What do we know about Auburn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What do we know about Auburn?

Reaction Score
Interesting Stats
  • 10th least opponent assists per field goal. Don't give up a lot of 3's and PnR switches encourages hero ball.
  • I don't love this matchup for Cole. Tough, quick guards and long bigs in the paint.

So more burn for Hawkins ?

Reaction Score
I would say it is more just an increase in talent over time and guys having defined roles that they understand. I would love for Murray to be an Xs and Os wiz, but to draw that conclusion after those four games seems very premature to say the least.
It doesn't have to be based on this 4 game sample, he has a long assistant coaching history and came here with the reputation of being a good in game coach who could help Hurley with our offense.

Reaction Score
It doesn't have to be based on this 4 game sample, he has a long assistant coaching history and came here with the reputation of being a good in game coach who could help Hurley with our offense.
Would love for that to be true. But I thought his reputation was all based on recruiting.

Him being this offensive guru is something I believe the Yard has fabricated?

Reaction Score
Would love for that to be true. But I thought his reputation was all based on recruiting.

I thought it was talked about in one of the articles after he was hired but I could just be thinking of conversations here I guess

Reaction Score

DH has been quoted as saying that in addition to his strong recruiting capabilities--Murray's X and O knowledge is excellent and a reason why he was excited to get him on board at UConn.. Went on to say --for these reasons and others-- He considers him an attractive HC candidate sometime in the future.

Let's see how the O performs against tougher opponents and better athletes.

Reaction Score
I would say it is more just an increase in talent over time and guys having defined roles that they understand. I would love for Murray to be an Xs and Os wiz, but to draw that conclusion after those four games seems very premature to say the least.

Some people just don’t want to even consider this. But, Luke is very good. That’s why Dan has hired him three times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To mitigate Auburn's big, use the big to big double team with Akok fronting and Whaley or Sanogo behind. Use Akok's length to make the pass in to post more difficult and strength of other two to keep them stationary.

Reaction Score
Some people just don’t want to even consider this. But, Luke is very good. That’s why Dan has hired him three times.
I'm sure Luke does a great job. It just seemed silly to give him credit for something that is more than likely a result of what the staff that has been here for years have been building.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Luke does a great job. It just seemed silly to give him credit for something that is more than likely a result of what the staff that has been here for years have been building.
I don't think he deserves all the "credit". No one person does. But I think it's a mistake to dismiss his influence on Hurley. Whether it's luke, kimani, tom, or dan all I know is we haven't seen some of the idiotic offensive tendencies this team had in years past. It could be just a coincidence that is coincides with Luke's arrival. But nevertheless i'm a tad bit more confident in our in game coaching than years past

Reaction Score
I don't think he deserves all the "credit". No one person does. But I think it's a mistake to dismiss his influence on Hurley. Whether it's luke, kimani, tom, or dan all I know is we haven't seen some of the idiotic offensive tendencies this team had in years past. It could be just a coincidence that is coincides with Luke's arrival. But nevertheless i'm a tad bit more confident in our in game coaching than year
That's fair. Either way let's hope the offense keeps it up and the boys roll through Atlantis this week!!

Reaction Score
Always wild how much smarter coaches become when have better and more experienced talent :)

I expect a game of good defense and offensive droughts on both sides. After getting called out by the coaches, Adama, RJ, and Isaiah should be properly motivated and dialed in. I want Jordan to shoot and Andre to fly.

Reaction Score
To mitigate Auburn's big, use the big to big double team with Akok fronting and Whaley or Sanogo behind. Use Akok's length to make the pass in to post more difficult and strength of other two to keep them stationary.
Their big will be more of a defensive nuisance than offensive, I think, unless they radically change his usage from previous games. And who knows, maybe they will.

Reaction Score
I also watched most of the USF game. Btw Mike O'Donnell the color guy was terrific. Knew both teams cold for a random non-conf game on ESPN+, the players and also the coaching tendencies. Paid attention to the lineups, the flow of the game, knew when to be critical, but also impressed.

Auburn went on a 15-0 run middle of the 2nd half, keyed mostly by their defense letting them get out into transition and semi-transition. That was the difference in the game. South Florida obviously isn't great (they've got one guy on offense), but we're going to need to execute on offense so we don't get bogged down by their D.

Team Fingerprint
High pressure D from their guards. They try to force turnovers and block shots to get out into transition (sound familiar?) They shade PnR screens and funnel into the middle help, where both Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler are competent getting switched onto smaller guys generally without fouling. They'll switch guards onto bigs at times, which we should punish if they do. The guards will then front, so we may have open lobs or dump-off. The Jasper/Kessler PnR defense is very good. They stay home on shooters, so they don't give up a lot of open 3's.

They press on and off, and they use different ones, and also ran a couple different zones including a 1-3-1, so it's a lot to prepare for. They played better D when not pressing against USF. They rotate their guys, play 10 deep, with a high bench min% nationally.

When not in transition, on offense they're pretty good at kicking out for 3's on closeout drives. Have to stay with shooters. They're not generally great shooters, but they do have 9 guys who have attempted 3's on the year. If their wings make 3's, they're hard to beat, but if they don't.... They run a lot of mediocre pick and roll, but Pearl can adjust. They attacked some weaknesses of USF's coverage in the 2nd half.

Scouting Report
Starters:
PG - Wendell Green - 5'11" - Transfer from Eastern Kentucky. Hasn't been distributing that well. Struggling with shot after being solid last year. Grabs and gos on defensive boards and is the key that gets them going with pace. Will get up and under guards on D.
2G - Zep Jasper - 6'1" - Senior glue guy. Passes a little, shoots a little. Keys their pressure defense. Lock-down smaller perimeter defender.
SF - Devan Cambridge - 6'6"- Has started last 2 games. Shoots a lot but has been off. Does almost nothing else on offense except catch lobs. Decent switchable wing on D.
PF - Jabari Smith - Top 10 recruit. 6'10", incredible athlete. Can shoot from 3. Cleans the glass. Blocks shots and disrupts offense. Can switch onto guards and contain them. When he has the ball have to keep him in front of you and make him shoot pull ups or attack his handle, but he's been red hot from 3. Had a couple real nice outlet passes. Color guy compared him to slightly smaller Evan Mobley and I see it.
C - Walker Kessler - 7'1" - Big body, can protect the rim and board. Somewhat invisible on offense (they need to find him more when he's got position). Will occasionally stretch floor but hasn't made any yet. Moves his feet pretty well on D, moves like he played volleyball growing up. He's going to be a problem for our offense, but hopefully won't be an issue getting our guys in foul trouble on the other end.

Rotation:
KD Johnson - Stocky guard. Offensive punch now off the bench. Has made a couple 3s in each game this year. Menace on D and draws a bunch of fouls on O. Will get downhill and finish strong (but not sure he can dunk).
Jaylin Williams - Bench big wing, but they play him at center in some smaller, switchable lineups. He can attack closeouts and pass a bit. Score in a few different ways. Nice bench piece.
Chris Moore - Didn't play much against USF. He's the 4th wing in the rotation. Good size, can draw fouls.
Dylan Cardwell - Bench big. Doesn't get a ton of minutes, but might against us. Wider than I remembered him to be. Can hit the offensive boards and block shots.

Reserves:
Lior Berman - High energy. Scrappy. You get it. Never shoots, but keeps the ball moving.

Injured:
Allen Flanigan

Interesting Stats
  • 10th least opponent assists per field goal. Don't give up a lot of 3's and PnR switches encourages hero ball.
  • 13th least non-steal turnovers committed rate, 153rd steal turnover rate. They don't throw the ball out of bounds, charge, or travel, but do cough up steals.
  • 1st best opponent FT%. They either have gotten extremely lucky or only foul opponent bigs by design.
  • 8th best block rate. Smith and Kessler are really big and long.
  • 17/37 - 46%. The 3pt% of KD Johnson, Jabari Smith, and Zep Jasper.
  • 6/46 - 14%. The 3pt% of everyone else on their roster.
I will be curious after this game to read your informative post again......and I will want to say ditch that day job and put on a suit soldier.....you should be on the Husky deep throat list lingering in the shadows in the wee hours of the dark morning waiting on a suitcase drop off.....or.....it will be what the heck you burning?

Grateful for the enemy edu in 5 minutes.......thanks, nice job.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Their big will be more of a defensive nuisance than offensive, I think, unless they radically change his usage from previous games. And who knows, maybe they will.
Well, maybe this becomes the game where Hurley puts Akok at the 5 to draw him away from the basket.

Reaction Score
Will be a real test for Sanogo against either Kessler or Smith
if sanogo's going to impress the association scouts in atlantis he needs to dominate these guys. they aren't exactly lotto picks. he should be able to out maneuver the behemoth kessler and overpower the athletic smith.

Reaction Score
if sanogo's going to impress the association scouts in atlantis he needs to dominate these guys. they aren't exactly lotto picks. he should be able to out maneuver the behemoth kessler and overpower the athletic smith.
I mean one of them is. Jabari Smith is projected top 3 right now on Tankathon. And Walker Kessler was a top 15 recruit last year.

Reaction Score
I mean one of them is. Jabari Smith is projected top 3 right now on Tankathon. And Walker Kessler was a top 15 recruit last year.
well then... the scouting report didnt exactly read like we were going up against 2 bigs getting drafted next summer. i just checked some mocks and kessler's also a projected second round pick. doesnt the front court edge have to go to auburn in that case?

never the less, i'll revise my former statement to say sanogo needs to hold his own if he wants to impress the scouts.

Reaction Score
well then... the scouting report didnt exactly read like we were going up against 2 bigs getting drafted next summer. i just checked some mocks and kessler's also a projected second round pick. doesnt the front court edge have to go to auburn in that case?
Here are some relevant parts (emphasis bolded).
Strengths to avoid:
  • They can guard 1v1 in the post, so we're not going to have a lot of kickout 3's. Will be a real test for Sanogo against either Kessler or Smith. A lot of length and good timing.
PF - Jabari Smith - Top 10 recruit. 6'10", incredible athlete. Can shoot from 3. Cleans the glass. Blocks shots and disrupts offense. Can switch onto guards and contain them. When he has the ball have to keep him in front of you and make him shoot pull ups or attack his handle, but he's been red hot from 3. Had a couple real nice outlet passes. Color guy compared him to slightly smaller Evan Mobley and I see it.
They try to force turnovers and block shots to get out into transition (sound familiar?) They shade PnR screens and funnel into the middle help, where both Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler are competent getting switched onto smaller guys generally without fouling.... The Jasper/Kessler PnR defense is very good.
8th best block rate. Smith and Kessler are really big and long.
C - Walker Kessler - 7'1" - Big body, can protect the rim and board....He's going to be a problem for our offense...

Right now, neither are big post scorers, because Auburn hasn't really been going to Kessler on the blocks more than a couple times a game (averaging 3 2-point shots a game), and Smith has more of a perimeter/face-up game. But the defensive impact was covered extensively. On the other hand, our bigs are really good, and really strong and are more experienced, so I'm not going to dismiss their chances out of hand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where is that weave?
Going Out Wave GIF by Graduation
Beyonce Braids GIF

Reaction Score
this listed as a weakness to exploit is what threw me:
Their bigs have rebounded well defensively, but they haven't played the brawn of Whaley/Sanogo. It'll be interesting if we can push them around on the glass or not.
having looked up their measurements i.e., 6'10 220 and 7'1 245, i just dont see our bigs pushing these guys around.

then i further realized it's not just that theyre bigger- they also both have the skill/talent to be nba bound next summer.

i agree our bigs are really big and good... but maybe not that big and good. this is going to be a much bigger challenge (pun intended) than i thought is all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom