What I Learned From Purdue Replay | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What I Learned From Purdue Replay

Reaction Score
Loved the change up defenses, particularly the 2-2-1. Seemed to cut off both the drives and most 3 pointers. Also liked the liberal use of the bench. Maybe the 40 point 3rd quarter lead helped ;). ONO seemed to be getting more confidence with her added minutes. Once she starts going after rebounds versus just keeping her feet planted she will be a terror.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I sent my daughter off to the peace corp for that very reason. When she came back there was a different peace officer in our house every Saturday night. (partly kidding, she was peace corp in central America)
Here is what's been giving me peace over the last month. My new baby. Ain't she purtty?

20181108_135754.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
C'mon, guys...I can't write more obviously tongue-in-cheek stuff than this. Still, I'll ask my grandchildren to teach me about emojis. Now where are those exits I was invited to take?
I tried to help you ,Big. But some of the kids are bored and just clowning!:p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Loved the change up defenses, particularly the 2-2-1. Seemed to cut off both the drives and most 3 pointers. Also liked the liberal use of the bench. Maybe the 40 point 3rd quarter lead helped ;). ONO seemed to be getting more confidence with her added minutes. Once she starts going after rebounds versus just keeping her feet planted she will be a terror.
I’ve been intrigued how often UConn changes up their defense in games, sometimes from one possession to the next, between man, zone, zone press, etc. After graduating two “shut down” defenders, Geno has figured out that one of the best ways to slow an opposing offense is to continually throw different defensive schemes at them.

Reaction Score
C'mon, guys...I can't write more obviously tongue-in-cheek stuff than this. Still, I'll ask my grandchildren t.o teach me about emojis. Now where are those exits I was invited to take?
Hey, as someone who has had perfectly normal conversations with you, I thought you'd lost your mind. That's been known to happen among BYers, too

Reaction Score
Here is what's been giving me peace over the last month. My new baby. Ain't she purtty?

View attachment 36715
Absolutely magnificent. Where do you store the diapers? My weekly lament is that I had few of these babies and more of the other kind. Then I recover (a tiny bit)
Now I understand how you maintain your cool attitude--relaxing to music, nothing better.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
C'mon, guys...I can't write more obviously tongue-in-cheek stuff than this. Still, I'll ask my grandchildren to teach me about emojis. Now where are those exits I was invited to take?

Here’s what I learned (among other things) from my grandchildren :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops:Head bang:rolleyes: I learned to appreciate sarcasm and tongue in cheek from my parents. Great preparation for the BY. Good job by you.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Rooting my butt off for Megan...

Watched the game 3x today, Megan needs to spend some focused time watching film and ask Geno to critique her play.

She is very much learning how to play basketball, she has the physical tools to dominate the game...

It is such a tough thing to grasp the intent of what is being taught, then have to execute it at game speed, with solid in game decisions, can see her thinking, trying to do the right things, she is struggling with recognition in those instances.

Her best play without the ball was her running full speed down the court, she the attention of 2 defenders to her because of her energy giving KLS an open path to the basket.

It was awesome! I don’t believe she even realized it. Hope the coaches show her that.

With the ball the give and go was excellent with Crystal. Obvious they drill that she did it without thinking.

Lot of highlights in this game, was a solid team building experience.

DePaul will be a battle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I haven't read this board in a while, but just would like to comment that the best posts worth reading are those which can't be misinterpreted. I admit the initial post shocked me. Of course it has been a while....
You have been missed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I'll say something. Geno yelled at her in the first period when she had no points. CW ended up with 17 points and went 5-6 from 3. Best of all she didn't miss another switch all night. Your arguments, like many who seem to know little about BB fundamentals are ill conceived, entirely notional, and wrongheaded. Like most of your ilk the best I can say is the exits are through the rear and side doors.
View attachment 36708
Eh you should have went with CMC'72 on this one.

article-2229806-15E8F646000005DC-328_634x356.jpg

Reaction Score
@RogueDave I don’t think players have to ask Geno to critique them. My guess is he sees thst as part of his job description - and from what I can tell he is good at it. However it probably helps if you understand sarcSm because I doubt Geno uses emojis.

Reaction Score
Well, nuttin’ really, since I had already gotten it from reading our forum over the past several days: The coach’s methods are no longer relevant for today’s players and his fundamental approach is outmoded. Fortunately, my ex-social worker wife didn’t see this, but at one point it appeared that Geno actually screamed at Chrystin, which, predictably, shut down her performance for the rest of the game, sort of. I can’t vouch for this, but it appeared that she was threatened with the consequence of not getting a participation trophy if she didn’t pick up her game! Heaven knows what effect that kind of thing will have on future recruiting!

So, nothing to learn there, Saints are chillin’ out and eatin’ gumbeaux today, whole day’s a waste
Bama and maybe others thought my reply to this posting was serious. If that offended then please accept my apology. I was just going along with the trend you set.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
@RogueDave I don’t think players have to ask Geno to critique them. My guess is he sees thst as part of his job description - and from what I can tell he is good at it. However it probably helps if you understand sarcSm because I doubt Geno uses emojis.

Good One Captain Obvious...I didn’t realize that....Insert sarcasm emoji...

Wish OldeCoach was still with us...

In the past on several occasions both Geno and CD have specifically stated what comes up in practice comes up in practice...If players want additional coaching insights to improve their game it is up to them to seek it out, make the commitment and effort, akin to taking ownership of their own skill development...

My primary example is Maya Moore availed herself to these services quite a bit...Apparently that worked out okay...

I believe spoon feeding ends pretty quick in this program...

If key to a successful program is just having a good coach and all that entails there would more good WBB teams...

I never overlook the commitment the young women make to themselves, team, program...Makes a pretty big difference in the scheme of things...

Reaction Score
Well I'll say something. Geno yelled at her in the first period when she had no points. CW ended up with 17 points and went 5-6 from 3. Best of all she didn't miss another switch all night. Your arguments, like many who seem to know little about BB fundamentals are ill conceived, entirely notional, and wrongheaded. Like most of your ilk the best I can say is the exits are through the rear and side doors.
QUOTE]

Well-spoken. Thank you.

Reaction Score
So your mom allowed you to take directions from an undereducated, old time Missouri country pumpkin who greatest physical accomplishment was to drive a riverboat.
Failed at a printing press, lost all of his money and borrowed more, going deeper into bankrupt, lost his Hartford house, and died in Italy. What does that say about the person?
Only that he was the greatest humorist and writer of books kids in the late 1800/eary 1900's loved. Thank your MOM for keeping his works and name alive. Thanks.

I will do. She's 96 and never misses a UCONN women's game. She drilled many a useful quote into us 5 kids. All of us turned out great, except maybe me. I will tell her today of your wise words.

Reaction Score
Experts? Amateurs. Erich Segal once mistakenly said, "Love means never having to say you're sorry". Then he got married and came to the realization, and I quote, "I've found that love means having to say you're sorry a hundred times a day.". Yes, married men are the true experts in "sorry".

True. My Mom also said, often, "In marriage, you can be "right" or happy. It's always your choice!"
(Good ole Mom)!:cool::rolleyes::D

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Back in HS, I took a French class taught by a Czechoslovakian teacher who often told jokes that nobody understood. After an uncomfortable silence following one of his attempts at humor, the teacher would say, “Dat vas joke,” and the class would respond with hysterical laughter.
Maybe the MODS can give us a "Dat vas joke" emoji? BTW, dat vas joke! ;)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Bama and maybe others thought my reply to this posting was serious. If that offended then please accept my apology. I was just going along with the trend you set.
B'way, Not sure what makes you think I thought you were "serious" in your reply. So no apology required to me. As for others, I doubt many posters would be offended by any reply in this thread. It is all nonsense , meant to pass away a boring Sunday. So please save your apologies for when you do something truly terrible, like eat the last bit of dessert. BTW, dat vas joke! :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will do. She's 96 and never misses a UCONN women's game. She drilled many a useful quote into us 5 kids. All of us turned out great, except maybe me. I will tell her today of your wise words.
My 96 soon to be 97 year old sister is an huge fan of Uconn. Christiine sent her a card on her 90th birthday.
I'm not wise. However, over the years my sisters called me a wiseguy. Thanks for the great comment. Give your Mom my gratitude for raising a nice person. Thanks.

Reaction Score
B'way, Not sure what makes you think I thought you were "serious" in your reply. So no apology required to me. As for others, I doubt many posters would be offended by any reply in this thread. It is all nonsense , meant to pass away a boring Sunday. So please save your apologies for when you something truly terrible, like eat the last bit of dessert. BTW, dat vas joke! :eek::eek:
My circle of nice people grows thin, so I don't need to lose a person like you that enjoys a humorous comment, even if in sarcasm. Thanks.

Reaction Score
It just occurred to me: She, like my sister, must have been an original "Rosy the Riveter. Without WOMEN like her, the outcome of WW2 may have been very different. Bless her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom