Vote on the best Conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vote on the best Conference

What is the Best Conference in WCBB this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
All this talk about the Big 10. I see chatter about Iowa being this and that. My most lasting image of Iowa is a convincing loss to the hands of some wolves from Raleigh. Yeah, it was early in the season, but it still counts right?
Sure, it's part of both teams' resume. But the results of one game are just a snapshot in time. The NC State game was Iowa's worst of the season, and in general Iowa is playing much better basketball in the last month and a half.

Ohio State is a good example of the snapshot concept. On the morning of January 23rd the Buckeyes looked like one of the best teams in the country and were going to get their best player back soon after an extended injury. Just over 3 weeks later, they are in a tailspin and might not be hosting the first weekend anymore.

Reaction Score
All this talk about the Big 10. I see chatter about Iowa being this and that. My most lasting image of Iowa is a convincing loss to the hands of some wolves from Raleigh. Yeah, it was early in the season, but it still counts right?
Not for much, Triad... I'm an ACC fan but that game seems lights years ago. Those are two teams headed in different directions.

I also sat just a few rows off the court at the XL Center and saw a deep and fresh UConn team totally outclass NC State back in early season.

Different times, my friend... November to February/March is a long time in women's college basketball.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oh, you mean like the beatdown that UConn gave to Duke in November? Yeah, that counts too. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not for much, Triad... I'm an ACC fan but that game seems lights years ago. Those are two teams headed in different directions.

I also sat just a few rows off the court at the XL Center and saw a deep and fresh UConn team totally outclass NC State back in early season.

Different times, my friend... November to February/March is a long time in women's college basketball.

We tobacco roaders are supposed to stick together (except for one school). After I contributed 10 dollars last month to the Wake Forest Athletic department. :oops:

I don't think State is currently in danger of not making the NCAA's... but they just lost to a UVA team minus its top 2 players... and still has a home game vs Chapel Hill, and road trips to Blacksburg and Durham. :eek:

Oh, you mean like the beatdown that UConn gave to Duke in November? Yeah, that counts too. :rolleyes:

Yes... it counts as UConn's best win of the season. :cool: I ain't gonna let the BY forget that either. :p;) I KNOW y'all didn't see that one coming

Reaction Score
I do not know how you can say SEC is better than Big 12 when Big 12 is smaller conference with 3 teams ranked vs 2 teams for SEC. I agree that other than South Carolina what does SEC have right now? LSU is ranked high based on a horrible schedule. They have played 2 ranked teams and lost badly to one. I think the jury is still out on how good LSU really is,
Let it go. It's a thread about conference strength. If your want to argue SEC is weak, talk about teams 3-14. LSU is not the team dragging SEC down.

Reaction Score
I am not sure the Cardinal would win the Big 10.
I think you’ve put your finger on what I find disappointing about Stanford. I’d been struggling to find a way to express it. They may make it to the final four, but only because they’ll get a 1 seed’s golden road.

Reaction Score
I think you’ve put your finger on what I find disappointing about Stanford. I’d been struggling to find a way to express it. They may make it to the final four, but only because they’ll get a 1 seed’s golden road.
Their guard play was a major question mark heading into the season. For the first half or so it seemed they’d figured it out and now it appears to be an issue again. The team is inconsistently offensively.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Their guard play was a major question mark heading into the season. For the first half or so it seemed they’d figured it out and now it appears to be an issue again. The team is inconsistently offensively.
Indeed. In theory, we have all the pieces we need for a championship run: solid ball handling (Lepolo), creating off the dribble (Jones and Nivar, Bosgana), perimeter guard defense (Emma-Nnopu), shot blocking (Brink, Prechtel), three point shooting (Jump, Demetre), and reliable scoring ability and rebounding in the paint (Iriafen, Belibi, Betts).

The problem is that we don't have all those attributes in the same 5 players. Assuming Jones, Brink, and Jump are locks, you need better perimeter and guard defense than either Jones or Jump can provide, but if we go with any two of Lepolo, Emma-Nnopu, Bosgana, or Nivar, that leaves no room in a starting rotation for a second big, and that leaves an insane amount of talent (Iriafen, Belibi, Betts, and Prechtel) to come off the bench. And that's to say nothing for Demetre, who is a great shooter and distributor but neither fast enough to guard speedy guards nor physical enough to post up on defense.

I've kind of just come to acceptance that there's no way to fit these puzzle pieces together in a way that forms a reliable lineup, so Tara just has to McGyver her line-ups from game to game depending on the personnel on the other side -- notice that our two weird losses, to U$C and Washington, both came in the second games of the weekend, when there was less time (from Friday late night to Sunday morning) to practice defense based on a scouting report.

That approach could very well get us to the final four, but I honestly just don't think we have the right personnel to make a championship run. Kind of the definition of "the total is less than the sum of the parts." C'est la vie...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indeed. In theory, we have all the pieces we need for a championship run: solid ball handling (Lepolo), creating off the dribble (Jones and Nivar, Bosgana), perimeter guard defense (Emma-Nnopu), shot blocking (Brink, Prechtel), three point shooting (Jump, Demetre), and reliable scoring ability and rebounding in the paint (Iriafen, Belibi, Betts).

The problem is that we don't have all those attributes in the same 5 players. Assuming Jones, Brink, and Jump are locks, you need better perimeter and guard defense than either Jones or Jump can provide, but if we go with any two of Lepolo, Emma-Nnopu, Bosgana, or Nivar, that leaves no room in a starting rotation for a second big, and that leaves an insane amount of talent (Iriafen, Belibi, Betts, and Prechtel) to come off the bench. And that's to say nothing for Demetre, who is a great shooter and distributor but neither fast enough to guard speedy guards nor physical enough to post up on defense.

I've kind of just come to acceptance that there's no way to fit these puzzle pieces together in a way that forms a reliable lineup, so Tara just has to McGyver her line-ups from game to game depending on the personnel on the other side -- notice that our two weird losses, to U$C and Washington, both came in the second games of the weekend, when there was less time (from Friday late night to Sunday morning) to practice defense based on a scouting report.

That approach could very well get us to the final four, but I honestly just don't think we have the right personnel to make a championship run. Kind of the definition of "the total is less than the sum of the parts." C'est la vie...
There’s hope on the horizon — I mean the recruiting horizon. Nunu Agara is an excellent 2-3 in the style of Jones. Maybe even a bit quicker.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The new poll is out for week 16 and the score for all the teams receiving votes is:
6-Big 10 has #2, 6, 7, 12, 16, 25
7-ACC has #9, 10, 11, 22, 23, 30, 31
4-Big12 has #13, 19, 20, 28
6-PAC12 has #3, 8, 14, 17, 21, 37
4-SEC has #1, 5, 31, 37
4-Big East has #4, 15, 29, 34

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads