We need to get back in the Maui | The Boneyard

We need to get back in the Maui

Reaction Score
Would really love to be in that position next year. Maui 2020, and sights of Final Fours !!!

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is eligible to go back until 2021. Teams can only go once every 5 years I think.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is eligible to go back until 2021. Teams can only go once every 5 years I think.

I think Burnsbros23 had it right at 4 years. UNC was there in 2016 and will be back in 2020. Next year's field is Alabama, Davidson, Indiana, North Carolina, Providence, Stanford, Texas and UNLV.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Went in 2016 and even though we sucked, it's an experience to watch games in the Lahaina Civic Center. Assume we might get a slot back there in 2021, especially with the return to the Big East. Seems like there's talk of another Phil Knight tourney in 2022 so would think we'd be picked for that again if it happens.

Reaction Score
Why can't they put those kind of restrictions on Bill Walton?
lol! I love BW doing those games. He's an absolute nut job but I find him fun too listen too. Its only once a year so it doesn't wear on me like some people. I thought that duo they had doing the Charleston games was absolutely awful!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
When I was at the Atlantis a couple of weeks ago, I saw posters for their 2019 tournament which included MI and the Zags. Two teams that were there in 2015 with us. It's absolutely an every 4 year thing.

I think the Battle for the Atlantis has emerged as one of the very best holiday tournaments, if not the best. Their field is absolutely loaded this year. Plus it's much easier for us to attend :D, only a 2.5 hour flight from JFK.

When we reemerge, we'll get the invites

Reaction Score
When I was at the Atlantis a couple of weeks ago, I saw posters for their 2019 tournament which included MI and the Zags. Two teams that were there in 2015 with us. It's absolutely an every 4 year thing.

I think the Battle for the Atlantis has emerged as one of the very best holiday tournaments, if not the best. Their field is absolutely loaded this year. Plus it's much easier for us to attend :D, only a 2.5 hour flight from JFK.

Rough estimates on how much battle for atlantis cost? After just getting back from Charleston, I really want to go to early season tourneys, but I guess Charleston probably has one of the better 'surrounding town' areas for one of these tourneys. I'm not going to knock going to Maui, but I will probably never have the disposable income to go all out on that the way I could for Charleston

Reaction Score
Hurley is not a fan of long distance early season tournament. That being said, I don’t think he would pass up an invite to the Maui. Battle 4 Atlantis is looking likely for 2021

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Rough estimates on how much battle for atlantis cost? After just getting back from Charleston, I really want to go to early season tourneys, but I guess Charleston probably has one of the better 'surrounding town' areas for one of these tourneys. I'm not going to knock going to Maui, but I will probably never have the disposable income to go all out on that the way I could for Charleston

Flight can vary depending on travel dates. $ 300 to $ 500 RT, it is Thanksgiving weekend

Accommodations can be relatively cheap, $ 200 per night near or at the Atlantis (they can also be crazy expensive if you so choose)

Tickets are cheap

Food is expensive on Paradise Island, you should plan accordingly if you're on a limited budget. Pack stuff or go to the local grocery store or plan on eating burgers.. Eating in the restaurants at the Atlantis plan on at least
$ 100 per day per person. They add 27.5% to every purchase for gratuity and VAT

Reaction Score
Maybe if Phil Knight has another birthday we can get into one of these PK Invitationals

Reaction Score
Would love an excuse to go back to Maui - this time stay longer since I'm retired

Reaction Score
Where do people think we will be heading next year?

Maui and Battle4Atlantis are full from what I understand.

Reaction Score
Where do people think we will be heading next year?

Maui and Battle4Atlantis are full from what I understand.
Legends Classic. It's already been announced. Vanderbilt, USC, and Notre Dame also will join UConn in the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I feel like Atlantis would be doable. I'd never consider going all the way to Hawaii and spending my time in a gym. Charleston was really easy. In hindsight I wasted a ton of money buying tickets to all the games.

Reaction Score
I feel like Atlantis would be doable. I'd never consider going all the way to Hawaii and spending my time in a gym. Charleston was really easy. In hindsight I wasted a ton of money buying tickets to all the games.

Did Maui in 2016 - only bought tickets for UConn games. Got a lot done in a week. Spent a day in Oahu - Pearl and beaches. Played golf, swam, snuba trip, Hana, black sand beaches, blow holes, red sand beach, aquarium and a full day at Haleakala. Next time would do 2 weeks and check the other Islands.

Reaction Score
I think the Battle 4 Atlantis is becoming the new Maui. The fields seem to be better.

I bet UConn is in it 2021

Reaction Score
Legends Classic. It's already been announced. Vanderbilt, USC, and Notre Dame also will join UConn in the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

It's always nice being in NYC, but what a terrible collection of teams. Notre Dame has actually regressed worse than us, going 14-18 (3-15 in ACC) last year and missed the tourney as well as 2018.

USC has been recruiting well I believe, but has only 2 NCAA's in 6 years under Andy Enfield, and were under .500 last year. Nothing to write home about, especially while UCLA has been down. Huge missed opportunity, and probably a terrible hire (if you recall he was Dunk City's head coach).

Vanderbilt just hired Jerry Stackhouse, which was a very outside-the-box hire that I was a big fan of. Their new AD came from the NBA G League (formerly D League) and hired a former G League coach of the year in Stack. However, the team went 0-18 in SEC play last year, so I imagine this is a multi-year fix for them.

You take the opportunities to play in NYC, but to be honest, not being in MSG with this abysmal field is rough, especially when next year's team will have sky-high expectations. Not having a Maui, Phil Knight, Atlantis or even Charleston type tourney will not be as beneficial. I don't think we win in 2011 without what we did in Maui. Counterpoint, 2013-2014 played BC and Indiana, but in MSG, so comparable to next year I suppose.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the Battle 4 Atlantis is becoming the new Maui. The fields seem to be better.

I bet UConn is in it 2021

Cheaper for schools who don't want to spend the early tournament money

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone else initially read the thread title as "on the Maui"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom