Who's your list for next HC? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Eric meet Cory, Cory say hello to Eric.

Mangini would be interesting, not an exciting personality but is known to be a great X's and O's guy.

I would think Mangini might do well in the transfer portal just because of his previous coaching positions. Most Jets fans today (I am a Jets fan) consider his firing a mistake as he built a solid team but was undercut by Favre's torn bicep in the middle of the 2008 season.

Mangini coached the Jets into the playoffs in 2006 and was then given the nickname Mangenius. Pennington got injured early in his second year which torpedoed the season. In 2008 when Favre was healthy the Jets actually rose to # 1 in the NFL power rankings after week 12, then Favre injured his bicep. Mangini was fired with a 9-7 record in 2008.

Mangini used to host a summer youth football camp in Hartford.
He doesn’t want to coach college.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Interview Lori Locust and Katie Sowers. Why not.

Reaction Score
Bad name to add to the list lol. And give me Kendal Briles for HC with Art as OC.

Art Briles will be nowhere near any college program the Baylor situation has made him completely toxic. Kendal Briles makes more money than Edsall as an OC currently. He's not leaving for UConn, as he expects his next move to be to P4/5 HC.

Reaction Score
Hell, I'd give the WCSU coach a shot at this point. Good recruiter and gets the most out of his players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Connection to UConn shouldn't be considered a negative. It just shouldn't be the deciding factor. Moorhead has years of experience as a HC, is offensively minded, and we should be able to double his current salary. Why isn't he the perfect fit?

Reaction Score
Cignetti from JMU
Entz ND State
Moorhead Oregon
Tom Herman
Scott frost is he's fired
Rich Rodriguez

Reaction Score
Here is another name. Not sure if someone mentioned before.

Brian Johnson, QBs coach for Phil Eagles. He is younger. Was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Florida.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lots of names being bandied about. Will be interesting to see what actually transpires.
I would LOVE to see Lashlee back. If anyone can get him,it would be A.D.Dave , who originally brought him here in the first place.

Now for a choice totally off the wall & will NEVER happen: Tyler P.'s former coach at Avon Old Farms: Bill Mella. Coach Bill was a tight ends coach at Trinity. He replaced Jude Kelly at Southington (both of my boys played for him) & in his 3 years there took the Knights to two Class LL finals & a semifinal. He left for a stint at Wesleyan & then became Head Coach at Avon Old Farms so he could have increased family time with his kids. Watching him while he coached the Blue Knights, I saw all the traits we are looking for: Assessing & putting players in a position to succeed, monitoring their class work, great tactician on both offense & defense, excellent motivator.
I'm just using Coach Mella's qualities as an example of the type of Coach A.D. Dave should be looking for. Whoever he chooses has a lot of work to do to bring the Huskies back to respectability.
You forgot to include embezzling town funds to his list of qualities.

Reaction Score
Ishmael Aristide, Texas A&M, Defensive Analyst age 30: Take a look at any member of Texas A&M's 2020 recruiting class, and there's a pretty good bet Aristide had a role in helping to land that player. Considered an elite recruiter, Aristide aided the Aggies' pursuit of players like Donell Harris and one of the deepest defensive back classes in the country. He's also been a big asset for Texas A&M's defensive back room, working alongside defensive coordinator Mike Elko. Aristide came to College Station from Ole Miss, where he served as a senior defensive analyst from 2017 to 2019. Before arriving in Oxford, he was a GA at Auburn. The former Purdue Boilermaker is someone we expect to have an on-field role sooner rather than later. Those around the Aggie program are very high on him.

Reaction Score
High school coach? No thanks. Better off with Leach disciple Mele if we want to go Air Raid
Eric Mele worked under Leach as a RB coach and special teams coordinator. He’s never been an OC or a HC at any point in his coaching career, nor has he ever been involved in recruiting.

Costa resume > Mele resume

Look, I have no idea if Costa even wants to be a D1 head coach. I’m looking at a young guy with an extensive resume at the high school, college and pro levels with a teaching background who knows recruiting. IMG Academy is a national football brand and far from your typical high school program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sam Rutigliano should get a shot. Coached at UConn as an assistant and has NFL head coaching experience. Could use that experience to lure recruits
I think Sam is in a nursing home and is at least 90. Not sure he is what we need

Reaction Score
Here is another name. Not sure if someone mentioned before.

Brian Johnson, QBs coach for Phil Eagles. He is younger. Was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Florida.

Another outside the box hire with the same name:

Brian Johnson (from AC/DC)

Sure, he may not know coaching football, but imagine How cool it would be to have our head coach be able to sing the start-of-game & between-play hype songs live! That would be a big fan and recruit draw. Just also hire a hot OC & DC to take care of the dirty work and we’d be fine!

Reaction Score
I really really do not want a defensive background coach. We need a guy who will run a fun offense. Even if we’re going 5-7 but losing games 35-42, fans will still turn out because its fun to watch. If we’re losing 3-24 then we’ll be stuck in the same position as we are right now.
The last few hires should tell us that clearly hiring a defensive minded coach does not work. You can find a billion good defensive coordinators, but finding an excellent offensive coach is hard to do on our assistant salary level. Head coach has to be offense

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sean Spencer (Hartford, CT native), honestly, makes a ton of sense...

New York Football Giants | Giants.com
No defensive-minded coaches as HC.

We really need someone who has demonstrated an ability to be a successful head coach of a college football team post-2020. It’s the one thing we haven’t tried and the most likely indicator of success. I’d take a good FCS head coach over a highly successful OC at this point.

Reaction Score
No defensive-minded coaches as HC.

We really need someone who has demonstrated an ability to be a successful head coach of a college football team post-2020. It’s the one thing we haven’t tried and the most likely indicator of success. I’d take a good FCS head coach over a highly successful OC at this point.
I disagree. Doesn’t really matter. We're losing battles up front, on BOTH sides of the football...
I think we get the best guy (offensive or defensive minded) that is willing to allow free reign to bring THE best Coordinators for the job, not to mention the rest of the coaching staff. The powers that be handcuffs the AD, along with the coaches... If we have a chance to make it work gotta give the AD more resources to make it work.

No more converting WR coach into RB coach then into play calling QB coach. No more converting life long OL guy into OC.. that stuff doesn't work...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I disagree. Doesn’t really matter. We're losing battles up front, on BOTH sides of the football...
I think we get the best guy (offensive or defensive minded) that is willing to allow free reign to bring THE best Coordinators for the job, not to mention the rest of the coaching staff. The powers that be handcuffs the AD, along with the coaches... If we have a chance to make it work gotta give the AD more resources to make it work.

No more converting WR coach into RB coach then into play calling QB coach. No more converting life long OL guy into OC.. that stuff doesn't work...
Agree, except we have to be offense biased. First, we have never tried. And second, if you have a watchable offense it at least gets people in the gates (and keeps them there once in).

Reaction Score
Agree, except we have to be offense biased. First, we have never tried. And second, if you have a watchable offense it at least gets people in the gates (and keeps them there once in).
Can't argue with that brother. Our offense....smh...can give you an ulcer if you care too much...

Reaction Score
Eric Mele worked under Leach as a RB coach and special teams coordinator. He’s never been an OC or a HC at any point in his coaching career, nor has he ever been involved in recruiting.

Costa resume > Mele resume

Look, I have no idea if Costa even wants to be a D1 head coach. I’m looking at a young guy with an extensive resume at the high school, college and pro levels with a teaching background who knows recruiting. IMG Academy is a national football brand and far from your typical high school program.
Leach doesn't have offensive coordinators. Briles was a RB coach under him, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom