Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

Reaction Score
Checked out the predicted RPI on the Warren Nolan site this morning. They had us at 13 and BC at 49. Was a little surprised by the BC number.
This would help our case in hosting. That could mean a UConn, BC, Northeastern regional. That would be a lot of fun, and not an easy bracket.
Nothing we can do except to keep on winning, and see where we stand when the dust settles. But it is fun to speculate.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Not going to host and really don't deserve to after such a terrible showing this weekend. Probably need to sweep next weekend to win the conference at this point. Not feeling great about that either but time will tell.

Reaction Score
Not going to host
The weekend series vs Butler would pretty much seals your comment as fact. Sad as I was getting hyped to see it happen. A win over Rhody and a sweep of Creighton will do little to help. Oops just saw the RI game canceled as was the LIU to save RPI. Creighton at 240 is not going to help much. :( :mad:

Reaction Score
The weekend series vs Butler would pretty much seals your comment as fact. Sad as I was getting hyped to see it happen. A win over Rhody and a sweep of Creighton will do little to help. Oops just saw the RI game canceled as was the LIU to save RPI. Creighton at 240 is not going to help much. :( :mad:
Creighton is 136 RPI not 240

Reaction Score
12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
13 - 4/ .765 ...... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East
6 - 2 / .750......... 6 - 2 / .750. New England

0 - 0 / .000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 38 - 12/ .760% ..... 41 - 16 / .719
(2) 25 .... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
Weird weekend series with Butler. We had an opportunity to sweep series, but could have just as easily lost all 3.

With all the talk of possibility of hosting a regional, it made yesterday’s loss a real disappointment. But we still have not lost a series all year.

Still holding out hope that if we sweep Creighton and win Big East tournament, we may get to host.

Updated chart in last post. Took into account postponed game with URI. I believe chart is all Green for the first time this year.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
This trend across college baseball of cancelling games last minute to navigate RPI is wrong and needs to be addressed.
I agree. I and others have critized other teams from the SEC and other conferences from cancelling games to save their RPI. I was disappointed to see UConn request the cancellation with LIU. I understand why it was done but it is still not the right thing to do in terms of keeping your commitments.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. I and others have critized other teams from the SEC and other conferences from cancelling games to save their RPI. I was disappointed to see UConn request the cancellation with LIU. I understand why it was done but it is still not the right thing to do in terms of keeping your commitments.
It was done by consent. If LIU wanted to play the game, we would have. It's not like UConn just called them and said that they were out of luck.

I do think that the way RPI is impacted by low seeded teams at the end of the regular season is inconsistent with its intention. RPI is intended as a methodology for assigning value to wins and losses. If you play all low ranked teams, it makes sense that an otherwise deceptively high winning percentage be discounted. Late in the season, however, playing and beating low ranked teams actually serves to discount the rest of your schedule. That is an unintended result. You can certainly argue that if a team wants to avoid that result they should simply schedule stronger teams, however, given that games are scheduled years ahead and baseball rankings can be somewhat volatile that's harder to do in practice than it is in theory.

The solution, it seems to me, would be to allow a team to designate a certain number of games on their schedule as "non-countable" in their record for that year. The results, both wins and losses, wouldn't be included in the records for postseason consideration purposes and a, correspondingly, would not be used in determining the teams strength of schedule for RPI purposes. To prevent excessive gamesmanship that designation would need to be prior to the games being played. I'm just spit balling here, but that feels as if it might be a reasonable solution. Of course, for teams with stronger conference schedules, it may not be perceived as a significant issue.

Reaction Score
It was done by consent. If LIU wanted to play the game, we would have. It's not like UConn just called them and said that they were out of luck.

I do think that the way RPI is impacted by low seeded teams at the end of the regular season is inconsistent with its intention. RPI is intended as a methodology for assigning value to wins and losses. If you play all low ranked teams, it makes sense that an otherwise deceptively high winning percentage be discounted. Late in the season, however, playing and beating low ranked teams actually serves to discount the rest of your schedule. That is an unintended result. You can certainly argue that if a team wants to avoid that result they should simply schedule stronger teams, however, given that games are scheduled years ahead and baseball rankings can be somewhat volatile that's harder to do in practice than it is in theory.

The solution, it seems to me, would be to allow a team to designate a certain number of games on their schedule as "non-countable" in their record for that year. The results, both wins and losses, wouldn't be included in the records for postseason consideration purposes and a, correspondingly, would not be used in determining the teams strength of schedule for RPI purposes. To prevent excessive gamesmanship that designation would need to be prior to the games being played. I'm just spit balling here, but that feels as if it might be a reasonable solution. Of course, for teams with stronger conference schedules, it may not be perceived as a significant issue.

The RPI is what it is. It is a great tool. It should not, however, be overly relied upon by the Committee. Record against Tier 1, and Tier 1 and 2, have to be used in conjunction with RPI. If Colgate has a low RPI because of its schedule, but dominated crap opposition and, say, went 3-1, 8-2 in OOC play versus Tier 1 and Tier 2 opponents, the fact that you dominated quality opponents when you played them, as well as dominating flotsam and jetson, should not be diminished merely by a horrid SOS.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Once the SEC stops, we should stop.

Until then, I see no reason to give SEC schools an advantage when we are trying to win a championship, too.

Reaction Score
To me, northern teams need to get special credit for flying all over the country and playing strictly on the road for a month every season beyond the usual road formula in the RPI

You just know if the situation was reversed, they'd already have some formula to boost the numbers for southern and western schools

Reaction Score
To me, northern teams need to get special credit for flying all over the country and playing strictly on the road for a month every season beyond the usual road formula in the RPI

You just know if the situation was reversed, they'd already have some formula to boost the numbers for southern and western schools

Case in point - only 13 away games. And im sure those weren't far in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Case in point - only 13 away games. And im sure those weren't far in the SEC.

It gets even more absurd when you think about not even being able to practice outside before jumping right into the schedule. Professionals play practice games outdoors for a month before their season starts.

I'm amazed Northern schools haven't pushed back on being judged on an even playing field and let this go on. They need to band together and even offer up something that evens this stuff out

Reaction Score

-> Guest: Did UConn lose their chance to host a regional after dropping a game to Butler Sunday?

Kendall Rogers: Probably. It won’t get an RPI boost against Creighton, and that would put UCONN in a position where it cannot slip up at all in the BIG EAST tournament. Run the table and it’s possible … but that’s a lot to task for this time of year. Right now, the RPI is right on the border for hosting at 25. <-

-> Finebaum: What east coast team(s) would you be really worried about having in your region as a 2-3 seed? North Carolina and UCONN come to mind.

Aaron Fitt: Those are good ones. Campbell for sure. Northeastern feels like a legit super regional contender too. <-

Reaction Score

Ice hockey already does something like this which the baseball committee can just do as well.

Which is, simply put: games that a team wins that have a negative impact on their RPI are simply ignored.

Reaction Score
This trend across college baseball of cancelling games last minute to navigate RPI is wrong and needs to be addressed.
Yet another issue with RPI. It is a pretty nonsensical number where you lose by winning and win by losing. It’s better to not play than to play. Look I get that you are trying to compare apples and oranges and tangerines at times. There is no way a NBE schedule. can be equated to an SEC or ACC one for example. But really, record, “eye test” all should enter into the evaluation.

Reaction Score
The other issue is that baseball more than other sports tends to lend itself to “streaks”. I’m not talking 10 game winning streaks, though those happen. But even good teams may go through a five or six game stretch where they go 2-4 or worse so if you get them then it looks for all the world like you are better than you are. And often bad teams put together good streaks over a 50-60 game season. Sometime Cooney, Blake AND Casey are all hitting the ball, even on bad teams. You get them then and a good team appears worse in perspective. Add to that that it’s baseball so you are going to lose 25-30% of your games most years. That is why baseball tournaments are not 1-done.

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut

The Huskies scuffled a bit with Butler over the weekend, losing one game to Butler. As a result, their RPI dropped eight spots to 25, which puts them right on the bubble to hosting a regional. UConn is 16-6 on the road, but some other metrics are light, such as being just 3-3 vs. RPI Top 50. I think UConn is a club that passes the eyeball test in a big way, but the metrics are the metrics, and I think they’re playing from behind with other host contenders at this point. <-

Reaction Score
The other issue is that baseball more than other sports tends to lend itself to “streaks”. I’m not talking 10 game winning streaks, though those happen. But even good teams may go through a five or six game stretch where they go 2-4 or worse so if you get them then it looks for all the world like you are better than you are. And often bad teams put together good streaks over a 50-60 game season. Sometime Cooney, Blake AND Casey are all hitting the ball, even on bad teams. You get them then and a good team appears worse in perspective. Add to that that it’s baseball so you are going to lose 25-30% of your games most years. That is why baseball tournaments are not 1-done.

As has been said before, it will happen on occasion, but it is tough in baseball on any level to come up with a 3 game sweep of a series in baseball.

Mentioned before that this UConn team is probably the best defensive team in the field since I started following the team, and that is probably the case with base running in general as well. While this team in the field will commit errors on occasion, it generally doesn't lead to throwing the ball away all over the place.

While this team has the above mentioned strengths plus a rather potent offense, the starting pitching runs in the other direction, as it is probably has been as shaky as I've seen it in any season. The odd thing about it is that all the starters have shown occasional flashes of being really good pitchers (Cooke more so last season), but they certainly are not consistent about it. That is certainly different for UConn baseball, since usually year in and year out the weekend starting pitching has been one of the main strengths of UConn baseball teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom