WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 24 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ionescu desperation long heave is way short. Phoenix survives.

That really wasn't much of a foul on what led to the game winning FT. Weak sauce.

New York didn't really deserve to make the playoffs, but give them credit for a very game effort once they got there.

Cunningham is your Player of the Game. Completely changed the momentum midway thru Q3. 21 points in 22 minutes, 6-7 behind the arc. SDS had 22, Griner 16 pts/10 reb.

Laney w/ 25, Howard 16 pts/10 reb Ionescu 14 pts/11 assists.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
BG lucky time ran out. The way she jumped at the shot and landed with her lead foot in between Sabrina's. I think it would (should) have been called a foul for making her landing dangerous.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The best possible result for Seattle is to play Mercury vs Sky.
Also, 4 of the 5 Mercury starters had to play 36-40 minutes.
If Cunningham doesnt have a repeat effort it helps the Storm.

However, I am guessing no Stewie for Storm, so anything can happen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
BG lucky time ran out. The way she jumped at the shot and landed with her lead foot in between Sabrina's. I think it would (should) have been called a foul for making her landing dangerous.
At first I thought BG got her on the follow thru, Ionescu ended up on the floor. But on replay SI put her arm up and gave BG a little push, and ended up knocking herself down. Something about an immovable object.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The best possible result for Seattle is to play Mercury vs Sky.
Also, 4 of the 5 Mercury starters had to play 36-40 minutes.
If Cunningham doesnt have a repeat effort it helps the Storm.

However, I am guessing no Stewie for Storm, so anything can happen.

3 of 5 (BG, SDS and Turner)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Peddy can't possibly go 2-14 again can she? Will Taurasi play? If Stewie is out, I don't really like Seattle's chances against anybody. Probably can't really expect a 22 point quarter from Loyd again.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
3 of 5 (BG, SDS and Turner)
Meant to type 30, not 36 minutes.

Still a lot of minutes.

Oddity for NY, is that the AP ROY, Onyenwere only played 9 minutes with 0 points and 0 rebounds. She had as much playoff experience as Sabrina coming into game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ogonbowale has 11 and is shooting 50% from the floor, but it doesn't seem like she's really had much of an impact. She did for a minute when Dallas cut a 21 point deficit to 12, but then the lead jumped right back up again.

Explain to me why Alarie played the first 4 minutes, left the game with Dallas down by 1 point and doesnt get back in? In those 4 minutes she had 3 rebounds and an assist. Since then Dallas hasnt been close.

Dallas needs front court scoring and Alarie doesn't provide much on that end.

When Dallas cut the lead to three, they had their most potentially dangerous offensive lineup in: Sabally, Harrison, Gray, Ogunbowale and Mabrey, with Mabrey (mostly) breaking the Chicago pressure and Arike and Sabou doing the scoring. Once Sabally had to leave the game (stomach cramps? ankle?), the spell was broken. Then, HC Johnson started doing her patented "give me 5 minutes" with other players and that was kind of it. Plus, Sloot got going.

Alarie. The folks at Her Hoops Stats just named her 2nd team All-Defense and I get it. She's ungainly agile in a coltish kind of way, but gets the job done on D and rebounding. And that's where I think going to Harrison and Sabally all the time hurt: the Sky outrebounded the Wings 47-35. Plus, there was no one at home (in the paint) on too many drives to the hoops or weakside cuts. Alarie is a good obstacle.
Would've had her (not Thornton or Kuier) spell Izzy or Sabou. For an alleged defensive-minded coach, Johnson makes some head-scratchers at times.

Dallas front office and coaching staff need to figure out if they want to continue with this "might play 25 minutes, might play 10" approach. If they continue to employ the downhill fastbreak and ISO approaches, it could work (if the players buy in). However, it's got to be hard for a player to find her game-to-game rhythmn that way (see MoJeff, Mabrey, Gray, Alarie).

Maybe a set philosophy and some key pruning of the roster would help....

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lynx in good hands with Bread and Butter. (Very Paige / Azzi Like but older);)

'I know what I'm capable of.' Fowles brings heart, soul, leadership to Lynx - StarTribune.com

That has meant taking Collier under her wing. It started early, with Fowles willing to help and Collier, smartly, craving a mentor.Reeve said Collier is Fowles' closest friend on the team; at a recent photo shoot for the team picture, one shot had Collier riding Fowles piggyback. "She brings us together," Collier said.
Said Fowles: "Me and Phee are like bread and butter."

Reaction Score
Was anyone else curious in the Phoenix game how there were zero (unless I missed it while eating :D) defensive 3-second calls on NY? I mean, I get that you can't call it on the time, but they were standing in the lane with Griner, not even paying attention to the other offensive player. It perhaps was just me, so curious if anyone else noticed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was anyone else curious in the Phoenix game how there were zero (unless I missed it while eating :D) defensive 3-second calls on NY? I mean, I get that you can't call it on the time, but they were standing in the lane with Griner, not even paying attention to the other offensive player. It perhaps was just me, so curious if anyone else noticed.
Doesn't that mean BG should have been called for as many Offensive 3-second calls? :confused:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A defender is allowed to be in the paint without any time limit if he or she is actively guarding an opposing player. The purpose of the defensive 3-second rule is to prevent a player from standing in the lane under the basket (as Margo Dydek, at 7-2, used to do for the Sun) ready to block anyone who attempted a layup, even if all the offensive players were 10 or 15 feet away.

If Griner is "in the vicinity", her defender can be in the paint as long as she remains close to Griner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
getting back to Dallas, I really hope they consider starting Mabrey in the future, it's going to be hard to keep the trio of Jefferson, Aari, Mabrey all playing big minutes alltho Jefferson has had injury history so maybe that has made the decision not as hard

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Even though the Liberty lost, I thought they played well last night (minus the first 5min of the game) and you can see what they are trying to build. I'm very intrigued by what could happen next season if they get Laney/Ionescu/Howard healthy the entire year. Sabrina as been up and down all year but she remains an elite passer and I think she and Howard are just getting started. Laney has the green light to shoot but I do not like when they have her play the 1 and bring the ball up the court, the ball can stagnate. Where she excels is getting in the lane and passing out for an open-3---if the Liberty are hitting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Even though the Liberty lost, I thought they played well last night (minus the first 5min of the game) and you can see what they are trying to build. I'm very intrigued by what could happen next season if they get Laney/Ionescu/Howard healthy the entire year. Sabrina as been up and down all year but she remains an elite passer and I think she and Howard are just getting started. Laney has the green light to shoot but I do not like when they have her play the 1 and bring the ball up the court, the ball can stagnate. Where she excels is getting in the lane and passing out for an open-3---if the Liberty are hitting.
I would add Whitcomb and Rebecca Allen as essential pieces and I like the further development of Onyenwere and Didi Richards. It would be nice to find a little size though so we don't have to triple team in the post

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I would add Whitcomb and Rebecca Allen as essential pieces and I like the further development of Onyenwere and Didi Richards. It would be nice to find a little size though so we don't have to triple team in the post

And, knock on wood, Jocyln Willoughby, who played pretty well as a rookie, is back full strength next year as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That really wasn't much of a foul on what led to the game winning FT. Weak sauce.
I finally rewatched the ending. It's clearly a foul pushing Turner in the back. I realize that you feel contractually obligated to argue it since the call was on Whitcomb, but there wasn't even the slightest peep of a protest from her or any of her teammates.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I like a lot of the pieces on the Liberty roster, but they are vastly undersized compared to the top 6 teams in the league right now. All of the top teams (CT, Vegas, MV, Phx, Sea, Chi) are starting two legitimate posts, and many of them are starting two all stars. If DC was healthy, they'd have Charles, EDD, Messeman, Hines-Allen.

NY has Howard and...Rashonda Grey and Kylie Shook. Laney, Onyenwere, and Allen are great, but they are not long-term defensive options at the 4 spot.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This was inevitable since the Storm never publicly mentioned some approximate diagnosis. Any news on Diana?
I read somewhere that DT has not practiced, and is most likely out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I finally rewatched the ending. It's clearly a foul pushing Turner in the back. I realize that you feel contractually obligated to argue it since the call was on Whitcomb, but there wasn't even the slightest peep of a protest from her or any of her teammates.
I missed the push in the back. The swipe at the ball is what I thought drew the foul, and I didn't see much contact there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom