What is your favorite dessert for the Holidays or at anytime? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is your favorite dessert for the Holidays or at anytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm still trying to narrow it down.... i'll be back later today... or tomorrow :oops:
By the way, you may have to put down the fork/spoon to state your case. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
My wife is a superb cook and for dinner 2 nights ago made a fabulous chocolate mousse (to go with her amazing boeuf bourguignon).

My all-time favorite packaged dessert are Hagen Daz rum raisin and Breyer's cherry vanilla. (I eat all the raisins and cherries, 'cause they have no calories).

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
ALL OF THEM... I am known as the "destroyer of desserts" in my house... If it has sugar on it, in it, around it, next to it, or in the name of it... I get 1st dibs. I am currently 29 years old and I guarantee you I have shortened my life span by at least 10 years due to my mass consumption of sweets.

Reaction Score
My favorite is bread pudding with bourbon sauce, but Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without an apple pie and a pumpkin pie - staples at my family's Thanksgiving table since I can remember!

JS

Reaction Score
Mrs. JS makes trifle a couple times a year, when we're either having or being guests. It's of English origin. First had it at teatime at the Queen Victoria b & b in Cape May.

Big glass bowl w vanilla custard, bottomed and topped w lady finger cakes (maybe doused w liqueur), freshly whipped cream, colorful mix of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries on top.

Spectacular and scrumptious.

Favorite cookie is peanut butter. Love hot fudge sundaes w vanilla ice cream and wet walnuts. Love all kinds of fruit pies, but single favorite pie is probably coconut custard.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
With a large Italian family (both sets of grandparents off the boat) desserts after meals on the holidays are quite a spectacle. And there has to be enough, you see, to feed a small village. Therefore, without question, the Italian pies collection for Easter just have to be my favorite. Wheat pies, rice pies, cream pies, and ricotta pies line the central nave of the dinning tables flanked by 2 dessert dishes per person. That's bc you use one plate for your pie tastings and a second for the other smorgasbord of sweet concoctions hidden among the glorious cherry and latice-topped pies. Mmmmmm I like the ricotta the best:p

Best part is juding who made the best pie for the year as, of course, multiple family members must compete with one another serving their prized selection of pies for the feast.

I've never won:mad:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For Thanksgiving, 12 of us family plus a guest from Spain will enjoy Mrs. Kibitzer's homemade Kahlua ice cream, maybe with a touch of Stonewall Kitchen's Dulce de Leche topping.:)
I make a chocolate pecan pie with Kahlua whipped cream. It's decadent!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sweet Potato Pie
1748294.jpg

Reaction Score
my own apple thingy. Totally decade nt: 2 different kinds of apples. One to make a special Calvados applesauce. Calvados is apple brandy. The second type of apple is used as filling The layers are composed of croissants. The applesauce goes on the first layer of cut croissants. The second layer is moistened with heavy cream then topped with apple slices, crystalized ginger, turbinado sugar, and cinnamon,almost forgot the calvados. This is covered with another layer of mini croissants moistened with calvados. This is baked fot 40 minutes in a 425 oven. then removed and topped with the best aged sharp cheddar you can find Back in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool but serve warm to hot. You can top it with ice cream or a special apple whipped cream. This re-heats really well.

My intent was to combine bread pudding and apple pie cook the item in a single dish which is easy to serve and re-heat. With minor modifications you can expand this to cook in sheet pans.
I've done it for a hundred.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sweet Potato Pie
1748294.jpg
I'm convinced that if you take a 100 aliens, either intercontinental or interplanetary, who have never had pumpkin or sweet potato pie, and sat them in front of a slice of both, 90% would choose sweet potato. No electoral college needed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
my own apple thingy. Totally decade nt: 2 different kinds of apples. One to make a special Calvados applesauce. Calvados is apple brandy. The second type of apple is used as filling The layers are composed of croissants. The applesauce goes on the first layer of cut croissants. The second layer is moistened with heavy cream then topped with apple slices, crystalized ginger, turbinado sugar, and cinnamon,almost forgot the calvados. This is covered with another layer of mini croissants moistened with calvados. This is baked fot 40 minutes in a 425 oven. then removed and topped with the best aged sharp cheddar you can find Back in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool but serve warm to hot. You can top it with ice cream or a special apple whipped cream. This re-heats really well.

My intent was to combine bread pudding and apple pie cook the item in a single dish which is easy to serve and re-heat. With minor modifications you can expand this to cook in sheet pans.
I've done it for a hundred.
Could you do that for one more?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I've forgotten my third choice. Coconut cake. Boyo!.

Reaction Score
Blueberry pie. Single crust, bottom half with cooked filling, top half with fresh(lemon juice and sugared). Top crust is thick layer of homemade whipped cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom