Week 16 - Feb 19 to 25 (games, conf standings, NET) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Week 16 - Feb 19 to 25 (games, conf standings, NET)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
7 of the AP top 11 lost, 6 of them to unranked or lower-ranked teams. Positions #3 through #12 really went soft with so many of those teams dropping games.

My prediction for what tomorrow's poll may look like:

1. SC
2. Ohio St
3. Texas
4. Stanford
5. Virginia T
6. Iowa
7. UCLA
8. USC
9. LSU
10. Oregon St
11. Colorado
12. NC State
13. Utah
14. Indiana
15. UConn
16. Kansas St
17. Gonzaga
18. Notre Dame
19. Creighton
20. Baylor
21. Duke
22. Oklahoma
23. Syracuse
24. Louisville
25. North Carolina
RV: UNLV, Fairfield, West Virginia, Princeton

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
7 of the AP top 11 lost, 6 of them to unranked or lower-ranked teams. Positions #3 through #12 really went soft with so many of those teams dropping games.

My prediction for what tomorrow's poll may look like:

1. SC
2. Ohio St
3. Texas
4. Stanford
5. Virginia T
6. Iowa
7. UCLA
8. USC
9. LSU
10. Oregon St
11. Colorado
12. NC State
13. Utah
14. Indiana
15. UConn
16. Kansas St
17. Gonzaga
18. Notre Dame
19. Creighton
20. Baylor
21. Duke
22. Oklahoma
23. Syracuse
24. Louisville
25. North Carolina
RV: UNLV, Fairfield
Sigh.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't think Duke received a single vote in the AP last week... or the Coach's Poll.

I might just eat two pieces of pie for lunch tomorrow out of protest.
Are you planning to have lunch tomorrow before or after the AP poll is announced?

Reaction Score
Good question, Triad. my response would be Indiana although, like pretty much everyone else, they're inconsistent. I'm guessing you're angling to cast doubt on Iowa's offense?

You might recall what happened when Iowa played the team touted last season as the best defensive team in the country?

An excellent response from nwhoopfan... K State.
Ummmmmmm, Ohio State would like to enter the chat.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One prediction... I'm gonna predict that Duke will be the ESPN team of the week when it comes out in a few hours.

More or less than the routine?

Depends on the pie. German Chocolate, Chocolate Cream, Dutch Apple or Coconut Cream... just one slice per sitting

Sweet Potato ??

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Gross week for the Pack. A tough week from a scheduling POV playing on the road against your 2 biggest rivals in the same week, but State didn’t rise to the challenge in the least. For the first 7 minutes of the Chapel Hill game they came out with fire and passion. The next 73 minutes of ball this week was a dumpster fire.

I saw very little fire. Very little grit. Very little cohesiveness on offense or defense for that matter. Wes Moore’s teams hang their hat on defense and for 3 games now that defense has been Swiss cheese.

As a State fan I’d like to see more on court leadership from the guard position. Rivers has been passive IMO. Not so much passive in the aspect of hunting her shot or not, but passive as a leader. I want her to play with the upmost confidence, own the moment. She should be the leader of the team - she’s the primary ball handler, the lead on ball defender, the most physically gifted athlete on the court - I’d love to see that fire in her eyes where she won’t accept anything other than a win every game every possession. Mimi Collins and Madison Hayes are the 2 that bring that fire to the team but they also rely on others to set them up offensively. The Pack is missing some on court leadership.

The Pack is also sorely missing a bench. Zoe Brooks has flashed moments of brilliance this year but has seemingly hit a wall recently. Laci Steele had a 2 or 3 game flurry mid season where it appeared she was rounding into a nice contributor with a role and that too seems to have vanished. Maddy Cox has had flashes of potential and she hustles, but she hasn’t got enough consistent minutes to show if she can grow into a back up role.

I generally agree with Wes Moores philosophy of playing the percentages and a sagging man defense to make other teams beat us on mid range jumpers and 3s. However the last 3 games that has hurt State. Truth is between James, Brooks, Hayes and Rivers this team could press the ball more. The athletes are there to do it and push tempo. Sometimes I wish he’d flip that switch and let them go a little. The half court offense has been stagnant - primarily against zone but last night vs Dukes man it was all hero ball. All one v one. That’s not when State is at their best.

State is at their best when the ball moves side to side and in and out. When Hayes and Collins are getting spot up open jumpers and defenders are scrambling to help and rotate. State has to rediscover their identity.

Truth is, State was picked 8th in the conference and was unranked preseason. It’s already been a successful year. When the team is humming they can beat anyone. But they have hit a wall right now. This is the first true adversity of the season, how do they respond ?

Reaction Score
One prediction... I'm gonna predict that Duke will be the ESPN team of the week when it comes out in a few hours.

Depends on the pie. German Chocolate, Chocolate Cream, Dutch Apple or Coconut Cream... just one slice per sitting

Sweet Potato ??

giphy.gif
As a proud North Carolinian I’d expect more from you triad. Sweetpotato is one word. The sweetpotato commission has paid good money to promote this. We are the world’s largest producer and we should give the sweetpotato the respect it deserves.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Gross week for the Pack. A tough week from a scheduling POV playing on the road against your 2 biggest rivals in the same week, but State didn’t rise to the challenge in the least. For the first 7 minutes of the Chapel Hill game they came out with fire and passion. The next 73 minutes of ball this week was a dumpster fire.

I saw very little fire. Very little grit. Very little cohesiveness on offense or defense for that matter. Wes Moore’s teams hang their hat on defense and for 3 games now that defense has been Swiss cheese.

As a State fan I’d like to see more on court leadership from the guard position. Rivers has been passive IMO. Not so much passive in the aspect of hunting her shot or not, but passive as a leader. I want her to play with the upmost confidence, own the moment. She should be the leader of the team - she’s the primary ball handler, the lead on ball defender, the most physically gifted athlete on the court - I’d love to see that fire in her eyes where she won’t accept anything other than a win every game every possession. Mimi Collins and Madison Hayes are the 2 that bring that fire to the team but they also rely on others to set them up offensively. The Pack is missing some on court leadership.

The Pack is also sorely missing a bench. Zoe Brooks has flashed moments of brilliance this year but has seemingly hit a wall recently. Laci Steele had a 2 or 3 game flurry mid season where it appeared she was rounding into a nice contributor with a role and that too seems to have vanished. Maddy Cox has had flashes of potential and she hustles, but she hasn’t got enough consistent minutes to show if she can grow into a back up role.

I generally agree with Wes Moores philosophy of playing the percentages and a sagging man defense to make other teams beat us on mid range jumpers and 3s. However the last 3 games that has hurt State. Truth is between James, Brooks, Hayes and Rivers this team could press the ball more. The athletes are there to do it and push tempo. Sometimes I wish he’d flip that switch and let them go a little. The half court offense has been stagnant - primarily against zone but last night vs Dukes man it was all hero ball. All one v one. That’s not when State is at their best.

State is at their best when the ball moves side to side and in and out. When Hayes and Collins are getting spot up open jumpers and defenders are scrambling to help and rotate. State has to rediscover their identity.

Truth is, State was picked 8th in the conference and was unranked preseason. It’s already been a successful year. When the team is humming they can beat anyone. But they have hit a wall right now. This is the first true adversity of the season, how do they respond ?
That is a great post and you pick out many of the main problems with how NC State has played recently. I still have the UCONN game saved on my DVR, and when I watch it, I see a team that is fresh, excited and playing really well together. Our most significant and impressive wins of the season were in the first month. We've been sort of treading water of late until the last week, when the bottom fell out.

As you say, there's more hero ball than team ball the last three games. The early games in the season were beautiful displays of team basketball...but the Pack has just played darn ugly for most of February. Signs of a team in decline, both physically and mentally.

But we also have to give credit to the opposition: Georgia Tech hit some truly miracle shots and we survived in OT; in the UNC game, we chose to leave the perimeter shooters wide open and got burned repeatedly...and against Duke, we were just ice cold from the tip off and were never really in the game. Shooting improved in the second half but the damage was done early in that one, and we could never get enough stops to make a serious run, though we got as close as 6 in the 4th quarter.

I would love to see State pull out of this funk they are in now but I've seen this kind of drama play out before with NC State and it rarely ends the way all Pack fans would like it to. That game with Syracuse Thursday night looms large. Based on the conference standings, a loss to Syracuse Thursday would be damaging to any hopes of retaining a top 4 seed in the upcoming ACCT. Defeating the Orange would guarantee a top 4 finish...but a loss could drop us as low as 6th, depending on who wins the other remaining conference games.

I hope the coaching staff makes the players aware of all that is at stake in that one, if the players don't truly understand that we are in the last days of the regular season and that playing together is the way to achieve the team goals.

Reaction Score
I posted a couple of weeks ago Mississippi State had 6 games left and all were winnable but none would be easy. Sure enough we've lost four straight and probably find ourselves on the bubble again. The scores have been eye popping as the team suddenly isn't playing defense apparently because the opposition has been scoring at will. I can forgive the Ole Miss OT loss but to lose to FL and KY at home isn't acceptable. I hope the team figures out what's going on or there will be quick outs in the SEC and any post season tournament for a team that had the expectation of being a NCAA tournament team.

Reaction Score
That is a great post and you pick out many of the main problems with how NC State has played recently. I still have the UCONN game saved on my DVR, and when I watch it, I see a team that is fresh, excited and playing really well together. Our most significant and impressive wins of the season were in the first month. We've been sort of treading water of late until the last week, when the bottom fell out.

As you say, there's more hero ball than team ball the last three games. The early games in the season were beautiful displays of team basketball...but the Pack has just played darn ugly for most of February. Signs of a team in decline, both physically and mentally.

But we also have to give credit to the opposition: Georgia Tech hit some truly miracle shots and we survived in OT; in the UNC game, we chose to leave the perimeter shooters wide open and got burned repeatedly...and against Duke, we were just ice cold from the tip off and were never really in the game. Shooting improved in the second half but the damage was done early in that one, and we could never get enough stops to make a serious run, though we got as close as 6 in the 4th quarter.

I would love to see State pull out of this funk they are in now but I've seen this kind of drama play out before with NC State and it rarely ends the way all Pack fans would like it to. That game with Syracuse Thursday night looms large. Based on the conference standings, a loss to Syracuse Thursday would be damaging to any hopes of retaining a top 4 seed in the upcoming ACCT. Defeating the Orange would guarantee a top 4 finish...but a loss could drop us as low as 6th, depending on who wins the other remaining conference games.

I hope the coaching staff makes the players aware of all that is at stake in that one, if the players don't truly understand that we are in the last days of the regular season and that playing together is the way to achieve the team goals.
It’s been a fun season no matter how it ends, but the team has put itself in position to do something special if they can wake up out of this slumber and get back to doing what they did in order to get here.

Reaction Score
This is the time of year where ALL players are worn out. It’s where mental toughness takes over and is the difference in teams that do and do not.

This has been an incredible season. I’m glad I’m not an AP voter. How do even figure out who to vote for? LOL. All I know is that there are probably 8-10 teams who could win it all. It’s gonna be a GREAT tournament. I’m super proud of my team but I’m not naive enough that I think they are above everybody else. I’m anxious for the SEC tournament to start and I’m excited about March Mardness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that is so, why is it that their SoS by Massey is 49 today and is estimated to be 45 at the end of the season.
I don't understand how the NCAA calculated Net SOS or really Net anything. I asked Warren Nolan once and he said it has to do with average opponent Net which isid going to be different than Ken Massey numbers. For example Georgia Tech is rated 63 by Massey and 67 Net. But the statement of fourth best is absolutely wrong. Announcers were drunk.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't understand how the NCAA calculated Net SOS or really Net anything. I asked Warren Nolan once and he said it has to do with average opponent Net which isid going to be different than Ken Massey numbers. For example Georgia Tech is rated 63 by Massey and 67 Net. But the statement of fourth best is absolutely wrong. Announcers were drunk.
AC16E636-1F75-4C84-BCF2-2A3EF5137604.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom