Vote on the best Conference | The Boneyard

Vote on the best Conference

What is the Best Conference in WCBB this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Quotes from the Thursday reveal had one from Teri Moren of Indiana touting the Big 10 as best conference based on their 6 teams in the Top 16. The Massey and Warran Nolan metrics rank on the "whole conference" (top and bottom teams) with both saying the PAC-12 is the best. To me, I don't care if a conference has a bunch of Middling teams like the PAC-12 or ACC but at least the PAC-12 has Stanford as an Elite 8/Final Four team. I think "the best conference has to have 5 or 6 top 20 teams to warrant any claim. To that end, I agree with Teri-The Big 10. I would rank the Big 12 as the worst.
B10, PAC, ACC, Big East, SEC, B12. What does your vote say and feel free to offer your reasoning/opinion after your vote.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is top heavy; it's pretty bad at the bottom. The overused "there are no off nights in X conference" thing certainly does not apply to the B1G. There are in fact several off night kind of teams.

The SEC is exceeding my wildest dreams for being grossly overrated before the season started. Remove South Carolina and it's pretty much junk. I'm not so sure it's better than the Big 12.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Funny how the Pac-12 conference is ranked first by NET while also sporting by far the fewest non-conference losses of any conference...

Fewest non conference losses? Because they didn’t play anybody out of conference. When they did, they lost. Show me the non-conference wins over Quad One teams. Over ranked non-conference opponents? PAC was the LSU of non -conference scheduling. (Okay, that’s an exaggeration and I do rank the PAC above the SEC :oops:)

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is top heavy; it's pretty bad at the bottom. The overused "there are no off nights in X conference" thing certainly does not apply to the B1G. There are in fact several off night kind of teams.

The SEC is exceeding my wildest dreams for being grossly overrated before the season started. Remove South Carolina and it's pretty much junk. I'm not so sure it's better than the Big 12.
I gotta agree about the SEC

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Fewest non conference losses? Because they didn’t play anybody out of conference. When they did, they lost. Show me the non-conference wins over Quad One teams. Over ranked non-conference opponents? PAC was the LSU of non -conference scheduling. (Okay, that’s an exaggeration and I do rank the PAC above the SEC :oops:)
What is the point of relying on NET rankings when you don't want to actually rely on them? As I said, by NET rankings the conference is number one. I tend to prefer Massey, and his rankings have tended to be very predictive in March. But the funny thing is the Pac-12 is number one according to Massey, too. So I guess we have hacked all the computers...

Reaction Score
What is the point of relying on NET rankings when you don't want to actually rely on them? As I said, by NET rankings the conference is number one. I tend to prefer Massey, and his rankings have tended to be very predictive in March. But the funny thing is the Pac-12 is number one according to Massey, too. So I guess we have hacked all the computers...
Not getting in the middle of a chat between two of the more salient visiting posters on the Boneyard... TheFarmFan, if your team plays down the stretch like it's played the last couple of games, I'd be with you, but the Cardinal needs to have more consistency, like say, Utah?;)

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Not getting in the middle of a chat between two of the more salient visiting posters on the Boneyard... TheFarmFan, if your team plays down the stretch like it's played the last couple of games, I'd be with you, but the Cardinal needs to have more consistency, like say, Utah?;)
Haha, I've become kind of sanguine about the pros and cons of this team, because I feel like Haley Jones gets up for the key games and kind of coasts against lesser competition (see today's 1-8 shooting effort against bottom-dweller ASU), so almost no loss will shock me, but I'm proud of her efforts in the higher profile contests against the likes of Arizona/Utah/UCLA. She also seems to have given up on trying to develop a three-point shot, which I think is really going to hurt her in the W, but it is what it is, and they're genuinely (mostly) a really fun team to watch after some years in the late 2010s where Tara's teams couldn't find offensive flow to save their lives.

And I have no skin the fight about best conference, and don't have enough time to watch enough games to give a fair eye test assessment. All I know is I tend to distrust partially selected invocation of statistical data, because NET doesn't just count "Q1" games - it counts them all. So either consider them all, or don't consider NET. Same for Massey, etc. All that said, if I were a B1G fan, I'd be pretty stoked to have 5 legit teams this season and 2 more (don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-booty, U$C & UCeLoutA) coming soon. Maybe not the best top to bottom, but definitely "most improved" over the past few seasons.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If I look at the relevance for which conference could have the most teams in the Sweet 16, then elite 8 and have 2 or more teams in the Final Four, it is not the PAC12. I agree the Big 10 has some terrible bottom team but they also have significantly better elite teams as well. I don't see Utah or Colorado beating any of Indiana, Iowa, tOSU, Maryland and a toss-up on Michigan. While Stanford has a top 3 team on paper, they just seem to be missing the Lexi Hull more than one could have imagined. I am not sure the Cardinal would win the Big 10.
That said, I guess I could see 2 teams from the PAC 12 making the Sweet 16 with maybe a 3rd depending on the bracketing. My guess is only 1 though. I definitely only see the Stanford Cardinal as the PAC12 team to make an Elite 8 or Final Four.
From a Big 12 perspective I think only Texas is can be Top 16 and maybe Oklahoma. I wouldn't be surprised if zero teams made the Sweet 16 from this conference. I don't think any make the Elite 8 or obviously, the Final Four.
The ACC is now very interesting in that Duke, Virginia Tech and maybe Notre Dame all could qualify for the Sweet 16. However for the Elite 8, Duke needs favorable matchups, Virginia Tech seems to playing its best right now but can they continue. ND, I think will have trouble adjusting to high scoring teams and will max out at the Sweet 16 if they even get that far.
SEC has SC and LSU, who despite the weak OOC is still a good team who is easily able to make a Sweet 16 with Reese, Morris and Mulkey. Tennessee would need very favorable bracketing but has the dynamic due to make a Sweet 16.
The Big East has UConn and Villanova but as we saw with Creighton last year, they are a wild card who has the same personal to make a similar run, however improbable. My bet is only UConn and Villanova.
I think Indiana, Iowa and one of tOSU, Maryland or Michigan all could make a Sweet 16. Indiana and Iowa both should make an Elite 8 and if tOSU finds its mojo again, they too could.
That is why I have it as B10 number 1. I don't care if the PAC gets 5 mediocre team in the NCAAT (Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, UCLA) as none them as noted by @visitingcock have earned any real distinction to warrant true accolades.

Reaction Score
NET ranking has LSU at 3. Pac-12 blows a lot of bad teams out just like LSU. Therefore, the high Net ranking. I do think overall the Pac-12 is slightly better than the SEC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The SEC is exceeding my wildest dreams for being grossly overrated before the season started. Remove South Carolina and it's pretty much junk. I'm not so sure it's better than the Big

I do not know how you can say SEC is better than Big 12 when Big 12 is smaller conference with 3 teams ranked vs 2 teams for SEC. I agree that other than South Carolina what does SEC have right now? LSU is ranked high based on a horrible schedule. They have played 2 ranked teams and lost badly to one. I think the jury is still out on how good LSU really is,

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I do not know how you can say SEC is better than Big 12 when Big 12 is smaller conference with 3 teams ranked vs 2 teams for SEC. I agree that other than South Carolina what does SEC have right now? LSU is ranked high based on a horrible schedule. They have played 2 ranked teams and lost badly to one. I think the jury is still out on how good LSU really is,
Well, LSU while maybe overrated at #5 is still better than any of the Texas/Oklahoma or Iowa State group. This time next week Iowa State will not be ranked as they will lose tonight vs. Texas and probably on Saturday AT Baylor. So, I also take 2 top 10 schools from the SEC vs. 2/3 17th-22nd ranked Big12 teams. If Tennessee was in the Big 12, I think they would be vying for the Title with Texas.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is better than anyone in any conference right now. However, I am not sure that LSU beats OU or Texas. Georgia recently took them to overtime and could have easily won that game. LSU beat a last place A&M team by only 6 points. At this point I do not think it is a given LSU is better than OU or UT.

Reaction Score
Well, LSU while maybe overrated at #5 is still better than any of the Texas/Oklahoma or Iowa State group. This time next week Iowa State will not be ranked as they will lose tonight vs. Texas and probably on Saturday AT Baylor. So, I also take 2 top 10 schools from the SEC vs. 2/3 17th-22nd ranked Big12 teams. If Tennessee was in the Big 12, I think they would be vying for the Title with Texas.
LSU would finish behind OU, Texas, Baylor, Iowa St in the same conference.

Reaction Score
LSU has played one currently ranked team and lost badly.

Reaction Score
The SEC is way overrated. USC is far and away the best team in the nation but LSU still has a lot to prove. And Tennessee is not very good. The rest of the conference is just bad. That said, the ACC has a lot of solid teams. None are great but a lot are good. The PAC 12 and BIG TEN are about equal with a slight edge to the Big Ten. The Big East has UConn and Villanova but I don't see anyone else from the conference capable of a run like Creighton made last year. Lastly, the Big 12 is pretty average.
1. Big Ten
2. Pac 12
3. ACC
4. Big 12
5. Big East
6. SEC

Reaction Score
The SEC is way overrated. USC is far and away the best team in the nation but LSU still has a lot to prove. And Tennessee is not very good. The rest of the conference is just bad. That said, the ACC has a lot of solid teams. None are great but a lot are good. The PAC 12 and BIG TEN are about equal with a slight edge to the Big Ten. The Big East has UConn and Villanova but I don't see anyone else from the conference capable of a run like Creighton made last year. Lastly, the Big 12 is pretty average.
1. Big Ten
2. Pac 12
3. ACC
4. Big 12
5. Big East
6. SEC
Welcome back to the AP ratings, USC, but at 25th ranking it's hard for me to see USC as the best team in the nation... that stature belongs to SC!;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1. Big Ten
2. Pac 12
3. ACC
4. Big 12
5. Big East
6. SEC
That's pretty much my list.

Yes, to those who said the bottom of the B1G is weak, but 7 teams are decent or better. In the PAC it is 6, still half the conference. But I think this year the B1G has bigger upside. The ACC also fits this pattern, but I'm not seeing more dominant teams than in other conferences.

Compared to prior years, the SEC is just disappointing. That said, ranking the Big East above them is generous, but not unrealistic; still I rank them last for being such a disappointment.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Tennessee was in the Big 12, I think they would be vying for the Title with Texas.
What my friend? Based on what? Tennessee has lost to everyone they've played who was halfway decent, other than Colorado (darn you Buffs!). They wouldn't be in contention to win any P5 conference as far as I'm concerned. That they might just be the 3rd best team in the SEC tells you how bad the SEC is.

Reaction Score
Welcome back to the AP ratings, USC, but at 25th ranking it's hard for me to see USC as the best team in the nation... that stature belongs to SC!;)
Its funny, but you have it kinda reversed according to dicta of the patent courts.

South Carolina tried to trademark and interlockingSC design of a baseball cap. Southern Cal opposed it. "USC" was not the issue. "SC" was. The court went through everything about "SC" and determined that South Carolina could not patent its state abbreviation because Southern Cal had a long established usage of "SC". Indeed, many if not most Californians, refer to the trojans as "SC" rather than "USC."

Meh, I use SCar and SoCal so there's no doubt who I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
Its funny, but you have it kinda reversed according to dicta of the patent courts.

South Carolina tried to trademark and interlockingSC design of a baseball cap. Southern Cal opposed it. "USC" was not the issue. "SC" was. The court went through everything about "SC" and determined that South Carolina could not patent its state abbreviation because Southern Cal had a long established usage of "SC". Indeed, many if not most Californians, refer to the trojans as "SC" rather than "USC."

Meh, I use SCar and SoCal so there's no doubt who I'm talking about.
:confused::cool:;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All this talk about the Big 10. I see chatter about Iowa being this and that. My most lasting image of Iowa is a convincing loss to the hands of some wolves from Raleigh. Yeah, it was early in the season, but it still counts right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom