Which Would Make You Feel Bettet About UConn's Loss To Iowa? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which Would Make You Feel Bettet About UConn's Loss To Iowa?

Which of the Following Would Make You Feel Better About UConn's Loss to Iowa

• Iowa Getting Routed By SC and Realizing a Trip to TitleA Game Would Have Been in Vain

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Iowa Winning Title Game and Taking Solace in Barely Losing to Eventual Champs

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • A Replay of 2021 Regional Final.and Remembering Controversial Calls Even Out

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I Don't Want To Feel Better and Prefer to Wallow in Misery

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Iowa Getting Routed By SC and Realizing a Trip to Title Game Would Have Been in Vain

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • Iowa Getting Routed By SC and Realizing a Trip to Title Game Would Have Been in Vain

Votes: 26 20.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Why feel bad? Our team did great and considering we get a bunch of healthy players back next year to go with this year's team and Sarah Strong committing....the future looks real good.
Yeah. I came to post basically this sentiment. The one thing about South Carolina, and talking about their depth, is that they were healthy. Like their top 10 were healthy coming into the tournament. As much as I harp on Geno playing his depth, UConn's top 10 was not healthy. Even Iowa probably missed Molly Davis a bit. So even though I still think we should've won Friday, I do think the whole issues with injuries is a real thing, like a real reason we did not finish the season on top. Like if Azzi started, and Ash was in a Tessa Johnson role with no pressure, just play ur game, I wonder how she woulda performed in the final four. And I think Ash was amazing all year, just saying. It's tough when everything is riding on you. So hopefully they have health next season.

Reaction Score
You are missing the point and taking it out of context and that is very unfair. It's not about fans in general, it's about little girls and the effect that the game is having on them for the first time. Both Clark and Paige are idols to them. I was very specific about that. That is not true of the SC players. I made the statement in reaction to a poster that said he wanted to see SC crush Iowa which I felt would not be good for the game after all the progress that was made this year including a record high 14 million viewers of UCONN v Iowa. If you are an SC fan or wanted to see such a result then you have company with that poster but I didn't. However, if there are 50 little girls lining up to get Cardoso's or someone else's autograph or photo after the SC games as I have seen this year in person for Paige in 3 different venues, then I stand corrected but I sincerely doubt that. You say you "suspect" that it happens in SC, so you don't know. Do yourself a favor. If you are going to quote someone, then either reply to the quote or put the whole quote in.
Well, since you're not going to those games, you have no idea either, huh? :rolleyes:

For the record, I have been to all the home Syracuse WBB games in the 2023-24 season and EVERY GAME they had 50+ kids lining up to get autographs from the players after the games. Syracuse WBB doesn't even have nearly the same pull or interest as SC so draw your own conclusions.

Literally no one is denying that CC has plenty of young fans, as does Paige, but it's beyond ridiculous to act like other fanbases don't have swaths of young fans looking up to them. Sure it's probably not on the exact same level in terms of pure numbers, but they still have an impact of young kids.

ALSO the whole point of clipping a quote is because I'm responding to the relevant parts of a discussion. It's the exact same thing as quoting an entire post and then bolding the relevant parts. I don't know why that bothers you.

Reaction Score
On social media, there's a story about Paige Bueckers giving an interview in which she says she hopes there isn't a singular focus on her next season as the most well-known women's basketball player. In defending Caitlin Clark (I guess this is perceived by some as criticism of her), a commenter (woman from Iowa) actually said she'd never even heard of UConn women's basketball or Geno Auriemma until this year, and that we should be grateful to Caitlin Clark for putting us on the map. And it's not Clark's fault that Iowa women's basketball is far more popular than that of any other team.

What do you even say to that?

Reaction Score
Well, since you're not going to those games, you have no idea either, huh? :rolleyes:

For the record, I have been to all the home Syracuse WBB games in the 2023-24 season and EVERY GAME they had 50+ kids lining up to get autographs from the players after the games. Syracuse WBB doesn't even have nearly the same pull or interest as SC so draw your own conclusions.

Literally no one is denying that CC has plenty of young fans, as does Paige, but it's beyond ridiculous to act like other fanbases don't have swaths of young fans looking up to them. Sure it's probably not on the exact same level in terms of pure numbers, but they still have an impact of young kids.

ALSO the whole point of clipping a quote is because I'm responding to the relevant parts of a discussion. It's the exact same thing as quoting an entire post and then bolding the relevant parts. I don't know why that bothers you.
We just disagree. The whole point was the effect of Caitlin Clark and secondarily Paige on young girls and women's sports. If you are comparing the Syracuse women's effect on women's sports to CC's, then even Dawn Staley disagrees with you. I don't know why it is so difficult to accept the fact that her impact has been, as Dawn said, the greatest ever. I would defer to her opinion in that regard.

The more the women's game gets attention and has heroes, the more young girls will be drawn to it, the more they will play it, the better the game becomes, the greater the advancement of women. And just to be clear, I would bet you dollars to donuts that when the Syracuse women go and play away at say North Carolina, there are not 50 young girls lining up for autographs and photos of a Syracuse player. That's what I saw first hand with Paige and we know from videos and press accounts and social media that is what happened with CC. Sometimes a sea change is hard to accept but 12.5 million watching Iowa- LSU, a new record, and 14 million watching Iowa-UCONN, another new record says it all. CC has had an important impact on women's basketball and women's sports in general.

Reaction Score
We just disagree. The whole point was the effect of Caitlin Clark and secondarily Paige on young girls and women's sports. If you are comparing the Syracuse women's effect on women's sports to CC's, then even Dawn Staley disagrees with you. I don't know why it is so difficult to accept the fact that her impact has been, as Dawn said, the greatest ever. I would defer to her opinion in that regard.

The more the women's game gets attention and has heroes, the more young girls will be drawn to it, the more they will play it, the better the game becomes, the greater the advancement of women. And just to be clear, I would bet you dollars to donuts that when the Syracuse women go and play away at say North Carolina, there are not 50 young girls lining up for autographs and photos of a Syracuse player. That's what I saw first hand with Paige and we know from videos and press accounts and social media that is what happened with CC. Sometimes a sea change is hard to accept but 12.5 million watching Iowa- LSU, a new record, and 14 million watching Iowa-UCONN, another new record says it all. CC has had an important impact on women's basketball and women's sports in general.
I'm not comparing Syracuse to South Carolina or CC. You've missed the point. You were suggesting in your original post that young fans don't line up to see South Carolina players. I strongly disagree. They have a huge, dedicated fanbase. My Syracuse example was merely to illustrate the point if small fanbases at home can attract their own groups of young, dedicated fans then certainly a powerhouse like South Carolina can do it at home and on the road. CC is obviously the most popular attraction right now but you're acting like she's the only player fans care about and that simply isn't true. Obviously.

Reaction Score
On social media, there's a story about Paige Bueckers giving an interview in which she says she hopes there isn't a singular focus on her next season as the most well-known women's basketball player. In defending Caitlin Clark (I guess this is perceived by some as criticism of her), a commenter (woman from Iowa) actually said she'd never even heard of UConn women's basketball or Geno Auriemma until this year, and that we should be grateful to Caitlin Clark for putting us on the map. And it's not Clark's fault that Iowa women's basketball is far more popular than that of any other team.

I'd say they're:

a) delusional
b) have never paid attention to WBB until 2 years ago (and have been living under a rock)
c) is poorly attempting to throw shade

Or some mix of those options. :rolleyes: It's so obvious when people have literally just tuned in recently or are only watching game highlights on social media that the algorithm fed them, because they have absolutely zero sense of WBB history.

EDIT: I am so tired of those people who act like anything that happens or anything anyone says is somehow related to CC. The entirely of WBB doesn't revolve around her. I need people to seriously log off and go touch some grass. I saw an interview with DT where she was commenting that it's a shame that fans don't follow more women's sports beyond college and people were taking it as a slight and suggesting that Diana was just "jealous" and "bitter" about CC's success.

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
That was a press conference, believe before the final four games. Listen to Paige’s complete answer. She’s talking about the media and that there are many faces of women’s basketball, not just hers (Paige). The answer is don’t believe everything you see or hear on social media.

Reaction Score
I'm not comparing Syracuse to South Carolina or CC. You've missed the point. You were suggesting in your original post that young fans don't line up to see South Carolina players. I strongly disagree. They have a huge, dedicated fanbase. My Syracuse example was merely to illustrate the point if small fanbases at home can attract their own groups of young, dedicated fans then certainly a powerhouse like South Carolina can do it at home and on the road. CC is obviously the most popular attraction right now but you're acting like she's the only player fans care about and that simply isn't true. Obviously.
I don't think it is fair to assume that SC has 50 young fans line up for photos and autographs whenever they play on the road like CC does and that therefore, if that occurs, those SC players have had the same effect as Clark on women's sports. She is the one who according to Dawn Staley has had the biggest impact on women's sports, not her team, not any of her players, but Caitlin Clark. Not just a "most popular attraction" but a transitional figure for the sport and by extension women's sports. You apparently think she hasn't had that impact so let's just leave it at that. Let me know the last time SC drew a 14 million or 12.5 million audience share- and Clark was not playing. Yikes.

Reaction Score
You want to see Iowa crushed? What has South Carolina done for women's basketball this year compared to Clark and Iowa? Are little girls standing in line after the games to get their signatures, photos, to wear their jerseys? After the UCONN v. Iowa game drew 14 million, you now want to see a one sided "crush"? I will tell you this. If Iowa wins, it will be the single most important moment in womens basketball and compel it into the arena of America's top favorite sports. Even a great close game may do that. I think that is in everyone's interest who is a true womens basketball fan.
Are little girls standing in line after the games to get their signatures, photos, to wear their jerseys? Yes. Yes, they were but the media was so hyperfocused on Clark so you rarely, if ever, got to see it. I am a true women's basketball fan and I can tell you it wasn't in my best interest that Iowa win. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
You are missing the point and taking it out of context and that is very unfair. It's not about fans in general, it's about little girls and the effect that the game is having on them for the first time. Both Clark and Paige are idols to them. I was very specific about that. That is not true of the SC players. I made the statement in reaction to a poster that said he wanted to see SC crush Iowa which I felt would not be good for the game after all the progress that was made this year including a record high 14 million viewers of UCONN v Iowa. If you are an SC fan or wanted to see such a result then you have company with that poster but I didn't. However, if there are 50 little girls lining up to get Cardoso's or someone else's autograph or photo after the SC games as I have seen this year in person for Paige in 3 different venues, then I stand corrected but I sincerely doubt that. You say you "suspect" that it happens in SC, so you don't know. Do yourself a favor. If you are going to quote someone, then either reply to the quote or put the whole quote in.
So, Clark and Paige are idols to little girls but none of the S. Carolina players are, huh? And you have the nerve to say someone was treating you unfairly in the comments. (SMH) I'm not going to waste my time here except to say, for starters, you should go listen to Paige's Espy speech from a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score

Definition of a front runner!

Reaction Score
I'm at odds with this poll because I'm so super proud of how far we've made it this year, considering the amount of injured players we had on our bench. Uconn had absolutely no business being in the Final 4, but we were there and almost beat Iowa in the process.

Reaction Score
So, Clark and Paige are idols to little girls but none of the S. Carolina players are, huh? And you have the nerve to say someone was treating you unfairly in the comments. (SMH) I'm not going to waste my time here except to say, for starters, you should go listen to Paige's Espy speech from a couple of years ago.

First of all, I never said that the SC players aren't idols to young girls. I said that I doubted that when they played away they had the same adoration that Caitlin had from opponent's young fans and also that no, and I mean no, other player has ever had the same impact on women's sports and women's basketball than Caitlin has had. Those aren't my words they are Dawn Staley's. If you want to argue or be offended by that statement that is your right but if you think that the 14 million people were tuning in to the NC game just to see SC then you for starters should read what objective experts are saying. I don't understand why it is so difficult to simply acknowledge the profound effect she has had which has and will benefit this game and women in general. Doing so does not detract from the achievements of other women at all, it rather serves to shed light on their accomplishments, many of whom in the past were unjustly overlooked as great athletes.

Reaction Score
I will correct myself on the basis of new numbers. The women's NC game final figures were at 19 million whereas the men's NC numbers were at 14.8 million, which numbers speak for themselves and totally validate the point above.

Reaction Score
Well since both can’t lose, I care more about the team that just beat UConn than the loss from months ago.
There is nothing to make us feel any better about the loss. It is what it is. UCONN had every opportunity to win that game, but they just couldn't find the energy to do so. I don't think we had any chance of beating South Carolina, and I felt the same about Iowa ( could not beat SC either ). Dawn's team this year was like some of the old UCONN champs ( Stewie's yers, for example). There was just no way.

But we have every reason to feel proud. This team got to the final four. No one thought they could. And they could have won that game.

Our future is fascinating. The commitment of Sarah Strong could begin a new era of great teams.

At this moment, we have 13 players ( assuming everyone can arrive in good health ) and I would look forward to seeing even single one of them play.

Reaction Score

Caitlin put whom on the map other than Iowa team? Iowa is far more popular than any other team? Laughable
Btw , you might not like Geno but if you don’t know and never heard about uconn and Geno, you will not be a lasting women’s college basketball fan.

Reaction Score
First of all, I never said that the SC players aren't idols to young girls. I said that I doubted that when they played away they had the same adoration that Caitlin had from opponent's young fans and also that no, and I mean no, other player has ever had the same impact on women's sports and women's basketball than Caitlin has had. Those aren't my words they are Dawn Staley's. If you want to argue or be offended by that statement that is your right but if you think that the 14 million people were tuning in to the NC game just to see SC then you for starters should read what objective experts are saying. I don't understand why it is so difficult to simply acknowledge the profound effect she has had which has and will benefit this game and women in general. Doing so does not detract from the achievements of other women at all, it rather serves to shed light on their accomplishments, many of whom in the past were unjustly overlooked as great athletes.
"You are missing the point and taking it out of context and that is very unfair. It's not about fans in general, it's about little girls and the effect that the game is having on them for the first time. Both Clark and Paige are idols to them. I was very specific about that. That is not true of the SC players." So, if you are not saying in that post that Caitlin and Paige are idols to young girls but that S.Carolina players are not then what did you mean there? And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said CC hasn't had a great impact on women's basketball. I know that she has brought many new eyes to the women's game. My comment wasn't about that.

Reaction Score
"You are missing the point and taking it out of context and that is very unfair. It's not about fans in general, it's about little girls and the effect that the game is having on them for the first time. Both Clark and Paige are idols to them. I was very specific about that. That is not true of the SC players." So, if you are not saying in that post that Caitlin and Paige are idols to young girls but that S.Carolina players are not then what did you mean there? And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said CC hasn't had a great impact on women's basketball. I know that she has brought many new eyes to the women's game. My comment wasn't about that.
The SC players have not had the same impact on young girls or the game on a broad based, national level that Caitlin and Paige have had. They, the SC players, may be idols locally or even statewide but not to the extent that Caitlin has been as the best example as stated by Coach Staley herself. You are trying to equate SC players with Caitlin by saying that they have young girls idolizing them too so therefore they have had the same impact on the game or are the same. That is a complete distortion of reality and the sea change in the sport caused by Caitlin Clark and I am sorry if you are offended by that fact.

Did any SC players chase and break Pete Maravich's record and draw national attention to them? Do any of them have the unique and incredible range that Clark has such that more than 5 million more viewers watched Iowa- SC than UCONN- Purdue? If you think those numbers are because of SC then look at the last time SC played in the championship game and what the viewership was.

Minimizing Clark's effect on young girls and the game and women's sports in general and equating the impact of other players, albeit national champions, with her impact is simply inaccurate. I don't understand why what Clark has accomplished is viewed as a threat to what other players have done or will do. What Clark has done has moved the game and women's athletics light years further along and the very players who you feel have been slighted are the ones who will benefit now and in the future, both financially and otherwise, because of what Clark has done. Best to just leave it alone.

Reaction Score
Well much of it has already happened, but lets see:

1. Getting Sarah Strong
2. Top players at other contenders declaring for the draft like Brink and Reese
3. Tara retiring so Geno can pass her
4. Two valuable roster spots opening up from our own departures
5. Two perfect solution candidates entering the portal in Beers and Iriafen
6. Many Uconn players following Beers
7. A picture of the husky dog from a poster known for leaking info on eminent portal transfers

That is a lot since our last game, but also one more on monday.

8. Aaliyah and Nika getting drafted as high or higher than expectations and to teams that would be a good fit.

OK those all make me feel better after the loss.

Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing. I would much rather have had UConn routed in the Final.....just wanted to have Paige beat Caitlin again. Nothing against her personally.....but prefer Paige winning.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom