Men - Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid

Reaction Score
I stated that I would not post till this evening, because of time constraints. But it was to cold for me to play golf this morning, and I also wanted to change the Mojo after yesterdays loss. Below is my research findings for the second chart named "Something More Aggressive".

(1) From 2017 -2021 there were 9 Non power conference teams that hosted a regional.

(2) Their win range was from 37 - 48 wins, with average being 44 wins.

(3) Their RPI range was from 6 - 29Th, with average being 16

(4) Their Poll ranking range was from 9 - 20th, with average being 14.

I believe we may benefit from being a Northeast team, with a brand new beautiful facility. I am thinking the NCAA would like to spread out the tournament if at all possible and if we are deserving. I still believe we will have a problem with our RPI, only because of our competition. So we need to continue to win a high percentage of our games. With this in mind, you will see that my win total goal is higher then the average above. While the Poll ranking and RPI are lower.

As I always say, this chart is by NO means perfect. But I do believe it will gives us an idea if we are on track to host a regional. Lets win the weekend this afternoon.

Go Huskies !!!

Something More Aggressive

current
goal

(1) 16 - 5 / .762 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 35 ....... < 30 RPI
(3) 25 ........ < 20 poll

Reaction Score
We win another weekend series. We outscore Rhode Island 25 - 9, but we lose the middle game. Usually winning any weekend 2 of 3 is a considered a success. But this weekend was a bit disappointing, that we did not sweep. Even by winning 2 of 3 , our RPI fell from 20 to 44. Lets just keep winning and things will take care of themselves.

Go Huskies !!!
current record........... season goal
13- 4 / .765% ........ 11 - 10 / .524% - Out of Conference
4 - 1 / .800 ......... 11 - 3 / .785 - New England

0 - 0 / .000 ......... 15 - 6 / .714 - Big East regular season
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 3 - 2 / .600 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 17 - 5 / .773 ...... 40 - 21 / .655
(2) 44 ....... < 50 RPI

(3) Not yet applicable ........ Top 2 Big East

current goal

(1) 17 - 5 / .773 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 44 ....... < 30 RPI

Reaction Score
Yikes that RPI took a haymaker after the URI loss as it should. I know Penders wanted to be nice but that is not a talented team at all and injuries further exacerbate an already challenged team.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yikes that RPI took a haymaker after the URI loss as it should. I know Penders wanted to be nice but that is not a talented team at all and injuries further exacerbate an already challenged team.
I watched the Friday game. URI has some good talent- but they literally fielded 6 freshman. In 2 years, they will be scary good if they get pitching. As for today, Saturday was a bad loss. It's baseball and it does happen.

Reaction Score

I watched the Friday game. URI has some good talent- but they literally fielded 6 freshman. In 2 years, they will be scary good if they get pitching. As for today, Saturday was a bad loss. It's baseball and it does happen.

Chris Jones said during this weekends broadcasts that among others, URI's 3 and 4 hitters, and their number 1 starter are injured and currently not playing. One thing Penders mentioned during the post game interview today is that URI could improve quite a bit later in the season if they get their injured players back.

URI usually does have a solid team year in and year out, just not this year at least so far. A 200+ RPI is a big abnormality for the Rams.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Barrett, Valdez, Aponte, Chico Walker, Bowen, a lot made it. My best year was .304 in the eastern League AA
Looks like you crossed paths with Gene Gentile in Bristol. He's still in CT. I worked with him for a couple a years in the same department. Super nice guy.

Reaction Score
Looks like you crossed paths with Gene Gentile in Bristol. He's still in CT. I worked with him for a couple a years in the same department. Super nice guy.
Yes Geno is a great guy. He actually worked for me for a while.

Reaction Score
If URI has talented young players, it’ll be interesting to see if they stick around with the new transfer portal rules.

I am an agent for a top 75 RPI D1 baseball head coach and the concern is that schools like his will become “the minor leagues” for top P5 schools.

With kids leaving after a year or two to go to better baseball schools

Reaction Score
I think we have seen the transfer portal show up in that way across all sports, unfortunately, baseball is not immune.

Reaction Score
If URI has talented young players, it’ll be interesting to see if they stick around with the new transfer portal rules.

I am an agent for a top 75 RPI D1 baseball head coach and the concern is that schools like his will become “the minor leagues” for top P5 schools.

With kids leaving after a year or two to go to better baseball schools
I think we have seen the transfer portal show up in that way across all sports, unfortunately, baseball is not immune.
I really don’t want to derail @ucjoet ’s thread but wanted to share this article from Gavin Keefe @ The Day from this past Saturday. UConn Baseball has readily adapted to the new reality and has been taking advantage of the Transfer Portal..

-> "I think seven of the nine starters today are transfers of some sort, whether junior college, four-year college or grad student transfers," coach Jim Penders said on Saturday. "And they've had an immense impact. They've got a real presence in the lineup."

Penders and his coaching staff do their homework when it comes to recruiting transfers. They look at far more than just statistics. A player has to be the right fit for the program, especially a graduate transfer that usually has only one year of eligibility remaining. <-

Reaction Score
I really don’t want to derail @ucjoet ’s thread but wanted to share this article from Gavin Keefe @ The Day from this past Saturday. UConn Baseball has readily adapted to the new reality and has been taking advantage of the Transfer Portal..

-> "I think seven of the nine starters today are transfers of some sort, whether junior college, four-year college or grad student transfers," coach Jim Penders said on Saturday. "And they've had an immense impact. They've got a real presence in the lineup."

Penders and his coaching staff do their homework when it comes to recruiting transfers. They look at far more than just statistics. A player has to be the right fit for the program, especially a graduate transfer that usually has only one year of eligibility remaining. <-

Finally had a chance to read this article. Very good stuff. One thing that probably helps in terms of cohesion within the program is that with the position players mentioned, only 2 of the starters who are transfers are new to the program as of this season. The rest of the starting transfers have been with the program for a couple of seasons, including David Smith and Matt Donlan who had to sit out last season as redshirts.

Gavin Keefe does the occasional article on UConn baseball and local summer college baseball teams. When he does these articles, they are usually pretty good.

Reaction Score
We are still undefeated in Friday games. Our pitching has been good (for the most part) the last four games. But since our 19 run game vs URI, we have only scored 13 runs in last 4 games. In Chris Jones interview with Coach Penders, you could tell he was not happy with our overall at bats. To many pop outs, and fly outs. Need to get back to hitting for line drives, instead of for the fences.

We are in what I would call a mini slump, being 4-3 in our last 7. Need to string a few wins in a row to get back on track. Lets win the series today ( love saying that on a Saturday morning).

Go Huskies !!!

14- 4 / .778% ........ 11 - 10 / .524% - Out of Conference
4 - 2 / .667 ......... 11 - 3 / .785 - New England

Post season Criteria
(1) 18 - 6 / .750 ...... 40 - 21 / .655
(2) 48 ....... < 50 RPI

current goal

(1) 18 - 6 / .750 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 48 ....... < 30 RPI

Reaction Score
Another weekend series won. We are now 8-2 in 1 run , 2 run or extra innings games. As @dbmill stated we have a pretty busy schedule coming up. We have 12 games over next 16 days, and 16 games over next 21 days. The average RPI of teams we play over next 21 days is 168, ranging from 85 -240. It goes without saying, we need to keep winning at a high rate. I figure we need to go 13 - 3 or better over next 16 games, to get our "Something More Aggressive" chart to turn Green.

Lets start with a win tomorrow.

Go Huskies !!!

15- 4 / .789% ........ 11 - 10 / .524% - Out of Conference
4 - 2 / .667 ......... 11 - 3 / .785 - New England

Post season Criteria
(1) 19 - 6 / .760 ...... 40 - 21 / .655
(2) 43 ....... < 50 RPI

current record ......................season goal

(1) 19 - 6 / .760 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 43 ....... < 30 RPI

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
What's weird is we are 19-6 and I feel like we blew at least 4 games and while getting the win, haven't played to our potential on some of those wins. I must have high expectations.

Reaction Score
What's weird is we are 19-6 and I feel like we blew at least 4 games and while getting the win, haven't played to our potential on some of those wins. I must have high expectations.
I totally agree. We are off to our best start in years, but I keep thinking we should have a few more wins. Every time we lose a game, I believe the sky is falling. Like someone posted before, even the Babe Ruth Yankees lost 30% of their games.

I am going to try to have more realistic expectations for rest of year, but it will be difficult.

Go Huskies!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom