What makes a UConn legend? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What makes a UConn legend?

Reaction Score
sue, maya, stewie are truly great players, and others are worthy, depending on how 'great' is defined.

but for me, only d and paige reach the legendary level, and it's because of their incredible and repeated clutch performances in college.

they seem miraculous and magical. i've never seen anything like it.

As Maya is the leading scorer in UConn history, how is she not "legendary"? Not arguing, just don't see how that's possible in my mind.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was looking for somewhere to post this comment. THIS looks like as good a place as any. Two thoughts as we close the door on 2022, and pop the cork on 2023.

1. DePaul's Aneesah Morrow has become a "one man band" for the Blue Demons. She scored 33 points on 36 FGA (14/36), along with 10 rebounds. No other Blue Demon teammate had double digit FGA's. [Box Score] Ponder this for a day or two.......how many points would Lou or Azzi score if they were allowed to put up thirty-six shots? :rolleyes: Nykesha Sales' UConn team record of 46 points in a single game that has stood since 1998, would fall......quickly and by a lot.

2. Tonight, DePaul fell to Creighton who UConn just defeated on Wednesday 72-47. UConn held Creighton to below 50 points using only 7 players. Tonight Creighton scored a 92-82 victory over DePaul. All 5 starters for Creighton scored in double figures. Only three players (Karlen, La Chapell and Marotta) scored in double figuers Wednesday.

UConn was able to throw a blanket over the Blue Jays and completely stiffle them with their "Magnificant 7." Are we giving our team enough credit here? :rolleyes: Thoughts......

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Edwards could very well be destined to reach that plateau of UConn legends.
IF...........................she plays like this the rest of this season and next. There's no reason why she shouldn't. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Paige Bueckers does not already qualify as a legend after winning NPOY as a freshman than she will become one next year when she leads UConn to another undefeated season and national championship.
I don't like to look ahead, but.............I've already mentioned in a comment today that IMHO, UConn could very well run the table next year with the players they have now, those coming back from injury, and the incoming freshmen. I think the only thing that could keep this team from fullfilling its destiny is the injury bug. Let's hope UConn has seen the last of THAT bug for awhile. :confused:

Reaction Score
Agree with maple above.

To be a true legend of this program I believe is a combination of three elements:

1. Making your team-mates around you into better players than they would otherwise have been (the "it-factor")​
2. Delivering those "Wow-Moments" on the floor​
3. One or more National Championships​

For me, all three of those have to be present. Of course, first team All-America status becomes a natural by-product of all that. But All America or NPOY status is not in and of itself one of my criteria.

To date, Stewart, Moore, Tairasi, Bird, and Lobo.
I'm pretty much on board with your criteria, and your selections, except that if Lobo is one of them, why not Rizzotti, who was also a national player of the year and was, well, we all know what she meant to that '95 Huskies team.

I'd probably say neither should be with those other four, but if Lobo, then Rizzotti.

Reaction Score
As Maya is the leading scorer in UConn history, how is she not "legendary"? Not arguing, just don't see how that's possible in my mind.
Leading scorer and one of the very best in all other categories plus, most important, Maya had the best UConn record - 150-4. DT is held dear on the BY but, to me, Maya and Stewie are the best players.

Reaction Score
I was looking for somewhere to post this comment. THIS looks like as good a place as any. Two thoughts as we close the door on 2022, and pop the cork on 2023.

1. DePaul's Aneesah Morrow has become a "one man band" for the Blue Demons. She scored 33 points on 36 FGA (14/36), along with 10 rebounds. No other Blue Demon teammate had double digit FGA's. [Box Score] Ponder this for a day or two.......how many points would Lou or Azzi score if they were allowed to put up thirty-six shots? :rolleyes: Nykesha Sales' UConn team record of 46 points in a single game that has stood since 1998, would fall......quickly and by a lot.

2. Tonight, DePaul fell to Creighton who UConn just defeated on Wednesday 72-47. UConn held Creighton to below 50 points using only 7 players. Tonight Creighton scored a 92-82 victory over DePaul. All 5 starters for Creighton scored in double figures. Only three players (Karlen, La Chapell and Marotta) scored in double figuers Wednesday.

UConn was able to throw a blanket over the Blue Jays and completely stiffle them with their "Magnificant 7." Are we giving our team enough credit here? :rolleyes: Thoughts......
The cork has popped, Carnac, but enjoy your moment when you catch up shortly...:rolleyes:

And yes, the Huskies 'seven' deserve tons of credit, but I'm off to bed now. Cheers, and Happy New Year, everyone.

Reaction Score

All this game showed me was what a pathetic excuse for defense Bruno allows his teams to play year after year.

Reaction Score
Leading scorer and one of the very best in all other categories plus, most important, Maya had the best UConn record - 150-4. DT is held dear on the BY but, to me, Maya and Stewie are the best players.
Agreed on Stewie and Maya being the best players. I think the thing that endears DT to the BY is her brashness. We like the “bad girl”

Reaction Score
For me a legend is multi-faceted. Winning a NC is included in that, as is individual stats, awards, and their "longevity" after leaving (by that I mean, they are a player that anyone who watches college wbb can look at 10+ years later and remember their achievements at UConn).

DT, Moore, Stewie, Lobo, Bird ... even the most casual wbb fan has likely heard of them and knows they were a UConn great. Paige very likely will become a well-remembered Husky as well, regardless of whether or not she wins a title. But I think she does need to win a title to be considered a true "legend".
I agree, there are other factors as you mention, but a title would seem to be a minimum requirement to get on Uconn's Mount Rushmore, which obviously would have DT, Maya and Stewie already in place. Remember there are multiple candidates for that 4th spot beyond Paige or Azzi, like Tina Charles, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Swen Cash etc. and we can probably call all of them legends too, but in this era Paige and Azzi have one factor the others didn't so much and that is NIL.

From that standpoint current players can become well known in the general public or among more casual sports fans via endorsements and social media even if they don't achieve a national championship. I thought Paige was a lock to be considered in the top 4 after her freshmen season, but now the clock is ticking, and she needs that championship to be considered top 4 in my opinion, because the other contenders often have two championships.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Tonight, DePaul fell to Creighton who UConn just defeated on Wednesday 72-47. UConn held Creighton to below 50 points using only 7 players. Tonight Creighton scored a 92-82 victory over DePaul. All 5 starters for Creighton scored in double figures. Only three players (Karlen, La Chapell and Marotta) scored in double figuers Wednesday.

The last person to score 40 or more points was KLS, in the AAC Championship game against USF. That was her 10-10 3pt game. She would have broken that record if she had played in the last 12+ minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
I agree, there are other factors as you mention, but a title would seem to be a minimum requirement to get on Uconn's Mount Rushmore, which obviously would have DT, Maya and Stewie already in place. Remember there are multiple candidates for that 4th spot beyond Paige or Azzi, like Tina Charles, Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, Swen Cash etc. and we can probably call all of them legends too, but in this era Paige and Azzi have one factor the others didn't so much and that is NIL.

From that standpoint current players can become well known in the general public or among more casual sports fans via endorsements and social media even if they don't achieve a national championship. I thought Paige was a lock to be considered in the top 4 after her freshmen season, but now the clock is ticking, and she needs that championship to be considered top 4 in my opinion, because the other contenders often have two championships.
Paige and Azzi should be grouped only terms of NIL opportunities at this point. Paige is well ahead of her younger friend as far as on-court performance. Wouldn't it be wonderful if both could make strides toward becoming Huskies legends. Sobering as it might be, that's a reality that might never come to pass.

Reaction Score
sue, maya, stewie are truly great players, and others are worthy, depending on how 'great' is defined.

but for me, only d and paige reach the legendary level, and it's because of their incredible and repeated clutch performances in college.

they seem miraculous and magical. i've never seen anything like it.
Kerry Bascom with a lot of clutch performances. About 12 years ago there was a Q & A with the 4 coaches and Geno said after Taurasi was Bascom for hitting the big shots.

Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom with a lot of clutch performances. About 12 years ago there was a Q & A with the 4 coaches and Geno said after Taurasi was Bascom for hitting the big shots.
Here's the statement about the last shot and Taurasi wasn't involved. It's at the tail end of the interview at the 24:20 mark.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I believe a "legend" or "legendary" you have to be on Mt Rushmore of UCONN. Right now that's DT, Moore, Stewart. Still waiting for the 4th.

So you have to have at least a couple NC's, at least a couple NPOY's, and probably even more important, you have to play. No matter how good you are, if you are sitting on the sidelines injured or if you leave early....that's just not gonna make it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom