Would another loss actually be a good thing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would another loss actually be a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will say this, no! But would one ruin my night at any point, also no.

Prefer not to get a loss that could begin a stumble. These kids have confidence in each other so there is no need to worry about being overly confident, they have a great work ethic along with huge expectations.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Win no matter who tries to take your throne........................

Reaction Score
Ok, let's say that it could be irrefutably proved that losing at Creighton would be a good thing. What is anyone supposed to do with the information? Having proved the proposition, what constitutes the "ergo?"

But I admit I was thinking the same thing myself. Hey, a loss here wouldn't be so bad. Until I read the following post on the Creighton message board:

"If Creighton plays their A game, they will win no matter what UConn does."

Just reading that and reflecting on it a minute made me realize that any good that could come from UConn losing utterly pales compared to the good of watching UConn dismantle Creighton's A game and serve it up to this fellow on a shingle.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If I had a choice on the games we have left. Win all of them in the regular season except on the road at Marquette. Seems like Danny respects Shaka more than any other coach and if it helps them secure a 2 seed even better. Then win the BE tournament and win two in Brooklyn two in Boston and two in Phoenix. Say bye-bye to Clingan and Castle. Hopefully keep AK one more year but that is a huge question mark. Then bring in one more big time recruit and one big time portal transfer. Also assume, Diarra comes back, JStew comes back, Solo comes back and hopefully JRoss and Romo come back.

Reaction Score
We had this discussion on here recently. I can't find the thread but the general consensus was no they don't need a loss because Hurley would never let them lose focus anyway. So a loss wouldn't help their focus because Hurley can keep them focused without a loss.
29 NCAA tournament champions had 2 losses or less. It's not like you need to go in with more losses to win the title. One of those 29 is a UConn team.

Reaction Score
Ok, hear me out- all of us, myself included, want UConn to run the table the rest of the year.

No one wants a loss come BET or NCAAT time. So if they were to lose again, I think we would all want it to be in the next five games.

My question is, could another regular season loss (or 2) actually be a good thing for the team? With only one or two more losses we would still likely secure a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAAT. Would a loss take some of the pressure off the team? Would it help them refocus on an area that could be an issue in the postseason? Could the team be getting too confident? (These are all hypothetical questions mind you.)

What do you think?
Run the table but I think our magic number is 2 wins to lock in a co championship. Or 2 with a Marquette loss to lock it. Let’s clinch then if it happens so be it. But why not have a 29 game win streak to mark this new era.

Reaction Score
A loss would just give other teams confidence that they can beat us.

There's nobody on the schedule that we should lose to. This team has proven itself to be the class of the BE.

Nothing left to do but to finish string and wait for the tourney

Reaction Score
Ok, hear me out- all of us, myself included, want UConn to run the table the rest of the year.

No one wants a loss come BET or NCAAT time. So if they were to lose again, I think we would all want it to be in the next five games.

My question is, could another regular season loss (or 2) actually be a good thing for the team? With only one or two more losses we would still likely secure a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAAT. Would a loss take some of the pressure off the team? Would it help them refocus on an area that could be an issue in the postseason? Could the team be getting too confident? (These are all hypothetical questions mind you.)

What do you think?
No. Thats cowardly talk. Ask DH or anyone on that team that question and see what they tell you.

Reaction Score

What do you think?
The 1999 teams last loss came on February 20th and they ran the table from there. Last years team lost in the BE Tourney. Both won titles. Doesnt matter either way.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

What do you think?
IDK....

How do you think Marquette is feeling about us removing all that pressure from them, right about now?

Reaction Score

What do you think?
Depends. If they play well and get beat, could be motivating. But a listless effort, no.

And, losing never helps as much as winning.

Reaction Score
How about a very close game with us squeaking out a win?

Doesn’t impact our record and seeding. Danny gets material to coach and push the team. And Danny himself continues to prove to himself and fans that he’s improved as a coach immensely and win high pressure, close games.

Reaction Score
Answer to that question, a resounding NO!

This team is not one that seems to lose their intensity or focus, or show any zemblance of feeling pressure to win. So what benefit would there be to lose?

I think they're capable of running the table if they play their B+ or better game. Last game they blew out the number 4 team in the nation with two of their top scorers having an off night. I'm not saying they'll run the table but I'd sure love to see that happen.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UConn is the defending National Champion. Losing at any time is not a good thing.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Most all of us agree that, when this team plays well, no one has a chance to beat us. That is in part because, if UConn does play well, it implies the defense is clicking and forcing the other team off their A game. What is the value of the team not playing well - letting another team play well - and us losing? I don't see it.

Reaction Score
Absurd question. Ok, if they were undefeated then I can see the pressure angle. But, this team still has to win the regular season BE title. UConn teams have won titles in the past by rolling the table. Keep winning.

Reaction Score
I see it as a legit question if viewed in terms of the target on our backs growing bigger and bigger and therefore the pressure that could come into play via a hot shooting underdog in the NCAA and/or off night OR foul trouble. If the huskies can win at Creighton or Marquette in one or both or all 3 of those scenarios then the fear of that happening in the ncaas is drastically diminished.

Regardless No question the target grows bigger as a now undisputed #1. I’d like to defend that a few times at an absolute minimum. That builds character and resiliency. I see the cloak of invincibility being valid

Yet at the same time the motivation of a loss is real and relieves some pressure. Most particularly if the team hasn’t dealt with and overcome that pressure in recent play, then maybe, maybe in that limited scenario a regular season loss is better than winning out relatively effortlessly.

But I want the BE title bad, it’d (a BE loss) probably piss the team of enough to win NCAA games by an even bigger margin than last year but that’s not in accordance with Hurley’s championship mentality.

Reaction Score
The very notion reeks of weakness. The presumption is the players have become complacent. If a coach can't see that and correct it before a loss happens, he's the one that should be lost.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Me, an absolute moron- winning more games is good
OP, a wise man- it’s better to lose games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics