What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC?

Reaction Score
Lol, Rutgers to the Big 10?

Feel free to answer the other questions....
People seem to forget that Rutgers had two consecutive 9-4 seasons before they were added to the Big Ten. I have no doubt that if Uconn were to have two consecutive 9-4 seasons, they would be in line for a Big Ten or ACC spot.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
People seem to forget that Rutgers had two consecutive 9-4 seasons before they were added to the Big Ten. I have no doubt that if Uconn were to have two consecutive 9-4 seasons, they would be in line for a Big Ten or ACC spot.
Lol. It's like you aren't even trying anymore.

(RU had a losing season it's last year in the American before it went to the B1G, but you knew that right?)

Reaction Score
Lol.
It's like you aren't even trying anymore.
you seem to be the one that forgot that Rutgers actually had a couple of decent football seasons a few years ago. apparently, that’s what it takes to get into a major conference ( in conjunction with proximity to a major metro) Take a look at the title of this thread. “What can Uconn do to get competitive if an opening comes up in the ACC“. What Uconn can do is have a couple of winning football seasons.

CL82

Reaction Score
you seem to be the one that forgot that Rutgers actually had a couple of decent football seasons a few years ago. apparently, that’s what it takes to get into a major conference ( in conjunction with proximity to a major metro) Take a look at the title of this thread. “What can Uconn do to get competitive if an opening comes up in the ACC“. What Uconn can do is have a couple of winning football seasons.
Your argument that RU got into the B1G because of two 9-4 seasons is, well, kind of silly. Especially when you realize that those 9-4 records are wedged between two losing seasons. (6-7 and 4-8). It is pretty well established that the B1G took Rutgers to get 1st tier access to the NYC DMA. I mean, you know that right?

Sure winning is a good thing abstractly, but it rarely has been the reason for CR.

Reaction Score
Billy's view....each conference add may have different individual reasoning.

1...Rutgers was added to go east and to pick up TV sets in NY-NJ.

2...The Big 12 didn't find a needle mover so stayed with a pat hand

3...The ACC, yada, yada

Reaction Score
Your argument that RU got into the B1G because of two 9-4 seasons is, well, kind of silly. Especially when you realize that those 9-4 records are wedged between two losing seasons. (6-7 and 4-8). It is pretty well established that the B1G took Rutgers to get 1st tier access to the NYC DMA. I mean, you know that right?

Sure winning is a good thing abstractly, but it rarely has been the reason for CR.

because so many people in the NY market follow Rutgers. now who is being silly.

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in the fight about population and conferences adding schools for additional TV sets. I am curious though; does anyone have data on how many cable contracts were gained by ESPN when Rutgirls joined the B1G?

My guess is that it didn't move the needle very much.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in the fight about population and conferences adding schools for additional TV sets. I am curious though; does anyone have data on how many cable contracts were gained by ESPN when Rutgirls joined the B1G?

The benefit isn't ratings it is 1st tier pricing. The B1G got that upon RU joining. No performance is necessary for it to kick in.
because so many people in the NY market follow Rutgers. now who is being silly.
Mmm, not really how it works, so ... still you.

Reaction Score

The proof is in the movement of the revenue...as a moon's density may be calculated by the gravitational pull on a planet...the value of the Big Ten's additions may be surmised by the increased contract revenue.

The Big Ten had major media money upgrades in 2017...The media payed more because the product was more valuable.

...Earlier this month, USA Today reported that the Big Ten’s revenue in 2018 was $759,000,000—up 48% from 2017. The increase was mostly attributable to a new media rights deal the went into effect in 2018. (That same media rights deal is why we now get fewer Big Ten basketball games on ESPN2 and ESPNU, and more on Fox and FS1.)

....FORBES
But no one, even Delany could predict what would happen in 2015. By adding Maryland and Rutgers, the conference was able to go back and renegotiate all their carriage rights deals. In June 2015, they reported a whopping 33% one year increase of revenues (including the brand new College Football Playoff infusion of cash). By 2018, all media deals collectively brought in $759 million dollars.

...Dennis Dodd, a Senior Writer at CBS Sports, reported on Thursday that Big Ten members will each receive over $60 million in media rights revenue in 2025. That number is expected to increase to $70 million by the end of the decade. This number includes the money earned from media rights to both football and basketball, as well as anything earned from the typically non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
College sports has become commoditized by corporations. That being said, the UConn athletic department just needs to be competent, at least, and we'll be in some power conference. We have over 20 national titles. Not many schools can say that.

Hard to believe conference alignment is now being based on athletics and markets. The development of transportation and media outlets sure changed how conferences take shape now. The large majority of Ivy League schools are near or on Post Road between Boston to Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
College sports has become commoditized by corporations. That being said, the UConn athletic department just needs to be competent, at least, and we'll be in some power conference. We have over 20 national titles. Not many schools can say that.

Hard to believe conference alignment is now being based on athletics and markets. The development of transportation and media outlets sure changed how conferences take shape now. The large majority of Ivy League schools are near or on Post Road between Boston to Philadelphia.

The world changes...when I was 18, people watched football primarily in person, at the stadium....they did have a couple of black and white broadcasts that you could watch on the big sceen (17 inches was big at the time). But most people that actually watched a game, did so in person.

Football conferences were based on regionalty or some commonality...when I got to college, we travelled..it was a lifestyle. In person viewing at many schools is still a lifestyle for those that do.....but TV and big screen,
high def is changing that mode for many.

And football has grown beyond school fandom...we watch football games of teams that we aren't really fans of...it has become TV entertainment...let's find a good match up and grab a beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And you know, Butch...

We are in a strange transition zone...

On the one hand, we still view football in the old traditional mode...a game played by school boys that fans would cheer. The way it was in 1964 when I graduated high school.

On the other, we have programs spending $100 million a year on athletics and TV paying billions with millions watching the top 10 or so games every week. A different world that is discordant with the former view.

Some programs are outriders of this phenomenom...maybe more like the Ivy League where football is still played without the entertainment trappings...we bemoan the commercialized aspect of the sport while yearning to have its rewards.

The dichotomy can't last forever...and thus the move into two camps...the monied and the not. I think that it will continue in that direction as we become more comfortable with football as it is today.

Reaction Score
And you know, Butch...

We are in a strange transition zone...

On the one hand, we still view football in the old traditional mode...a game played by school boys that fans would cheer. The way it was in 1964 when I graduated high school.

On the other, we have programs spending $100 million a year on athletics and TV paying billions with millions watching the top 10 or so games every week. A different world that is discordant with the former view.

Some programs are outriders of this phenomenom...maybe more like the Ivy League where football is still played without the entertainment trappings...we bemoan the commercialized aspect of the sport while yearning to have its rewards.

The dichotomy can't last forever...and thus the move into two camps...the monied and the not. I think that it will continue in that direction as we become more comfortable with football as it is today.
Humans are generally raised to believe they have ego-based issues. The spiritual realm is not enough for most.

Imagine the Ivies going back to their theological roots.

Reaction Score

The ACC is definitely looking to expand, if my literacy skills are still intact. They'll probably take Wesleyan over us. ?

Reaction Score
Many of us are, perhaps, like the Ivies in that regard.

Who we have been at different times in our life is incorporated into who we are today. But we are not static...we move on.

If we are lucky, we have a solid base from our youth. We have roots. But we do evolve.

And football, I think, is the same.

Reaction Score
UConn will be very lucky to go .500 over the next couple of seasons and if the goal is to schedule more P5 programs the record will reflect that. I keep looking at Cinci and Houston. The great state of Ohio is 7th in terms of population and has only one P5 program. Houston is the 4th largest city.

I'm not sure UConn would be next in line if the ACC is ever looking to expand.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn will be very lucky to go .500 over the next couple of seasons and if the goal is to schedule more P5 programs the record will reflect that. I keep looking at Cinci and Houston. The great state of Ohio is 7th in terms of population and has only one P5 program. Houston is the 4th largest city.

I'm not sure UConn would be next in line if the ACC is ever looking to expand.
Based on conference realignment rule #1, they will be, only to be stepped over at the last second.

We're a good fit for the ACC, well not the original ACC but this version that is the ACC plus Old Big East schools. That said, I don't see the economics justifying expansion.

I'm not in any hurry to move on. I'm enjoying the prospect of more Big East games.

Reaction Score
Based on conference realignment rule #1, they will be, only to be stepped over at the last second.

We're a good fit for the ACC, well not the original ACC but this version that is the ACC plus Old Big East schools. That said, I don't see the economics justifying expansion.

I'm not in any hurry to move on. I'm enjoying the prospect of more Big East games.
I would agree with your post, except for the next to last sentence. The thought of some of P5 schools that are absolutely no better than UConn raking in 30-70 million a year, while UConn in the Big East is getting a pittance, is just not right.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would agree with your post, except for the next to last sentence. The thought of some of P5 schools that are absolutely no better than UConn raking in 30-70 million a year, while UConn in the Big East is getting a pittance, is just not right.
Agree, financially but I'm glad to be out of the American and playing against teams that are reasonable distances (mostly) from the school.

Buddy what do think the likelihood is of further CR in the near term? I don't see it it happening.

Reaction Score
The proof is in the movement of the revenue...as a moon's density may be calculated by the gravitational pull on a planet...the value of the Big Ten's additions may be surmised by the increased contract revenue.

The Big Ten had major media money upgrades in 2017...The media payed more because the product was more valuable.

...Earlier this month, USA Today reported that the Big Ten’s revenue in 2018 was $759,000,000—up 48% from 2017. The increase was mostly attributable to a new media rights deal the went into effect in 2018. (That same media rights deal is why we now get fewer Big Ten basketball games on ESPN2 and ESPNU, and more on Fox and FS1.)

....FORBES
But no one, even Delany could predict what would happen in 2015. By adding Maryland and Rutgers, the conference was able to go back and renegotiate all their carriage rights deals. In June 2015, they reported a whopping 33% one year increase of revenues (including the brand new College Football Playoff infusion of cash). By 2018, all media deals collectively brought in $759 million dollars.

...Dennis Dodd, a Senior Writer at CBS Sports, reported on Thursday that Big Ten members will each receive over $60 million in media rights revenue in 2025. That number is expected to increase to $70 million by the end of the decade. This number includes the money earned from media rights to both football and basketball, as well as anything earned from the typically non-revenue sports.
The money increased because of the addition of the two teams just as the money increased in the ACC when Pitt and SU joined.

My question was whether ESPN actually increased the number of cable boxes in the NY/NJ area?

Reaction Score
What happens to conference realignment when broadcast agreements start to expire in a couple of years? Will the B12 survive? If UConn is still stuck with FB independence/New Big East could it join with an east coast division of B12 along with Army, Navy, Tulane etc.? Obviously, ACC or B10 are better options.

Reaction Score
Agree, financially but I'm glad to be out of the American and playing against teams that are reasonable distances (mostly) from the school.

Buddy what do think the likelihood is of further CR in the near term? I don't see it it happening.
I am far from an expert, just a die hard UConn fan and alumnus and an angry old man. when it comes to CR. I agree that UConn and the American were not a good fit, and it is too bad that UConn didn't go the indy route in football when the American was starting and UConn may have been able to stay in the Big East for olympic sports and never been a member of the American to begin with. I don't think it is fair either that schools who have far worse athletics departments than UConn are getting a big payday, especially some of our former Big East brethren now in the ACC. I have been of the belief that UConn administration flubbed its chance when Louisville was chosen. I am of the belief that the state legislators did nothing to advance UConn to the P5. I am of the belief that ESPN could have been forced by the State to be sure UConn was included. I believe that there will be conference realignment again, but it will be a contraction, not addition. I don't know if the GOR protects conference members or only the conference itself.
Some think ND will join the ACC and they will then balance by addition. I doubt that that would happen.
Happy New Year!

Reaction Score
The money increased because of the addition of the two teams just as the money increased in the ACC when Pitt and SU joined.

My question was whether ESPN actually increased the number of cable boxes in the NY/NJ area?
It is irrelevant....the money increased...whether because of more viewers we do not know...more teams doesn't automatically translate to more money for the network unless it adds network revenue...the Big 12 would be more than 10 teams if just adding teams made for more revenue.

The assumption is that more revenue pumped into the networks so more revenue could be paid to the conference.

Reaction Score
..the Big 12 would be more than 10 teams if just adding teams made for more revenue.

The additional teams must generate not just more money, but enough money so that average per school payout does not fall.

The B12 paid out ~$37M to each school last year. Any additional school must generate an extra $37M in revenue, or per school payouts fall.

(Or somehow lower average costs -- eg, adding a school like Cinci to pair with WV for the trips East.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom