What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC?

Reaction Score
So based on your info, Uconn has only had one sellout in the past ten years? If no one is going to the games, why should espn think people will be watching them on tv.
The stated premise was that higher attendance is needed but a competitive team on the field is required to fill the seats. Looking back, UConn could fill its stadium under the right conditions.

I’d guess a ranked UConn with a good Indy schedule would fill the seats again.

Reaction Score
If anyone can get UConn into the AAU it may be the current president Tom Katsouleas. He is planning to double research funding to $500 million over the next decade. He has the background to understand how to do it.
Again, Nebraska was kicked out as the emphasis has shifted to Medical research, and research at satellite medical campuses doesn’t count. It would seem UConn is in a similar position as Nebraska.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So based on your info, Uconn has only had one sellout in the past ten years? If no one is going to the games, why should espn think people will be watching them on tv.
Lol, you seem to be struggling pretty hard to troll here. I've already answered above, reread my post above and see if can figure out the answer. (Clue - I reject your notion that football stadium sellouts will be the basis for any future expansion. It hasn't been a criteria to date.)

CL82

Reaction Score
The stated premise was that higher attendance is needed but a competitive team on the field is required to fill the seats. Looking back, UConn could fill its stadium under the right conditions.

I’d guess a ranked UConn with a good Indy schedule would fill the seats again.
Lol, I don't disagree Z, but we are miles away from being a ranked team. (Especially since we would actually have had to play some games be ranked.) [Shrugs]

Reaction Score
Again, Nebraska was kicked out as the emphasis has shifted to Medical research, and research at satellite medical campuses doesn’t count. It would seem UConn is in a similar position as Nebraska.
It may not be as much as a question if the med school is at a satellite campus, as much as it is not affiliated with the main campus. I believe the UConn Health Center and Storrs campus are affiliated. Many med schools are in other communities than the main campus. Here is what I see from Inside Higher Education:

The University of Nebraska system's medical school is not affiliated with the flagship Lincoln campus, meaning that federal grants for health research are not counted among the overall research expenditures. The university also is heavily focused on agricultural research, but the AAU does not give Agriculture Department grants as much weight.

Reaction Score
Lol, you seem to be struggling pretty hard to troll here. I've already answered above, reread my post above and see if can figure out the answer. (Clue - I reject your notion that football stadium sellouts will be the basis for any future expansion. It hasn't been a criteria to date.)
Do you believe that football attendance (or lack of it) indicates the level of support for the team? Do you believe that support for the team is important in conference realignment? If it’s simply the size of the market that matters, wouldn’t the ACC be going after Columbia or Fordham?

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you believe that football attendance (or lack of it) indicates the level of support for the team? Do you believe that support for the team is important in conference realignment? If it’s simply the size of the market that matters, wouldn’t the ACC be going after Columbia or Fordham?
Sure it does, as a snap shot. The point that I made, and that @Zissou figured out was that UConn has drawn well in the past. There is not reason to think that that cannot happen again with a successful team.

Now here's a few questions for you:

Do you believe that ACC only sponsor's a single sport, namely football?
Do you believe that the sole indicator of support for a university is the number football fans?
Does the ACC broadcast any sports other than football?
Does the ACC care if anyone watches those other sports?
Do TV ratings matter at all?
Does UConn draw viewers for basketball broadcasts?
In this cable cutting world, are potential subscribers important?
Does population impact potential subscribers?

(I'll note again, that I think CR is unlikely in the foreseeable future. Do you agree?)

Reaction Score

Based on your record in meaningful games, a MWC invite is waiting for you

Reaction Score
I guess the way Edsall left turned fans off. We do have the most emo fanbase in the US. Notre Dame has the most spoiled.

By the time Pasqualoni was fired, the stadium was almost empty at times, headed towards a winless season. Till the legend of Casey Cochran. TJ Weist actually heard me yell "Put in Casey!" while getting beat by Louisville in a stadium so empty that he could hear me. Glad he listened.

We have low standards for legends for the time being in football.

Reaction Score
Sure it does, as a snap shot. The point that I made, and that @Zissou figured out was that UConn has drawn well in the past. There is not reason to think that that cannot happen again with a successful team.

Do you believe that the sole indicator of support for a university is the number football fans?

(I'll note again, that I think CR is unlikely in the foreseeable future. Do you agree?)
I think football is the only sport that matters for conference realignment. Is there any evidence to the contrary?

Reaction Score
Based on your record in meaningful games, a MWC invite is waiting for you

I expect we would turn it down. As we did with the Big Ten, when they wanted us.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think football is the only sport that matters for conference realignment. Is there any evidence to the contrary?
Lol, Rutgers to the Big 10?

Feel free to answer the other questions....

Reaction Score
And FSU before Ville. Don’t forget UNC’s fake classes!

Of course FSU is ranked by US News & WR as #19 in Top Public Collegs and Universities and #58 in National Universities...right there with UConn ( #63).

Reaction Score
After reading the Missouri AAU article, it would seem to me that achieving an AAU invite is even more unlikely than landing a P5 invite.

AAU shifted its research emphasis to medical research. The article notes that only main campus research counts in its evaluation. Like Nebraska, UConn’s medical school is not on main campus.

As AAU membership is capped, who does UConn replace (once it relocates its medical school).
I am guilty of derailing this ACC thread but since it's off the rails already. . .

The AAU added three members in 2019 to bring membership to 65 so perhaps it's not as capped as they say.

And yet it's the reality.

"Big Ten member institutions are major research universities with large financial endowments and strong academic reputations. All institutions except full member University of Nebraska and associate member Notre Dame are members of the Association of American Universities."

The article states that Nebraska's medical research is at its Omaha campus and not its main campus. I think this refers to separate schools and not physical location, and I think UConn is one. Not sure.

Nevertheless, obviously the ACC is a different racket than the B1G so it's all conversation.

Reaction Score
The difference between adding a UConn vs WVU could come down to academics...

WVU has pretty good sports...a national brand,,,(and if TV watching now counts more than markets, decent match up capabilities). They make a natural rival for Pitt.

But,,,, I could see academia preferring UConn and thet Presidents wrestling with ESPN.

Us fans...we don't really give a rip. Just want good sports programs...football first. But Presidents will focus differently.

Reaction Score
The difference between adding a UConn vs WVU could come down to academics...

WVU has pretty good sports...a national brand,,,(and if TV watching now counts more than markets, decent match up capabilities). They make a natural rival for Pitt.

But,,,, I could see academia preferring UConn and thet Presidents wrestling with ESPN.

Us fans...we don't really give a rip. Just want good sports programs...football first. But Presidents will focus differently.
You are trying to be kind, but you know that academics are meaningless. Presidents are meaningless. ESPN and the ACC are essentially married. Connecticut lawmakers could have pressured ESPN a decade ago to give UConn a lift, but they were disinterested apparently and now can do nothing about it. The question is who is really making the decisions. UConn fans, including myself, may not have liked your posts over the years, but mostly you have been correct. Not only that, but with each passing year, UConn falls further and further behind as its former peers receive 5 to nearly 10 times the income that UConn receives on a yearly basis. For example, this is made clear by the great strides made by Rutgers since they have joined the Big Ten. I don't think UConn could even compete with them on the basketball court now and forget about football.

Reaction Score
Buddy...when you are talking about a sports league, you are right that USNWR rankings may not really matter.

Alabama and Ole Miss can tout Vanderbilt as their conference's academic school...but to the sports conference, Vanderbilt is really an afterthought.

I did notice that FSU's President poo-pooed going to the big 12..in a email to boosters saying that the "faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker."

So...when things are close between two prospective additions...I could see academics play in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The fact so far, for the ACC, is that ESPN has valued football as 80% of the contract...

And matches that compell people to watch are of high value....no matter how transmitted.

The Big East contract would be more remunerative if basketball drew the national numbers that footbal does.

Does anybody know, or care, that UNC has won 22 Women's Soccer National Championships since 1980 ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And largest college basketball audiences in the 2019-20 season...

1...Duke-UNC
2...Duke-Kansas
3...St. John's-Xavier
4...MSU-Kentucky
5...OSU-Kentucky
6...UNC-Duke
7...MSU-Purdue
8...Louisville-Duke
9...Kentucky-TTU
10..OSU-MSU

And there were 10-14 football games almost every week of the season that drew more than the highest rated of these basketball games.

CL82

Reaction Score
The fact so far, for the ACC, is that ESPN has valued football as 80% of the contract...

And matches that compell people to watch are of high value....no matter how transmitted.

The Big East contract would be more remunerative if basketball drew the national numbers that footbal does.

Does anybody know, or care, that UNC has won 22 Women's Soccer National Championships since 1980 ?
Hey Billy I’m guessing here, but we’re sure about that 80% number, which sounds right to me, because Notre Dame has 20% of a normal share? Just curious. You are usually pretty good about having a source when you’re that specific with a number.

It took me a second to try to figure out what the non sequitur at the bottom of your post was about. I think, and sometimes you can be a little obscure, but, I think that you were attempting to analogize UNC soccer viewership to UConn women’s basketball viewership. I think you can do that if you believe that UNC women’s soccer viewership has ever out drawn NBA games in the same time-slot. You’re not suggesting that are you? If not, it’s kind of an apples and oranges comparison, right?

( Just to be clear, there are only a handful of teams that move the needle for conference realignment at this point. Notre Dame would be one if it was an already contractually limited to the ACC. Since it has no competitive market there really is no way to get a competitive value. I do not believe the University of Connecticut is one, and apparently neither do they since they join the Big East. The only way I can see it happening is if ESPN decides it is worthwhile. The only scenario that I can see that might lead it to that belief is that taking Connecticut gains extra value by hurting Fox. Again, I don’t think that’s particularly likely.)

Reaction Score
The power conferences have a few elite programs and everyone else. I don't doubt that UConn could at least be the same 4-7 that Louisville is if UConn had been invited instead. Add in the academics and basketball championships and it's case closed. So Louisville was selected because it happened to be hot at that time? Makes no sense at all. Rutgers has beaten Michigan St, Purdue and Maryland. Maryland beat Minnesota and Penn State. That P5 money sure does help. Unless you're Syracuse (1-10).

CL82

Reaction Score
The power conferences have a few elite programs and everyone else. I don't doubt that UConn could at least be the same 4-7 that Louisville is if UConn had been invited instead. Add in the academics and basketball championships and it's case closed. So Louisville was selected because it happened to be hot at that time? Makes no sense at all. Rutgers has beaten Michigan St, Purdue and Maryland. Maryland beat Minnesota and Penn State. That P5 money sure does help. Unless you're Syracuse (1-10).
No doubt that we could compete. I just can’t see any economic viable reason for anyone to invite us, other than the somewhat tortured logic about Fox.

Reaction Score

U Nebraska's medical school is a couple of blocks from the campus of the University of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO). UNO was a private university before being taken-over by Nebraska. UNO is a distinct, separate 15,000 student campus with its own D1 sports program. UConn Health in Farmington is just the medical school and hospital. No campus, no dorms, not sports teams. Cornell's medical school is 250 miles away in New York City, Penn State's medical school is 100 miles away in Hershey, Indiana's main medical school is 50 miles away in Indianapolis and is part of a Indiana University–Purdue University - a distinct college similar to UNO. They are all AAU programs. While the quality of UConn Health is a concern at this time, having it located 50 miles away from the main campus does not seem to be a critical issue.

Reaction Score
CL82...that non sequitor about women's soccer really had to do with the TV value of non revenue sports...

The ACC is terrific at soccer and lacrosse...but limited interest and thus limited value compared to football...men's basketball.

80 % is football money....

"For example, in this latest contract with ESPN, 80 percent of it is generated by football," Phillips told TigerNet.com. "As good as basketball has been in the ACC, it is very evident just through this contract that the football has to be very, very relevant."

Now, page down to the bottom of this old interview with Swofford, and he confirms that figure:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom