Volkswagen Experts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Volkswagen Experts

Reaction Score
I know a kid who has a chance to buy a 2017 Passat .I’m assuming lower model with 112,000 miles on it relatively ($12K )inexpensively
I’m a Toyota guy and my understanding is even the Turbo 4 cylinder is pretty much done at 100,000. I understand German car repairs tend to be pricy.
They can’t afford expensive repairs but need a vehicle to get to work.
If it was a Camry , or Accord , Civic , or Corolla it’s still in the break stage. But I’m uncertain on VW durability.
Good or Bad idea

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
If you want to know what is a good used car look at resale prices from 2yrs ago. Brands with higher retained value are what you should look at - indicative of less\cheaper repairs. I'm sure you can guess that generally speaking Japanese > German.

Today's prices are super messed up especially if you want something on the less expensive end - the dealers\sellers know there is nothing left and prices are just dumb.

Reaction Score
The 2017 Passat 2.0t is a fairly reliable vehicle. That said, 12k for one with 125,000 miles is scary. I bought one for my son two years ago for 16k with 12,000 miles and it was showroom ready. Granted, this was pre-pandemic, but I’d run from that car at $12,000.

Reaction Score
Had an Audi A4 2.0 turbo (2005). It’s a VW product. After 85,000 miles you can expect the check engine light to come on every other month. Fluids are not normal and mechanics need to know what their doing to work on them.

Reaction Score
Lol because engine blocks are literally containing explosions. All the intake does is let air pass into the engine.
But the manifold is attached to the block and I’m sure is at some pretty high temps. I’ve had numerous cars without a plastic manifold go to 150k + miles. The Tiguan manifold crapped out at 51k. And they switched back to aluminum. If it worked so well why switch back?

Reaction Score
But the manifold is attached to the block and I’m sure is at some pretty high temps. I’ve had numerous cars without a plastic manifold go to 150k + miles. The Tiguan manifold crapped out at 51k. And they switched back to aluminum. If it worked so well why switch back?
your general understanding of how a combustion engine works is flawed. the intake manifold isn't attached to the block. there aren't any explosions in the intake manifold. it's literally just a passage for air.

i don't know why VW couldn't make a plastic intake manifold. maybe because they still can't make electronics even though everyone can figure those out too.

Reaction Score
your general understanding of how a combustion engine works is flawed. the intake manifold isn't attached to the block. there aren't any explosions in the intake manifold. it's literally just a passage for air.

i don't know why VW couldn't make a plastic intake manifold. maybe because they still can't make electronics even though everyone can figure those out too.
I understand there is no combustion there. Always thought the intake manifold was attached to the engine and thus would get exposed to heat. I stand corrected.

Didn’t realize plastic was the norm. Only time I knew about it was when it failed. And that my mechanic thought it was was junk.

Reaction Score
I understand there is no combustion there. Always thought the intake manifold was attached to the engine and thus would get exposed to heat. I stand corrected.

Didn’t realize plastic was the norm. Only time I knew about it was when it failed. And that my mechanic thought it was was junk.
it goes air box -> air filter -> air intake tube -> throttle body -> intake manifold -> head(s) -> block

the combustion chamber is in the heads and the heads are open to the block where the piston moves up and down compressing the air, while the spark occurs in the combustion chamber of the head and the fuel injectors dump fuel either: into the bottom of the intake manifold (port injection) or directly into the cylinder (direct injection).

with port injection, essentially what happens is that the fuel is dumped into the into manifold where it mixes with the air coming into the manifold. but it doesn't combust there - it gets sucked down into the cylinders (what you're calling the block) and then with the spark from the spark plugs, combusts as the piston compresses the air. This is what they call "timing."

any time they are setting your timing, they're setting when the piston is at the upmost position to account for when the burn happens

direct injection creates the mixture within the cylinder and is why it's more efficient.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not sure what the heck you guys are talking about? "Service"? "Oil"?

I'll tell you what, though. The maintenance on my Chevy Bolt is brutal!! I have to wash at least once a year! Oh, and I heard the cabin air filter needs to be changed at some point.
Yeah, the Bolt is just a peach.
01A406A4-3A17-4D8F-B005-5581D5DA4532.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, the Bolt is just a peach.
. View attachment 74468
Aw, come on. I mean, sure, it might spontaneously combust, but think of the fuel savings!!

Actually, that recall worked out great for me. I've owned it for 3.5 years (almost halfway through the battery warranty), and now they're replacing the battery for free. I assume this resets my warranty, and, even if not, I have a brand new battery.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
BMW, Audi, low end Benz - all have dropped great craftmanship for mass production and I don't think they have it in them to do so - most are less than acceptable for long term usage
The Japanese and Korean automakers have somewhat mastered the idea that automobiles shouldn't die once they reach 100,000 miles.

Reaction Score
Wife had a Tiguan....our mechanic was not a fan. I know VW/Audi have issues at about 100k if they use a timing belt instead of a chain. Her tiguan had a plastic intake manifold that went right after the warranty period.

When we were looking for another vehicle...I said anything but a VW or Audi.

If you want reliability can't beat Honda or Toyota IMO
I love my Honda, traded in a Civic at 185,000 miles, and got $3000 for the trade in for another new Civic 3 years ago, present mileage is almost 130,000 miles and still going strong with a 39mpg average. On VW’s, my wife loves them, leased a Jetta SEL for her three years ago, great little car. At the end of the lease gave it back to them and they gave us $17,000 towards a new lease on another VW three weeks ago. We leased the new VW AWD Taos, last I checked the odometer 320mi and counting. VW’s hold there value exceptionally well, and are built like tanks, but I also have my doubts on reliability, hence I wouldn’t dare buy one, if you like VW’s only lease them. Loads of room for our two large dogs.

Reaction Score
You know better than I but I always read those piano tuners made good money.
$165 for 30-45 min of work, although we have a cheapie that we’re trying to keep in serviceable shape for the kids (an old spinet from the 1950’s that he keeps telling us really needs to be replaced). I imagine it’s a significant step up for tuning a baby grand or even a decent upright.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Long-time Audi/VW owner.

Do not buy one.

The only thing they are good for is training you to be a BMW owner. If you go straight from normal car repairs to BMW car repairs, you will be killed by shock, A Volkswagen will condition you to insane repairs and provide the training you‘ll need to own a BMW.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The 2017 Passat 2.0t is a fairly reliable vehicle. That said, 12k for one with 125,000 miles is scary. I bought one for my son two years ago for 16k with 12,000 miles and it was showroom ready. Granted, this was pre-pandemic, but I’d run from that car at $12,000.
Honestly, I don't think the car is a problem in a generic sense. But this one...back away slowly. There are a lot of other cars at $12k that will be better choices.

That said: wow. My 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT that my daughter drives is now worth about $8k more than it was two years ago. My X5 is selling for the same price I paid two years ago, it might have gone up a bit. Insane.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think the car is a problem in a generic sense. But this one...back away slowly. There are a lot of other cars at $12k that will be better choices.

That said: wow. My 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT that my daughter drives is now worth about $8k more than it was two years ago. My X5 is selling for the same price I paid two years ago, it might have gone up a bit. Insane.

The car is a problem in a generic sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As the saying goes, nothing is more expensive than a cheap German car.
So far, among my three used BMWs, my unexpected (not oil, brakes, tires) expenses have been zero. Cars are just generally a lot better now. We like Volvos, but those have been by far the most problematic cars we've owned.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Avoid all BMWs from 2008 or so onwards. Avoid anything made by Volkswagen/Audi.

You’ll have better luck with Mercedes and Porsche, although repairs are typically stratospheric in cost.

Reaction Score
Avoid all BMWs from 2008 or so onwards. Avoid anything made by Volkswagen/Audi.

You’ll have better luck with Mercedes and Porsche, although repairs are typically stratospheric in cost.
I have owned 6 Volkswagens since 2004, Zero issues. I still have 3 of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom