Who were your childhood bball heroes? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who were your childhood bball heroes?

Reaction Score
Who did you idolize growing up? NBA or college? Bench player or superstar? Did you have posters, or starting lineup figures?

This is particularly fun when you realize that as a kid, you probably couldn't discern real greatness. Our favorites often weren't the stars. Randomly seeing a great play by a role player was sometimes enough to turn you into a fan. Probably the reason why I had a huge Derrick Mckey poster above my bed.
Bill Bradley Rhodes Scholar, fantastic basketball player

Reaction Score
Jerry Lucas
himself
Bobby Knight
They won the NC as sophomores but lost in the finals the next two years .
They were upset by Cincinnati both years and people still make the mistake of crediting Oscar Robertson but he never won a NC he was gone by then .
Cincinnati’s star was Paul Hogue
If you like beautiful execution the Russell rebound and quick pass to a running Havilcek was a sure two unless you got back on defense
No team ever did that better

Reaction Score
Dr. J., Moses Malone and then Charles Barkley. Met all three. Grew up a Sixers fan, but when the Sixers traded Barkley my Sixers fandom and overall NBA fandom died.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Shelby Jones and Jimmy Hodge. Late 80s Cromwell Panthers!

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
NBA: Dr. J, Bernard King & Marques Johnson
College: Adrian Branch (Md.) & Len Bias

Reaction Score
Michael Jordan

(I didn't know any better).

Shawn Kemp, John Paxston. John Stockton. Mark Price. Reggie Miller. Payton. Hardaway. Shaq a little.

Malone (I reallllly didn't know better)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who did you idolize growing up? NBA or college? Bench player or superstar? Did you have posters, or starting lineup figures?

This is particularly fun when you realize that as a kid, you probably couldn't discern real greatness. Our favorites often weren't the stars. Randomly seeing a great play by a role player was sometimes enough to turn you into a fan. Probably the reason why I had a huge Derrick Mckey poster above my bed.
Dr J & Tony Hanson

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Bird, McHale, Parish in the pros.
Earl Kelley in college and high school (I went to Wilbur Cross when Earl was there... back when high school teams were good. Three state championships, Cross's upset of Patrick Ewing's team at Cambridge Rindge and Latin. High school gym full of fans and scouts. Big East Rookie of the Year. Good times)

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Jeff Carr with the winning follow up if I remember correctly!

Yes big John Thomas what a rebounder averaged double digits.

Also Al Weston would have been tremendous with a 3 pt line

Didn't look ahead of Rutgers myself because they were undefeated and I knew we weren't getting by them. We also already lost to them in the regular season. They brought that game on cptv.
Yeah Sellers was too much but after that comeback I thought another miracle was possible.

Reaction Score

I absolutely idolized Iverson. Small guy, so quick, jumped so high - a total warrior. Loved that guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom