WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 61 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewie and Ionescu didn't need to do more than they did when JJ was feeling it early [if she starts getting double doubles on the regular, the league is in trouble] and Laney had her best offensive game of the season. Laney has proven she can hit the wide open 3s at a decent clip, but I like that both she and her teammates found most of her looks near the rim, where she is often too strong for smaller defenders.
Except the Aces. :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kind of hard to judge Quinn this season when she was left with Loyd and pretty much nothing else. This was obviously a rebuilding year for Seattle and I at least appreciate that they are giving their rookies plenty of time to get reps in.

You can judge the job she did last year, but I think Vegas was just...better.
I get your point, but Ezi was selected for the All Star Game. 2 All Stars is something more than nothing.

Reaction Score
Quinn was the assistant, and Kloppenburg was the acting head coach during the championship year.
Don't know whether he was offered the job or not. But that was Quinn's first year as a coach, and that shouldn't have qualified her for the job.
They should have done a job search to find someone who had experience as a head coach.
Not sure what happened. All I know is, Coach Quinn had the blessing & support of Coach Hughes. We will see what happens after this season. I look at my Minnesota Lynx and we all know that Coach Reeve has a ton of experience but without that high level of talent, no level of coaching experience will help get wins.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not sure what happened. All I know is, Coach Quinn had the blessing & support of Coach Hughes. We will see what happens after this season. I look at my Minnesota Lynx and we all know that Coach Reeve has a ton of experience but without that high level of talent, no level of coaching experience will help get wins.

Cheryl's coaching record is about .500 in games when Maya Moore is not playing. It's .735 when Maya was in the lineup. Minnesota was not an elite team until Maya arrived and other personnel got healthy.

Edited to revise the Maya years from .700 to .735.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Cheryl's coaching record is about .500 in games when Maya Moore is not playing. It's close to .700 when Maya was in the lineup. Minnesota was not an elite team until Maya arrived and other personnel got healthy.
That stat is wild. I wonder if there's any other current or future HOFer who's had such an impact on her team's win/loss ratio. Maybe Candice Parker and the Sparks?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That stat is wild. I wonder if there's any other current or future HOFer who's had such an impact on her team's win/loss ratio. Maybe Candice Parker and the Sparks?

L.A. underachieved for years, so I doubt it.

Maya was the ultimate winner. Her 2018 final season stands out as an anomaly. With her in the lineup, they went:

27-7
27-7
26-8
25-9
22-12
28-6
27-7
18-16

Since Maya stepped away, they have gone:

18-16
14-8
22-10
14-22
10-13

The year before Maya arrived, they were 13-21.

If my math is correct, that's 200-72 for .735 with Maya and 91-90 for .503 without her.

Their 2 best years without Maya were 2020 and 2021, when they had Crystal Dangerfield, interestingly.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This is not to take away anything from Maya, but it should be noted her last season with MN (2018) was also the last season for Whalen and Brunson, and Seimone's last full season in the league (and last as a true scoring threat]. One of the best starting lineups ever put together [perhaps until...the Aces].

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Parker is (by far) the starter the Aces could most afford to lose, as Stokes is a tremendous defensive presence (and doesn't need to provide offense with everyone around her).

But that leaves Vegas only six deep (Alysha Clark is a stud coming off bench). If you can get Wilson in foul trouble...

Reaction Score
Cheryl's coaching record is about .500 in games when Maya Moore is not playing. It's .735 when Maya was in the lineup. Minnesota was not an elite team until Maya arrived and other personnel got healthy.

Edited to revise the Maya years from .700 to .735.
Maya helped greatly. I think having Maya on the floor, especially in our first title year, allowed players like Augustus, Brunson, and McWilliams-Franklin that freedom to just play basketball, especially a player like Augustus. Having Maya allowed Augustus and her game to shine even brighter, which made Coach Reeve look even better. Folks forget that Reeve was in her 2nd year when the Lynx won their first ttile.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched the 2nd half of the Aces game. The 3 just isn't there for Plum this year, but she can pretty much score whenever she wants when she drives.

Copper had a huge game, but it wasn't enough

Clark got clobbered below the eye and left the game. LV officially has NO bench at the moment.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu had a triple double today. Storm led most of the game but couldn't finish it off.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
How many teams have 2 players shooting 90% from the charity stripe? The Aces have such a duo.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The Sky actually got Wilson into a bit of foul trouble, and she sat most of the 3rd quarter. But they still couldn't stop them on defense. Young, Plum, Gray are just too good.

It's absurd that the Aces currently have FOUR starters all shooting at least 50% from the field.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Canada hit a game winning 3 with about 4 seconds left. I was thinking the Sparks might not win another game, but I was wrong. Canada had 20/10, Nneka scored 30.

Reaction Score
Indiana seems vastly improved from a season ago. They’ve played the Aces within single digits (4 and 8 points) in 2 of their 3 matchups so far. That’s better than most teams have faired. Boston is a lot better than I thought she’d be given the increased physicality and decrease in calls she gets in the W. I’m sure in a year or two she’ll be in the league MVP conversation. That said, Indiana HAS to close out those close games. Too many missed chances.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes had a typical stat line: 6/17/2/1. 17 boards! Despite her offensive limitations and playing 31 minutes, she didn't hold the Aces back, as they scored 107, going over 50 in each half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom