We're number 1! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We're number 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t know if the people that vote in the AP or Coach’s polls look at Massey but here it is. UConn plays #122 Dayton and Stanford plays #158 Hawaii tonight

6BF77463-EE60-428C-A442-4072A7A979B2.jpeg

4454064B-6747-4826-A5A0-6F7C63D23236.jpeg

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'd put SC in the top 3-4 without question...........supposedly Pao Pao perplexed her coaches in Oregon with her streakiness and what some claim was a lack of focus at times............I didn't see her on a game-by-game basis so I'm not sure how legit the criticisms were...........all things being equal, would you rather have her or Azzi on your team? I'll gladly take Fudd and I'm certain so would Dawn......... in a heartbeat........I haven't seen this version of SC yet this season............where is the scoring going to come from other than those three players?
I agree in principle, however three good offensive players can be enough. Especially if the team is very adept at defense. I'm not saying 3 is always enough, just that it can be.

Reaction Score
We will have to see how the Huskies look in their season opener tonight. If they thoroughly dominate the game, I think they would take over the No. 1 spot in the polls. If Dayton gives them a fight, they may well stay at No. 2. It's all meaningless this early in the season anyway and since the NCAA champion comes out of a single elimination tournament, a No. 1 ranking, while nice for recruiting, ultimately doesn't mean all that much.

To get the No. 1 ranking, don't forget that SC would have to jump over Iowa as well, who had a pretty good opening day outing. Yes, SC's win over ND by 29 points was impressive, but without Miles, was ND a legitimate No. 10 team? That's open for debate after only one game. Actually, everything is open to debate after only one game.

Reaction Score
I’m just surprised Kim played a ranked opponent before January, it’s a nice change of pace.
I think they also play Va Tech at home during the ACC/SEC challenge. So we should
see if there is any improvement.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if the people that vote in the AP or Coach’s polls look at Massey but here it is. UConn plays #122 Dayton and Stanford plays #158 Hawaii tonight

View attachment 92857

View attachment 92856
I don’t think there’s very much meaning in the Massey ratings until everyone has played at least one game. Right now, everyone who hasn’t played at least one game has a strength of schedule rating of 273. Since that is the performance rating (how did you do in the games that you played against what competition) it’s going to make for some very skewed rankings when teams haven’t played.

Reaction Score
We will have to see how the Huskies look in their season opener tonight. If they thoroughly dominate the game, I think they would take over the No. 1 spot in the polls. If Dayton gives them a fight, they may well stay at No. 2. It's all meaningless this early in the season anyway and since the NCAA champion comes out of a single elimination tournament, a No. 1 ranking, while nice for recruiting, ultimately doesn't mean all that much.

To get the No. 1 ranking, don't forget that SC would have to jump over Iowa as well, who had a pretty good opening day outing. Yes, SC's win over ND by 29 points was impressive, but without Miles, was ND a legitimate No. 10 team? That's open for debate after only one game. Actually, everything is open to debate after only one game.
We don’t deserve to jump over Iowa / yet

Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s very much meaning in the Massey ratings until everyone has played at least one game. Right now, everyone who hasn’t played at least one game has a strength of schedule rating of 273. Since that is the performance rating (how did you do in the games that you played against what competition) it’s going to make for some very skewed rankings when teams haven’t played.
Takes ten games before Massey eliminates the influence of last year

Reaction Score
Yeah you do. The depth and talent isn't close. These people doing the polls are only looking at last year's finish. This is now, not last year.
1. They own scoreboard. Our winning streaks are equal at one.

2. Jumping LSU and any other loser is sufficient

Reaction Score
Yeah you do. The depth and talent isn't close. These people doing the polls are only looking at last year's finish. This is now, not last year.
Agreed. South Carolina should be #1. Sure it's early, but when you wreck a top ten like that, you get to be #1 when you look that dominant.

Reaction Score
1. They own scoreboard. Our winning streaks are equal at one.

2. Jumping LSU and any other loser is sufficient
That was then, this is now. I don't live in the past. It's this year's ranking not last year's. If they think Iowa is a better team right now, they have no idea what they're looking at.

Reaction Score
Why? That's like saying a team who won the NC last season deserves the #1 ranking to start the new season until they are knocked off.

LSU lost a lot including their PG. Remember how hard it was when UCONN had no PG and relied on Caroline and Tiffany? Neither were PG's and LSU is/will have the same problem.

Team to beat in the SEC? Maybe preseason, and maybe one game is making too much of it, but SC destroyed a top 10 team ND in their first game while LSU lost to a top 20 team who made the sweet 16 last season. I'd say it's pretty clear that SC is the team to beat in the SEC.

A lot of people (this is not directed at you) got sucked into the hype of the transfers to LSU (as well as their recruiting class with Williams) - Van Lith and Morrow were the best players on each of their teams and monster scorers. But they needed to take a ton of shots to get their points. Look at Morrow yesterday. 2-9 shooting. I think that's a lot closer to the kind of player she will be for LSU as opposed to the 25+ PPG performances she had last season. And moving Van Lith to the PG position after playing the 2 pretty much her whole college career is asking too much.

Anyway back to my point - doesn't the fact that SC destroyed #10 ND and LSU lost to #20 Colorado make SC the team to beat in the SEC? Frankly I think (and thought all summer) that LSU has more question marks than SC (or UCONN for that matter)...
My thoughts also.

Reaction Score
Agreed. South Carolina should be #1. Sure it's early, but when you wreck a top ten like that, you get to be #1 when you look that dominant.
So you think SC should jump over 5 teams, including UConn, who won by 45+, on the basis of beating a suspect #10 who was missing their best player who was also their point guard? I think that’s a little too much credit. Certainly, they should never have been lower than third but five places is just too much. They were pretty impressive though!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So you think SC should jump over 5 teams, including UConn, who won by 45+, on the basis of beating a suspect #10 who was missing their best player who was also their point guard? I think that’s a little too much credit. Certainly, they should never have been lower than third but five places is just too much. They were pretty impressive though!
Beating a “suspect” #10 on a neutral site is more impressive than beating Dayton at home. ND still has a lot of talent without Miles

Reaction Score
South Carolina blew out #10 Notre Dame in Paris yesterday, 100-71. That’s a more impressive win than (hopefully) beating Dayton at home. I think the Gamecocks have a legit claim to the early season #1 spot.
I did not watch the Dayton game, Fox Sports only aired about 3 minutes of the game and then put up a message saying game was copyrighted, did not have another source. I did see SC vs ND and I was impressed, guess I saw enough to rank them number 1 for now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We'll all have to wait until next week.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I did not watch the Dayton game, Fox Sports only aired about 3 minutes of the game and then put up a message saying game was copyrighted, did not have another source. I did see SC vs ND and I was impressed, guess I saw enough to rank them number 1 for now.

Reaction Score
The week isn't over either. South Carolina has to play another another ranked team against Maryland. If they are dominant again I can see them jumping to number 1 spot. I don't see how people are finding that so hard to believe.

Reaction Score
That's because South Carolina was #1 all season, no one was jumping them until they lost, and they didn't until the National Semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom