WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces | The Boneyard

WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Probably deserves its own thread.
Well, here we go... probably the Sun's last chance to win one with this core group that was assembled starting in 2014 and 2015 with the Thomas's. Bri Jones, Courtney Williams and Natisha Hiedeman all hit free agency and it seems unlikely that these guys can run it back without restructuring several contracts.

The Aces are super-impressive in many aspects. Chelsea Gray has been as good or better than anyone has ever been in the playoffs. As Geno has said, you have to have really, really good guards to win a championship. The Aces have that, and they have a size/strength advantage over the Sun guards. Can the Sun's disruptive team defense keep the Aces guards from running over and around Natisha and Courtney? The Sun should have an advantage in the front court but then there's the MVP playing great basketball herself.

I think on paper the Aces look like the significant favorite overall, but then so did the Sky and here we are in Vegas. This is not a mission impossible for the Sun, but they are going to need all the mojo of the last series to carry over right from the jump.
GO SUN!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Point God Gray with dimes and daggers in Q1.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How does Plum go from hitting 113 3s during the season, to can't buy one to save her life in the post season? It's mind boggling.

Aces got off to a great start and have given it all away now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CT is so resilient. I underestimated them. :oops:

Reaction Score
CT should have this game, let down with 3 mins hurt them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last possession by CT bleech. Game itself had none of the Aces Storm appeal. Guess it makes sense since Football season starts.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Aces managed to win ugly. They seized control in Q4, then almost let it slip away again.

Wilson, Gray and Thomas all showed up big time. Other players had varying degrees of effectiveness.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Nobody will ever convince me that 19 FT's for one team to 5 for the other is warranted in a professional game. One of the things that just turns me off to the WNBA in the past few years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What a drag of a game....Sun play great defense but suck the offensive life out of game as of late. Horrible last possession for Connecticut, why on earth they'd set up a play for Bonner (1-9 FG) is beyond me. Bonner can be a dynamic player but she's always been largely inefficient and struggles hitting shots. Thomas is a beast and Jones can be all-world but too often disappears.

Vegas turned into a 2 woman team, Wilson and Gray were outstanding today. No show from Plum, Young was okay but missed a lot of good looks. Nothing from Stokes/Williams. Hope both teams are a little more productive offensively in game 2.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Key play was the jump ball between Jonquel Jones and Plum with the Aces up by 1. Instead of just gaining possession Jones decided to get cute and try for some sort of pass for a basket. Just not smart basketball in the 4th quarter of the finals.

The game was there for the taking, holding the Aces to 67 points and Plum and Williams combining to go 2-15. If the remaining games are played like this one the Sun will have a chance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a drag of a game....Sun play great defense but suck the offensive life out of game as of late. Horrible last possession for Connecticut, why on earth they'd set up a play for Bonner (1-9 FG) is beyond me. Bonner can be a dynamic player but she's always been largely inefficient and struggles hitting shots. Thomas is a beast and Jones can be all-world but too often disappears.

Vegas turned into a 2 woman team, Wilson and Gray were outstanding today. No show from Plum, Young was okay but missed a lot of good looks. Nothing from Stokes/Williams. Hope both teams are a little more productive offensively in game 2.
Gray was good but by her standards far from great (6TO's) although she did hit the shots to give them just enough breathing room in the 4th Q. Wilson played like an MVP should. Thomas was dynamic but I wish she had some working shoulders.

Reaction Score
Gray was good but by her standards far from great (6TO's) although she did hit the shots to give them just enough breathing room in the 4th Q. Wilson played like an MVP should. Thomas was dynamic but I wish she had some working shoulders.
I too wish Thomas had gotten shoulder surgery
Oprah Winfrey No GIF

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Aces got a couple shot clock violations due to her passing up shots too. She and Plum have to step it up, Gray is going to get worn out from carrying a heavy load.

Wilson was dynamite on both ends! She was a great player in college, but I did not foresee her being such a great player at this level. She doesn't have generation skills of a Griner, Delle Donne or Stewart, but she has worked her butt off and turned into one of the best players in the world, if not the best right now.

Reaction Score
Pretty even game. The MVP took control on both ends. All 5 games will again prove that defense wins Championships.

Reaction Score
Wow. Connecticut found a way to hang around and darn near pulled off a huge win. Vegas, even with Kelsey Plum struggling, still got enough options out there. Wilson was just a beast out there. Chelsea Gray. What more needs to be said about this rising star that hasn't been said already? Wow. This is going to be another solid series.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I too wish Thomas had gotten shoulder surgery
Oprah Winfrey No GIF
I do not know the medical back story. Are her labrum issues correctable with surgery? If so, why has she not had the surgery?

Reaction Score
I do not know the medical back story. Are her labrum issues correctable with surgery? If so, why has she not had the surgery?
I believe so. I'm not sure why she hasn't had the surgery.

Reaction Score
in
Nobody will ever convince me that 19 FT's for one team to 5 for the other is warranted in a professional game. One of the things that just turns me off to the WNBA in the past few years.
The biggest difference is mostly one player. Wilson attacks the rim and was often surrounded by 2-4 players when driving to the basket. She consistently put herself in a position to get fouled when contested and that was the difference.

Honestly you can even make a case on at least 3 more possessions that went uncalled when she drove and the Sun never really adjusted for her. If Jonquel had same fire as Wilson and embraced the contact she could find herself in that same position as well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hmm...for all the talk about Connecticut having a much deeper bench, Sun got 38 minutes from 3 reserves, Aces got 34 minutes from 3 reserves. Looks like about a wash to me. If it's bench production, that's something else, but I think the heart of the matter is just getting some other players on the floor so the starters don't have to play nearly the whole game. Hamby showed a few minutes of looking like her actual self. If they can get her back up to speed during this series, that supposed big bench advantage might end up being a non factor.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The biggest difference is mostly one player. Wilson attacks the rim and was often surrounded by 2-4 players when driving to the basket. She consistently put herself in a position to get fouled when contested and that was the difference.

Honestly you can even make a case on at least 3 more possessions that went uncalled when she drove and the Sun never really adjusted for her. If Jonquel had same fire as Wilson and embraced the contact she could find herself in that same position as well.

Wilson fouls ALL the time. Moving screens and over the back and never gets called for them. The superstar treatment is WAY over the top. Even the NBA isn't that bad.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

This 100%. I think Jones has more talent than Wilson with her ability to handle and operate on the perimeter but Wilson is just a workhorse and wears you down and is the better player as of right now. Jones has a tendency to be passive and disappear. With her talent she (or Thomas) should be demanding the ball in crunch time rather than letting shots go to a player like Bonner.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The problem with Bonner is that she takes too dam long to make a move. She always holds it while time runs down, and by then she can't get free for a good shot. I knew it would happen. She has always done this ever since she came to Conn, not the player to get the last shot. Should have brought in Carrington, someone who always make something happen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From what I recall hearing during games, the recovery time would make it impossible to compete overseas. I guess she's made a business decision to make what she can now and deal with it later.
She was out for the better part of a year with the Achilles tear. Total recovery for the labrum is around 6 months for mere mortals like me, probably less for AT. She could probably have the three surgeries a total of 2-3 months apart. Would it be difficult, of course.

I'm trying to remember how long it was after I'd had the shoulder repair before I could run. I think it was about a month, but it may have been closer to two. I don't know when Alyssa would have been able to run, nor whether a schedule such as mine would affect the rehab of her Achilles. I'm sure she considered it and decided against it, but I was really hoping she'd go for at least one shoulder when she hurt her heel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom