, TV slots) or else through certain slights (seeding, tourney berths, etc.). I'd add refereeing to that too.

The NCAA structure right now establishes a balance between all leagues. We don't know what the future holds.

Reaction Score
We just don't know the significance of P5 for basketball yet.

The NCAA has a financial reason for wanting to hold onto the tournament, and the football school have a financial reason to rip it away. For the NCAA, this is the entire reason for its existence, and it would otherwise be incredibly diminished if the tourney was taken away from them. It's possible the NCAA would cease to exist.

There's no way to know if schools outside the P5 power structure would be given an equitable seat at the table.

Given the way the P5 have treated conferences like the MWC or AAC, you could certainly see the possibility that they would try to screw over the BE. Especially once the NCAA is out of the picture and the selection committee then becomes P5 dominant.

Everything points to the P5 then slowly snuffing out conferences outside the structure either through money ($$ for coaching, $$ for facilities, TV slots) or else through certain slights (seeding, tourney berths, etc.). I'd add refereeing to that too.

The NCAA structure right now establishes a balance between all leagues. We don't know what the future holds.
There is no P5.

Drew

Reaction Score
I'm well aware that UConn sponsors more sports than basketball, I'm also well aware the Big East is a Power conference in basketball. Lolz at you thinking P5 is still a thing.

I guarantee I know way more than you about UConn athletics across the board.
Got it- so you’re just putting your head in the sand. I’ll stop engaging you here since you don’t want to deal in reality.

Reaction Score
Got it- so you’re just putting your head in the sand. I’ll stop engaging you here since you don’t want to deal in reality.
Somehow this makes sense in your head.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Well, even if we were considering a non-football invitation, this is likely where the talks did/will fall apart:

"The source said Gonzaga would potentially get $2 million if accepted into the league, a pittance compared to the other schools."

The SMU classic

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has always been weird so i've come to this conclusion. I can't imagine the big leagues are actually interested in Gonzaga. Gonzaga wants out of the WCC like nobody can imagine but they don't want to go to smaller conference like the MWC.

Reaction Score
I dont get it. Zags are just St Johns/GTown, but in the middle of no where.
If Yormark values BBall and wanted to make a move, why doesnt he call up UConn, GTown, St John and Nova and see if all 4 want to join.

Reaction Score
If Yormark values BBall and wanted to make a move, why doesnt he call up UConn, GTown, St John and Nova and see if all 4 want to join.

Well if you believe the rumors from this summer, he has done some version of that.

Most likely those schools don’t want to do that

Reaction Score

He called UConn but UConn will only join if football comes with their other sports. That was reported a few months back.

Reaction Score
The Big 12's freshman class is stinking up the joint big-time. Houston lost to Rice which just lost to UConn. This is Yormark's opportunity to tell those sonsobitches "FFS, let's at least bring in ONE PROVEN WINNER!!"

Reaction Score
The 4 B12 additons are currently 1-8 in conference. Hell we could do that and bring multiple nattys in bball.

In other news the AAC only has 3 teams over 500.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we're parking our bball team somewhere and no other sports, we stay right where we are. Unless they're giving us double digit figures for revenue (LOL!!!) it's a big no. To me it's an all or nothing and anyone who thinks there's some unwritten promise that when our bball joins we'll be invited full time for fball in a few years, I have a bridge to sell you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom