Who’s our best player?

• Andre Jackson Jr

• Jordan Hawkins

• Alex Karaban

• Adama Sanogo

• Donovan Clingan

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I think by a mile Hawkins is our best player off pure talent. Also, without him, we would score probably 45 points a game. In terms of who is our most important player, that may be AJax because of defense and playmaking, but then again, his lack of scoring knocks him down quite a few notches

Reaction Score
Hawkins is our best player, he shows advancing skills is a phenomenal shooter and vastly improved D.
Hawkins is probably not team mvp though, there it is probably Sanogo for Pts, rebounds & blocks - but AJ is right there in terms of leading/igniting the team and game changing plays.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins is excellent, but he is also easy to take out of games via game plan.

Jordans 3% and overall shooting % in losses
Xavier - 20% -33%
Providence - 28.6% -35.7%
Marquette - 25% - 12.5% !!!
St. Johns - 44.4% - 56.3 % (excellent 31 points)
Seton Hall - 50% - 50% (good game)

He was woeful in our first 3 losses, better in the last 2 Lets hope he continues that upward trend from the last 2.

He should be a 40% 3 shooter and around 50 overall.

He definitely "can" be our best player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jordan Hawkins is excellent, but he is also easy to take out of games via game plan.

Xavier - 20% -33%

He was woeful in our first 3 losses, better in the last 2 Lets hope he continues that upward trend from the last 2.

If you think about it vs replacement player, that's the issue. If Alleyne was what we saw at VT, then we'd have a solid backup. But he hasn't been. Karaban is critical by that measure as well, but hopefully less so soon.

Reaction Score

Xavier - 20% -33%

Jordan has really been hurt by Jackson having no scoring ability, Newton not looking to score, and Sanogo being a poor passer. Against good defenses who are keyed in on stopping him it's just really difficult for him to get open when the other players aren't doing what they should be.

I wish Hawkins shooting/driving was a bit better but I'm happy with his play. It feels like he's playing the right way and he's in that group of players meeting/exceeding expectations along with Clingan and Karaban.

His handle and driving are still not a strength but he's certainly improved them and he's rebounding really well in Big East play.

That 50% standard just isn't going to happen nor should it be expected. I don't think any of our great perimeter players were there, possibly Ray Allen.

Reaction Score

Xavier - 20% -33%

Your argument directly supports the idea he is our best player. When he shoots poorly, we have no other offensive option and we lose.

Reaction Score
I still say Adama Sanogo.
The Adama slander from this fanbase in the last 3 weeks is insane to me regardless of how good Clingan may be as a player.

If he continues to be a quick decision maker in the post & passes out of the double like he did versus Butler I think he’s still very deserving of 25-30 minutes a night.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The Adama slander from this fanbase in the last 3 weeks is insane to me regardless of how good Clingan may be as a player.

If he continues to be a quick decision maker in the post & passes out of the double like he did versus Butler I think he’s still very deserving of 25-30 minutes a night.
I’d like to see the + / - splits between the two by game in conference play.

My instincts are it’s in Clingan’s favor but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

My preference for Clingan is defensive. Both in rim protection and in the avoidance of live ball turnovers.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s so hard to say. Depends on how you define “best”. Dominant in 1-on-1s? Ability to get own bucket? Maximum versatility or glue guy who sparks the team? Guy with the most future potential?

Best player (most dominant): Adam Sanogo
Best player (best scorer): Jordan Hawkins
Best player (most versatile): Andre Jackson
Best player (glue guy): Alex Karaban
Best player (highest ceiling): Donovan Clingan

FWIW I voted Hawkins because he’s the guy I’d want taking the last shot / would be hardest for the team to replace with someone else on the roster.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is the player with the most upside and likely the only one going to the NBA this year so maybe he is our "best". However, not sure if he is the most valuable. Sanogo has flaws but constantly puts up solid to excellent numbers and has earned leadership on a team that needs it badly. To me, he is our most important player with regard to team impact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My preference for Clingan is defensive. Both in rim protection and in the avoidance of live ball turnovers.
I think it is, but it's irrelevant. Clingan comes in to face backup centers or guys worn down or in foul trouble from dealing with the best offensive center in the league. Stamina wise, he's gassed after 7-8 minutes, and it looks like he couldn't play the minutes Sanogo does if he wanted to. He wouldn't have those numbers if their roles were reversed, and he'd struggle not to foul out.

Defensively, Clingan is better in the paint against post players, and much worse defending out on the perimeter. Even in the paint, Sanogo is better at holding ground and pushing guys further out, while DC relies on height.

Reaction Score
It would be Andre for sure if he just attacked the rim relentlessly, developed a repertoire of finishing moves and got to the line 8-10 times a game. He has great strength and otherworldly athleticism. He has not just the ability to guard at least four positions (some fives depending on who) but is one of the best on ball defenders in the nation, his handle is more then good for 6'7, has developed a decent set shot, and his best attribute is his heart, hustle and selflessness.

When our offense gets flat though he gets quiet sometimes. He needs to get to the line plain and simple. Learn how to adjust in air in order to take contact not avoid it. Learn how to cut off a recovering defender in order to draw a foul or use a freeze move in the paint (Sanogo does this well with shot fakes on oboards and dump downs, AJ needs to do it on drives and jump stops). He should be scoring more. We need 10-12 a game from him and honestly he is capable of getting 6-7 from the line. To often though when he dribble drives he is just looking to dish or willing to pull it out rather than take it into contact. He needs to realize he is rarely going to get blocked with his athleticism (at least from his defender) and even just him drawing a help big defender at the rim will help Sanogo and Clignan eat put backs if he just gets the ball on the rim.

The lack of guard drivers is hurting this team though. He can be one. But as of right now the d game plan has shifted to going over every screen and not giving our guards shots because they won't drive and get to the line. Newton has displayed the craftiness to do so at ECU and in the Buffalo game but has not done it this year outside of that game. Hawkins is going to pull up. Diarra and Joey C are going to pass. Need to make the refs blow the whistle for us.

Reaction Score
If you tell me we win a national championship and ask what needs to happen in the tournament. I would expect that Hawkins is an offenise engine scoring 20 ppg. I feel that when Sanogo is on the bench we have an excellent chance to succeed while he is on the bench. Not a knock on him but I think there are games where I want Clingan to carry us instead of him whereas there are no games where i dont want hawkins taking double digit shots and playing 30 minutes

Reaction Score
Our most consistent player is Karaban. The others tend to yo yo a bit

Reaction Score
I think it is, but it's irrelevant. Clingan comes in to face backup centers or guys worn down or in foul trouble from dealing with the best offensive center in the league. Stamina wise, he's gassed after 7-8 minutes, and it looks like he couldn't play the minutes Sanogo does if he wanted to. He wouldn't have those numbers if their roles were reversed, and he'd struggle not to foul out.

Defensively, Clingan is better in the paint against post players, and much worse defending out on the perimeter. Even in the paint, Sanogo is better at holding ground and pushing guys further out, while DC relies on height.
Saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

Reaction Score
Its a really good question. With how teams defend us, they definitely worry about Hawkins and Sanogo a lot. I'm voting hawkins. He's shooting 39% from 3 and 85% from the line and starting to rebound more.

Reaction Score

More stats than you could ever want (and with sample sizes too small to make very many conclusions about...):

Change the dates or use the dropdown presets if you want. I have it set for since the play got worse in GTown game.

Reaction Score
Saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.
Neither the eye test, nor +/-, nor any advanced analytics is going to change this guy's mind. Sanogo could have one his turnstile defensive performances and he would respond, "something, something Clingan looks winded."

Reaction Score
His development? His passing and defense has been awful. I wouldn't take much from playing Butler, they're terrible and injured. It's clear Hurley was trying to get Sanogo's game and confidence back on track today but we need to see it against the good teams. He's been getting outplayed in the Big East. We can talk him up after he rights the score against Xavier, Marquette, Providence, St. John's...
I think you misread what I wrote, John. I wrote "this development" referring to the recent games where Sanogo has been a more willing passer.

Yesterday's game he passed out of the double team at least four or five times, for a couple of assists and once to an open Karaban who drained the three. Adama also stood at the three point line and instead of jacking up a three delivered perhaps the game's most beautiful assist to a cutting karaban, threading a pass to him in stride, in his hands, for an easy lay-in. AS finished with 3 three assists and might have one or two more if not for a missed basket. Not bad for the big man who someone on this board called a "deep dark hole."

So that's what I meant by "this development," that Adama is recently showing an increasing willingness and ability to pass, something which needed improvement in his game and which he is getting better at before our eyes. I know it was Butler, but he wasn't making those passes against the early season cupcakes. I checked one game Delaware State ... 0 assists.

But this is also about "his development." I would argue there hasn't been any other player except Sanogo who has gotten significantly better under Hurley.

We all know the backstory ... born in Mali, played soccer as youth and didn't pick up a basketball until he was 14. Leaves his family, his home, thousands of miles to America to learn the game. High school, AAU ball, lands at UConn where he won a starting job in his third college game and has started every game since.

Since that messed up 20-21 pandemic season, everything about his game has gotten better. His scoring has gone up (even though his minutes are down this year) his footwork around the basket, his variety of moves, his 8 to 10 footer, and his ability to finish have all improved every year. The numbers support this, he shoots 59% percent from the floor. How he makes himself wide and available for the entry has gotten better. He could hardly catch the ball as a freshman but as much as he gets the ball in the post, his turnovers are down from last year.

His free throw shooting has gone up each year from 58% to 68% to 77%. That's phenomenal and a testament to Adama's work ethic. And while he won't ever be confused with Magic Johnson, he can put the ball on the floor on occasion, which when he got here was almost always a turnover.

And there's this: in 20-21 he attempted 0 shots from 3. Last year he took one and missed it. This year he has 11 made three-pointers on 37% shooting, a better percentage than two other starters. That's development, yes?

The question was who is the best player on the team. To me it's obvious: the player who leads the team in both scoring and rebounding. Anyone can have a different opinion but no one can say Adama Sanogo hasn't gotten better in a Husky uniform. And to the other point ...I know he hasn't played well in every game for whatever reason -- effort, matchup, coaching, not sleeping well the night before, who knows. But no one plays well in every game, especially at this level.

The kid has never been in trouble, he works really hard and it appears his teammates like and respect him. He doesn't woof at other players, in fact he hardly shows any emotion on the floor. I hope he is having fun but I suspect he carries a lot on his shoulders. Anyway, he's one of my all-time favorite players at UConn and like you I hope he has some really good games over the next two months. As I said, when he plays well, the team usually wins.

Apologies for the way too long post but like someone else mentioned in this thread, I really do not understand how much grief Adama gets from this board and it leaves me wanting to defend him more.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I voted for Sanogo but considered Hawkins. Anyone voting for anyone other than those 2 has no clue whatsoever.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My answer was Sanogo as our best player, but he's actually one of the easiest to replace when we have Clingan waiting as a backup
Yeah, but Clingan isn't going 28 minutes yet, and he'd basically have no tested backup. So Sanogo makes sense in that argument.

If the more aggressive Hawkins we've seen last two games is the real Hawkins, then he's got my vote. And I'm a big AJax fan, but we've won without him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom