What we learned about this UConn women’s basketball team in its 90-87 loss to Arkansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What we learned about this UConn women’s basketball team in its 90-87 loss to Arkansas

Reaction Score
The problem with ONO is ONO. She has the talent and developed new skills. She lacks one thing that would make her outstanding and one of the best in the sport. That one thing is: THE KILLER INSTINCT TO PLAY WITH A PASSION THAT CANNOT BE MATCHED BY HER OPPOSITON AND THE COMPOSURE AND POISE TO EXECUTE HER GAME WITHOUT BECOMING A FOULING MACHINE. Other than that she is a good player. Edwards on the other hand is not afraid to mix it up. She just needs to learn how to do it without fouling everyone in her way like Tuck and Pheesa.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We learned this: ONO is no center and I wish we had a true center and that we had brought her along as a four (4). She doesn't have the mind set or temperament to be a center. Not her fault, but ... Help may come with the arrival of Amari DeBerry. Here is a kid who was in the trenchs against Amari and she didn't like it one bit:

I hope Amari brings some attitude (aggressiveness), bite and a touch of “Junk Yard Dogg” with her when she arrives on campus this June. That will be some baggage I bet her teammates won’t mind helping her unpack. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on offense:

Sure, at the end of the day, one has to hit the shots but to these eyes
an awful lot of our success late was the old one on one where Paige's unique talent came into play (and to some extent E)...rather than smartly run plays that got (say) Breanna reasonably makable ones, back in the day.

Christyn's 3-point woes have been noted but she also missed a bunch of makable 2-point pull-ups as well, shots that she needs to make if we're going to win...or at least if we're going to count on her. 7 for 17 is far from terrible but one recalls most of the makes, early and most of the misses late.

I think its a mistake to count on Nika to be a 3-point threat, this early in her career...better to encourage her in the direction of hard nosed D...an area in which she could really help.

And I'm sure the staff is working with Edwards to find ways to keep her in the game...Her BB, instincts including offense (other than Bull in the China shop mentality) are excellent...I expect her to gradually improve in this area.

If one looks at the box score and tries to find statistical reasons for winning or losing...The Razorbacks took four more shots than us ...in a one-possession game where a lot is going in, that's significant...Why...because we had 15 turnovers to their 9, most of ours were by our two bigs.

I would not be surprised to see the elements noted above among the areas Geno is working on...
I'm scatching my head thinking I've gone senile, unable to recall Nika! I agree with much of what you say, but to have Nika be a reasonable 3 ball threat (and I think she already is) really helps keep the defense frompacking ONO's offensive territory. Guards can really disrupt or turn her over if she puts the ball on the floor or holds it for the taking.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope Amari brings some attitude (aggressiveness), bite and a touch of “Junk Yard Dogg” with her when she arrives on campus this June. That will be some baggage I bet her teammates won’t mind helping her unpack. :)
I put up a video up above of a kid who did not enjoy playing against Amari which suggests she's got what you and a lot of others want. I'm one of those others.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I put up a video up above of a kid who did not enjoy playing against Amari which suggests she's got what you and a lot of others want. I'm one of those others.
Thanks, I saw that video. It's what inspired me to write that comment. :)

Reaction Score
In regards to Olivia, I can only hope she can turn it around just like how Tina Charles did towards the end of her junior year. Once Tina figured it out, there was no stopping her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In regards to Olivia, I can only hope she can turn it around just like how Tina Charles did towards the end of her junior year. Once Tina figured it out, there was no stopping her.
She didn't today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom