Who Takes the Last Shot? | The Boneyard

Who Takes the Last Shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Need some basketball discussion here. We're 40% thru the season and no definitive alpha dog has emerged.

Purvis has been most consistent, but Hamilton is best off dribble. Gibbs left his swagger at Seton Hall. I think Purvis is our best shot and wants it.

Reaction Score
Hamilton or Purvis. We really don't have a single player like Kemba or Bazz this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm fine w Hamilton, but I'd choose Purvis. He's been good at the end of games, and I like his confidence. It's the first 25-30 minutes that I worry about w him.

Dhams got a really nice mid range pull up though, which is great for end of game scenarios.

Toss up.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'm fine w Hamilton, but I'd choose Purvis. He's been good at the end of games, and I like his confidence. It's the first 25-30 minutes that I worry about w him.

Dhams got a really nice mid range pull up though, which is great for end of game scenarios.

Toss up.
Purvis also has a nice pull up off the dribble from mid range. Plus I would want Hamilton rebounding for a put back.

Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure is I'd go small with Miller and/or Facey for put backs, spread it and drive the lane with DHam and see who collapses, then there's your open guy! Or if they don't then DHam is.

Reaction Score
Open outside shot: Purvis
Dribble drive: DHam, Gibbs or Omar if he is on the floor. Yes, Omar. He is a good free throw shooter but probably won't be out there.
No way we want Purvis on the line for the game.
I see Omar becoming a good role player this year and able to get the intenional fouls on inbound passes and hit his foul shots.

Reaction Score
I think we should be crazy and try to move the ball around and find an open
man.

I think I'd have to agree with this, and agree with the idea that we don't have a Kemba or Bazz on this team.

We have several experienced and talented players who are capable of making a game winning shot. I like the option of moving the ball well enough to find the open man over a single player taking it off the dribble.

If it were down to Purvis or Hamilton, I'd give the ball to Rodney. Hamilton's more talented, but has a quiet natured/silent-but-deadly persona to him. Rodney's a confident pump up guy who I feel would want it more at the end of the game. I think he could handle the spotlight and pressure just a little more. Hamilton's not quite ready I don't think; hasn't developed that ice-in-the-veins swagger yet.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I think I'd have to agree with this, and agree with the idea that we don't have a Kemba or Bazz on this team.

We have several experienced and talented players who are capable of making a game winning shot. I like the option of moving the ball well enough to find the open man over a single player taking it off the dribble.

If it were down to Purvis or Hamilton, I'd give the ball to Rodney. Hamilton's more talented, but has a quiet natured/silent-but-deadly persona to him. Rodney's a confident pump up guy who I feel would want it more at the end of the game. I think he could handle the spotlight and pressure just a little more. Hamilton's not quite ready I don't think; hasn't developed that ice-in-the-veins swagger yet.
I think that this is innate. Rashad, BG3, AJ Price, Kemba, Shabazz, and Boat all had the mindset to stick daggers from before they stepped on campus. You don't learn to have balls, you're born with them.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure is I'd go small with Miller and/or Facey for put backs, spread it and drive the lane with DHam and see who collapses, then there's your open guy! Or if they don't then DHam is.
If we're in a "last shot" situation and Facey's not on the floor I'll lose my mind. He's one of the best offensive rebounders in the country, and we can plan for his put-backs.

It's also why I love the Miller/Facey combo when we feed Miller on the post. If Miller gets doubled, Facey will be going 1-v-1 for an offensive rebound and I like those odds. It also allows the backcourt to get back and defend against break-outs.

This is a simplified version of the pro sets we've been running, but the more I watch this team the more convinced I am that simpler is better.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, and I hope that open man is Gibbs.

I'd say Purvis, but his struggles at the free throw line terrify me.
that's why i wouldn't want purvis... they would just send him to the line instead of allowing him to shoot or drive... i'd say hamilton and let him either try to score or create for others... gibbs would be the next and then miller on the block

Reaction Score
Agree with Mau, whichever perimeter player is hot. Would have said Gibbs before the season. Purvis and Hamilton weren't mentally tough.

C

Chief00

I think Purvis is working hard and improving his shooting from the field.
But for the last shot with Purvis there is no plan B or C off a pass and statistically you don't have a good probability of winning at the line.
Hamilton is a better foul shooter but not as good as he can be with more work. So for all the above its Hamilton.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis is working hard and improving his shooting from the field.
But for the last shot with Purvis there is no plan B or C off a pass and statistically you don't have a good probability of winning at the line.
Hamilton is a better foul shooter but not as good as he can be with more work. So for all the above its Hamilton.

Agree about Purvis. Opposing coach would be stupid to not foul him before the shot. Dham is streaky but probably our best option.

Omar good from the corner!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still think SG has the best shot of making it
BUT he looks like he has no confidence
DHam or Purvis would be who I would look to now

Reaction Score
Our bigger concern is who creates and locates the open man ,who then should be taking th last shot. That shot can be a dunk if it's given to us.

Reaction Score
Our bigger concern is who creates and locates the open man ,who then should be taking th last shot. That shot can be a dunk if it's given to us.

Reaction Score
I don't think we really have that guy. I'm comfortable running the offense through D-Ham in high leverage situations, but in situations where there isn't enough time for a pass, I'm not sure he's there.

Honestly, our best bet might be Adams, depending on the circumstance. If all you have time for is an iso, I think he can get a decent shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom