Would another loss actually be a good thing? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Would another loss actually be a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1708518115909.gif

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The OP deserves some blame for last night's debacle but we shouldn't overlook the role Depster's hubris played.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I am at peace with this loss.

It still sucked, but we were due.

Also... Sometimes something clicks in the mind of an opponent and they, as a team, just get in a zone. Ashworth was in that zone and his vibe carried the whole team. They fed off him and it lifted all of them. How can you stop something like that?

Can the coaches recognize early enough when this happens and make adjustments? I'll choose to believe the answer is yes, and Danny will become better at this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Apparently many on here can’t read. I never said I hope the team loses. It was never my “wish”. I actually said in the OP that I want them to run the table as well. I posed the question if anyone thought a loss could be a taken as a positive thing. IMO tonight’s loss will be a positive and the team will be better because of it. In 2014 we lost to Louisville by 30 at the end of the regular season and it worked out alright for us then..
Bookmarked.

Reaction Score
As of this moment, I'm hopeful that the answer to your original question is yes. There are things to be learned from any loss, so let the lessons be deciphered and absorbed, and may they make the team stronger.

As a general matter, I don't favor positing a notion like this in advance of games, because it generates a type of discussion that would clearly be distracting if it were a question posed by the coaches to the players. If that puts be the case, then why bring it up? Besides, the question's answer invariably becomes self-evident after the fact, even without examination so much as observation, as we are about to witness.

Now, what do you think?
I think the OP had an opinion, just an opinion, that was disliked by many from the BY. I suggest that players and staff don't follow the Yard, and the post had no bearing on the outcome...NONE. It was a loss to a good team, let's let the players & staff get back to Wednesday business, and play well going forward.

CL82

Reaction Score
The OP deserves some blame for last night's debacle but we shouldn't overlook the role Depster's hubris played.
Yep. You make posts like the one below, and your next game looks like last night.

IMG_1712.jpeg

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yep. You make posts like the one below, and your next game looks like last night.

View attachment 96729
I'm thinking that a two-tiered hanging may be in order once the big dance begins.

The Boneyard hangs the faux judge (Deep) while the faux judge hangs UCLJ0211.

Reaction Score
If you want to be a frail little hothouse flower? Have at it. I won’t do it.

Reaction Score
To the original post the answer is usually no. Every game is an opportunity to learn something about yourself and your team but many of those lessons only apply to that specific opponent. You can learn most of the same stuff winning a close game instead of playing pop psychologist and pretending you just had a "good" loss. That may be true earlier in the season. At this point in the season you need to be managing all aspects of your team's performance rather than pretending you can motivate them to work harder. That's a recipe for burning them out mentally and physically.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I have a very good friend who is a die hard Jets fan. About two hours before last season's Monday night opening day he sent me a text that said "I had a flashback to Vinny Testaverde going down. LOL".

Anyone who follows the Jets and/or anyone who follows the Mets should know better than to send some of this out to the universe. Sadly, they never learn and spend their fanhood tortured continually.

Reaction Score
No. Winning is ALWAYS better than losing. Unless you are DePaul. Then it is just what you do.

Reaction Score
I have a very good friend who is a die hard Jets fan. About two hours before last season's Monday night opening day he sent me a text that said "I had a flashback to Vinny Testaverde going down. LOL".

Anyone who follows the Jets and/or anyone who follows the Mets should know better than to send some of this out to the universe. Sadly, they never learn and spend their fanhood tortured continually.
Oh my goodness! Your friend made Aaron Rodgers blow his Achilles out? Is he a wizard???

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness! Your friend made Aaron Rodgers blow his Achilles out? Is he a wizard???
No, he's one of many who will suffer endlessly.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that a two-tiered hanging may be in order once the big dance begins.

The Boneyard hangs the faux judge (Deep) while the faux judge hangs UCLJ0211.
Any mojo that deep might've had has long since shriveled up.

CL82

Reaction Score
You won't take responsibility for your heresy? Oh, that's right you just try to credit for success after it happens.

Reaction Score
You won't take responsibility for your heresy? Oh, that's right you just try to credit for success after it happens.
Congrats. You’ve officially passed Prankster as the unfunny senile guy here.

Just eat your bowl of oatmeal and let the winning people do winning things.

CL82

Reaction Score
Congrats. You’ve officially passed Prankster as the unfunny senile guy here.

Just eat your bowl of oatmeal and let the winning people do winning things.
Lol, just for the record Connecticut is 1-0 in national championships since you retired. Let's not mess with success.

Reaction Score
Lol, just for the record Connecticut is 1-0 in national championships since you retired. Let's not mess with success.
I’ve been around for titles before you and I’ll be here for titles after you. I get your cute little role play here and it’s fine until March. Then you will want to tuck yourself away and let the big boys handle things.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve been around for titles before you and I’ll be here for titles after you. I get your cute little role play here and it’s fine until March. Then you will want to tuck yourself away and let the big boys handle things.
Lol, last year when we went into the nine game slide you "retired". After the Iona win after we had the Mojo suicide in declared Bill Murray are mojo icon, you climbed back on board.

This year where we're destroying everyone, all of a sudden you want to "lead us"? Give me a break. Mojo doesn't respect bandwagon fans. Neither do I.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, hear me out- all of us, myself included, want UConn to run the table the rest of the year.

No one wants a loss come BET or NCAAT time. So if they were to lose again, I think we would all want it to be in the next five games.

My question is, could another regular season loss (or 2) actually be a good thing for the team? With only one or two more losses we would still likely secure a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAAT. Would a loss take some of the pressure off the team? Would it help them refocus on an area that could be an issue in the postseason? Could the team be getting too confident? (These are all hypothetical questions mind you.)

What do you think?

No.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

No.

Reaction Score
As I thought.....Creighton is the eighth oldest team in terms of experience in CBB.

Reaction Score
Everyone who called for my hanging after posting this can now eat a nice big piece of crow. Seemed to work out pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom