What was learned from the regionals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What was learned from the regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An interesting point, but I have to respond ... No. This is not new territory for her she has spent the last 5 or more years being the superstar on every team she has been on. In fact playing for Uconn this past weekend is the new territory - Uconn won when she wasn't playing her best (and she didn't play as badly as she did in the whole mid-section of last year when Uconn was still winning most of their games.) No idea what happened this weekend, could have been a bad bed in the hotel for all I know. I think the pressure she puts on herself is greater than anything she gets from outside and given her consistency this year I think it was an aberration that will be righted this week in practice - maybe a few one on ones with CD at 5:30 AM.
I see your point Uc, but everyone has a limit. The kid's barely out of her teens.
Anyway, I have no doubt that she'll be a factor when it counts the most.

Reaction Score
What does the three point average of past teams have to do with the current team?

To indicate that even great shooters and great teams can go cold at the wrong time, UConn no exception. and that two of these untimely cold shooting Final Four performances came against Stanford. Statistically, one year has nothing to do with another, you are absolutely right to call me on it. However, history, as the saying goes, tends to repeat itself.

Reaction Score
They always fly by- it's such a letdown!

GENO: tell it! Ain't that the truth! Was just looking at my pocket UCONN schedule today and thinking, "Man , that was quick.....and that marks another several months of LIFE itself flying by as well." Guess the thing is to keep havin fun and trying to do some good things for folks.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
GENO: tell it! Ain't that the truth! Was just looking at my pocket UCONN schedule today and thinking, "Man , that was quick.....and that marks another several months of LIFE itself flying by as well." Guess the thing is to keep havin fun and trying to do some good things for folks.
We are getting a bit mushy, but between working hard, playing hard(fly fishing) , quality family time ,and UConn womens B ball is one of the things we all love!!!
There are worse things in life!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think this season in particular has flown by quickly because it was evident early in the season that the championship was a 2 horse race between Connecticut and Maryland. Since Notre Dame won by 16 at Tennessee it was pretty clear that Connecticut/Notre Dame were head and shoulders above everyone else. As a result, the focus of women's college basketball since then has been on the potential match up of these 2 powerhouses in the championship game.

I think overall it has been a down year for women's college basketball compared to years past. Outside of UCONN/Notre Dame, there haven't been any other consistent teams this year. It's rare you see nearly every top 10 team have 1-2 really bad losses throughout the season. Outside of the Maryland-Notre Dame game, and Baylor-Connecticut, no one has challenged the top dogs.
On the other side of it, it's worth pointing out that Notre Dame and Connecticut are both truly exceptional teams this year. I believe both teams are vastly improved compared to a year ago and have earned their right to be considered "one of the best teams ever" even though only one of them will take home the trophy. The clear separation of Notre Dame/UCONN and the rest of college basketball has made this season predictable, and I think most people have been waiting for the epic showdown on April 8th rather than the focusing on the rest of the season.

There were some other good headlines this season (ex. who deserved 1 seeds, how good/not good was the SEC, how good was Louisville, Sims chasing Stiles, Chiney breaking the Pac-12 record), but at the end of the day there were really only 2 teams that anyone could see winning the championship so hopefully we'll get the matchup everyone is dying to see.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think overall it has been a down year for women's college basketball compared to years past. Outside of UCONN/Notre Dame, there haven't been any other consistent teams this year.

Funny - I had just the opposite reaction - I thought it was an UP year BECAUE of the upsets and unpredictability. I guess I'm thinking there's more talent spread around, some of the under-the-radar coaches are struttin' their stuff, and so on. Parity (expect for the freaks that were ND and UConn.) It used to be you could get a win simply because you had better athletes (oh, how Geno has railed about that)... not so easy this season. You don' t play a complete game - mental and physical, you got took down....

Reaction Score
[Muffet] "...and now we're back to that underdog role that we did so well in."
I can not believe she actually said that.
Come on, admit it, you can -

Besides, it's got to go better for her than that Overdog thing did last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom