Which conference will have the best Winning Percentage in the NCAAT | The Boneyard

Which conference will have the best Winning Percentage in the NCAAT

Which P6 Conference will have the best winning percentage when the tournament ends?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's where the proverbial "rubber meets the road" in what conference really exerts it's dominance over all comers. Among the P6 schools, we know that the Big Ten led the way with 4 teams hosting (7 teams total), SEC 3 hosts (7 total), ACC 3 hosts (8 total), PAC-12 3 hosts (7 teams total), Big East 2 hosts (5 total) and Big 12 1 host (6 total). Both WarrenNolan and Massey rank the conference strength (all the teams) as PAC, ACC, SEC, Big12, Big Ten, Big East.

Reaction Score
Here's where the proverbial "rubber meets the road" in what conference really exerts it's dominance over all comers. Among the P6 schools, we know that the Big Ten led the way with 4 teams hosting (7 teams total), SEC 3 hosts (7 total), ACC 3 hosts (8 total), PAC-12 3 hosts (7 teams total), Big East 2 hosts (5 total) and Big 12 1 host (6 total). Both WarrenNolan and Massey rank the conference strength (all the teams) as PAC, ACC, SEC, Big12, Big Ten, Big East.
That just looks stupid. One example the SEC was in no way the third best. Take away SCar and what do you have? LSU - who beat nobody but Tennessee - who almost every ranked team beat. That's just one example

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That just looks stupid. One example the SEC was in no way the third best. Take away SCar and what do you have? LSU - who beat nobody but Tennessee - who almost every ranked team beat. That's just one example
I completely agree as I don't know what the "black box" metrics are that determine the teams relevance. At least the SEC has SC, look at the Big 12, a whole lotta nuthin... Texas should not even be hosting as a top 16 seed. I would put it as PAC, Big Ten (though it's close for me!), ACC is 3rd, then the next SEC, Big 12 and Big East. Despite the strides that the BE made this year, I just don't think 2-5 they match up well with the SEC or Big 12 yet. Once OK and TX leave, all bets are off and the BE can pass that conference. I am currently thinking the SEC will rebound next year but I don't know enough of the middle teams to be certain.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting dynamic. Making some very general predictions/observations, my initial thoughts are:

1. Big Ten is probably best set up for having multiple teams make deep runs. Realistically Iowa/Indiana are strong F4 candidates, Maryland a strong Elite 8 choice and Ohio State a likely Sweet 16 team. Plus Michigan could upset LSU and I wouldn't be surprised. That's 5 of 7 with a strong chance of winning 2+ games. If we get 1 Final Four team, 3 Elite 8 squads, and 4 Sweet 16 teams that's 11 wins right there.

2. Big East. They have 5 teams in which means fewer losses for the conference, and they have UCONN that will probably be good for 4+ wins. Villanova making the Sweet 16 automatically puts them at 6 wins, and Creighton could definitely pull an upset over Notre Dame without Miles. Realistically this conference could surge to #1 if UCONN makes the title game and both of those squads make the Sweet 16. At that point the worst the conference does is 9-5.

3. Pac-12. Has 2 stronger teams likely to make at least the Sweet 16 with potential for an Elite 8/Final Four run (Utah/Stanford), UCLA whose peak is likely Sweet 16, and Washington State as a potential Sweet 16 squad. I think Stanford makes the Final Four, Utah and UCLA makes Sweet 16 giving them 8 wins and that number could rise.

4. SEC doesn't look very strong outside of South Carolina but I think there's a good shot they go 6-0. If LSU/Tennessee can make the Sweet 16, they'll be sitting well with 10 wins right there. If not, it's an uphill battle for the SEC.

5. ACC I think will have a weaker percentage. There are some good teams in the conference but I think it's a long shot any of them make the Final Four outside of VaTech, who will an underdog to UCONN should they meet. They also have the most number of teams, which means they'll have more losses than anyone else. Duke has had a great year but IMO is ripe for a 2nd round upset based on their offensive production the last several games, and I don't think Notre Dame makes it out of the second round without Miles.

6. Big 12 just hasn't been a strong conference this year. I still think there's decent potential though, as Texas/Oklahoma/Iowa State all have Sweet 16 potential.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

5. ACC I think will have a weaker percentage. There are some good teams in the conference but I think it's a long shot any of them make the Final Four outside of VaTech, who will an underdog to UCONN should they meet. They also have the most number of teams, which means they'll have more losses than anyone else. Duke has had a great year but IMO is ripe for a 2nd round upset based on their offensive production the last several games, and I don't think Notre Dame makes it out of the second round without Miles.

I see that two of the three ESPN experts are picking against Duke to make it to the sweet 16.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UConn's success will have a bigger effect on the percentage of the Big East than, say, Indiana's or South Carolina's would have on their conferences' percentages because of the smaller number of teams. I voted for the Big East.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
SEC 1-0
Big Ten 0-1

Kinda surprised me last night.
Me too. Big 10 showing in the Tourney is more dependent on Indiana, Iowa and Maryland, but Illinois losing by 14 to a mediocre SEC team was not a good opening salvo.

Reaction Score
Me too. Big 10 showing in the Tourney is more dependent on Indiana, Iowa and Maryland, but Illinois losing by 14 to a mediocre SEC team was not a good opening salvo.
SEC 1-0
Big Ten 0-1

Miss state looked good at end of year despite their dreadful SEC tourney. I think they have a good draw and could make sweet 16 if they play like they did at end of season.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I see that two of the three ESPN experts are picking against Duke to make it to the sweet 16.
While we all love your fandom, you can be honest with us that this current Duke squad simply does not have enough if any offense to make it to the Sweet 16. Their ACC Tournament output was putrid but that doesn't mean they didn't have one heck of a year.

Kara has two main objectives in the off-season:
1. Find some offense
2. Get the fans to turn out for this team as 2,278 fans per game was down from last years 3,018 and down from JPM's last season with 3.417. Think about that last stat, Kara was out-watched by 1,159 spectators per game by fans of JPM....If that doesn't get her competitive juices flowing, I don't know what will.

Reaction Score
Dang. My Big Ten is off to a rough start. Let's see what Purdue does against St. John's.

Reaction Score
I am surprised Massey has the Big Ten so low. The bottom of the conference must be really bad.

Reaction Score
SEC 1-0
Big Ten 0-1

I am not. The two games (SC and Tennessee) I actually watched of MSU I was impressed. MSU is deep and athletic. Illinois best post was a little banged up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mississippi State is like a lot of teams this year, when the shots are falling, they are winning. When the shots aren't falling, they are taking the loss. Congrats to Illinois and Coach Green. Great season. Something to build on for next year and the years to come.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every conference will have at least 1 fewer loss than total schools in the tournament, and as SC is the favorite, odds are that every conference except the SEC will have the same number of losses as teams. The best percentage could end up being a one bid conference that wins 2 games. ending up at 66%. The NEC is already guaranteed of a 50% record, and the Big10 is headed toward an 0-2 record at the moment.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Big Ten is now 0-2. SEC 1-0 and Big East 1-0 (barely)….

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Color me not impressed with the Big 10 so far. 2 losses in neutral site pick 'em type games. This is not how you go about solidifying your claim of being the best conference.

Reaction Score
Big Ten is now 0-2. SEC 1-0 and Big East 1-0 (barely)….
At this point “barely” matters. Go SEC.

I guess the best way to figure out the best conference is by adding all the numbers relating to what round they get to and dividing by the # of teams? So if the SEC had 32+16+16+64+1+4+4=121/7=17.3 Then do that with the other conferences and we’d get an idea. The lowest # would represent the best. You could only do that with conferences that had at least 5 teams to make the #s kind of work.

So right now the B10 has 68+68.

Reaction Score
I am not worried. My Big Ten conference teams made the tournament. Purdue showed up and played well only lost by two points to a pretty decent St. John's team. Illinois up and coming team. They were in the hunt until that 3rd quarter and then the wheels came off. It happens. I am still proud of the Big Ten. Mississippi State is a pretty decent team. Not sure why someone would a call a team that made the tournament "mediocre" but that is their opinion and I just move on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not sure why someone would a call a team that made the tournament "mediocre" but that is their opinion and I just move on.
That was me. I said that based on perusing their schedule. I see 1 quality win, by 1 point over Tennessee. The rest of their wins just don't do anything for me. Beating Alabama and Arkansas? Meh. Plus their last game before the NCAA Tourney was a horrible loss to Texas A&M.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kudos to Michigan. I watched part of that game, they had UNLV thoroughly stymied. It was close briefly at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, but most of the way Michigan was firmly in control. You have to do something right to win 30 games regardless of schedule, but UNLV didn't look ready for prime time.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten bounced back pretty well today. Maryland looked like we expected them to look. Michigan, not gonna lie, had me worried going into this matchup with UNLV. But they played well. UNLV was a hot team coming into the tournament and you never know. Michigan has been all over the place this season but today they showed up. Iowa looking like a team that was robbed of a spot and they are making it personal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom