Westbrook waiver denied | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Westbrook waiver denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper was denied her waiver to SC and her appeal was denied as well . The whole bad treatment at UT is false news. She dug her own grave with her comments during the NCAA tourney. No player should ever voice there opinion on that stage even if they are 100% factually correct.
I sincerely hope you are never in a position of power. There might have been a more tactful way to say what she said, but nobody should ever have to suffer in silence regardless of if they’re a student athlete or not. If Holly can say she needed more out of her players why can’t Evina say she needed more from the staff she played for?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It said Shephard’s appeal was successful. The way I took it, and I’m guessing @uconnell did as well, was that for an appeal to be successful a waiver has to be denied and then an appeal made, but I’m likely comprehending it incorrectly.

I think that's verb appeal like UConn just appealed for a waiver, not noun appeal as in a formal request to overturn the original decision.

Reaction Score
Te'a Cooper was denied her waiver to SC and her appeal was denied as well . The whole bad treatment at UT is false news. She dug her own grave with her comments during the NCAA tourney. No player should ever voice there opinion on that stage even if they are 100% factually correct.

Phillip Fulmer Holly Warlick, is that you?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone else may have already made this point, but according to Geno, if UConn files their appeal by Tuesday they expect an answer from the NCAA by Wednesday.

Dum spiro spero
(While I breath I hope)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not the news I was hoping for. I never had a good feeling about this. I wonder how the TN faithful are receiving this news? :(

Reaction Score
:(:(

Hoping for positive response to the Appeal... :):)

BUT, if not, let's hope this is the only disappointment our UCONN WBB Team receives this Season... all the way to April! :cool:

GO HUSKIES!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not the news I was hoping for. I never had a good feeling about this. I wonder how the TN faithful are receiving this news? :(
So far VolNation is relatively supportive of Evina with a couple exceptions. One thing both LV and Husky fans appear to agree on is that the NCAA is inconsistent and arbitrary in their application of waiver requests.

Reaction Score
If this holds, I feel terrible for Evina. Sitting on the bench in street clothes and being a practice player can’t be what she had in mind when she decided to transfer.
Unless she thought she had an ironclad case for a waiver, it's what she should have expected.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless she thought she had an ironclad case for a waiver, it's what she should have expected.
Why? If we’ve seen anything from the NCAA relative to waiver requests it is that no one knows what to expect. While I certainly don’t know the details of Evina’s waiver request, clearly Geno and Dick Benedict didn’t expect this decision.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As much as I feel bad about Evina personally, I also think this greatly complicates our recruitment.

By pushing her back to 2021, 2022 I worry that this will make it harder to recruit Azzi since a three guard rotation of CW (Sr) , Paige (Sophmore) and Evina(Sr) would be pretty firmly established and Azzi would most likely be coming off the bench her freshman year. For those who say Evina would have left for the WNBA, she needs 2 years to establish herself at a level where she can go pro imho.

And from Evina's point of view, I doubt she would beat out Paige coming in at the same time so Evina would probably be the third guard

If she had 2020 to establish herself in the system and excel, I think in 2021, she would have been the 2nd guard with Paige coming in off the bench (significant minutes of course) which I think Paige would have no issue with psychologically and Evina would have the experience to make a push for top status and strong potential for the WNBA

I would love some one to tell me I am dead wrong.

Reaction Score
The more attention this gets on social media the better off Westbrook is! You would have to think that as dumb as the NCAA is, they are smart enough to know when they are going to get eviscerated in the court of public opinion. With all the attention the "pay for likeness" argument is generating, the last thing the NCAA wants/needs is another black eye.

Reaction Score
As much as I feel bad about Evina personally, I also think this greatly complicates our recruitment.

By pushing her back to 2021, 2022 I worry that this will make it harder to recruit Azzi since a three guard rotation of CW (Sr) , Paige (Sophmore) and Evina(Sr) would be pretty firmly established and Azzi would most likely be coming off the bench her freshman year. For those who say Evina would have left for the WNBA, she needs 2 years to establish herself at a level where she can go pro imho.

And from Evina's point of view, I doubt she would beat out Paige coming in at the same time so Evina would probably be the third guard

If she had 2020 to establish herself in the system and excel, I think in 2021, she would have been the 2nd guard with Paige coming in off the bench (significant minutes of course) which I think Paige would have no issue with psychologically and Evina would have the experience to make a push for top status and strong potential for the WNBA

You are dead wrong!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

By pushing her back to 2021, 2022 I worry that this will make it harder to recruit Azzi since a three guard rotation of CW (Sr) , Paige (Sophmore) and Evina(Sr) would be pretty firmly established and Azzi would most likely be coming off the bench. For those who say Evina would have left for the WNBA, she needs 2 years to establish herself at a level where she can go pro imho.

If she had 2020 to establish herself in the system and excel, I think in 2021, she would have been the 2nd guard with Paige coming in off the bench (significant minutes of course) and Evina would have the experience to make a push for top status and strong potential

I agree but the fat lady hasn't sung yet. 1) There is an appeal pending 2) Evina still has an option to turn pro this spring 3) There was always a slight possibility that Evina might still be on the roster with Azzi.
There are alot of angry people on the BY, I would just like to remind them that is was public pressure via social media that caused Kansas State and the NCAA to reverse itself and make Leticia Romero immediate available for FSU. If I understand correctly we have until Tuesday to be heard.

1572645389260.png

Reaction Score
Why? If we’ve seen anything from the NCAA relative to waiver requests it is that no one knows what to expect. While I certainly don’t know the details of Evina’s waiver request, clearly Geno and Dick Benedict didn’t expect this decision.
Just because I'd rather be pleasantly surprised like Shepard than disappointed because I expected the NCAA to do anything that made sense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I view this a little differently. I believe a healthy Evina would have earned the starting wing spot this year over Ania and/or Aubrey. If she is forced to sit out this season, Ania and Aubrey will have a distinct advantage with one of them, likely Ania, earning the starting spot.

Next year, 4 starters return with one open spot at pg. While Evina played some pg at TN, she is far more effective as a 2 or 3 imo. I believe Paige starts at pg next season no matter who’s on the team. That would then relegate Evina to a 6th or 7th man role unless she can beat out Ania, Aubrey and 2 talented freshmen as the starting wing.

Reaction Score
Well, that sucks. But, like others I think there could be a silver lining to this as it will allow Evina to have an opportunity to fully recover from her surgery without the pressure of having to play high level basketball while in pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom