What to make of Gaffney? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What to make of Gaffney?

Reaction Score
No... what do they say?

You and the other guy with the same sweet joke should hang out.
at least we wont be hanging out in north dakota. and re my second post, can you seriously not think of a reason why gaff looks like he hasn't been able to play "A TON" in the past 10 months?

Reaction Score
at least we wont be hanging out in north dakota. and re my second post, can you seriously not think of a reason why gaff looks like he hasn't been able to play "A TON" in the past 10 months?
Yes. I understood. I suppose you have a point.

Reaction Score
It also doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just means I'm insensitive for not recognizing extenuating circumstances. It may mean I'm more right.

In fact, I think you've helped me recognize one of my biggest questions about the season thus far. What's up with Gaff. I expected more growth. Maybe it's all due to Covid. Seems possible. Cancelled camps, summer leagues, etc.. What's left? Lifting weights i suppose.

I'm not sure this has been discussed. Covid's impact on player growth. Everyone is very aware of its impact on schedule. Recent practice time. What about the sophomore bump?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the defender crowds Gaffney he's toast right now. It's why when he's facing pressure, he often turns his back to his defender. He struggles to get past quick defenders off the bounce and can't get his shot off unless he has a lot of space which he has trouble creating. His athleticism seems to be very good in a straight line and when he has space in the open floor and he can leap. He would do much better if we were more of a running fastbreak team. Quickness side to side and quick twitch first step explosion is not his forte and it's preventing him from being able to create offense for himself and others in the halfcourt. He's a combo guard in my mind. I would love it if his jumper became more consistent. It looks nice and soft enough. Just needs to see it go in a few more times.

Reaction Score
I think we should wait more than 4 games before deciding who sucks. Pretty sure Whaley wasn't even in the rotation 4 games into last year.

But Gaffney is obviously better than Gilbert, and Cole probably is too.
Through 4 games last year Carlton was averaging 15 and 9 in 22 minutes and Whaley was averaging 4 and 3 in 11 minutes. Way too early to draw conclusions about players or rotations but it's what the BY does best

Reaction Score
It's still early in his career but it doesn't look like he's made the jump many of us expected. I watched several of his games in high school and thought we were getting a different player. This is a kid who would take his man off the dribble and make acrobatic finishes at the rim, a guy who was in national dunk contests and would put it through his legs...

Last year I understood it because of the ankle injury and easing into his role as a freshman but we are still seeing a player who plays slowly/tentatively and looks like he's in a shell. He deferred earlier in high school when he played with higher ranked kids but in his senior year he didn't. I still think there is so much more in there but he seems like he's holding himself back. Hurley talked him up a bunch in the preseason about his explosiveness and above the rim athleticism but when the lights come on it just isn't happening.
What is the rush as far as coming to conclusions with these players- it’s been 4 games & the team has been going through COVID-19 practices & play this year. Can we at least give the kid a dozen games before we say he’s not what we expected, lol. You usually are pretty practical when it comes to this stuff- surprised by this thread.

Reaction Score
What to make? He came off the bench as the back up PG and had 4 points, 3 assists, 7 rebounds and 2 steals.

He also shot terribly. He also hit his two FT's at the end of regulation.

View attachment 62732

This board is going to go insane this year picking apart who needs to be the starting PG.

Gaff and Cole are different players but both have the same weaknesses. Not good shooters and aren't high level athletes. They'll both struggle to defend and neither one can shoot.

Cole is 13-41 on FG's for the season. He is at least shooting .360 from deep. Gaff is even worse. 8-26 from the floor and 3-12 from 3. At least they are both really good FT shooters.
Except for RJ last 2 pressure is something else so I think that’s what’s going on with Gaffney. He’s playing like he did the beginning of last season but it’s only 4 games in with no preseason and a off and on season. I think he’ll be fine once we realize we do t need Bouknight to hold us down every game

Reaction Score
I’m not sold on this kid just yet. Last year we contributed his play to being a freshman and minor injuries. This year he’s playing about the same. He’s playing timid and with no confidence. Until he proves himself to be a solid contributor, he’s definitely not the guy. I know I know decent D but we need some type of offense from him as well. 28 mins,4 pts, 1/8fg, while posting a minus 11. Wth

Reaction Score
If Jalen Gaffney was dominating RJ Cole in practice he would probably be starting.

Maybe. But I’d find it difficult to believe that Whaley didn’t stand out in practice and he had to wait until two starting front court players were sidelined by injury before he started.
I think DH is very loyal to his players and once you’re a starter you’re given the benefit of the doubt. It’s why it took so long for AG to finally lose his starting position.
it’s not a bad thing, being loyal. Most times it pays dividends.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What is the rush as far as coming to conclusions with these players- it’s been 4 games & the team has been going through COVID-19 practices & play this year. Can we at least give the kid a dozen games before we say he’s not what we expected, lol. You usually are pretty practical when it comes to this stuff- surprised by this thread.

The first second that people starting to bring Gilbert up as being a better option, we all should have just laughed and punched out of the conversation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The first second that people starting to bring Gilbert up as being a better option, we all should have just laughed and punched out of the conversation.
well, it's about time you did some 'wildly whispered, rarely displayed' throat punching. so that's what it actually looks like. noice. you had me at the kansas cornfield eulogy. lazerlike.

Reaction Score
The Gaff/Cole situation reminds me of KOs sophomore year. Competing for pt against transfer Cupp Cormier. Cormier was a bit of a train wreck by the end of the year I think. He wasn't that great and may of had some disciplinary issues. Tough to remember at this point.

Regardless, we had 2 PGs. Neither real great. But KO won the job. Seems like Gaff should of been able to do the same. I'm surprised is all. After starting much of his freshman year. I hope for more development. The job was right there for the taking.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Al is an awesome kid but he killed our ball movement by overdribbling. And he's still doing that in Wichita.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Gaffney's issues are confidence based. I imagine he will work out the kinks sooner rather then later. Until then we will have to rely on Cole. I'm not convinced Cole cannot be the guy either. He will realize that his style of play has to change and hopefully adapt to being the facilitator we need. Hurley is on it.

Reaction Score
I think Cole will shoot it much better from deep, he’s had a lot of shots that look good that have been rattling out. I think that will improve.
As far as gaff I think the OP said it best he just defers too much and plays to not make mistakes rather than to make plays. Showed something by draining both free throws tho

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He's good.

Alterique Gilbert was awful - he's still awful.

Nice kid, blah, blah, but he can't throw the ball in the ocean and he's the only person who doesn't realize that.

There's a reason he left and that reason was that he's not as good as Gaffney.

i dont see that at all. Is gaffney a better defender than al? Better shooter? Better passer?

Reaction Score
Gilbert is the same player he's always been...

I know 5 games but... 12.8 and 3.4 shooting 36/30/72
His best season at UConn he was 12.6 and 3.6 38/33/77

He was a solid defender but he was not a good point guard. The problem is Cole is what people who didn't drink the Kool-Aid thought he was, an ok player on a very bad team (27-40 in two years) and Gaffney is a year three or four guy. He's just not that good yet and we knew that coming in. My prediction is that Diggins will be our PG from day one.

Reaction Score
Why you would construct a god awful front court of Bird and Jordan when you could have Bird and Lebron. Same with the backcourt. You have Magic and Lebron when it should be Magic and Jordan.

And then you put the second best center of his generation on that squad? Put a rebounding machine like Wilt or a scoring machine like Kareem on that team.
Russell was the best of all time. He basically redefined the position and was literally a coach on the floor. And a championship one at that. I just wanted to list 5 greats. Other than Russ, Put ‘em wherever you want they would beat you!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Gaffney could be a decent player at UConn. My two issues with Gaffney is that A) he is only a sophomore, and kids take time to develop, and B) Gaffney would be better if he wasn't forced to play the 3 so much. He is too short, it is hard to create against athletic 6'6 players, and he ends up parked in the corner.

Reaction Score
The Gaff/Cole situation reminds me of KOs sophomore year. Competing for pt against transfer Cupp Cormier. Cormier was a bit of a train wreck by the end of the year I think. He wasn't that great and may of had some disciplinary issues. Tough to remember at this point.

Regardless, we had 2 PGs. Neither real great. But KO won the job. Seems like Gaff should of been able to do the same. I'm surprised is all. After starting much of his freshman year. I hope for more development. The job was right there for the taking.
My only difference is that I’m not sure the job was completely open. Coaches, even pretty good ones, get enamored with certain guys. I truly think Hurley is enamored with Coles, who I suspect was given the starter job from day 1. And certain guys react differently. The returning starter, who really contributed to last year’s turnaround is suddenly on the bench. It seems to have made him more tentative almost like he is trying to avoid any mistake rather than make plays.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think Gaffney could be a decent player at UConn. My two issues with Gaffney is that A) he is only a sophomore, and kids take time to develop, and B) Gaffney would be better if he wasn't forced to play the 3 so much. He is too short, it is hard to create against athletic 6'6 players, and he ends up parked in the corner.
At some point this becomes a Gaffney problem. He's 6'3, athletic, and ripped, he should be able to drive on 6'6 defenders if it's within his skill set.

Reaction Score
Why you would construct a god awful front court of Bird and Jordan when you could have Bird and Lebron. Same with the backcourt. You have Magic and Lebron when it should be Magic and Jordan.

And then you put the second best center of his generation on that squad? Put a rebounding machine like Wilt or a scoring machine like Kareem on that team.
If you needed more evidence about freescooter knowing nothing about basketball other than the hundreds of examples he's already left us, he thinks Jordan was a frontcourt player and thinks Russell is the best player ever.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you needed more evidence about freescooter knowing nothing about basketball other than the hundreds of examples he's already left us, he thinks Jordan was a frontcourt player and thinks Russell is the best player ever.

Let me guess, he also enjoys set shots and a good two-handed chest pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom