WNBA Thread - Post Olympics | Page 22 | The Boneyard

WNBA Thread - Post Olympics

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Saw this in the Athletic Article (link below)

Should the WNBA ditch single-elimination games? Which low seed will make a playoff run? 12 questions, answers on the WNBA playoffs – The Athletic

Should the WNBA do away with single elimination?

(Answer given)

Next season. I think it made sense when the WNBA first organized the playoffs this way, because they were trying to make it exciting and entice new fans. I don’t have an issue with the first-round single-elimination games. They can stay, so that some of that initial win-or-go-home stays. But every round after should be set up as a series. There’s too much talent and good basketball that gets missed with the playoff format as it is now.

I agree that after the 5-8 seeds play single elimination, I wish the second round (involving 3-4 seeds) was 2 of 3 and then semifinals/ finals stay 3 of 5

I recall a discussion a long time ago on BY about this and I think people were saying there would be scheduling issues but for the life of me, cant think why?
IMO the bigger problem is allowing sub .500 teams to make the playoffs. I don't care for that in the pros.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The D is Dallas does not stand for Defense. 25-14 Sky after 1Q. Was expecting a closer game. Moriah started off well on offense but I do not see why she is no longer the defense nightmare she was at UConn. I guess injuries sapped some of her speed over the years?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Game looked like it was going to be a back and forth shootout, but then Dallas went ice cold. Chicago did not. Copper and Parker tore the Wings apart.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dolson and Mabrey got into it. I'm not quite sure who started it, but they were both giving a bit of extra in the exchange. Double technical.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saw this in the Athletic Article (link below)

Should the WNBA ditch single-elimination games? Which low seed will make a playoff run? 12 questions, answers on the WNBA playoffs – The Athletic

Should the WNBA do away with single elimination?

(Answer given)

Next season. I think it made sense when the WNBA first organized the playoffs this way, because they were trying to make it exciting and entice new fans. I don’t have an issue with the first-round single-elimination games. They can stay, so that some of that initial win-or-go-home stays. But every round after should be set up as a series. There’s too much talent and good basketball that gets missed with the playoff format as it is now.

I agree that after the 5-8 seeds play single elimination, I wish the second round (involving 3-4 seeds) was 2 of 3 and then semifinals/ finals stay 3 of 5

I recall a discussion a long time ago on BY about this and I think people were saying there would be scheduling issues but for the life of me, cant think why?
Why have a team that went 12-20 in the playoffs at all? I'd like to see only half the teams make the playoffs, a single bye for the top two teams, and a 2-of-3 in the first round for 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Moriah really looking good on the offensive end. Ended the half with a full court drive and freed herself for a buzzer beater jump shot. Still down 44-29 at half. Dallas posts invisible (or worse)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Sky are looking pretty good. Copper and Parker have brought their A games. Parker with 7/9/6 in the first half.

MoJeff looks good, too. I hope she can stay healthy for a few years.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Parker got off to a hot start but I don't think she scored in Q2, missed a couple bunnies. Quigley is now second in scoring for the Sky. But Copper is the star, 14 pts on 7-11 shooting.

Ogonbowale has 11 and is shooting 50% from the floor, but it doesn't seem like she's really had much of an impact. She did for a minute when Dallas cut a 21 point deficit to 12, but then the lead jumped right back up again.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Explain to me why Alarie played the first 4 minutes, left the game with Dallas down by 1 point and doesnt get back in? In those 4 minutes she had 3 rebounds and an assist. Since then Dallas hasnt been close.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Explain to me why Alarie played the first 4 minutes, left the game with Dallas down by 1 point and doesnt get back in? In those 4 minutes she had 3 rebounds and an assist. Since then Dallas hasnt been close.
Good question. All 3 O boards. Harrison is shooting 1-5 in 12 minutes w/ 2 reb. Kuier is +4 in 5 minutes, even though she produced almost no stats. Sometimes +/- really doesn't tell you anything.

Reaction Score
Dallas needs front court scoring and Alarie doesn't provide much on that end.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabally is killing the Sky in Q3. 3 straight line drives, one was an and-1. But then she just picked up her 3rd foul and went to the bench. Lead was down to 6 a few moments ago. Sky was up 37-16 early in Q2 and then kinda went to sleep. Ball movement hasn't been very good as the lead has evaporated.

Reaction Score
The D is Dallas does not stand for Defense. 25-14 Sky after 1Q. Was expecting a closer game. Moriah started off well on offense but I do not see why she is no longer the defense nightmare she was at UConn. I guess injuries sapped some of her speed over the years?
There isn't a Stewie on Dallas.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lead is down to 4. Chicago all out of sorts. Parker hasn't scored in forever. DeShields taking some terrible shots.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Chicago is 3-17 from behind the arc. Brutal.

edit--make it 3-19. 55-50 thru Q3. Chicago is trying really hard to give this game away after they got off to a fantastic start. Just standing around taking turns jacking up shots, absolutely awful offense the entire 3rd quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good effort on the defensive end by Dallas to get the game to 55-50. Mabrey is so sneaky.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Chicago stopped settling for the first available 3 and has built the lead back up to 8. Parker finally scored again, now 2 buckets in a row.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Parker has missed about half a dozen bunnies, 2 on one possession. I think she started 3-5 shooting, she's now 5-15. Yeah, 14 reb./7 assists, but how in the world can she miss so many easy shots? If she hits her gimmes this game is totally over already.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chicago stopped settling for the first available 3 and has built the lead back up to 8. Parker finally scored again, now 2 buckets in a row.
Followed by 4? missed bunnies but Dallas counters by forcing shots. Shame Sabally is playing hurt. She is going to be scary good. Dolson rock solid on defense.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now it's over. Sloot w/ a little scoring barrage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom