Why i bought a big screen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why i bought a big screen

Reaction Score
LOL!!! OK since it's OT, here are my 2cts:

1. If you really want a real big screen then a good projection system will do. But, after setting a projector and audio in my basement, the family wants to watch in the LR. Too cold in the basement, not close to the kitchen etc..
2. If you want a big screen then notice the difference between 70, 75 and 80" TVs. Although the increase is 5" the screen size is not linear, i.e. 80" is much bigger than 75". Go to BB or Costco and see the difference. We settled for a 80" LED for the last 4 years.
3. 1080p vs 4k vs 4k and HDR. Although you can get Amazon and Netflix 4k video streaming on certain programs, Xfinity is still 1080i plus all the useless SD programming. Of course all UConn games are 1080i at best either SNY or comcast.
4. If you like using your computer for streaming and other things, then get a 40-43" 4k TV as monitor. Those smart TV can get you Netflix and Amazon 4k in addition to big screen for tired eyes.
5. Right now the prices are really great!!! So go and enjoy!!!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
"JordyG, post: 2012401, member: 6819"]The other weakness is the LG's 4K upconversion technology isn't as good as Sony's, which is the best ever, or Samsung's. This means in dark scenes on broadcast 1080p TV and movies there will be more noticeable artifacts. These artifacts are nearly eliminated on Sony's sets, less so on Samsung's. Artifacts are not noticeable on HDR, blu-ray, or 4K material."

Thanks, that answered a lot of my questions. The BB guy said the burn in has been mostly resolved with the '16s (which are the ones on sale) - artifacts?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for your honesty. I was always curious as to "how long are these TV's suppose to last these days. Remember the old "floor model" or 13" tjat last 20-30 yrs. He havent gotten to the point of figuring out life expectancy of these new flat screens.
I have a 5yr old 47" Vizio Smart TV and a 4yr old 60" Vizio Smart TV... and just sitting here waiting for them to crash and burn for some strange reason (knock on wood that they dont). I think cause they're so easy to replace (money-wise) and the options are there to replace. I do know a few people (older/elderly) that refuse to purchase a new TV because their old tube-tv is "getting the job done". I feel bad for these people cause they're missing out on some wonder pictures. Lets not talk about having a DVR to replace that old VCR an all of those VHS tapes piled up on top of the floor model TV. smh
We bought our new Vizio TV for the living room when we moved to AZ 6 years ago - still going strong. So is the smaller of our 3 TV's, now in my wife's studio but previously my Mother watched it when she was still living here in the den. It was our bed-room TV in NJ and is probably north of 10 years old.

OTH, our bedroom TV (which we rarely watch, but I use the attached DirecTV DVR to record games) has pretty much crapped out. Doesn't want to show a picture. The picture is great when it shows, it just doesn't usually. This was our living room TV in NJ and is likewise probably about 10 years old.

So I'm wondering if about 10 years is the life expectancy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for your honesty. I was always curious as to "how long are these TV's suppose to last these days. Remember the old "floor model" or 13" tjat last 20-30 yrs. He havent gotten to the point of figuring out life expectancy of these new flat screens.
I have a 5yr old 47" Vizio Smart TV and a 4yr old 60" Vizio Smart TV... and just sitting here waiting for them to crash and burn for some strange reason (knock on wood that they dont). I think cause they're so easy to replace (money-wise) and the options are there to replace. I do know a few people (older/elderly) that refuse to purchase a new TV because their old tube-tv is "getting the job done". I feel bad for these people cause they're missing out on some wonder pictures. Lets not talk about having a DVR to replace that old VCR an all of those VHS tapes piled up on top of the floor model TV. smh
I wouldn't worry too much about LCD based TV's. Those suckers are made to last. BUT, and it's a really no big secret, Sony's need a sledgehammer to kill. They just go forever. Another little secret. As I've said, brick and mortar stores have their TV's on all day, and 24 hour stores have them on, well, 24/7. This is actually a good way to watch for TV failure. Look around the edges. Do you see darkening or (in the case of Samsung's) bright blue discolorations? All edge lit TV's have some darkening around the edges. I'm talking a large amount, an inch or more. One TV I saw yesterday had a 4" boundary creeping from the bottom of red, green and orange extending across the entire width of the set. On a full white screen do you see irregular dark, colored or light areas? Bands? Columns? Go back next week and see if some issues which may have started small may be increasing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
How big is the difference between LED and LCD

JordyG

Reaction Score
We bought our new Vizio TV for the living room when we moved to AZ 6 years ago - still going strong. So is the smaller of our 3 TV's, now in my wife's studio but previously my Mother watched it when she was still living here in the den. It was our bed-room TV in NJ and is probably north of 10 years old.

OTH, our bedroom TV (which we rarely watch, but I use the attached DirecTV DVR to record games) has pretty much crapped out. Doesn't want to show a picture. The picture is great when it shows, it just doesn't usually. This was our living room TV in NJ and is likewise probably about 10 years old.

So I'm wondering if about 10 years is the life expectancy.
Manufacturers will tell you that the life expectancy of LCD's can be up to 25 years. I'm talking about the LCD itself, not the TV. The diodes will start to darken, brighten or fail. However some issues unrelated to the LCD may crop up such as lines, patterns etc. I've found that to be true for Sony's, less so for other brands. 10-15 is about right for most brands. Manufactures take into account the fact that people like to buy new TV's around every 7-10 years.

I'm just a hobbyist, and as I've said, I own an LG, but I'm a big fan of Sony because of their ingenuity, originality and longevity. Sony invented 4K. The whole Quantum Dot thing is really just an advancement of Sony's Triluminos idea. Sony had the first OLED. Sony was the first to cut their own glass panels. If you take a store rep aside and ask which maker has the less returns they'll tell you Sony. No, I've never worked for Sony, but they're hard to ignore. Anyone who has asked me I'll tell them the Sony 850D is the best bargain in TV's, and the new Z9, along with the LG OLED's, are the best TV's on the market for performance.

JordyG

Reaction Score
How big is the difference between LED and LCD
LED's are lights. They are long lasting and work well as a background light for the LCD to emit color. But LCD's are still shutters which open and close. There has to be some light leakage. OLED's emit their own light and color so there can be no leakage. Many LCD TV's still don't use LED's as a light source. LED's can be turned on and off individually where LCD TV's that don't use LED's have a constant, always on background light source. Lots of light leakage that way because LCD's by nature don't close all the way. For TV's that use LED's as a light source the number of zones or areas in which the manufactures cluster their LED's then becomes very important to get a good dynamic range or black levels. The better the dynamic range, the better colors pop no matter how bright the TV is, and the more detail flies off the screen.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
LED's are lights. They are long lasting and work well as a background light for the LCD to emit color. But LCD's are still shutters which open and close. There has to be some light leakage. OLED's emit their own light and color so there can be no leakage. Many LCD TV's still don't use LED's as a light source. LED's can be turned on and off individually where LCD TV's that don't use LED's have a constant, always on background light source. Lots of light leakage that way because LCD's by nature don't close all the way. For TV's that use LED's as a light source the number of zones or areas in which the manufactures cluster their LED's then becomes very important to get a good dynamic range or black levels. The better the dynamic range, the better colors pop no matter how bright the TV is, and the more detail flies off the screen.
Interesting, if complicated.

In spite of spending my career in the motion picture industry, my major was Chemistry. My senior research project in 1978 was with a theoretical physical chemist that studied computer models of liquid crystals - very primitive computer, I'll add - and I worked / paid interned the previous summer for her husband in a R&D lab at a watch manufacturer who used LCD's. Of course various materials were better than others, and a big factor we were looking at was "viewing angle", as the effectiveness of the LCD depended on the angle it was viewed at. Interesting stuff.

And regarding your other post about life expectancy - the issue with my TV is in the electronics, not the screen as you correctly indicate sometimes occurs. Probably, specifically, in that it has issues "talking" to the DVR, which is likewise not a recent model (also came from NJ). Oddly enough, the TV in the studio that I indicate appears to be fine sometimes has issues talking to the DVR as well, except that the problems are clearly with the DVR, and a reset (so far) resolves them.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Interesting, if complicated.

In spite of spending my career in the motion picture industry, my major was Chemistry. My senior research project in 1978 was with a theoretical physical chemist that studied computer models of liquid crystals - very primitive computer, I'll add - and I worked / paid interned the previous summer for her husband in a R&D lab at a watch manufacturer who used LCD's. Of course various materials were better than others, and a big factor we were looking at was "viewing angle", as the effectiveness of the LCD depended on the angle it was viewed at. Interesting stuff.

And regarding your other post about life expectancy - the issue with my TV is in the electronics, not the screen as you correctly indicate sometimes occurs. Probably, specifically, in that it has issues "talking" to the DVR, which is likewise not a recent model (also came from NJ). Oddly enough, the TV in the studio that I indicate appears to be fine sometimes has issues talking to the DVR as well, except that the problems are clearly with the DVR, and a reset (so far) resolves them.
Yes the angle viewing LCD's are critical, which is why off angle viewing of LCD panels presents such a washed out view. The In Plane Switch Panels (IPS) which most of the newer TV's tend to use, and the Vertical Alignment (VA) panels I believe are used by Vizio are superior LCD alignments which help to minimize leakage and off angle wash out. The IPS panels are to my eye far superior color wise, but blacks are only a little better. More LED zones really help there. OLED's don't have that problem, and the new Sony Z9D ameliorates this issue, but does not eliminate it. Sony does this by using IPS panels with a LOT of LED zones and the ability to control each LED output with a mini-computer.

Hand shake problems happen a lot with the newer TV's. Your problem could simply be a DVR update. Or it could be the advancing age of either or both the TV and the DVR. Time to move on. As I've said, the Sony's are dependable and longlasting. Their service is topnotch, and if you're buying from a BB use their extended warranty for in home service, just in case. Stuff happens.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why the tv producers think fans want to hear interviews while the gamunded just ticks me off. Sometimes a steal occurs and the audience misses it. Just saying.
This seems to an ESPN trait more than others. It's as if they decide that because one team is up by a bunch that the audience will not be interested n the play by play any more. Which, of course, gives the lie to the idea that they really care about UConn's current journey, except in headline format.

Reaction Score
I like my big screen. The players seem so life like. When Gabby comes over to the sidelines it's like she's coming over to talk to me.

Reaction Score
I am old school that I watch plasmas in my home that give me great viewing pleasure. Sports viewing is awesome.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am old school that I watch plasmas in my home that give me great viewing pleasure. Sports viewing is awesome.
how is your electric bill... I heard they burn high

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I recently purchased a 65" LG OLED set through Amazon after settling on a particular model and shopping for price. I purchased my set for $2,487, shipping included, no tax. The following week, Best Buy had the same set "on sale" for $3,500 and reduced that to $3,000 this past week ($3,210 with tax). I'm an old New England Yankee who never pays retail for anything.

I had the set professionally installed using the same contractor I've used for more than a decade, who also installed my surround sound system and all my previous HD sets.

I asked about calibration and the installer who has serviced my account for more than seven years told me not to bother. He did change the factory settings and went through some setting changes, showing me the impact of each setting change. He suggested that I only change settings while I was watching content that I watched frequently to get the best picture. He also called my set the best on the market.

The picture is spectacular although 4k content is limited. My DirecTV account has three channels of 4K and I have the enhanced Netflix 4K account which offers additional content. SNY offers HD broadcasts of UConn games and the picture has a near-3D quality to it. The set "up converts" the picture to near 4K quality and the difference is noticeable.

Since most set that fail do so in the first year or two, I purchased a two-year extended warrantee.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I recently purchased a 65" LG OLED set through Amazon after settling on a particular model and shopping for price. I purchased my set for $2,487, shipping included, no tax. The following week, Best Buy had the same set "on sale" for $3,500 and reduced that to $3,000 this past week ($3,210 with tax). I'm an old New England Yankee who never pays retail for anything.

I had the set professionally installed using the same contractor I've used for more than a decade, who also installed my surround sound system and all my previous HD sets.

I asked about calibration and the installer who has serviced my account for more than seven years told me not to bother. He did change the factory settings and went through some setting changes, showing me the impact of each setting change. He suggested that I only change settings while I was watching content that I watched frequently to get the best picture. He also called my set the best on the market.

The picture is spectacular although 4k content is limited. My DirecTV account has three channels of 4K and I have the enhanced Netflix 4K account which offers additional content. SNY offers HD broadcasts of UConn games and the picture has a near-3D quality to it. The set "up converts" the picture to near 4K quality and the difference is noticeable.

Since most set that fail do so in the first year or two, I purchased a two-year extended warrantee.
Did you get the curved screen version? I am wondering if that makes sense - our tv will be at eye level.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Did you get the curved screen version? I am wondering if that makes sense - our tv will be at eye level.

I did not. I think it was pricier with no apparent benefit. Besides that, I have a custom made enclosure which wouldn't work with a curved screen set.

JordyG

Reaction Score

A nice set. As I've said, I have last years model. As a videophile for 40 years (and an audiophile for 35 years) I make it a point to stay abreast of all the latest TV's and technologies. It is my joy.

By changing the factory settings you realize he calibrated the set. A little explanation. TV's as I've said are run in store on vivid which is running very hot. TV's were meant to run between 5500 and 6500 degrees kelvin which brings the colors to a natural setting and helps the TV last longer. On the LG are two ISF settings which look natural and keep the set running between the numbers. I set the TV to ISF 1, went online to look what pro calibrators changed (they were almost all equivalent), then adjusted the settings further to my taste. However HOW THE SET LOOKS TO YOU IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY PRECONCEIVED NOTION ABOUT SETTINGS. It is after all your house, your eyes and your set. And your pleasure.

Some people have complained about motion blur on OLED's. It should show mostly on sporting events and should be especially noticeable on events such as car racing. I am just not sensitive to that effect. You may not be sensitive to this as well. I am sensitive to visual artifacts like blocking, smearing, contrast artifacts and others. The LG has little of those except for black areas during broadcast TV (shows, movies etc.). It does not show in 4K material, HDR material, blu-rays or live TV. This is due to LG's conversion algorithm which is not as good as Sony's or Samsung's.

Love the set. As I said before, I think the LG OLED's are, along with the new Sony Z9D, the TV's best extant. Happy joy filled viewing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Curved screen TV's will show a little anamorphic edge distortion which will be noticeable. Curved screens are good as PC monitors since you're sitting very close but in my opinion, not so much for TV viewing. I have a 34" widescreen curved monitor I use for my computer. Works a treat up close.

JordyG

Reaction Score
how is your electric bill... I heard they burn high
The older a plasma gets, the cooler it burns as the plasma leaches out and the color fades. It does so slowly so that the eye can't distinguish color fade, but when compared to a new (if there were any) plasma it would be VERY noticeable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The older a plasma gets, the cooler it burns as the plasma leaches out and the color fades. It does so slowly so that the eye can't distinguish color fade, but when compared to a new (if there were any) plasma it would be VERY noticeable.
who makes the best Television overall? I know each has something different BUT which would you consider the best brand

JordyG

Reaction Score
who makes the best Television overall? I know each has something different BUT which would you consider the best brand
Again it depends on your taste. I've said before that the Sony's overall are just unbeatable for longevity, customer support, and price vs performance. Some people are very sensitive to the shortcomings of OLED's: Artifacts in dark areas during broadcast TV, and motion blur. Some people like me aren't sensitive to or find these shortcomings minor. The Sony 55" 850D at about a grand, and the 65" 850D at $1400 are top notch TV's. Both can be found further discounted at some sites. The Sony 930D at $1800 for the 65" is a better TV, but at a bigger price. Overall the LG G6 and E6 series TV's and the Sony Z9D run neck and neck for performance. The Sony though is an LCD. Off axis viewing, from the side or top, will show a fading of colors and a lightening of dark areas. OLED's don't have that problem. Technologically the Sony is as advanced as an LCD using LED backlighting can get. The OLED's are thin and light. The Sony's, especially the Z series are heavy and thick. LG just introduced at the last CES show an OLED that was near paper thin.

OLED's have a lifespan approximately half that of LCD TV's, about 10-15 years. OLED's also undergo gradual dimming similar to plasma's slowly over time, making it easy for the eye to forgive. OLED's are not as bright as say the Samsung's (or the Sony's), which run very bright and very hot. These TV's in vivid mode can run as hot as 11K kelvin, twice the temp a TV should run. Theoretically these TV's will have a much shorter lifespan that Sony's, probably about 10-15 years. Reviewers love the Samsung's, but I've found LCD burnout on many store driven samples which shows around the edges. If you ask salepersons at brick and mortar stores which TV's have the biggest return they'll generally tell you Samsung's.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Again it depends on your taste. I've said before that the Sony's overall are just unbeatable for longevity, customer support, and price vs performance. Some people are very sensitive to the shortcomings of OLED's: Artifacts in dark areas during broadcast TV, and motion blur. Some people like me aren't sensitive to or find these shortcomings minor. The Sony 55" 850D at about a grand, and the 65" 850D at $1400 are top notch TV's. Both can be found further discounted at some sites. The Sony 930D at $1800 for the 65" is a better TV, but at a bigger price. Overall the LG G6 and E6 series TV's and the Sony Z9D run neck and neck for performance. The Sony though is an LCD. Off axis viewing, from the side or top, will show a fading of colors and a lightening of dark areas. OLED's don't have that problem. Technologically the Sony is as advanced as an LCD using LED backlighting can get. The OLED's are thin and light, the Sony's, especially the Z series are heavy and thick. LG just introduced at the last CES show an OLED that was near paper thin.

OLED's have a lifespan approximately half that of LCD TV's, about 10-15 years. OLED's also undergo gradual dimming similar to plasma's slowly over time, making it easy for the eye to forgive. OLED's are not as bright as say the Samsung's, which run very bright and very hot. These TV's in vivid mode can run as hot as 11K kelvin, twice the temp a TV should run. Theoretically these TV's will have a much shorter lifespan that Sony's, probably about 10-15 years. Reviewers love the Samsung's, but I've found LCD burnout on many store driven samples which shows around the edges. If you ask salepersons at brick and mortar stores which TV's have the biggest return they'll generally tell you Samsung's.
your response and typing skills are amazing... I found a new "like" for you lol

Thanks, my pockets are on E... I gotta stick with the Vizio's

JordyG

Reaction Score
your response and typing skills are amazing... I found a new "like" for you lol

Thanks, my pockets are on E... I gotta stick with the Vizio's
Another good price vs performance TV. The new P-series TV's are pretty good. Vizio has a reference series which for years was vaporware, a fairy tale. I would love to see them in the pixel/flesh. The Panasonic's are supposedly very good, but where can you see them? Not in stores, only on Panasonic's site. Static photo's of TV's look great. They may as well be vaporware. By the way, my pockets are also on E. Seems I've joined a heady club.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom