What makes a UConn legend? | The Boneyard

What makes a UConn legend?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
sue, maya, stewie are truly great players, and others are worthy, depending on how 'great' is defined.

but for me, only d and paige reach the legendary level, and it's because of their incredible and repeated clutch performances in college.

they seem miraculous and magical. i've never seen anything like it.

Reaction Score
I think you might be selling Nika a little short. Sure she isnt a great scorer but she brings legendary energy and her assists will be a record.
Plus she already has the defensive POTY award and shes the one who has to take on the other teams best scorer/player.

Reaction Score
sue, maya, stewie are truly great players, and others are worthy, depending on how 'great' is defined.

but for me, only d and paige reach the legendary level, and it's because of their incredible and repeated clutch performances in college.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Reaction Score

So Stewie predicting and then winning 4 national championships and being final four MVP in all four doesn't count?

Reaction Score
So Stewie predicting and then winning 4 national championships and being final four MVP in all four doesn't count?
You’re in my head. Can you be a legends without winning a natty?

Reaction Score
For me a legend is multi-faceted. Winning a NC is included in that, as is individual stats, awards, and their "longevity" after leaving (by that I mean, they are a player that anyone who watches college wbb can look at 10+ years later and remember their achievements at UConn).

DT, Moore, Stewie, Lobo, Bird ... even the most casual wbb fan has likely heard of them and knows they were a UConn great. Paige very likely will become a well-remembered Husky as well, regardless of whether or not she wins a title. But I think she does need to win a title to be considered a true "legend".

Reaction Score

If my team was down by 1 point with 10 seconds left in the game and I could pick anyone to have the ball, I would pick DT because one way or another she would win the game. That is her legend.

Reaction Score
Agree with maple above.

To be a true legend of this program I believe is a combination of three elements:

1. Making your team-mates around you into better players than they would otherwise have been (the "it-factor")​
2. Delivering those "Wow-Moments" on the floor​
3. One or more National Championships​

For me, all three of those have to be present. Of course, first team All-America status becomes a natural by-product of all that. But All America or NPOY status is not in and of itself one of my criteria.

To date, Stewart, Moore, Tairasi, Bird, and Lobo.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Lol. What came to my mind with the word “legend” was Gardler calmly fixing her hair right before knocking down a three.

Also, the basket Cash scored for the opposing team after a missed foul shot was pretty legendary as well.

The way that both Pulido and Buck capped their UConn careers also has become legend.

Those four just might be my Rushmore of UConn legends.

Reaction Score
UCONN is about TEAM, not individual. You get individual notoriety through team success, National Championship(s).
NPOY is for the individual not for the team ... eod

Reaction Score
Lol. What came to my mind with the word “legend” was Gardler calmly fixing her hair right before knocking down a three.

Also, the basket Cash scored for the opposing team after a missed foul shot was pretty legendary as well.

The way that both Pulido and Buck capped their UConn careers also has become legend.

Those four just might be my Rushmore of UConn legends.
Nice reminder about Gardler and my favorite UConn video is Heather's layup, with the UConn fight song kicking in when she makes the steal

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Or Moore going 150-4, winning 90 straight games and finishing top 2 in POY voting all 4 years. Both her and Stewart almost never had opportunities to have clutch moments since games were so often blowouts. Moore especially proved her worth as a clutch player in the pros, making several huge shots in the playoffs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The title of "Legend" carries a lot of weight and it requires jewelry to attain.

Remix GIF by Kesha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom