What to make of Gaffney? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What to make of Gaffney?

Reaction Score
Certainly - this Nova game was one of his better games as a Husky. He was a large reason we were in the game in the end.

However, at the end of the day, you need a PG that is cool, calm & collected in crucial moments of games. He was not. There’s a lot of evidence to support this viewpoint.
There's also some pretty strong evidence that this had more to do with where he was at mentally last season, which was undeniably a downward spiral, than an overall attribute of his game.

In '18-'19, Alterique was actually often the guy who made the biggest plays late in the game. He made the shots that beat USF on the day they retired Ray's number, combined with Jalen to ice the Cuse win at MSG, made back-to-back absolutely huge shots to send the game at Cincy to OT (Gilbert hits tough shot to send Huskies into OT - ESPN Video) and hit back-to-back 3s that would have sent the Wichita game to OT if they didn't answer with a crazy buzzer-beater (Shockers shock UConn with buzzer beater - ESPN Video). (Remember: there weren't that many close games that year, we were still clilmbing that mountain)

This was an exact quote from Dan Hurley about Gilbert after the Wichita St. game:

“I love to coach guys that play their best at the end of the game,” Hurley said. “Like, real ballers, in the last five, six minutes, they score field goals in close games. Those are guys that have the clutch gene.”

It ended abruptly when he got clobbered in the eye by some Temple player and that ended his season, but there was a feeling definitely a feeling that good things would happen late if Gilbert had the ball in his hands. Something clearly changed around the Xavier game last year and spiraled from there, and again, why it was best for everyone for him to move on.

Reaction Score
There's also some pretty strong evidence that this had more to do with where he was at mentally last season, which was undeniably a downward spiral, than an overall attribute of his game.

In '18-'19, Alterique was actually often the guy who made the biggest plays late in the game. He made the shots that beat USF on the day they retired Ray's number, combined with Jalen to ice the Cuse win at MSG, made back-to-back absolutely huge shots to send the game at Cincy to OT (Gilbert hits tough shot to send Huskies into ESPN Video) and hit back-to-back 3s that would have sent the Wichita game to OT if they didn't answer with a crazy buzzer-beater (Shockers shock UConn with buzzer beater - ESPN Video). (Remember: there weren't that many close games that year, we were still clilmbing that mountain)

This was an exact quote from Dan Hurley about Gilbert after the Wichita St. game:

“I love to coach guys that play their best at the end of the game,” Hurley said. “Like, real ballers, in the last five, six minutes, they score field goals in close games. Those are guys that have the clutch gene.”

It ended abruptly when he got clobbered in the eye by some Temple player and that ended his season, but there was a feeling definitely a feeling that good things would happen late if Gilbert had the ball in his hands. Something clearly changed around the Xavier game last year and spiraled from there, and again, why it was best for everyone for him to move on.

Alright. He's not the missing piece. That's all. We will be fine. Cole and Gaffney have their limitations but both will be okay.

Reaction Score
He shot what 10 for the year at that point. Not exactly a huge sample.
Many years ago, UConn had a 6'9" inch power forward, Larry Blucher. The guy was maybe a 50% free throw shooter. But, he made both free throws at the Carrier Dome and we won the game. So, percentages aside, you make what you need to make when you need to make them.

On to the next game, whenever it happens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good Lord, what a thread.

Answering @superjohn’s actual question, I think he’s trying too hard to avoid mistakes. He watched Gilbert play recklessly. So Gaff slows down, makes few turnovers but also slows the whole offense down. He’s not generating anything because to play the way he’s playing he needs to be able to feed Kareem or Ewing.

This team is best on offense when attacking at speed. When we don’t let the defense get set. Cole plays faster, but isn’t the distributor Gaffney is. He’s also too short to be effective in the paint. Gaff is actually pretty good down there, but is reluctant. He needs both confidence and a green light from Hurley. He needs to know that he can be aggressive and make mistakes. I think you will see him “get it” eventually and become comfortable playing fast.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Cole hadn't missed a free throw until this game.
He hadn’t even attempted a free throw since the first half of the central game coming into the game, which is part of his problem right now. He isn’t confident going to the basket he has become a one trick pony, the set 3(which I don’t mind him taking). He did a better job this game getting to the line but then missed those 2 which again probably killed his confidence. Now we have a damn 10 day layoff for it to marinate. We need to get back to playing regularly.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
True.

Reminds me of a quote a chef friend of mine once said.

"A chef is only as good as his last meal."

People remember the last thing somebody did. The last meal, the last remark, the last foul shot. Not necessarily fair to the person, but the way life is often.

People think Donyell sucked?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I hate these “if only we had the guy who left/the guy who decided not to come here” threads. Not a single person can definitively say how that missing guy would fit, or how he would play if only what didn’t happen happened.

You dance with the date you have, not the one that got away.

Reaction Score
Still say end of last season Gafney was the man As a coach you don't change something that's a winner.. Go back to him being the starter at Pg and have Cole come off the bench.
Bouk at the 2 Akok TM and Whaley.
Would not be too bad if Gaf and JR played together at times.
Gafney needs to run the team but be more aggressive.
Gafney can do more sees the floor better is a better finisher due to his size.
Gafney makes his free throws in the clutch. Does all the right things in the clutch to win games as proven by the end of last season.
Let Cole play the 2 and be a spot up shooter not get swallowed up inside like AG did last year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It’s odd to say, but RJ being brought into the program carrying the stamp of “grestness” from senior Hurley has disrupted rather than improved the team. At leader for the beginning of the season while he’s finding his way.

ifRJ hadn’t been signed, thus team would’ve had a carryover of Gaffney running the point from last year. The starting five, and sub rotation, would’ve been cemented and the play of everyone improved.

Now they’re a team with a scoring guard playing PG, and shooting like a scorer , but not putting the ball in the basket like a scorer.

If RJ ever plays like advertised then the plan will work. But right now, his taking a starting position has been disruptive to what should’ve been great chemistry on the floor.
I think you expressed something here that is very insightful. It's like what's the plan? ..............wait a minute let's try this (offense) and there is a lack of cohesion. I recall last year Gaffney bringing solid minutes and settling down a lot of helter skelter play. I can imagine the pressure he must be feeling competing against the more experienced player and the play of both seems to be confused. It's nice to have bodies to throw in for defensive pressure but the offense seems to suffer with a lack of continuity. Hoping this plays out because RJ has another year and we have another highly rated guard coming in. I wonder if having Cole come off the bench for a spark like John Gwynn would be a more stabilizing move over the long haul.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
A brooch a hat a pterodactyl
johnny2.gif

Reaction Score
If anyone’s watching this Celtics game, Pritchard is playing exactly what we need Gaffney to play like

Reaction Score
If anyone’s watching this Celtics game, Pritchard is playing exactly what we need Gaffney to play like
that would be nice but gaff isnt winning the Bob Cousy award for best PG in the country any time soon

Reaction Score
I think you expressed something here that is very insightful. It's like what's the plan? ..............wait a minute let's try this (offense) and there is a lack of cohesion. I recall last year Gaffney bringing solid minutes and settling down a lot of helter skelter play. I can imagine the pressure he must be feeling competing against the more experienced player and the play of both seems to be confused. It's nice to have bodies to throw in for defensive pressure but the offense seems to suffer with a lack of continuity. Hoping this plays out because RJ has another year and we have another highly rated guard coming in. I wonder if having Cole come off the bench for a spark like John Gwynn would be a more stabilizing move over the long haul.
If Cole comes off the bench, you lose his defensive prowess against the other team's best guard, and his creative. albeit erratic, shot selection that does produce some scoring on his runners or whatever you call his shots.

Your hope is to jumpstart Gaffney by starting him if I understand your thoughts. But based on what we have seen when he is playing, that is not a given. I guess if he started and did produce, the experiment would have proven to be worth it.

I think DH is a very merit based coach who plays players who "earn" their time in practice. Not sure if he would take a chance on starting Gaffney unless he showed it at practice.

Pressure to compete should be a motivating thing. It is not like he gets a quick hook once he is in the game. Too bad young(er) players are thrust into playing when they are. Years ago, when talented seniors finished out their years, the younger players waited for their turns. Nowadays, young players have to perform or they get recruited over.

Such is life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom