WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nobody will ever convince me that 19 FT's for one team to 5 for the other is warranted in a professional game. One of the things that just turns me off to the WNBA in the past few years.
I hate games in which one team outscored the other by a lot from the floor but loses. The Sun outscored the Aces 61-51 from the floor.

Reaction Score
I hate games in which one team outscored the other by a lot from the floor but loses. The Sun outscored the Aces 61-51 from the floor.
They also had 16 more shot attempts than the Aces, along with winning on both the boards plus the turnover battle but they didn't turn those advantages into points. This was the type of game the Sun wanted to play but they failed to capitalize on it.

Reaction Score
They also had 16 more shot attempts than the Aces, along with winning on both the boards plus the turnover battle but they didn't turn those advantages into points. This was the type of game the Sun wanted to play but they failed to capitalize on it.
I read somewhere that Williams and Bonner were a combined 3-18. The Sun can't afford them both struggling from the floor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The problem with Bonner is that she takes too dam long to make a move. She always holds it while time runs down, and by then she can't get free for a good shot. I knew it would happen. She has always done this ever since she came to Conn, not the player to get the last shot. Should have brought in Carrington, someone who always make something happen.
Funny you should bring that up. I play in an open court gathering on Sunday mornings (all ages) and the players I have the hardest time against are young(er) players who can take the step-back three. (Maybe us old guys just aren't used to defending that move -- neither are my knees ;)). However, I also go against a 6'5" guard who takes a long time to assess his shot and keeps it around his face. He, paradoxically, is easier to guard.

That thought hit me while watching Bonner. The (relatively) slow set-up to her shot and the whole mechanism is right there in front of you, like the 6'5" guard. As such, she's got to work hard on her shot to get it off. The Suns might be better working Williams or Heidelmann (sp) off a weakside screen for a catch-and-shoot.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think the biggest key for the Aces so far today is that they are keeping the Sun from getting O boards. That and Plum looks like herself. She should just stop taking 3s and keep driving until they stop her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sun with a good run before the half. Wilson having another big game. Gray looks human tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Teams are a combined 3-25 from 3 tonight. What is going on?!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum has been magnificent this game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And this is why I hate the Sun. They are literally beating up the Aces players. Somehow the refs are completely blind to most of it. Ball don't lie though, Connecticut has been terrible from the FT line.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
4-31 combined on 3s now. Worst ever in a Finals game? Whatever Plum has must be highly contagious and she's given it to everybody on both teams.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Turned into a blowout. Pretty basketball trumped bully ball. Good triumphed over evil.

Maybe the key to the game was the stretch of Q3 when Gray went to the locker room with an injury. Not only did the Aces maintain their lead during this period, they stretched it out. Plum had the game completely under control during that time.

Reaction Score
Turned into a blowout. Pretty basketball trumped bully ball. Good triumphed over evil.

Maybe the key to the game was the stretch of Q3 when Gray went to the locker room with an injury. Not only did the Aces maintain their lead during this period, they stretched it out. Plum had the game completely under control during that time.
That sounds stupid.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So if the Aces close out the series, who gets Finals MVP? As good as Gray has been, Wilson has also been playing at an unbelievable level. That will be a tough call.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So if the Aces close out the series, who gets Finals MVP? As good as Gray has been, Wilson has also been playing at an unbelievable level. That will be a tough call.

If you mean the Finals (Sun vs. Aces), I think Wilson has been the dominant force thus far. If one was to look at the entire playoffs, I'd point to Gray.

By the second half I was (channel) screen surfing between the Yanks and Red Sox & this game and what caught my eye was how well the Aces run when Hamby is in the lineup. She knows how to get on the attack.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it time to recognize the Sun are missing "something" that could push them over the edge? Their core is very good and played together for years but maybe they need a bit of a shake up. They've been achingly close but haven't gotten over the hump.

For the Aces it (likely) took a coaching change to push them to this point. It also helps that Gray and Plum have grown into some of the best in the game. Do the Sun have anyone with that kind of potential in waiting?

Just a random question.

Reaction Score
Is it time to recognize the Sun are missing "something" that could push them over the edge? Their core is very good and played together for years but maybe they need a bit of a shake up. They've been achingly close but haven't gotten over the hump.

For the Aces it (likely) took a coaching change to push them to this point. It also helps that Gray and Plum have grown into some of the best in the game. Do the Sun have anyone with that kind of potential in waiting?

Just a random question.
They are missing truly elite guard play. They are missing Jasmine Thomas, but I'm not sure she would have made a difference versus the Aces. The Aces have 4 All-Star starters. Bonner hasn't played well so far, and they can't have her play bad if they want to win. The front court rotation of J Jones, Thomas, and B Jones is very good, but their guards can't compete against the Aces. Gray is too big and physical and playing at a high level. Plum had a good game 2, and should continue to attack. Young plays good defense, and has shown she can step up the scoring if needed. Wilson is of course a beast, and she adapted Thomas' defense in game 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom