Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

Reaction Score
Nice D1Baseball feature article heading into the weekend:

->Hosting isn’t something Penders would ever talk about with his team, but it’s something he thinks it would make a lot of people proud.

“I think it would mean a lot to everybody who’s been a part of this program build, over not just the last decade plus, but the last 100 years,” Penders said. “I think it’d mean an awful lot to the state of Connecticut. I know that people would turn out in droves and they wouldn’t have to be watching on televisions at bars at two in the morning to see what we’re doing in Stanford. They can actually see us in person in their own timezone and right down the street.” <-

Reaction Score
That is the way the seeding works out for super regionals however, my opinion is still that hosting would be best regardless of the alignment for supers. Hosting gives the best chance of at least advancing to super regionals and I think you worry about the super regional matchup when you get there. Long term, hosting a regional is a boost for the fan base and profile of the team locally as well.

At some point the goal has to be Omaha, even Coach has said this

And when you have a window where the lineup at least is fully capable, I would be looking for the easiest route to get there

And while I get the excitement, respect and recruiting aspect from hosting a regional, a trip to the college WS would do much more in that regard for all those things

Reaction Score

And when you have a window where the lineup at least is fully capable, I would be looking for the easiest route to get there

And while I get the excitement, respect and recruiting aspect from hosting a regional, a trip to the college WS would do much more in that regard for all those things
Agreed on the goal. I think I just disagree that being a #2 or 3 seed provides a better path to Omaha than being a low seeded host.

Reaction Score

Can't get to Omaha if you don't win a regional. And wining a regional has to be easier at home and as a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Can't get to Omaha if you don't win a regional. And wining a regional has to be easier at home and as a #1 seed.

When you are set up to play the one seed if you squeak in hosting at 16, your chances are very small to get there. Major upset small. If ones goal is just to host a regional, good for you.

Reaction Score
When you are set up to play the one seed if you squeak in hosting at 16, your chances are very small to get there. Major upset small. If ones goal is just to host a regional, good for you.
Considering that the last 3 tournaments have all featured the number 1 seed losing at home in super regionals I think it is a higher chance of upset than you are giving credit for.

Reaction Score
Considering that the last 3 tournaments have all featured the number 1 seed losing at home in super regionals I think it is a higher chance of upset than you are giving credit for.

Have you seen our starting pitching?

If we had even one starter we could count on, I might entertain those dreams. But asking them to shut down the top ranked team in the country at their place is too much wishful thinking for me.

Reaction Score
Have you seen our starting pitching?

If we had even one starter we could count on, I might entertain those dreams. But asking them to shut down the top ranked team in the country at their place is too much wishful thinking for me.
Last year Tennessee lost at home in super regionals despite scoring 21 runs in 3 games. In 2021 Arkansas scored 21 runs in game 1 and lost super regionals at home. There are more ways to win a super regional than by shutting down a team with dominant starting pitching. Sure, having great starting pitching makes things a LOT easier in that regard but there are other ways to do it and history has shown there is a very real chance of that happening.

Reactions: DGB
Reaction Score
Last year Tennessee lost at home in super regionals despite scoring 21 runs in 3 games. In 2021 Arkansas scored 21 runs in game 1 and lost super regionals at home. There are more ways to win a super regional than by shutting down a team with dominant starting pitching. Sure, having great starting pitching makes things a LOT easier in that regard but there are other ways to do it and history has shown there is a very real chance of that happening.

What you just said was their pitching was worse than the teams they lost to

Baseball is a pitching dominant sport, that is undisputed. Good pitching tops good hitting. And good pitching is what allows underdogs to beat better teams in short series. That seriously lowers our odds since pitching is our weakness

Reaction Score
What you just said was their pitching was worse than the teams they lost to

Baseball is a pitching dominant sport, that is undisputed. Good pitching tops good hitting. And good pitching is what allows underdogs to beat better teams in short series. That seriously lowers our odds since pitching is our weakness
Your posts in this thread are truly bizarre. Everything you're saying is just showing over and over again why it would be better to end up hosting a regional. Take your defeatist attitude somewhere else

Reaction Score
Your posts in this thread are truly bizarre. Everything you're saying is just showing over and over again why it would be better to end up hosting a regional. Take your defeatist attitude somewhere else

You are so far off having a clue yet so happy to show it.

Hoping to play weaker teams to have a better path to the ultimate goal is bizarre? Just about everyone with a brain wants that with their team in any sport. My posts say if your goal is a regional go for it, it's irrelevant to my goal

You also need to find a life, you post here constantly 24/7.

Reaction Score
Got it. Anyone who disagrees with you is a wimp, or not ambitious enough. Very helpful.

Reaction Score
You are so far off having a clue yet so happy to show it.

Hoping to play weaker teams to have a better path to the ultimate goal is bizarre? Just about everyone with a brain wants that with their team in any sport. My posts say if your goal is a regional go for it, it's irrelevant to my goal

You also need to find a life, you post here constantly 24/7.
But it's not a one for one trade-off, hoping to play weaker teams in a vacuum is a fine strategy. But playing a weaker team in the super regionals means playing stronger teams in the regional

Reaction Score
But it's not a one for one trade-off, hoping to play weaker teams in a vacuum is a fine strategy. But playing a weaker team in the super regionals means playing stronger teams in the regional

I get that, but the difference isn't as great as a super regional would be, if it of course holds chalk.

Just looking at odds here. Yes anything can and does happen. I would like to see what this program could do with a WS appearance. We can take it to a whole other level, so I want to see us have as doable path as possible

Reaction Score
I don't know where you got that, I basically said we agree to disagree and why
All of this will be moot if we don’t get our starting pitching figured out. Speaking for myself only, it does not inspire confidence in me.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t pretty, but we got a victory last night. Need 2 more this weekend.

Fogell was a warrior yesterday, what a gutty performance. Also Love the at bat from Ryan Daniels, my fellow St. Paul grad. Very happy with his overall performance this year as a freshman, he is going to be a good one for us.

Go Huskies !!!

12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
12 - 3/ .800....... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East

6 - 2 / .750......... 7 - 2 / .770- New England
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 37 - 11/ .771% ..... 42 - 16 / .724
(2) 17. .... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
13 - 3/ .812 ...... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East

6 - 2 / .750......... 7 - 2 / .770- New England
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 38 - 11/ .776% ..... 42 - 16 / .724
(2) 16 .... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
Casual baseball fan here.... what are the current expectations regarding getting a tournament bid , and also hosting games if we get a bid?

Reaction Score
Casual baseball fan here.... what are the current expectations regarding getting a tournament bid , and also hosting games if we get a bid?
We’re ranked as high as 9th in various rankings and sit 16th in the RPI. Barring a total collapse, we’re in the tourney. IIRC, they pick the host sites before the conference tourneys. If we win our last 5 games before that, I expect to host. 4-1 could go either way.

Reaction Score
We’re ranked as high as 9th in various rankings and sit 16th in the RPI. Barring a total collapse, we’re in the tourney. IIRC, they pick the host sites before the conference tourneys. If we win our last 5 games before that, I expect to host. 4-1 could go either way.

I would agree, but last year's team ending up on the 3 line has me nervous. They were 46-13 entering the tournament, and this year's team will be right around there. I think this year has a better non-conference resume which should help, but there's a worry that the committee just has little respect for the Big East.

Reaction Score
I would agree, but last year's team ending up on the 3 line has me nervous. They were 46-13 entering the tournament, and this year's team will be right around there. I think this year has a better non-conference resume which should help, but there's a worry that the committee just has little respect for the Big East.

They shouldn’t have respect for the Big East. It’s not a good baseball conference. That having been said, our OOC strength of schedule is much stronger than it was last year, as is our RPI and our ratings in the polls.

Reaction Score
I think the hosts are picked after conference tournaments. I know they announce them the night before the rest of the selections and I believe that is the decision time as well. I could be wrong but I believe the early host selection was some sort of COVID precaution

Reaction Score
They shouldn’t have respect for the Big East. It’s not a good baseball conference. That having been said, our OOC strength of schedule is much stronger than it was last year, as is our RPI and our ratings in the polls.
I'm not sure how much the polls really matter (Notre Dame was ranked 11th going into last year's tournament and ended up being a 2 hosted by a team ranked 24th going into the tournament; Texas State was 14th and ended up in the #2 national seed's regional), but the non-conference SOS should help and hopefully the RPI stays high.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom