Who were your childhood bball heroes? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who were your childhood bball heroes?

Reaction Score
1164.jpg

Reaction Score
The late 60s/early 70s Knicks were the team in my formative teen years. While tall, I didn't enjoy playing hoops all that much, nor was I any good at anything other than taking up space. But I did manage a decent imitation of Dick Barnett's kick shot.

And then the ABA and Dr. J happened and it was goodbye NBA, hello tri-colored ball. The Nets were my jam until they were forced to sell Dr. J to Philly. I hated the NBA for that and didn't watch again for at least another decade.
I remember my elementary school library had a basketball fundamentals book by dick Barnett. He talked about that shot all the time and showed a diagram how to do it.
I tried it on my dad and he threw my shot into the neighbors yard.

Reaction Score
John Havlicek
Havlicek was my basketball idol. My room was filled with his posters.

Used to listen to Celtic games on WBZ from Stratford. With a transistor radio and antenna hanging out an open window.

Got to meet him and interview him during Daily Campus days.

Classiest man in sports. And as I think about it, Cam's game was a bit modeled after him. (Just perpetual movement...)

Reaction Score
I forgot I really liked watching nick van exel and nash together

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Doug Melody

Joey Whelton

Tony Hansen
As a UConn fan my top three as a kid would have been Tony Hansen, Joey Whelton and John Thomas. Was already a fan but fell in love during that comeback against Hofstra. Then had my heart broken when we lost to Rutgers. If we would have beaten them only VMI would have stood between us and our first final four.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan my top three as a kid would have been Tony Hansen, Joey Whelton and John Thomas. Was already a fan but fell in love during that comeback against Hofstra. Then had my heart broken when we lost to Rutgers. If we would have beaten them only VMI would have stood between us and our first final four.

Jeff Carr with the winning follow up if I remember correctly!

Yes big John Thomas what a rebounder averaged double digits.

Also Al Weston would have been tremendous with a 3 pt line

Didn't look ahead of Rutgers myself because they were undefeated and I knew we weren't getting by them. We also already lost to them in the regular season. They brought that game on cptv.

Reaction Score
Clyde for NBA.
Chris Mullin for colleg.
Loved watching the Knicks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member