What we learned about this UConn women’s basketball team in its 90-87 loss to Arkansas | The Boneyard

What we learned about this UConn women’s basketball team in its 90-87 loss to Arkansas

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After taking care of then-No. 18 DePaul with a 23-point win last month and rallying to beat then-No. 25 Tennessee by six last week, the Huskies earned their first loss of the season Thursday, falling 90-87 to No. 19 Arkansas on the road, learning a lot about themselves in the process.

Geno's Arkansas post game presser

UConn women’s basketball midseason report: What we know (and don’t know) about the No. 3 Huskies - By Doug Bonjour Jan 29

Troubles come in 3s - Carl Adamec Jan 29

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After taking care of then-No. 18 DePaul with a 23-point win last month and rallying to beat then-No. 25 Tennessee by six last week, the Huskies earned their first loss of the season Thursday, falling 90-87 to No. 19 Arkansas on the road, learning a lot about themselves in the process.

UConn women’s basketball midseason report: What we know (and don’t know) about the No. 3 Huskies - By Doug Bonjour Jan 29

Thanks for the post carnac! The 2nd 'link', "UCONN womens BB midseason report" won't allow us to read it w/o a subscription though. :)

Reaction Score
Or Kia Nurse. I was hoping that Evina would fill that role. There is still time.
I was thinking it would be Aubrey. She has all the tools to follow in the footsteps of Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, Kia Nurse, and Gabby Williams.

Reaction Score
Thanks LC, I addressed that problem. try it now. or use this link [link]
Thanks Carnac. That link worked. What a well written article that was from the CT Insider. It really displayed most of the same ideas we have seen from our Huskies as well. It really brought out the fact that we need Ono to 'find herself'. The article stated "She was better in the Huskies’ other big non-conference game (seven points and 11 rebounds against then-No. 25 Tennessee), but still far from dominant. And at this point in her career, 81 games in, she needs to be dominant against everyone, not just the lightweights of the Big East". That was 'spot on'.

Reaction Score

Aubrey has to make the open 15 footer.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Why was a defense so poor? How bout Liv getting in to foul trouble immediately and Edwards fouling out and Dungee not getting called for pushing off twice from what I could see. Im not blaming the refs Im stating a point of what I saw. With that said the middle was open.

With that said we learned when we've got players not hitting treys stop taking them. Griff is a really good player but not a good 3 pts shooter yet. Put somebody in to shoot the trey(Anna when available or Nika) and Griff in when we need her skills like defense rebounding and inside play. Liv needs to stay underneath and guard someone who cant shoot the trey. If her opponent goes outside let her go and stay underneath. Christyn when not hitting the trey dribble drive and attack the basket strong. Play to your strengths and stop trying to do things that arent working especially in a game like we had at Ark.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why was a defense so poor? How bout Liv getting in to foul trouble immediately and Edwards fouling out and Dungee not getting called for pushing off twice from what I could see. Im not blaming the refs Im stating a point of what I saw. With that said the middle was open.

With that said we learned when we've got players not hitting treys stop taking them. Griff is a really good player but not a good 3 pts shooter yet. Put somebody in to shoot the trey(Anna when available or Nika) and Griff in when we need her skills like defense rebounding and inside play. Liv needs to stay underneath and guard someone who cant shoot the trey. If her opponent goes outside let her go and stay underneath. Christyn when not hitting the trey dribble drive and attack the basket strong. Play to your strengths and stop trying to do things that arent working especially in a game like we had at Ark.

Hey Tonyc, it sounds like we had a "Vulcan mind-meld" moment, cause you're thinking exactly what I'm thinking. ;)

"How bout Dungee not getting called for pushing off twice from what I could see". Geno (who was going ballistic on the sidelines) and everyone watching on TV could see her pushing off. How could all 3 refs miss it? :confused: Players will do whatever and as much as the refs let them do. ALL players. They didn’t call it, so she kept doing it.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thanks Carnac. That link worked. What a well written article that was from the CT Insider. It really displayed most of the same ideas we have seen from our Huskies as well. It really brought out the fact that we need Ono to 'find herself'. The article stated "She was better in the Huskies’ other big non-conference game (seven points and 11 rebounds against then-No. 25 Tennessee), but still far from dominant. And at this point in her career, 81 games in, she needs to be dominant against everyone, not just the lightweights of the Big East". That was 'spot on'.
Interesting to me, every point in the article has already been covered in the BY by various posters. We have a wealth of talented posters some who I think could easily be writing the articles for the Current i.e. Old dude, Tony C and Carnac to mention a few.

Reaction Score

From the Doug Bonjour/CTInsider article:

WHAT WE STILL DON’T KNOW

Can ONO be trusted in big spots?

I'm afraid we do know that, and the answer is "No." She's half-way through her junior year. It is what it is, and it's not going to get us where we want to go. Oh, I'm sure she'll "bounce back" and have a great game tomorrow against the 5'9" Kramer Karate School Blue Demons. So what - zzzzzzzzz....

Let's focus on developing somebody (AE?) who might be able to help us in March.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Interesting to me, every point in the article has already been covered in the BY by various posters. We have a wealth of talented posters some who I think could easily be writing the articles for the Current i.e. Old dude, Tony C and Carnac to mention a few.
I agree. We do have some very talented and knowledgeable posters here. I'm humbled, thank you. ?

Reaction Score
We learned three things from the game:
1. To borrow a term from the pandemic, the curve is flattening. The talent disparities in WCBB that used to characterize the sport, and from which UCONN was long the beneficiary, are gradually evening out. Coaching is getting better,(see Kellie Harper, Mike Neighbors and many others), the recruiting pool is dramatically improving, more fan bases are getting into it. This is a very good thing.
2. As a result of the above, undefeated seasons, once uncommon in WCBB and almost unheard of in MCBB, will largely be a thing of the past.
3. No matter how talent-laden a team is, if it goes on the road against a quality opponent, and that opponent shoots lights out, especially from beyond the arc, they quite possibly may sustain a loss.
The conclusion? The game is improving and the loss ain't no big deal!

Reaction Score
One thing UConn is missing is a lock down defender, ala Kelly Ferris.
Aubry could be the lock down. But she has to learn to shoot. They took Nika out front to practice shooting, and Aubrey must step up. Paige hurt could not stop them from turning the corner.

Reaction Score
Heck! I think they should be our addition to scouting for HS talent! :):rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We learned this: ONO is no center and I wish we had a true center and that we had brought her along as a four (4). She doesn't have the mind set or temperament to be a center. Not her fault, but ... Help may come with the arrival of Amari DeBerry. Here is a kid who was in the trenchs against Amari and she didn't like it one bit:

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on offense:

Sure, at the end of the day, one has to hit the shots but to these eyes
an awful lot of our success late was the old one on one where Paige's unique talent came into play (and to some extent E)...rather than smartly run plays that got (say) Breanna reasonably makable ones, back in the day.

Christyn's 3-point woes have been noted but she also missed a bunch of makable 2-point pull-ups as well, shots that she needs to make if we're going to win...or at least if we're going to count on her. 7 for 17 is far from terrible but one recalls most of the makes, early and most of the misses late.

I think its a mistake to count on Nika to be a 3-point threat, this early in her career...better to encourage her in the direction of hard nosed D...an area in which she could really help.

And I'm sure the staff is working with Edwards to find ways to keep her in the game...Her BB, instincts including offense (other than Bull in the China shop mentality) are excellent...I expect her to gradually improve in this area.

If one looks at the box score and tries to find statistical reasons for winning or losing...The Razorbacks took four more shots than us ...in a one-possession game where a lot is going in, that's significant...Why...because we had 15 turnovers to their 9, most of ours were by our two bigs.

I would not be surprised to see the elements noted above among the areas Geno is working on...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the post carnac! The 2nd 'link', "UCONN womens BB midseason report" won't allow us to read it w/o a subscription though. :)
Try googling "Hartford Courant." Click to bring up the website, go to "sports," read the article.

Reaction Score
Or Gabby Williams. That team had two lockdown defenders.
And then there was the Great Wall of Kiah Stokes . . . (Stewie, too, was an ace defender.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom