What was learned from the regionals | The Boneyard

What was learned from the regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Feel free to comment/criticize away. Just some observations that stuck out to me that I thought I'd share.

1. The refs in this tournament have been simply awful. The Notre Dame game was a disaster, I also thought Louisville got the short end of the stick on 90% of the calls in their game tonight. Hopefully it will be better in the Final Four.

2. It will take a miracle for Stanford to be able to compete with Connecticut next weekend. Ogwumike's bread and butter is sealing off her defender, creating space and getting an uncontested layup. This will not work against UCONN's post trio. Additionally, Samuelson is not going to get wide open looks like she's had all tournament long, and I don't really see anybody capable of putting up big numbers against UCONN. On the flip side, UCONN put up 83 on Stanford earlier this year, and that was with Jefferson, Dolson, Stewart and KML combining to shoot 9-29 from the floor.

3. Natalie Achonwa proved herself to be one of the best players in the nation. In the two regional games, she averaged 21 points, 11 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3 blocks. She has the size and strength to bang down low, excels at making timely passes to open teammates for good looks and finishes around the rim (16-22 FG). She is the only player Notre Dame couldn't afford to lose. It's a shame her collegiate playing career ended the way it did, she was playing her best basketball and led her team to the Final Four with a 36-0 record. I'm not sure how Notre Dame responds without her.

4. Shoni Schimmel and Meighan Simmons are the two most up and down players in the NCAA. One night, they can carry their team with a huge scoring output and lead their team to victory. Any other night, they can't throw the ball into the ocean yet will continue to jack up bad shot after bad shot. For Simmons, her poor shot selection/failure to involve teammates led to an early exit in the Sweet 16. For Schimmel, her hot hand had Louisville in a great spot at halftime against Maryland. She went ice cold in the second half, continued to jack up bad shots and turned the ball over. Maryland got a big lead and at the end she went on a rampage, nailing three straight incredibly difficult three pointers in the last 30 seconds to give Louisville a chance before missing a wide open look at the buzzer to tie the game.

5. UCONN can play their "C" level of basketball for a half and still win by 15-20 no problem. Their interior size makes it virtually impossible for opponents to score around the basket. The only way a team is going to score 60+ on UCONN will be if they can spread the floor, hit mid range/perimeter jumpers and have great ball movement.

6. Jewel Loyd quietly had the best weekend of any player in my opinion. 20 points, 12 boards, 3 assists and 0 TOs in the regional semi, then had 30 points and 5 rebounds in the regional final. She has somehow flown under the radar this year (McBride has earned more attention for Notre Dame's success, and Stewart has received a lot more publicity for being the best sophomore in the nation) but this weekend Loyd proved to us she is a match up nightmare. She can hit perimeter shots, beat you off the dribble, hit pull up jumpers, finish in traffic at the rim and she excels as a rebounder and a defender. Even without Achonwa, as long as Loyd/McBride are on, Notre Dame will be tough out.

7. Diamond Deshields is going to be really really good if North Carolina becomes disciplined. She is incredibly talented, plays under control and will be a contender for POY the rest of her career. Diamond does a really good job of trying to involve her teammates when she could take open shots herself. I thought she was too unselfish tonight but if North Carolina becomes more disciplined (which honestly I don't think will happen), I think Diamond will emerge as one of the nation's best and UNC could become a title contender.

8. Alaina Coates will be an All-American for years to come. She has a great frame to play in the post. She reminds me a bit of Kia Vaughn when Vaughn had her great sophomore season at Rutgers. Big, strong, physical post player who can block shots and finish around the rim. I think she'll see more playing time next season and will emerge as South Carolina's go to player (unless Wilson chooses SC.)

9. Maryland does not handle full court pressure well. They had multiple turnovers from Louisville's full court pressure in the final minutes--if I'm Notre Dame or Connecticut, I'd defend Maryland the length of the court for 40 minutes. With defenders like Loyd and Jefferson, I think they could easily rattle Maryland's offense and force many turnovers.

10. After all the hoopla about Louisville getting robbed for a 2 seed/1 seed by the NCAA committee, they still finished the season without a win against a top 6 seeded team. They were dominant against teams that didn't make the tourney or were seeded 6th and lower (33-0) but never proved themselves against ranked foes (0-5 vs. teams seeded 4th and higher.) How good of a team Louisville was this season still remains a mystery to me.

Anyway, was fun to watch most of the regionals this year, looking forward to the Final Four and hopefully a showdown between Notre Dame and Connecticut.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Very nice post
A lot to agree with.
Jewel Loyd is no surprise to me and should not be to anyone who has watched ND games this season.
Her physical ability is similar to Stewie (in a different frame of course).
She is an absolutely remarkable athlete and a pleasure to watch…as long as she's destroying someone else.

Reaction Score
1. It has been very interesting reading the posts and noting how often actual and variations of the words disciplined, athletic, smart, and well coached are used and for whom the words describe.
2. The committee cannot be faulted for their seedings. The best teams usually emerge regardless of where they are seeded. Sometimes a better team will run into an unfavorable matchup or catch a team on a hot night. That's the game. The best teams emerged from each region. Had North Carolina won, very few would be able to argue against their worthiness. They play a style of basketball with which many here take exception. Does anyone really believe they would be better off playing differently?
3. Can we begin to discuss players like Diamond DeShields in terms of being a good basketball player instead of being a good athlete?
4. I do not expect Coach Frese's critics to remain silent in their criticisms, but let's give credit where it is due. She has taken another team to a Final Four and beat a well regarded Louisville team in doing so.
5. North Carolina put WCBB on notice. Getting to the Elite Eight this year was a nice step.
6. Next year will be interesting. UConn will be great with formidable challengers on the horizon such as Carolina, DePaul, Texas A&M, South Carolina, and LSU.
7. Louisville's loss has little to nothing to do with Coach Walz and his preparation. He is an excellent coach. What I liked most, believe it or not, was his reaction to Schimmel's last second shot falling off the mark. He had her back, supported her all the way.
8. I am far from being a basketball purist. I love showmanship. I enjoy watching those willing and able to play outside the realm of conformity. I love creativity and will live with a few turnovers.
9. This is still UConn's tournament to lose.
10. I do not like Notre Dame's chances, but know better than to discount them. I have been vehemently rooting against them since 1966 and have had my heart broken more often than I have celebrated.
11. There were many who did not think much of Baylor's chances at the start of the season; Who felt that the program would be obsolete with the graduation of Brittney Griner. They proved to be a very good team.
12. I do not believe there is a viable solution to regionals being played in non neutral sites. with the recent success of the men's regionals at Madison Square Garden, the thought of having a WCBB regional at the Garden is quite intriguing. The Maggie Dixon classic has drawn well there...
13. Coach Blair's statements concern me. He has seen it, lived it. Cannot be easily dismissed.
14. I am wholeheartedly disheartened by the recent hiring at Louisiana Tech; Especially in light of the firing that made it possible.
15. As disheartened as I am by Louisiana Tech's coaching change, there is an imminent coaching change that has me contemplating a user name to VAGopherFan.
16. I want to see full houses in Indianapolis.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Someone was touting DD on another thread as the most phenomenal athlete in women's basketball. I happen to love our own freakish athlete Moriah a lot, but I think Loyd is another just incredible athlete. They are each very different players but at the smaller end of women's basketball they are phenoms. Loyd and Moriah both had the advantage of coming into very structured environments with good upper class leadership and great coaching and I think they are both better for it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the original post, although I think the ref situation was mostly the one game; I thought they just missed / messed up some calls tonight, but not of the magnitude or consistency of the bad refereeing of the Baylor / ND game.

I find the comment on UConn's dominance realistic - and totally depressing. I have spoken to a number of folks who believe that for the next few years, teams are most likely playing for 2nd place - a few are abandoning their tickets because of this, although most still will root for their teams, just acknowledging the "National Flag Blue" ceiling.

And - like the OP - I don't know how good Louisville really was, exactly, but pretty good for sure.

I also like a lot of VAU's post, although I do believe the committee can be faulted for the seeding. It has nothing to do with who wins, upsets happen. I don't think there is any "right" answer to the seeding, but someones judgement can't be reverse based on results.

As to the Regionals, they are going to be going back to "semi" neutral sites, arenas that are not team's homes but of course could be quite local (like Bridgeport for UConn). Will be interesting to compare attendance to this year's non-neutral sites.

I don't disagree with the sadness of the undeserved firing at LaTech, but I don't have quite as negative opinion of the hire as you do.

Still, very astute observations by both of you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As to the Regionals, they are going to be going back to "semi" neutral sites, arenas that are not team's homes but of course could be quite local (like Bridgeport for UConn). Will be interesting to compare attendance to this year's non-neutral sites.

Next years Regional sites...Albany, Greensboro, OKC, and Sacramento. UCONN fans should already book hotels for Albany. I've said previously that the #1 Seed in Greensboro will be a fight between UNC, The Lady Vols, USCarolina, and Notre Dame. Regardless... I'll be in attendance.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The superb posts in this thread reflect some keen thinking by those who wrote them. It is difficult, possibly even presumptuous, to append comments without repetitive use of the word, "concur."

But let me try.

Several of the teams we have watched recently have one "elite" player (formerly "star," "all-star," "superstar," "go-to player," "franchise," or "icon"). Ogwumike, Simmons, Schimmel, Sims, DeShields, and Thomas come quickly to mind.

It doesn't seem to be quite enough, even though Stanford and Maryland are still in the running. Schimmell and Simmons are both such high volume shooters (and frequent missers) that they keep both their team and their opponents in their games. On the other hand, Sims discovered Davis, Thomas was fortunate to have Brown emerge, and Chiney gets good support from Orrange. DeShields is victimized by the unfortunate coaching situation at UNC -- Sylvia's assistant doesn't appear to match up well against Gary, Muffet, Geno, Tara et al. (I may add Brenda to this mix once she trains her players to cease tossing the ball so often to the players in white jerseys.)

Achonwa's injury was simply tragic. The officiating in the ND/Baylor game was atrocious, generally acceptable otherwise (a few bad or missed calls, to be sure, but well short of the atrocious standard). I can't wait to watch how the Loyd vs. Jefferson confrontation/matchup plays out, if it occurs.

Iadmire Brenda for a great motivating line, with that catchy "They will know our name!' theme. And I credit Muffet for creativity for declaring her (undefeated and still with McBride and Loyd) team now as "underdogs."

And I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Next years Regional sites...Albany, Greensboro, OKC, and Sacramento. UCONN fans should already book hotels for Albany. I've said previously that the #1 Seed in Greensboro will be a fight between UNC, The Lady Vols, USCarolina, and Notre Dame. Regardless... I'll be in attendance.
Nd is only marginally closer to gboro. I can see them going to OKc.

Reaction Score
Great post ballnut. I pretty much agree with all of this except the speculation about the next few years. Not to say we won't be successful, but NSs, hmmm. not so easy. I believe we will pay for our one recruit year and our lack of height if Morgan doesn't return to her potential. I expect a lot of heat on this, but I just think the game is changing favoring bigger athletes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And I credit Muffet for creativity for declaring her (undefeated and still with McBride and Loyd) team now as "underdogs."

And I like our chances.

Wait. Muffet declared ND is now the underdog? When did she say that?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nd is only marginally closer to gboro. I can see them going to OKc.

I can see that as well. My reasoning was that if say ND wins the ACC tourney in Greensboro.. and is the #2 overall seed... I can see the committee rewarding them by giving them a chance to go back to familiar and friendly territory. Im sure the area hotels and restaurants would prefer Tennesee over any other school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Televised interview yesterday.

Thanks. I missed it. I read an interview in which she said all the right things ("someone will need to step up," "we won't feel sorry for ourselves," etc.). She does like occupying that underdog space, though. Strange.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thanks. I missed it. I read an interview in which she said all the right things ("someone will need to step up," "we won't feel sorry for ourselves," etc.). She does like occupying that underdog space, though. Strange.
Wish I could remember during what game the interview was so I could see if I had it recorded. IIRC, she said that she doesn't just "like" the underdog moniker, she said her team can now "embrace" the underdog position. I'm sure that's a misquote, but she was definitely putting forth the new mantra/PR campaign. I'll bet ESPN had put together the theme books for the announcer teams already.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wish I could remember during what game the interview was so I could see if I had it recorded. IIRC, she said that she doesn't just "like" the underdog moniker, she said her team can now "embrace" the underdog position. I'm sure that's a misquote, but she was definitely putting forth the new mantra/PR campaign. I'll bet ESPN had put together the theme books for the announcer teams already.

Muffet and Brenda will be competing for the label, on and off the court.

Reaction Score
One thing I realized watching some of these teams play is that UConn winning X number of titles or games in a row is not a foregone conclusion as many optimists assumed. UConn doesn't have the killer instinct of past teams, and it's obvious the talent pool has increased even in the last five years with a lot of good players out there going to different teams. It's good for the game, but as fans of the most dominating program, not so much.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Well, if Stewie comes roaring back, it's totally all over for everyone.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have a few comments to add to this excellent, well thought out thread. I may start a separate thread with some thoughts on Achonwa, which are different from others.

But I have these thoughts on Conference realignment: Maryland should do very well in the Big 10. They seem much better than any team currently in the Big 10, even without their AA. And Louisville will struggle in the ACC, unless they have a great recruiting class.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The superb posts in this thread reflect some keen thinking by those who wrote them. It is difficult, possibly even presumptuous, to append comments without repetitive use of the word, "concur."

But let me try.

Several of the teams we have watched recently have one "elite" player (formerly "star," "all-star," "superstar," "go-to player," "franchise," or "icon"). Ogwumike, Simmons, Schimmel, Sims, DeShields, and Thomas come quickly to mind.

It doesn't seem to be quite enough, even though Stanford and Maryland are still in the running. Schimmell and Simmons are both such high volume shooters (and frequent missers) that they keep both their team and their opponents in their games. On the other hand, Sims discovered Davis, Thomas was fortunate to have Brown emerge, and Chiney gets good support from Orrange. DeShields is victimized by the unfortunate coaching situation at UNC -- Sylvia's assistant doesn't appear to match up well against Gary, Muffet, Geno, Tara et al. (I may add Brenda to this mix once she trains her players to cease tossing the ball so often to the players in white jerseys.)

Achonwa's injury was simply tragic. The officiating in the ND/Baylor game was atrocious, generally acceptable otherwise (a few bad or missed calls, to be sure, but well short of the atrocious standard). I can't wait to watch how the Loyd vs. Jefferson confrontation/matchup plays out, if it occurs.

Iadmire Brenda for a great motivating line, with that catchy "They will know our name!' theme. And I credit Muffet for creativity for declaring her (undefeated and still with McBride and Loyd) team now as "underdogs."

And I like our chances.

"Sylvia's assistant"--Andrew Caldwell--took a team of mostly freshman and sophomore that could have lost in the first round of the tournament to the Elite 8 and was up 1 on Stanford's home court with 4min to go. I'd say UNC had an excellent season, and while he kept saying how inadequate he was without Hatchell, I'd say he did an excellent job in a very difficult situation.

Reaction Score
Well, if Stewie comes roaring back, it's totally all over for everyone.

May I add one more thing we should have learned from this and other posts?

Breanna Stuart is a superstar Basketball player. She is not a Goddess as all the writers and award presenters have made her in the press, the magazine covers, etc. Even at half time during the St. Joe's game [I think] when Stef was asked what the problem was, my beloved favorite blurted out the doltsome comment that "Breanna needs to play better". What about the rest of the team?

Could it be that all of this has mounted such huge pressure on Breanna that it affects her game?

Reaction Score
We are beatable. Vulnerability to short jumpers in the paint and playing like our "hair's on fire" could sink us.
(but don't bet on it)

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Jewel Lloyd will fly under the radar no longer. She is having her coming out moment just like Stewie did last year. She is someone to reckon with, certainly. But man, that is going to be a game between the Terps and the Irish.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Feel free to comment/criticize away. Just some observations that stuck out to me that I thought I'd share.

1. The refs in this tournament have been simply awful. The Notre Dame game was a disaster, I also thought Louisville got the short end of the stick on 90% of the calls in their game tonight. Hopefully it will be better in the Final Four.
Agree - However, the worst ref'd game I have seen so far was the St. Johns v USC game in round one. 54 fouls called(more than the ND v Baylor game)

2. It will take a miracle for Stanford to be able to compete with Connecticut next weekend. Ogwumike's bread and butter is sealing off her defender, creating space and getting an uncontested layup. This will not work against UCONN's post trio. Additionally, Samuelson is not going to get wide open looks like she's had all tournament long, and I don't really see anybody capable of putting up big numbers against UCONN. On the flip side, UCONN put up 83 on Stanford earlier this year, and that was with Jefferson, Dolson, Stewart and KML combining to shoot 9-29 from the floor.
I think the game will be competitive, barring foul trouble on either team(see subject #1). By the way the last time that Stanford played UConn in the final 4 was back in 2010. UConn won the OOC game that year 80-68 and won the NC game 53-47. Both teams have developed since the earlier game this season. Also, who is going to be guarding Samuelson?

3. Natalie Achonwa proved herself to be one of the best players in the nation. In the two regional games, she averaged 21 points, 11 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3 blocks. She has the size and strength to bang down low, excels at making timely passes to open teammates for good looks and finishes around the rim (16-22 FG). She is the only player Notre Dame couldn't afford to lose. It's a shame her collegiate playing career ended the way it did, she was playing her best basketball and led her team to the Final Four with a 36-0 record. I'm not sure how Notre Dame responds without her.
I am not sure how ND responds either. Any chance she can try and do a Willis Reed game if ND makes it past Maryland

4. Shoni Schimmel and Meighan Simmons are the two most up and down players in the NCAA. One night, they can carry their team with a huge scoring output and lead their team to victory. Any other night, they can't throw the ball into the ocean yet will continue to jack up bad shot after bad shot. For Simmons, her poor shot selection/failure to involve teammates led to an early exit in the Sweet 16. For Schimmel, her hot hand had Louisville in a great spot at halftime against Maryland. She went ice cold in the second half, continued to jack up bad shots and turned the ball over. Maryland got a big lead and at the end she went on a rampage, nailing three straight incredibly difficult three pointers in the last 30 seconds to give Louisville a chance before missing a wide open look at the buzzer to tie the game.
Both players have I's and Me's in their name..........probably just a coincidence

5. UCONN can play their "C" level of basketball for a half and still win by 15-20 no problem. Their interior size makes it virtually impossible for opponents to score around the basket. The only way a team is going to score 60+ on UCONN will be if they can spread the floor, hit mid range/perimeter jumpers and have great ball movement.
If that is your thinking then my guess is you have been living or visiting the states of Colorado or Washington quite often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom